Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 22, 2021 12:31 PM
Oct 2020
I need a free but good editing software to use ?
Feb 22, 2021 12:43 PM

Feb 2021
jayybeentrendy said:
I need a free but good editing software to use ?

Best free open-source software for "common" video editing is KDENLIVE.

If you have a computer powerful enough considering DaVinci Resolve could be an option, which is not open-source software but has a "free" version (missing some very advanced and specific features, not needed if you're not a professional working in the industry)

Since I've a very old and obsolete PC I'm sticking with KDENLive .. which is ok if you don't need to do particularly refined things but only classic/traditional editing.
Feb 22, 2021 2:03 PM

Oct 2012
I've been looking for that too. For some reason, my computer seems to be too slow to handle even the most basic video editors. And they all have super complicated interfaces for no reason.

I've found that for basic videos where you make a few cuts and add music, Windows 7/8 used to have a Windows Movie Maker app, that they removed from Windows 10. Luckily, you could still find it and download it online.

I also tried the open source Open Shot and DaVinci Resolve, but I don't know why I found the Movie Maker so much easier for just splitting a clip at the mouse cursor, deleting parts, slowing down a part, adding music and title screens, etc. Of course Resolve had a million other features like dealing with fisheye distortion, etc.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 22, 2021 10:26 PM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
I've been using Hitfilm Express for years. It has pretty nice variety of tools, a lot of tutorials on youtube and not too difficult to use. The only thing is it's pretty hard on lower end computers.

The only negative thing is that the newest version doesn't have dark mode anymore (if you don't pay for it) if you are a new user and the light mode looks horrible.
Feb 22, 2021 10:29 PM

Aug 2014
katsucats said:
I've been looking for that too. For some reason, my computer seems to be too slow to handle even the most basic video editors. And they all have super complicated interfaces for no reason.

I've found that for basic videos where you make a few cuts and add music, Windows 7/8 used to have a Windows Movie Maker app, that they removed from Windows 10. Luckily, you could still find it and download it online.

I also tried the open source Open Shot and DaVinci Resolve, but I don't know why I found the Movie Maker so much easier for just splitting a clip at the mouse cursor, deleting parts, slowing down a part, adding music and title screens, etc. Of course Resolve had a million other features like dealing with fisheye distortion, etc.

Have you tried VideoPad Video Editor? It's intuitive enough and doesn't seem too hardware-intensive.
Feb 22, 2021 11:57 PM

Feb 2021
katsucats said:
I've been looking for that too. For some reason, my computer seems to be too slow to handle even the most basic video editors. And they all have super complicated interfaces for no reason..

KDENLIVE interface is totally customizable.. so if you want a very simple interface with only the timeline, a project bin (for importing files) and a clip/project monitor you can have it.

After you understand some basic concepts - regarding editing in general - is quite straightforward (and very efficient) to use.

Regarding the performance problem.. what is the format you use while editing ?

If you edit H264 (or, even worse, HEVC = H265 - but all "final delivery" codecs have this issue) encoded videos directly they're pretty slow to decode because of the encoding type; the kind of compression used makes the video "fast" to decode only when you're directly playing it.. but the decoding become very slow and unresponsive while editing.

That's why every professional editing is done by converting video files into so-called "intermediate" formats, which use a "lighter" form of compression (files are quite bigger in sizes but a lot faster to decode while used inside the video editing software) and re-encoded with a highly compressed codec (such as H264/H265) only when the editing is complete, to create/export the final video.

Intermediate codecs commonly used while editing are ProRes or DNx (you have both available in KDENLive, you can easily and directly transcode any video into these formats using the menu from inside the software itself).

If you're interested in the technical details .. here's explained why H264/H265 codec are so unefficient while editing.. Article on Intermediate Codecs for editing
kryxanimeFeb 23, 2021 1:50 AM
Feb 23, 2021 12:00 AM

May 2013
For video I've used Shotcut before, it's a bit unwieldy but like most free programs that doesn't mean you can't use it to accomplish your aims.

I also like GIMP for animations and editing.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Feb 23, 2021 3:36 AM

Jul 2014
Da Vinci Resolve is fucking brilliant. It even doubles as colour correction software.
Take care of yourself

Feb 23, 2021 3:54 AM

Feb 2021
ThatRazorGuy said:
Da Vinci Resolve is fucking brilliant. It even doubles as colour correction software.

But it requires quite a powerful/not-too-obsolete PC to work with...
(plus.. for most "common" amatorial editing works is not needed at all, it's overkill).

KDENLIVE (which is not comparable with Resolve at all, obviously), once you learned the few basic concepts, is a pretty decent editing software with low HW requirements.

Feb 23, 2021 5:02 AM
Jan 2021
Kdenlive is garbage.

If you're on windows 10 use movie maker, they still work on that software.
If you have an iPhone use the built in video editor.
If you want something decent get a mac and use imovie or if you're cheap but magix movie studio for windows.
Feb 23, 2021 5:19 AM

Jan 2009
ShotCut is what im hearing a lot this days especially its made by the developer of MLT framework that even KdenLive uses
Feb 23, 2021 5:48 AM

Feb 2021
lolis-on-datura said:
Kdenlive is garbage.

If you want something decent get a mac and use imovie or if you're cheap but magix movie studio for windows.

I can't agree less with you..

only very bad suggestions, for me, here..

Kdenlive can't compete with big commercial softwares (like Davinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere) but it's not garbage at all, it's evolving very fast and is becoming more stable and powerful and easy to use with every release; it's a lot better and versatile than basic magix (if you learn how to use it) or the very rudimentary Movie Maker.

I suggest anyone seeing on youtube some updated KDENLIVE tutorial (2020-2021) .. once understood the basics it's a very easy software to work with .. and it's more powerful and versatile than any other free software and even commercial stuff like the "cheap" Magix versions.
Feb 23, 2021 5:53 AM

Feb 2021
deg said:
ShotCut is what im hearing a lot this days especially its made by the developer of MLT framework that even KdenLive uses

Yes, they are both based on the same framework (openshot too)..
Shotcut is maybe simpler to begin with.. but if you start making some more "advanced" editing, KDENLive is far more versatile and powerful..

It's the free opensource software that is most similar, in functionality and workflow, to commercial ones, such as Adobe Premiere.
Feb 23, 2021 5:55 AM
Jan 2021
Oh I forgot to mention Avidemux.
It's free and amazing for basic editing ie cutting videos.
if your clips are all the same resolution and file format you can edit them together and export as a single file without any compression/rendering.
I use this for editing 4K content and in copy mode it only takes a minute to save the file.

kryxanime said:
lolis-on-datura said:
Kdenlive is garbage.

I can't agree less with you..

only very bad suggestions, for me, here..

Kdenlive can't compete with big commercial softwares (like Davinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere) but it's not garbage at all, it's evolving very fast and is becoming more stable and powerful and easy to use with every release; it's a lot better and versatile than basic magix (if you learn how to use it) or the very rudimentary Movie Maker.

I suggest anyone seeing on youtube some updated KDENLIVE tutorial (2020-2021) .. once understood the basics it's a very easy software to work with .. and it's more powerful and versatile than any other free software and even commercial stuff like the "cheap" Magix versions.

I hate the way kdenlive cuts videos, it feels so weird and imprecise.
Also basic stuff like cropping, rotating and adding effects like sate stamp is a pain in the ass.
Feb 23, 2021 6:10 AM

Jan 2009
kryxanime said:
deg said:

Yes, they are both based on the same framework (openshot too)..
Shotcut is maybe simpler to begin with.. but if you start making some more "advanced" editing, KDENLive is far more versatile and powerful..

It's the free opensource software that is most similar, in functionality and workflow, to commercial ones, such as Adobe Premiere.

ah ok fair enough also KdenLive is more mature or longer in development anyway

there is also Olive that basically will be the best open source video editor they say but its still in alpha development stage
Feb 23, 2021 6:23 AM

Feb 2021
lolis-on-datura said:
I hate the way kdenlive cuts videos, it feels so weird and imprecise.
Also basic stuff like cropping, rotating and adding effects like sate stamp is a pain in the ass.

How long ago did you try it ? Lot of improvements it had in the last year.

You can cut videos in EVERY possibile way (like in Premiere): from the clip monitor, setting in and out points (you can even create sub-clips in the bin section).. you can cut them with scissors in the timeline.. you can even cut a clip dragging in the timeline the in/out points of the clip..
It offers you EVERY possibile way to cut a clip.

Cropping, scaling, moving, rotating.. it's now 99% interactive (you can do quite everything dragging/moving cursors from the project monitor).

There's obviously a lot that may be improved and refined.. but KDENLIVE has really seen a lot of improvements on every aspect (stability too) since its 2019 release.

What would be awesome, now, it's having more keyframe interpolation modes, such as Ease in/out... that would make it so powerful and usable for some kind of nice motion graphics works too (not overly complex, it has not 3d and it will never have).

That's why calling it "garbage" seems quite gratuitous to me..

It is not at all.. and for free it's the best you can have nowadays (except for DaVinci Resolve, if your HW can handle it)
Feb 23, 2021 6:25 AM

Feb 2021
deg said:
there is also Olive that basically will be the best open source video editor they say but its still in alpha development stage

Yes, Olive has a great potential, indeed, it's innovative and unique.. but at the moment is quite unusable for any kind of "serious" editing work.
Feb 23, 2021 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
katsucats said:

Moviemaker is gone but Windows 10 has a default software called Video Editor that looks almost the same.
Apr 21, 2021 4:46 AM

Nov 2008
Back when I still made multiplayer montages, I used Shotcut. It's a nice, fairly straightforward program.

Jun 16, 2022 3:57 AM
Jul 2018
I use a program called Davinci Resolve. It's pretty much free and is very powerful if you watch some tutorials on it. You can do some really simple or complex editing depending on how much time you want to spend learning the programme, and it supports plugins too so you can do even more things.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
Jun 16, 2022 6:43 PM
Jul 2018
A good editing software might be adobe reader or foxit reader I am always using it, for videos I like avi demux
Dec 6, 2022 11:38 PM
Dec 2022
HitFilm Express, Lightworks, iMovie is the Free video editing software.
Dec 7, 2022 12:55 AM

Jun 2017
Davinci resolve is great. I've used it for a couple of projects and it has everything I could ever need for editing
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dec 7, 2022 8:13 AM

Oct 2020
Shotcut, DaVinci Resolve, Olive (FOSS editor btw). The latter is what I use the most.
Aug 15, 2023 10:41 AM

Aug 2014
I switched to Shotcut for video editing and just noticed many others mentioned it here as well. It's open source, has lots of features, and is free with no limitations. (Most good video editing software is not free and limits the functionality too much with their free trials.)

More topics from this board

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

37 by Voila_ »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 8 hours ago

26 by aikaflip »»
20 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

317 by bevarnow »»
23 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

15 by IpreferEcchi »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

40 by aikaflip »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.