Forum Settings
Forums

[Manga Readers Only!] What do you guys think of the ending, almost 3 weeks after it has ended?

Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 30, 2021 9:04 PM
Nov 2019
Honestly, I still love the ending. While I do think it's still a bit rushed at some scenes, and definitely needs some clarification in some ways, like seeing how the world treats Eldians now, and what the rest of the world looks like, as well as translating it better, but other than that, I really loved the ending. Obviously, there are reasons to dislike it, but I feel a little alone, because a lot of people seem to hate on it, and say that I have trash taste just because I like the ending, and refuse to listen why I liked it. Honestly, the people who are saying, "Oh, you didn't understand it, it's too deep for you," or, "You only liked it because your favorite character lived, and ignored all the bad writing in the ending," are just obnoxious and stupid.

Though anyways, what do you guys think of the ending? Try to explain why or why not you liked the ending, hated it, or were indifferent to it.

Though, don't be that delusional person who says anything beyond 123 wasn't canon. That's stupid. Whether you like it or not, you do not define the Canon. That's up to the author.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 30, 2021 9:32 PM
Mar 2021
would u like the essay or the shorrt af summary
Apr 30, 2021 9:37 PM
Sep 2020
The ending was pretty good. We all knew it was going to end up like this after the recent events. Some fans may have found the ending rushed, I also feel like it was kinda rushed but it wasn't that bad that would make you feel disappointed.

The only reason people r hating it is cuz of the rushing of things and some fans were thinking that there would be a plot twist at the ending.

I don't know why people are saying like it should have been ended like this or that, it's upto the author to decide how it's going to end
Apr 30, 2021 9:41 PM
Degenerate Soda

Nov 2017
I didn't think it was a bad as a lot of people say it is, that being said, I'd still say that wasn't the best.
Apr 30, 2021 9:47 PM

Jan 2020
I'm glad Isayama got to finish his story after all these years of hard work

Apr 30, 2021 9:55 PM

Sep 2020
Dead,i felt my life sucked out of my body,anti-climatic ending, wasted potential,almost on par with Jojo part 4 ending(at least jjba part 4 is divisive about team Kira and team jotaro),but what makes me scared is its completed chapter

like why the mods don't set chapter 139 as are completed?, even some of them make a review at chap 139 but called preliminary, does yams want to make an alternate end of Evangelion? like suddenly next month rumbling will start again
Apr 30, 2021 10:22 PM
Dec 2018
Disappointment, building one of the greatest characters of anime for 11 years and just having a complete character assasination at the end hurts.
Apr 30, 2021 10:37 PM
Jul 2019
I feel nothing. I moved on from the story faster that what I had expected before reading the ending. That's how underwhelming it was.

I still laugh on the memes done about the ending though.
Apr 30, 2021 10:43 PM
Sep 2019
Honestly my only problem with the ending was and still is eren having romantic feelings for Mikasa. Totally ruined my ships. I was shipping eren with historia and Mikasa with Jean. And its RUINED! COMPLETELY RUINED! *flips table*
Apr 30, 2021 10:53 PM

Jul 2017
My problem with ending was the love theme that came out of the left field in the last 2 chapter which was never a focus and It being answer and the thing that began the curse and also ending it kinda felt like it was really unneeded
May 1, 2021 2:49 AM
Oct 2020
I think it’s not good nor bad it’s ok
May 1, 2021 3:08 AM

Jan 2021
I just feel disappointed.
May 1, 2021 6:12 AM

Feb 2021
Disappointment. My journey was good untill chap 134
May 1, 2021 6:38 AM

Dec 2013
I still feel a little disappointed and frustrated with how the manga ended. It really was a dumb ending...
May 1, 2021 9:30 AM
Apr 2021
The mother part bother me the most...

Anyway, according to the interview of the creator, he think the final arc is not present well and wrote good enough to reader because of his ability... He feel regret for the ending too, 8 more pages (at most?) will be added to comic VOL 34 to patch the ending...
shanmeMay 1, 2021 9:34 AM
May 1, 2021 9:34 AM

Aug 2018
My opinions are still mostly the same, it was a bit anti-climax for how long the series has been building up.

Also shouldn't this go on the manga sub forum?
_______I like rocks__
May 1, 2021 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
deep down i hope that they'll make an anime original ending
May 1, 2021 10:17 AM
Nov 2019
I grew to like the ending a lot over time, it didn't assassinate characters like so many claimed and it stuck to it's main themes that were built over the course of the story, rewatching has really gave me a new perspective on the ending, and overall it was a satisfying conclusion for me and a very good end, not perfect, but very good. however my main gripe is that I didn't feel anything while reading it. It was the last chapter to one of my favourite stories of all time but it didn't give me enough time to breathe and feel a lot of the emotions I wanted to feel, I only felt them after the fact and after reading into it more. So I feel like it was a bit rushed, and going off of isayamas recent interview, he agrees as well that he had trouble portraying his themes and messages well onto the page, at least in a way for the average joe like myself to understand completely while reading. AND it also confirmed that this is the ending he wanted to go with, so ya'll can take off that tinfoil hat now. But the building blocks are there to make a perfect conclusion, and in some ways it still is, it's just missing that "umph". I personally think a lot of my problems with how it was paced will be fixed in the anime, isayama will have plenty of chances to change or add some things he feels need to be changed or added, but overall all a whole episode dedicated to the last chapter would make it flow better I think. That and the incredible voice performance and music will surely elevate it
JJ_joseMay 1, 2021 10:28 AM
May 1, 2021 11:16 AM
Jan 2021
Although some parts were a bit rushed, It think it was a good ending for aot. Some people didn’t like how the scouts still have some enemies but I personally think that it’s a good detail because there will always be people in the world who refuse to accept you. I will say that I didn’t really like how Mikasa still clings to Eren. I wish she was shown with the rest of the scouts going on missions and being her own independent person. But besides that I think the ending was pretty good.
May 1, 2021 12:51 PM

Oct 2019
Kytren said:
Dead,i felt my life sucked out of my body,anti-climatic ending, wasted potential,almost on par with Jojo part 4 ending(at least jjba part 4 is divisive about team Kira and team jotaro),but what makes me scared is its completed chapter

like why the mods don't set chapter 139 as are completed?, even some of them make a review at chap 139 but called preliminary, does yams want to make an alternate end of Evangelion? like suddenly next month rumbling will start again
apparently theyre waiting until the last vol is out until setting the number of chapters
May 1, 2021 5:26 PM
Dec 2020
We are the same Reiner, I killed my mom and you killed my mom. I’m a simp, you’re a simp. You killed hundreds of thousands of people on military orders, I wiped out 80% of the earth’s population because I’m a vengeful piece of shit. We’re really two peas in a pod if you think about it.
May 1, 2021 11:32 PM
Dec 2017
I loved the ending, but it could have been a little more elaborate. I wanted to see the new world with 20% of remaining population. But whatever, it was good, I felt content. I don't care what others say
May 2, 2021 1:05 AM
Apr 2021
Isayama should just get canceled for that abomination of an ending
May 2, 2021 1:06 AM
Apr 2021
s4gge said:
never gonna happen
May 2, 2021 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
SUCKMAHDLMAO said:
s4gge said:
never gonna happen

i know right. still hoping tho...
May 3, 2021 1:27 AM
Aug 2019
JJ_jose said:
I grew to like the ending a lot over time, it didn't assassinate characters like so many claimed and it stuck to it's main themes that were built over the course of the story, rewatching has really gave me a new perspective on the ending, and overall it was a satisfying conclusion for me and a very good end, not perfect, but very good. however my main gripe is that I didn't feel anything while reading it. It was the last chapter to one of my favourite stories of all time but it didn't give me enough time to breathe and feel a lot of the emotions I wanted to feel, I only felt them after the fact and after reading into it more. So I feel like it was a bit rushed, and going off of isayamas recent interview, he agrees as well that he had trouble portraying his themes and messages well onto the page, at least in a way for the average joe like myself to understand completely while reading. AND it also confirmed that this is the ending he wanted to go with, so ya'll can take off that tinfoil hat now. But the building blocks are there to make a perfect conclusion, and in some ways it still is, it's just missing that "umph". I personally think a lot of my problems with how it was paced will be fixed in the anime, isayama will have plenty of chances to change or add some things he feels need to be changed or added, but overall all a whole episode dedicated to the last chapter would make it flow better I think. That and the incredible voice performance and music will surely elevate it

I completely agree with you
May 3, 2021 2:38 PM

Oct 2017
At first I absolutely hated it, Eren used to be my favorite character and it ruined him for me, I thought it was horrible.

Now I calmed down but I still feel like it's rather disappointing, and since Isayama himself said he didn't like it I just don't even consider it canon anymore, at this point I'm just waiting for @AotNoRequiem to finish their own fanmade ending and I'll move on from this dumpster fire.
May 3, 2021 3:13 PM
Sep 2020
I see everyone talking about how the bad the ending was because it was rushed and the main character who's gone through so much development just died towards the end, and I understand their reasons for hating it.

On the other hand, I enjoyed the ending. Yes, it was rushed, but even for something that felt rushed, it wasn't written bad in any way. I don't see how people feel the need for the mc to be alive and well after a story. The whole story of Attack on Titan isn't some intense shounen story where you'd expect things to go always favour the mc, this story is just straight up a tragedy.

And I feel like most people look past that fact. If you look at someone like shakespeare who wrote plays where the mc died at the end, everybody praised it for being a well written story and accepted the fact that the mc died. Whereas in AoT, it's like nobody wants to accept the fact that it's a tragedy.

For me, the ending was a solid 9/10 and could've been a 10 if it was not as rushed and if they took a bit more time tying up the loose ends, cause even I was confused by the end.

To end off, I enjoyed it and it's definitely something I'll come back to just because of the journey of how Eren went from being someone who refused to die until he won to being someone who had no choice to die in order to win.
May 3, 2021 9:54 PM
Feb 2021
I settled at a 7.3.
After taking time to looks at all the parts, most of the major elements of the plot makes sense.
But I can't go higher because of the execution (incredibly rushed).

Major problem:
I don't think there's enough info for Ymir's motivations to be easily understood, which is problematic because readers need to know that in order to understand why she decided to end the curse.

Minor problems:
And Eren's feelings towards Mikasa isn't properly telegraphed. There are moments to point to but not enough.
Major deaths from previous chapter were reversed.
The dialogue is messy.
I think that the ending is a bit tone deaf with how sympathetic it makes Eren, given the billion people Eren murdered.
May 3, 2021 11:53 PM
Sep 2015
qguffey said:
I settled at a 7.3.
After taking time to looks at all the parts, most of the major elements of the plot makes sense.
But I can't go higher because of the execution (incredibly rushed).

Major problem:
I don't think there's enough info for Ymir's motivations to be easily understood, which is problematic because readers need to know that in order to understand why she decided to end the curse.

Minor problems:
And Eren's feelings towards Mikasa isn't properly telegraphed. There are moments to point to but not enough.
Major deaths from previous chapter were reversed.
The dialogue is messy.
I think that the ending is a bit tone deaf with how sympathetic it makes Eren, given the billion people Eren murdered.

In summary, I have the same opinion. The big problem is Ymir's motivation and the basic rules of the titan powers in general were not well stablished. And there are several small problems due to the rushed last arc.
May 5, 2021 9:30 AM
Feb 2021
Umm it is a good ending in theory but execution was lacking. Needed 2 or more chapters. Eren’s dialogue needs to be tweaked a little to make it come off less ummm pathetic. Less sympathy needs to be shown towards him as well, idc if he’s 19, he’s an awful and selfish person. Armin’s line needs to be tweaked.

Biggest problems for me was definitely Ymir, so much so that my dislike for 122 finally feels validated(seriously eren and zeke save that chp from being a 6/10) and maybe the Dina thing, it just doesn’t feel right to make that a pre determined thing, like it should be a random awful event that makes eren wanna kill the Titans, not some masterminded piece of constructed hatred. Also chp 138 is a lot weaker in retrospect.

Levi’s scene was so good tho, poor guy.
May 5, 2021 3:04 PM
Aug 2020
JJ_jose said:

this is pretty much my exact thoughts. just lacking the full impact. you can feel it in some frames, but the chapter overall needs a little more oomf and explanation
May 5, 2021 10:14 PM

Jul 2019
Among the top 5 worst endings of all time.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
May 5, 2021 10:20 PM

Oct 2020
Honestly, I don't really care, I'll forget about it anyway in the next year or so, it's still a good series but the ending was rushed and Isayama finished the story so that's it

May 5, 2021 11:47 PM

Jul 2019
It's alright, it was just made in the worst way possible. Everything was thrown at your face and then you are there with your jaw drop like "bruh"
May 5, 2021 11:54 PM

Jun 2020
The ending was literally written by fans. Well, at least it wasn't as bad as GOT.
May 6, 2021 1:00 AM
Apr 2017
The ending was a retcon, as Isayama himself confirms and "deeply regrets". The only reason I can fathom why he went so out of his way to thoroughly destroy Eren in 139, was out of frustration for not being able to write his original ending. I suspect the editor forced him to change it. Anyone find it unusual how the editor is the one with the closing remarks, rather than the Author? Why is the editor so active and taking credit on twitter while Isayama is silent? This isn't the ending Isayama was building towards, and this was written in to make shippers and the casual audience happy - not the people who have been following for the story for a decade.

With GoT, at least the fans knew how the story would end. With AoT, we took the time to get to the ending, only to have the climax overwritten with a headcanon fanfic. Yams hasn't confirmed what the original ending was, although if you're paying attention, it's pretty damn obvious where he was going.

The anime adaption is cutting all scenes that indicated Yam's original ending, inadvertently confirming that Isayama's true ending was very dark.
JaitniumMay 6, 2021 1:03 AM
May 6, 2021 4:43 AM
Jul 2018
All I can say this is the first time I feel dead inside since Neon Genesis Evangelion
May 6, 2021 5:51 AM

Jun 2020
Same as before. Just ok. Some ok shit some prty bad shit
May 6, 2021 5:57 AM

Jul 2017
Very disappointed still, but I don't let it really effect my perception of the previous seasons. Now anytime AOT is mentioned I just remember my disappointment.
May 6, 2021 10:56 PM
Feb 2021
I actually really liked the concept Isayama was going for however I think the execution was pretty awful. I feel like a lot of people who do hate it, likely have misinterpretations that does ruin the story (or who knows maybe I am the one misinterpreting it and it works well enough). I personally dont think Eren was ruined or agree with a lot of the criticisms. I just hope the anime does a MUCH MUCH MUCH better job at explaining the ending than the manga did, change up some scenes or put in new ones to make it more natural and actually give 138 and 139 their own episodes and then I think it could have worked. Obviously there will always be people who hate the ending because it is a slower, less thrilling and less bombastic ending which is what they prefer and AoT has this part of the fandom that wants the craziest shit to happen. But I think if done well it is a beautiful and deep ending imo.
May 7, 2021 8:31 AM
May 2018
Just horrible ending
May 7, 2021 9:25 AM
Jan 2021
the ending was as controversial as the rest of the final arc, you anime onlies have only seen 8 episodes of the last arc from season 4 but when Isayama introduced the yeagerists and destroyed Eren and Armin's friendship in that table scene. the series started going to shit.

Gabi's arc is like the only saving grace imo..
May 7, 2021 5:14 PM
Feb 2021
MaicolThePigeon said:
All I can say this is the first time I feel dead inside since Neon Genesis Evangelion
Can you elaborate?
May 7, 2021 6:07 PM
Jul 2018
qguffey said:
MaicolThePigeon said:
Can you elaborate?
The final was bad, and bruh, I loved this shit sooooo much, I turned into an otaku because of it, to then...
Still my inconditional favorite animanga, but the final maked me feel for some reason dead inside
Maybe because I spended a lot of time appreciating and loving SNK, lying to myself it was good, because I didn't wanna to accept the truth of how bad was SNK final arc, something like this.

(EVA is another situation, but thats it)
May 11, 2021 7:52 AM
Sep 2020
YTpenguinos said:

I would prefer a better execution in the anime
May 11, 2021 8:08 AM
Sep 2020
bullseye_22 said:
I actually really liked the concept Isayama was going for however I think the execution was pretty awful. I feel like a lot of people who do hate it, likely have misinterpretations that does ruin the story (or who knows maybe I am the one misinterpreting it and it works well enough). I personally dont think Eren was ruined or agree with a lot of the criticisms. I just hope the anime does a MUCH MUCH MUCH better job at explaining the ending than the manga did, change up some scenes or put in new ones to make it more natural and actually give 138 and 139 their own episodes and then I think it could have worked. Obviously there will always be people who hate the ending because it is a slower, less thrilling and less bombastic ending which is what they prefer and AoT has this part of the fandom that wants the craziest shit to happen. But I think if done well it is a beautiful and deep ending imo.

If I tell you that there are multiple eren's with different personalities ,what comes to your mind

I think there are more eren as in

Eren kruger,the eren that we saw in ch 139
Is the eren that loves mikasa

And when he said I didn't want Mikasa to be with anyone else he meant other eren(the eren that we love ,the tatakae eren)

This interpretation makes sence but the problem is the manga is kinda confusing

Also there is also eren in the form of bird

Remember eren never reincarnated
As a bird ,this eren I am taking about is the messanger eren his job is to show the viewer the important events in the series

There is eren as the owl who manipulated grisha into thinking that he is a subject of ymir

Those memories which he was referring to
When he talked about armin and Mikasa were founding titan eren

To keep it simple

Eren is
1:The main character(edgy,fight,and want destruction of the titans)
2:The birds (the ones that show important events)
3:Eren kruger(the one that is a subject of ymir and also the owl)
4:Eren(the founding titan,the one that loves mikasa ,and knows Armin)

Now

In ch 139

Eren talks of loving Mikasa and telling Armin that he was the one to start the mission of eradicating titans, remember at this point our eren Yeager who is conflicted ,who faught in Marley ,who started the rumbling,who screams who wanted the world to destroy is already dead not the one we saw in ch 139

So in that case the founder eren didn't give his powers to eren Yeager but infact
Xxx
Eren Yeager is the decendant possibly the 8th subject of ymir that would make grisha yeager the 7th and eren kruger the 6th

This part (Xxx) is my theory

Where eren the founder is the 9th meaning this eren in ch 139 is a God who is across space and time,not the tatakae eren
May 11, 2021 9:28 AM
Dec 2020
Seigjo said:
slimepoop said:
We are the same Reiner, I killed my mom and you killed my mom. I’m a simp, you’re a simp. You killed hundreds of thousands of people on military orders, I wiped out 80% of the earth’s population because I’m a vengeful piece of shit. We’re really two peas in a pod if you think about it.

You seem to be joking, but that is literally the plot.

Eren even stated while crying to Ramzi that he was worse than Reiner for those reasons.

Jaitnium said:
With GoT, at least the fans knew how the story would end. With AoT, we took the time to get to the ending, only to have the climax overwritten with a headcanon fanfic. Yams hasn't confirmed what the original ending was, although if you're paying attention, it's pretty damn obvious where he was going.

Isayama: Says that he realized that the climax was a very difficult theme for him to draw, and he regretted not being able to express it properly in the manga.

Fans: "The editor must have forced him to change the ending! He must have never wanted this ending in the first place!!"
yeah it literally is the plot, that’s the joke. The whole of 139 was a damn joke.
May 11, 2021 9:36 AM
Mar 2021
Mack_Yeager said:
YTpenguinos said:

I would prefer a better execution in the anime

same i hope yhey keep some of it im fine with him explaining everything to armin but instead of expasition like how it is in the manga they should spend an episode doing flash backs showing erens perspective the from the confression he makes onward it could stay some what the same besides the bird shit
May 11, 2021 12:17 PM

May 2016
I mean it ended how I expected it to end, just not in the way the narrative was leading me to believe. Ending could’ve been okay, but unfortunately there was one main event that ruined it all.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 138 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Mar 5, 2021

1128 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 25, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1874 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 25, 10:48 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 4 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Sep 11, 2011

25 by HenryDanger »»
Apr 24, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 141 Discussion

venti_e - Sep 30, 2022

32 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 20, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.