Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2021 10:33 AM

Apr 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A pretty standard romance story with drama, some chlishes here and there, conclusion and the end. Would like some epilogue or time skip to see more of the characters, but this will do as well. The insert song was nice and the ending also good (as expected of BUMP OF CHICKEN). Yeah all in all good movie, more like these.

7/10

Also, the VA who voiced Yuna, i could not help myself but everytime she talked i saw Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket lol.
Apr 17, 2021 4:41 PM

Sep 2011
If this wasn't an adaptation and I hadn't read the original, I would have ranked this higher, probably. Don't misunderstand, I expected them to cut lots of content, for obvious reasons, but I can't be unbiased either, so...

Nevertheless, its art was wonderful, so if you want a typical romance-dama movie with some cliché scenes to enjoy a boring afternoon, this is perfect, cute, and heartwarming.

Swagernator said:

Also, the VA who voiced Yuna, i could not help myself but everytime she talked i saw Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket lol.

Omg, I spent the whole movie thinking that I knew that voice from somewhere, now I see where I heard it. And I really liked Akari's low-husky voice, and I see it's the same seiyuu who voiced Momiji in Furuba too. God.
MyrgaApr 18, 2021 9:07 AM
"If you wish so ardently for your life to disappear then give it to me!"
Apr 17, 2021 11:15 PM

Apr 2020
Myrga said:
If this wasn't an adaptation and I hadn't read the original, I would have ranked this higher, probably. Don't misunderstand, I expected them to cut lots of content, for obvious reasons, but I can't be unbiased either, so..
Nevertheless, its art was wonderful, so if you want a typical romance-dama movie with some cliché scenes to enjoy a boring afternoon, this is perfect, cute, and heartwarming.
same!

Without thinking about the source, the movie plot works quite well cuz they took the most important conflicts (and even changing some order or scene) is achieved this idea of comings and goings of falling in love. in terms of adaptation, i think the character presentation, what we may call first arc (Rio and Akari previous story) and Yuna and Rio development are the best of the scrip. but Akari and Kazu's backstories are missing, and their ending together seems very rushed to me.

however, i enjoyed it a lot (and expected it for so long (ಥ◡ಥ) the settings are just beautiful, the bubbles and the reflections/silhouettes were super detailed, to emotional OST and the two times BUMP OF CHICKEN sounded did to my eyes water
Apr 18, 2021 2:13 AM
Apr 2021
Just finished watching the movie. Having read the manga, I felt like it was a little rushed. Probably would have fared better as a series rather than a movie. I did enjoy the voice acting though, really well done.
Apr 18, 2021 7:40 AM
Sep 2020
haru_tsubasa said:
Just finished watching the movie. Having read the manga, I felt like it was a little rushed. Probably would have fared better as a series rather than a movie. I did enjoy the voice acting though, really well done.

I sooo wanted a series adaptation! I didn’t liked the final product! And i love the manga! 😕

Everything was so rushed... and so much was changed!

I would recommend the manga! 10/10
But not the movie... the only good part was the voices and animation! 5/10
Apr 18, 2021 8:15 AM
Jul 2019
I thought maybe the anime adaptation would get me to like this highly praised manga series but nope. The characters are so bland and flat, the main couple has no chemistry, were dry and once again I was more interested in the 2nd couple. Idk why she even liked the main guy or why he's popular it's like 'oh I just met you and here I'm already in love with you for no reason'. The author really peaked with Ao Haru Ride and Strobe Edge.
lov3lymjApr 18, 2021 8:19 AM
Apr 18, 2021 7:29 PM

Jan 2020
I didn't really like this one. The dynamics and pacing felt off and it sadly outweighed it's positives for me.

Apr 19, 2021 5:18 AM

May 2020
First heard of the movie through a promotional video of Bump of Chicken's "Gravity", since I like the band and the art style & visuals in the video were beautiful. Not having read the original manga, I can't really compare how good it was in terms of story completion. In general though the voice acting was good, the sceneries were beautiful, the character designs were noticeably shoujo-like and sadly the story didn't really grab me all that much. There were a few good scenes here and there, especially the part close to the end where one of BoC's songs played, but I didn't feel much empathy with the characters, the emotional connection to the plot was kind of missing, which might be due to the pretty cliché shoujo setting. All in all a visually beautiful movie, with an average story & characters.
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Apr 20, 2021 10:15 AM

Oct 2017
I was looking forward to this movie but this was quite dissapointing. I mean I liked it but it wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be.

Animation, visuals and direction were really great. A-1 did a great job on that but the story was quite lackluster. Felt like they tried to cram too much stuff in it but only were able to touch the surface on each of them, it was quite shallow. Thou there were some really beautiful moments, specially the confession scenes and I liked them a lot. The overall atmosphere of the movie was quite refreshing too and the song from Bump of Chicken was also great. Also Yuna's adorable.

Okay movie overall but as I mentioned before I was expecting more. I guess adapting a manga that clearly had enough chapters for a TV anime into a movie was a bad idea after all.
Apr 20, 2021 9:21 PM
Mar 2021
This movie is literally a tutorial about how to take an awesome manga and transforms it in a terrible history. More than a half of the manga was cut, so the development sounded really stranden – I even laughed whatching it. A merited 0/10.
Apr 22, 2021 5:28 AM
Aug 2019
As a manga reader this movie as an adaptation wasn't perfect in fact they cut a lot of stuff which in turn made the characters feel inconsistent & the developments in relationships feel rushed. But on the other hand, A-1 pictures did the visuals & art justice especially at important scenes which looked beautiful. I liked the music since it really helped set the mood for its key scenes.
Overall, this movie was underwhelming being average at best. It was rushed, the characters feel underdeveloped but the visuals look good & the music helped with its key scenes.

Apr 26, 2021 3:31 AM
Apr 2020
Finished watching the movie, amd it was pretty cliche but dramatic and wholesome. It's also pretty good in terms of animation, artstyle, and the overall character developments. Though I think it was rushed but the important thing is the conclusion was complete and satisfying. 8/10 for this
Apr 26, 2021 6:27 AM
Sep 2014
Extremely disappointed with how rushed Rio and Yuna’s development was in the movie. They skipped SO many moments of them getting closer and Rio falling for her :( I get that it was because of time, but still. It made it seem like Rio changed his mind out of nowhere when in the manga you can see him falling for Yuna and his inner turmoil about it (cause he had rejected her lol). Other than that I liked the movie and I’m fine with the other changes and parts they skipped. It has beautiful art and great VAs.

Just wish this had been a show instead of movie x_x so many moments lost :(
May 1, 2021 5:26 AM

Sep 2019
Swagernator said:
A pretty standard romance story with drama, some chlishes here and there, conclusion and the end. Would like some epilogue or time skip to see more of the characters, but this will do as well. The insert song was nice and the ending also good (as expected of BUMP OF CHICKEN). Yeah all in all good movie, more like these.

7/10

Myrga said:
If this wasn't an adaptation and I hadn't read the original, I would have ranked this higher, probably. Don't misunderstand, I expected them to cut lots of content, for obvious reasons, but I can't be unbiased either, so...

Swagernator said:

Omg, I spent the whole movie thinking that I knew that voice from somewhere, now I see where I heard it. And I really liked Akari's low-husky voice, and I see it's the same seiyuu who voiced Momiji in Furuba too. God.
Yuna isn't voice by same seiyuu as Tohru thou.
May 1, 2021 6:45 AM

Apr 2016
ArimaKana said:

That is very nice of you to notify us about it .. but i never said something like that.
May 1, 2021 12:39 PM
May 2016
I haven't read the manga, but felt this would have been better in a 12 episode anime rather than a movie. It felt extremely fast paced and missed some key character development. I barely even got the sense that Rio was into Akari before he was suddenly into Yuna...and I'm not even sure how that happened. Also Kazuomi was the blandest love interest ever. I imagine he had more dimensions in the manga, but in this he was just there as a space filler. I think if they were truly committed to doing a movie, they should have taken some pointers from those HoneyWorks movies.
May 3, 2021 8:05 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Despite the obvious pacing problem that seemed to be the latent enemy due to the classical reason, this one unexpectedly quite enjoyable. The two different heroine Yuna and Akari, also really likeable at my standard with all of their antics. The story itself to be honestly is just a generic cliche shoujo manga typical drama romance with how they handled everything. But the twist with Akari and Rio relations as a drama driven really caught off my guard at first. Too bad, the rushing development from two sides of couple seems to be not unavoidable, but its still bearable to understand, at least for me. In the end, i can't say the bad thing, and decided to cut the movie straightly from my personal enjoyment perspective.
For me, its still decent and deserve my 8/10 after all.
That's it all from me.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 3, 2021 10:53 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Meaning to watch the movie for a while and finally got the chance to! It could've certainly been better had it been in a 10-episode series format or so but this was still fairly good, imo.

Romance-wise, mixed feelings here to be honest. Yuna x Rio couple got a lot of love from the staff during the school fest scene and that was fantastic but the buildup was so so at best. As for the Akari x Inui couple, definitely felt this was slightly better handled alongside the family struggles but anticlimactic towards the end.

Also, got to give a shoutout to the wingman in Rio's friend!

In any case, the Animation and Sound Department (God bless BUMP OF CHICKEN) were the shining pieces. Audiovisual experience, settled.

All in all, I'll award this a generous 7/10. Wanted a bit more Romance elements but I'm fairly satisfied, honestly.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 4, 2021 3:17 AM
Nov 2020
I waited for months for this. BUMP OF CHICKEN made me watch this. What an impressive song. But in terms of the story, I'm really a fan of this inconsistent feelings. Ugh I can't sit still while watching. I watch it in 1.25/1.5 speed to finish it sooner. Lmao it made me cringe. I disliked the story.
May 8, 2021 3:46 PM

Jul 2013
I am really glad that it was a happy ending for everyone! Although I do think the romance happened a bit too fast & sudden during the confession part (like for the girls' part I kinda understand the pace, but suddenly out of nowhere the guys are in love with them all of a sudden). I just think this part would have been better if they paced it a bit more, or maybe have more interactions with each other before the sudden confession from the boys. Maybe it would have been better as an anime series than movie.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie despite the fast pacing development.
The voice actors & actresses did great job, and lovely music too.
May 10, 2021 4:32 AM

Sep 2019
Swagernator said:
ArimaKana said:

That is very nice of you to notify us about it .. but i never said something like that.
So you meant similar voice I suppose? But the other guy clearly said he recognized that voice from somewhere so he definitely thought she is voiced by same seiyuu.
May 15, 2021 9:39 AM

Mar 2012
They cut out a lot of stuff and crammed all 12 volumes into a short 2 hour movie. Rio's change of heart makes no sense in the movie, Rio developing feelings for Yuna was a slow process because she stayed by his side and helped him with his feelings towards Akari. This would have been so much better as a one cour anime instead of a movie.
May 15, 2021 10:04 AM

Jun 2020
Fluffy.

Made me sad seeing Akari setting up the tree & cooking & wishing that would help her mum & stepdad’s failing relationship. It’s never the kid’s job to try to fix their parent’s problem. Glad that it was a happy ending, which usually isn’t so. I liked the characters & how mature most of them were. Like Akari to begin with, and then Rio who recognised her efforts, respected her wishes & stopped & gave up his feelings for her.

Also Kazuomi is seriously best boy, I liked him!!!! He’s observant & attentive & I loved how he treated Yuna, always there for her & caring in his own way. Like in the lift after leaving Rio’s & Akari’s, he asked why she was crying & patted her shoulder without prying. He’s so sweet♡ The narrative didn’t seem to focus too much on him tho.....I was wondering like so did he ever buy the camera......and then suddenly he had already gotten an honourable mention in the contest lol. Also didn’t even get a smidge of a hint that he was falling for Akari prior to her confessing........at least they briefly showed Rio starting to see Yuna in a different light, however quick the pacing might have been.

Yuna is just.....typical airhead I wouldn’t befriend irl lol. I mean she’s sweet & real cute & all but so self-absorbed & insensitive. Which person in their right mind would keep going on n on about how sweet n happy their family is when they clearly know the other has family troubles lol I guess at least she was self-aware about it after.........lol

Honourable mentions to the boys, even Rio’s friend that liked Yuna. They really do abide strictly to their bro code lolllol

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

May 20, 2021 10:41 PM

Feb 2020
I loved it great movie. I checked out the manga as expected it has cut a lot of content and changed a lot of thing. Overall I still like the movie (even though manga is better). one thing I am really disappointed about the movie is there are no kiss scene of real couple (but in manga there are lots of them). I am not sure why they didn't make the last about to kiss scene as a actual kiss scene. but whatever i guess
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 28, 2021 12:44 AM
Oct 2019
A decent movie that is carried by A1 Pictures's animation and Bump of Chicken's music. (Bump was the reason I decided to watch this movie)

I ship Yuna X Akari (Yuna reaction faces are soo cute)
Jun 25, 2021 9:23 AM

Jul 2017
wow, disappointed is all I can say lol

I mean, it was already surprising they chose to adapt this in a single movie rather than at the very least 1 cour but damn, they really sped through the whole thing. I don't usually mind subpar adaptations so long as at least stays consistent with the content but man, they really did this series dirty with this lol. So many things got omitted, halfway through it felt like it needed to fulfil a quota of getting key shoujo points across rather than developing the actual characters. Shame because the best part of the series imo was Yuna and Rio's development after they became a couple as well as how good they were together but all of that got completely cut out to finish off the Akari x Kazu pair (which I can understand due to time constraints). They also did retcon the ex-bf which I honestly don't mind, and went for an anime only ending which wasn't too bad considering the actual ending was decent at best

Oh well, at least they managed to somewhat keep Yuna's pureness and must protecc. The confession scenes for what it's worth were beautifully animated

6/10
Aug 10, 2021 8:35 AM

Feb 2019
The movie was a bit too cheesy imo. It also felt rushed. It would have been better as a series and cheesiness would have downed a bit too.
Sep 19, 2021 2:10 AM

Feb 2019
It wasn't the best, but it was certainly enjoyable.

Didn't know that the source manga was the same author of Ao Haru Ride. Coming from a movie-only perspective, it was a fun watch though it wasn't great or groundbreaking or anything. There were some standout scenes, such as early on when Yuna started believing the rumours but then being confronted with the truth that she didn't try to confirm herself. I liked that part. And I liked how Rio and Yuna turned out. Their mutual confession scene was great, and that goes for the music too! I didn't like Akari and Kazu as much. I actually like the pairing, it's just that it felt rushed towards the end. I also liked the family drama, but I think they underdeveloped that.

All in all, pretty good. Don't expect a mind blowing or artistically amazing movie (though the visuals were great). 7 feels too low, but 8 feels way too high, so I'll settle on 7 even though it's closer to 7.5.
Nov 19, 2021 4:36 PM
Dec 2014
There was so much wrong with this movie I don't really understand how it has a 7.33 score. Maybe because not many people have watched it?
I love shoujo and romance based anime but this one was enough to put me off them.

3/10.

Although the BUMP OF CHICKEN song at the end is a banger <3
Jan 11, 2022 9:29 PM

Jun 2020
That guy named Agatsuma kinda useless actually, I don't know if they tell more about him in the source, also I feel I can relate with Akari a lot.
Jan 12, 2022 2:50 PM
I like water

Feb 2020
I think this story shouldn't be a movie, it should be a serie. The characters lacked development in their background. And the story arc where the romance between Akari and Rio is revealed was disappointing, this was just an excuse for Rio and Yuna, and Akari and Kazuomi to be more emotionally close to each other.

I didn't like this movie and regret seeing it
Feb 8, 2022 1:29 AM
Apr 2021
Anyone watched both the anime and the live action? I'd like to hear thoughts from those who watched both. I haven't watched the anime film but watched the LA. I really loved how rainy, bluish hue, subtle and gently acted the live action was.
Mar 9, 2022 5:11 PM

Jul 2021
As much as I love the manga, this movie shouldn't be a movie in the first place, it should be a TV series. In the manga, there were so many further development in the main couple's relationship while in the movie, the ratio was like 70% drama and 30% wholesomeness, they rushed out their whole development and ended up making the movie becoming of a less impactful series.

The main couple was more of a forced couple because they're lacking in development, like seriously no "Kiss kiss fall in love" and instead just gathered the main couple and the other cast (which implies the same as they also have further development in the manga but wasn't adapted here) as wrap up walking down the streets?!!?

Disappointing to say the least but otherwise it can indicate that this movie is just a promotion to the manga which nonetheless it's quite solid but not so great in the storytelling execution and storyboarding could've been from panel to panel with a cinematography that was one of the saving grace from the movie because it's beautiful but it's a waste without an effective storytelling. Go read the manga, there's a lot more discovering in the main couple's relationship and that's what you can tell by their character development is justified a lot there. 3/10.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 15, 2022 10:23 PM
Jan 2020
7.30 is too high for this shit
Jul 28, 2022 1:44 AM

Jun 2021
Probably a good movie for romance lovers out there. Starting was good but the last half was somehow frustrating....a lot happened but finally happy ending though it was a bit cliche for me sometimes. But the animation was on fire as it's from A-1 pictures.
Oct 15, 2022 6:50 AM

Sep 2021
Felt like the story was just checking through all the standard romance tropes...so it was a rather standard romance anime. Seems like many things were rushed through, omitted and there was even an ending change from what I see in the comments, so will probably check out the manga some time... Gotta say though, the friendship between Yuna and Akari completely took the back seat as the movie progressed (whatever happened to wanting to become friends that will share everything with each other?)
Jan 5, 2023 3:37 PM
Nov 2021
234 ОЙЦУКПЛЙКРП
Jan 31, 2023 9:55 PM

Jun 2010
It was an all right standard romance drama. Nothing out of the ordinary. I just wished they had done a bit more to establish the characters relationships. There was very little as to why they fell in love with each other. "He looked like the fairy tale prince" and "He was nice" isn't very much to go by.

Also the friendship between Yuna and Akari that at least at the start and end of the movie was mentioned as somewhat central to everything was also rather weakly portrayed. I mean, yeah, we got the scene where Yuna defended Akari against the accusations that was emotional. But that was a bit of a one-off thing. And we never saw anything of the like from Akari's side. Whenever it would have called for her to confide in Yuna she pulled back and lied. I think it would have been better they hadn't skipped over the development at the start where Yuna changed from the initial overly shy personality to a bit more confident in herself. Then they could have maybe shown how Akari supported her in that development and the portrayal of the friendship would have a much more solid foundation.

Lastly I think they skipped some of the story elements and conflicts. Like, they never adressed the distrust Rio's mother showed towards him. Sure, his infatuation with Akari was resolved from their end but his relationship to the mother would have called for mending. But it never came to that.
Feb 11, 2023 5:31 PM
Jan 2016
It was a very warm and touching story about first love. It was enjoyable to watch.
Feb 25, 2023 12:45 AM
Mar 2016
I didn't like this one. I feel like the setup for this movie promised a love square or at least a diamond, but it ended up being more of a Y shape. Pretty disappointing in that regard. Both girls were cute imo. It really felt like Rio just immediately dropped his feelings for Akari and then magically developed some for Yuuna.

And then the whole thing about Kazu lying about not liking Akari, and Akari repeatedly shooting Kazu down so he could go to Kyoto was really, really dumb. It doesn't even make sense for him to get that offer in the first place. And why are they worried about him going away to college when they still have 2 years of highschool left? And it took 100 days for any of the characters to realize something was wrong and do something? Really?

Personally I would have much preferred a love square where the family falls apart but Rio and Akari get together, and the childhood friends get together. That or they all realize they can't get the relationship they want, so they just chase after other people altogether. Could've been way spicier. And it sounds like the manga won't be that spicy either.

P.S. Gotta appreciate how the friends who want to share everything with each other immediately start keeping secrets.
DarkdaxterFeb 25, 2023 12:48 AM

More topics from this board

» wtf is about seiyuu swap?!

sasahara_n - May 2, 2023

2 by sasahara_n »»
May 3, 2023 2:15 PM

» Blu ray and DVD release on 7th april 2021

MegamiRem - Dec 23, 2020

12 by chxese »»
May 1, 2021 5:20 AM

» Manga chapter after the movie?

WomboComboLongo - Apr 25, 2021

3 by MayInu »»
Apr 26, 2021 6:21 AM

» Preview

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2019

14 by aeler34 »»
Mar 8, 2021 10:43 PM

» Cast List + Airing May 29th

Short_Circut - Dec 10, 2019

10 by Syureria »»
Jul 20, 2020 8:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.