Forum Settings
Forums
She and Her Cat
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2021 5:09 PM

Apr 2019
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
that was a wholesome little story, a cat is all you need ^_^

May 10, 2021 7:07 PM
May 2020
such a cute read, it makes me wish i was closer to my cat...
Jul 17, 2021 9:54 PM

Jul 2019
I love short mangas like these. I wish I could look for more!

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 14, 2022 9:50 PM

Aug 2019
Even though it was short, it was a fantastic story. It was fascinating to see the cat's point of view and what he thought of his owner and his surroundings. Also, it was extremely realistic because we witnessed the owner going through some hardships in a few chapters.
Feb 6, 2022 9:33 AM
May 2021
The manga is wholesome but I thought they are going to show more about the girl.
Apr 14, 2022 12:49 PM
Mar 2022
Now this is a slice of life!
Sep 20, 2022 3:56 AM

Oct 2016
Disappointing, the anime shows more of her in detail (including her as a teenager), and it has a much sadder finale tied to the older Makoto Shinkai short. If you take that away you are only left with a woman who's sad until she just stops being sad, and a cat monologuing, with no resolution. Both anime and My Roommate is a Cat are better.
Oct 23, 2022 3:28 AM

Dec 2009
As decent as the story of a struggling young woman improving her life is, this manga is overrated with its mediocre execution and flaws.

I think I was a fan of Makoto Shinkai, but I question whether he's overrated or not until I analyze his work overall, while reviewing what I loved in 5 Centimeters per Second.
I'm in fact a fan of Tsubasa Yamaguchi now, but this isn't her best talent display of art like it is today since it was one of her earlier drawings.

The angle and point of view depictions of a small creature such as a cat isn't depicted as best as it could be, while the art is a bit rough.
The cinematography in the art panels of background, and tension to create an atmosphere is nice, but not great.

The story from the point of the view of a cat is intriguing.
The idea that the audience can only learn and judge the human in wonder of what they're going through from inside or close to outside of their home alone through a pet is unique and can be well utilized in presenting a realistic distance of unknown to not understanding someone when they don't reveal everything to you.

The brief and subtle hints from phone conversations, expressions, touch to the cat, and actions inside the house is captivating in its own mysterious way in telling the story.
Unfortunately, the story doesn't only rely on the point of view of the cat. It shows the female protagonist's conversation with a best friend, and a moment where she's depressed outside, with children speaking of their own annoyance of a step-father to relay to parallel message of what the female protagonist is feeling. Which is nice, but arguably takes away from the original expectation of solely the cat's point of view.

Throughout the story, we learn that the female protagonist was jobless after graduation, and has now been working for a year in a company.
It's clear that she doesn't love her job, and through the cat's point of view alone we learn that she has trouble making connections and being honest with her mother or her best friend after a long time of not seeing each other.
She's disciplined and consistent in her work and daily chores while eating good food she loves, but she has her bad days.

Near the end, she receives a call from her mother who's now remarried, and sobs to herself, angry of the result with a chair on the floor.
Meanwhile she's been on a few dates with a male coworker, but questions her best friend on the phone next to her cat whether she should date him. To her cat, she wishes that the man would like her for how hard she works, and not just because she's cute, so she rejects him, with now cut short hair, and a new perspective of freedom to life.

The End.
It's a bit abrupt in how after her cat finds her alone in the rain, catches a cold, gets treated by her friend, and rejects that man, her life seems better at the moment.
Although, who knows what will happen afterwards. Moments like these are somewhat realistic. Life happens, and with time, things get better, sometimes in a moment, while sooner or later a new struggle or recurring will arise once more, but your emotions to it will depend on how you react to it.

On the surface, it's a decent story, but it's a little odd and mediocre with its flaws.
What I particularly did not like was the cat's romantic love to his owner.

It's sensible in how a pet is extremely loyal and clingy to an owner, but the concept of romantic feelings to me crosses past the line of exagerrated. It's simply a little disgusting.
I would have preferred a pure mentality of adoration of a pet. The same tone without romantic feelings would have been fine, even if the sense of lust and admiration of beauty from an animal to a human is a little weird.
What bothers me more connected to that concept is the odd scene of the cat expressing his love for his owner and rejecting his cat girlfriend. That's stupid.

... Thus, this story, albeit kind of decent, with its flaws... is mediocre. 4/10.
Aug 14, 2023 10:43 AM
May 2023
The manga was amazing. I wish it would be longer or will get a sequel. 

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko Chapter 3 Discussion

maxime_sama - Apr 14, 2022

1 by CathyFreyaMys »»
Aug 14, 2023 10:38 AM

Poll: » Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

2 by Sun_Chan »»
Jan 14, 2022 9:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.