Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2021 3:20 AM
Jul 2020
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
On to the 5th matches we go.
Pacing of the story is slowing down and down.
Shinobu's leg is really bothering her and I find it difficult to see it healing so quickly in between matches. Fingers crossed it doesnt affect her too much.
Wonder who that Narihara guy looked like though. Seemed familiar ;)
A round of applause for the incredible career of Yamashiro Kyoko. Praise be.
Jun 7, 2021 4:41 AM
May 2021
I am rooting for Shinobu in the fifth Queen match for the exact same reason I am rooting for Suou in the fifth Meijin match and Arata back in the West-East Challengers. The reason being they don’t have anything left if they lose that specific match.

For Arata, he had been in the West-East Challengers last year too. Everyone expects him to be there this year too, so it has to be him. When compared to Taichi, Arata even tries to get to college with karuta while Taichi has been top of the year (and when his grade drops its still in the top group) for all his high school life. Not saying that because Taichi is good at everything so Arata should always win at karuta, but the West-East Challengers is directly connecting to Arata’s lifelong goal to be the Meijin. Had it been a Class A tournament like Yoshino or High School Championship, where it’s an official match but not directly connected to being the Meijin, I might root for Taichi for fun since he likes to change his play style and so far most of his impromptu styles are interesting. So Arata vs Taichi, in being the challenger this year? An easy win for Arata for me. Taichi had a recurring “the cards don’t matter to me, I don’t necessarily like karuta, I just want to mess with everyone” theme this year too, somewhat filthy karuta he adopted from Suou and even if he became the challenger, him switching from adapting to Suou’s karuta to making a play style that can surpass Suou in such a short amount of time isn’t possible with the amount of effort he also puts in studying. And in order to show that Arata has a chance with Suou, he needed to beat Taichi with a big gap. Had Arata won with a 1 card difference then it won’t be as impressive. It would mean it doesn’t matter who challenges Suou, their ability is equal. That’s why I’m okay with Arata winning with a slide. It doesn’t necessarily have to mean Taichi isn’t good, since he gave good performance in the first two matches. But it needs to end with something that would make it convincing that he stands a chance with Suou, so that the Meijin matches will be something to look forward to.

For Suou in the fifth Meijin match. Yukiko-san and his cousins are watching, and the reader from the fourth game was his favoured reader too, and if the next reader is Kuzuryuu-san then he has a big advantage against Arata since he has all the seven readers recording for a long time already. From Suou’s narrative in chapter 235, it looks like either he’d love karuta for real or he would keep his word and leave the karuta world, but as the strongest. Also it would be funny for the Karuta Association. They believed Arata can eliminate the big headache that Suou is since even before Arata played the Queen in the second year, but it turns out Suou will also be a big headache even when leaving karuta. Suou has a timer, time he can still be “something”, make use of himself in karuta, until his eyes get way worse. And what better timing would it be, than the first Meijin match Yukiko-san is able to see up close? Awaiting the break where possibly they will talk again. Suou wanted to visit his hometown, but didn’t. Now the reason he wanted to visit has come to his own match, where he is still the Meijin, I don’t see any reason he should lose to Arata, who’s still in his peak and whose first time being a challenger is now. Arata has managed to win the first two matches, both of which Suou somehow didn’t have a drive for. I don’t see him winning against Suou with his drive to win, in his first try being a challenger. Suou was a genius who made it so fast to class A and then being the Meijin, without trying to even care about karuta as the game itself.

For Shinobu in the fifth Meijin match. There are many “she will be friends with Chihaya once she loses to her” theories, and it’s true, but also she lost already. Twice, in the third and fourth game. It’s also Chihaya’s first time being an East representative, then a challenger. Chihaya is gifted and greedy, but Shinobu is skilled and hardworking. I don’t think Shinobu can even be defined by “hardworking”, she sacrificed her whole childhood to find something she was good at and it happened that the thing was karuta. She tried to make a profession out of karuta. Chihaya just jumped in, not wanting to leave her alone. Chihaya doesn’t want to be a professional karuta player. She wants to be a teacher (karuta club advisor/coach as a side job that comes with being a teacher). Shinobu’s title in karuta when she’s still active is determining her whole future plan as a professional karuta player that she aims to be. If Shinobu was to lose, I would hope it happens when Shinobu finds new things to confide in or new people. So far after she lost to Arata again in the third nationals, she has made friends/ally with Kokoro-chan, Momo-chan, and the blunderer. She even made time to practice together with Arata, sometimes in his house and sometimes in hers, and she even won against Arata. She couldn’t visualise winning against Arata for years, but she could now. Chihaya is at her peak, but Shinobu has always been in her peak. If Chihaya loses, she can confide to Mizusawa members and Shiranami members and her family. She would be told to focus on entrance exam for college. Shinobu? Her grandmother’s words were the ones that made her want to create a profession. How would she come back when she lost the title? Also wasn’t Shinobu also planning to move out of her grandmother’s house starting fall? I don’t want her to leave brokenhearted.

Also somehow a parallel to chapter 164 with Arata/Taichi/Chihaya. Shinobu holding Arata by the collar, paralleling Arata holding Taichi by the collar. Then the tasuki scene. Shinobu spreading out her tasuki and pushing it onto Arata’s chest, paralleling Chihaya freeing her headband and putting it on Taichi’s neck.
Jun 7, 2021 5:24 AM
Sep 2015
Omaigad now i'm slowly shifting to want Suou to win the title over Arata, his development is so great! But no, Arata must win this match. Where are you Yuu your next-door childhoodfriend is in peril! Come asaap.

I cant event wait 1 months again to know what would happen during the 3rd break! Chihaya card Will definitly help those 2, the question is when!
Jun 7, 2021 9:52 AM
Mar 2015
So many interesting things Suo fist pump after he won Yukiko crying as her glasses fell off after Suo won
Chia refusing Chihaya and Arata
Shinobu in a lot of pain fought back for 4 cards to reach luck of the draw The god told her that she would be the winner but she was not called At the end Shinobu saw her gods being packed away in a box by Chihaya who seemed to be climbing the mountain ahead of her
The thought she might not be queen caused her to grab Arata and ask him to take her tasuki to Omi Jingu to pray at the shrine
Kyoko is important to this chapter it is her last reading Her emotional reading helped take Suo to his win in this match When Chihaya wins she stares at Kyoko and says "Sorry" because she knows Kyoko will no longer be doing what she loves
landofthekwtJun 8, 2021 8:00 AM
Jun 17, 2021 5:49 PM
Nov 2017
I think it was a forgone conclusion that the Meijin and Queen matches would go to a decisive game 5 and I think we can probably conclude that our protagonists will win their matches (PLEASE surprise me). I would bet that it will come down to some dramatic finish in both games like through a final luck of the draw with a special card winning it (Chihayafuru perhaps?). The real question is how we exactly reach that destination. Chihaya already had plot armor to aid her but now with Shinobu’s injury, it seems less suspenseful unless by some miracle Shinobu is able to play at her full capabilities and Yuki Suetsugu throws the story for a loop.

I’m going to guess that Arata in the final match puts on Chihaya’s tasuki and is able to visualize Taichi, Chihaya, and his Grandfather behind him pushing him on to victory. I assume something similar will happen with Chihaya where she’ll win through the strength of her dedication and those who have stood beside her.

As far as who has the most to lose, I think both Shinobu and Chihaya have the most at stake. Suo, while suddenly finding some passion for Karuta in that last match, has never truly loved the game and won’t be able to play at his same level in the future with his fading eyesight. He’s also smart and capable, attending and likely FINALLY graduating from a national university. Arata is also smart outside of Karuta, has been accepted into college, and is youthful enough to retain his skills in the game and continue to play. The story is a bit different for the girls. We’ve already seen Shinobu struggle with any basic employment and know that she doesn’t have some of the key social skills to make it too far. I also don’t think the story has ever really suggested that she has much academic prospects, so her future beyond Karuta is uncertain at best. If we know anything about Chihaya, it’s that she’s all about Karuta but pretty dense outside of that. If this were not fiction, there would seemingly be no way that she could possibly get into an institution of higher education and it’s uncertain what her job prospects would be like. Lucky for her, she’s the main character so undoubtedly everything will work out for her.
KhezJul 19, 2021 2:48 PM
Jun 18, 2021 8:27 AM
Nov 2017
Khez said:
As far as who has the most to lose, I think both Shinobu and Chihaya have the most at stake.

Just to add a bit more context, I do think that Shinobu has the most to lose of everyone and you can really feel her desperation at the end of the chapter (I love and hate how much this series really transmits emotions from images and words to the reader). As mentioned in a previous post, unlike Chihaya whose connection to karuta came at the age of 12 and through Arata's passion, Shinobu has sacrificed her entire life (and really her whole self) to the game of karata. While recently she has grown a bit as a character and managed to touch the outside world, she's been trapped in that lonely "wasteland" or atop that mountain peak for most of her life. She doesn't understand people nor society writ large, just karata. Without karata, to her, she's nothing. She feels as if her only talent in life is karata which is why she has striven so hard to become the first professional. If she loses in the Queen match, I can't imagine the grief that will consume her or what fate will have in store. While I can only assume, much like any fictitious work, that the story will resolve her plight, I do really empathize with her and her struggles at this moment.
Nov 16, 2021 1:49 AM

Oct 2017
Suo san won, just one more and he'll be able to do it. Please win the last match too Suo san.

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.