Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 12, 2021 11:51 PM
Nov 2020
D_DocMay 29, 2021 11:42 PM
Jan 12, 2021 11:57 PM
Aug 2017
Its best new anime that came out in 2019. Great characters with amazing fights and animation. You should definitely check it out.
Jan 12, 2021 11:57 PM

Feb 2020
It's a very down-to-earth anime about Vikings and Conquest in early Europe. Initially it seems like a revenge story (and it kinda is) but the core plot focuses on the setting, politics and character depth. Vinland Saga also has one of the best antagonists/characters imo.
If you're a fan of historical drama with some brutal scenes, enough action and fights, and a lot of talking, then you would love it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2021 12:01 AM

Sep 2016
Short answer yes you should definitely watch it. Long answer, ultimately it's based on opinion so I can only speak from my experience, but it deserves any praise it gets as far as I'm concerned. The only thing I can think of as a possible drawback is the fact that it can feel like a lot to process each episode. The show is dark and heavy a lot of the time if that isn't your thing, but it has really enjoyable characters and fight scenes and an engaging storyline. Since you are already considering watching it I would definitely encourage you to do so. It does take a few episodes to pick up if I remember correctly, but it is well weelll worth it in my opinion.
Jan 13, 2021 12:05 AM

Nov 2018
To be honest, the dark middle ages in history bored me a lot back in school, but this anime made me fall in love with it, not to mention that Askeladd is one of my favourite characters because of how badass he is, especially in the last episode.

Go watch it. This anime is one hell of a solid amazing deal.
यदा यदा हि धर्मस्य ग्लानिर्भवति भारत।
अभ्युत्थानमधर्मस्य तदात्मानं सृजाम्यहम् ॥४-७॥

परित्राणाय साधूनां विनाशाय च दुष्कृताम् ।
धर्मसंस्थापनार्थाय सम्भवामि युगे युगे ॥४-८॥
Jan 13, 2021 12:10 AM

Jun 2016
It's got vikings and vikings are cool.
Also british history who doesn't love that?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 13, 2021 12:43 AM

Mar 2020
Watch it.
It has one of the best relationships between a protagonist and antagonist of the series. The overarching story is really hood, but characters and their interactions are even better.
Jan 13, 2021 12:52 AM

Jun 2020
It's one of the best anime of recent times with one of the most hard hitting ending in anime.
Jan 13, 2021 1:01 AM

Oct 2010
it's good, go watch it if you're into viking fights viking politics
Jan 13, 2021 1:05 AM

Apr 2019
Vinland Saga is an amazing show with great characters, a well thought out plot and some amazing fight scenes. I would highly recommend it to you.
Jan 13, 2021 3:53 AM

Jul 2020
it's really really really good, worth watching and the music is really really really good too.
Jan 13, 2021 3:58 AM
Jul 2018
One of my favs it's pretty good, OP and ED musics are amazing.
Jan 13, 2021 4:03 AM

Dec 2020
It may be an unpopular opinion but no, idk what people see in vinland saga tbh.
It started off well but it started to lose me as it went on and it became very boring.
Jan 13, 2021 5:11 AM

Oct 2020
Extreme unpopular opinion: I found it very boring, couldn't get hyped to watch it like AOT. Just no pull for me to watch. Took me like 1 month to watch all 25 eps. Overall nice animation tho so 5/10.

Try it you might like it.

Jan 13, 2021 5:31 AM
May 2009
It was an anime I've been waiting for, But its tamed compared to the manga.
They really get into how crazy and ruthless the viking pirates could have been in the Manga.
Though that kind of missing content is normal for a show that would have been broadcasted (Assuming it was. I don't know if it was)
Jan 13, 2021 5:34 AM
Jul 2018
yeah its pretty good and i enjoyed it a lot
Jan 13, 2021 5:36 AM

Oct 2019
It’s a very realistic, gritty portrayal of the lives of Vikings around 1013 AD. Don’t let its stunning imagery and light colors fool you lmao. I definitely was. A lot of people consider it the best anime of 2019 and I honestly won’t argue with that even though it was obviously SNK. High production values and realism really elevate Vinland Saga.
Jan 13, 2021 5:38 AM
Jun 2020
It's fine but nothing outstanding.
Jan 13, 2021 5:39 AM

Aug 2018
It's really, really good. But I suggest you read the manga instead, if you want to.
Jan 13, 2021 5:40 AM

Dec 2016
Go watch it and form your own opinion about it
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jan 13, 2021 5:42 AM
Feb 2015
Ignore the people that say they found it boring and couldn't get them hyped. Vinland Saga is a seinen, not some shounen designed to appeal to younger audiences purely through hype
Jan 13, 2021 5:48 AM

Oct 2019
It is definitely worth a watch. It's hype as hell and has a great story.
Jan 13, 2021 5:50 AM

Jun 2019
For me it was a huge waste of time, I can't recommend it. But I know not everyone is the same and I'm the one in the minority.

Please don't expect something realistic though, it really isn't (people can't throw giant logs of wood or kill 40 enemies alone, come on!).
Jan 13, 2021 6:05 AM

Jul 2020
For me it was average at best. I hated most of the characters, especially Thorfinn.
Jan 13, 2021 6:34 AM

Aug 2019
Yes, really good. I'd recommend it.
Jan 13, 2021 6:42 AM

Dec 2015
Worth watching ?

No, not at all.

You would have a better time watching paint dry in real life then Vinland Saga.

It's just plain and boring, out there when it come to historical shows it exist far better once.

And ýou would for sure have a better time watching Vikings on Netflix.

Jan 13, 2021 6:55 AM

Oct 2019
It depends on the kind of shows you like. Vinland Saga has action and violence, yeah, but it is a heavy dialogue show, which to some people may ruin the feeling and the pace. It is introspective in some characters, while others are just dull and plain.

I would recommend it anyway, give it a shot, but have in mind the first 3 episodes are slow, although the payoff is great overall.
Jan 13, 2021 6:59 AM

Apr 2019
It's a really good anime that everyone should watch. Great characters and it just gets better as the manga goes on

Jan 13, 2021 11:56 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This thread has been moved to the correct sub-board.

"Anime/Manga specific threads should go into their respective sub-boards."
anime-primeJan 13, 2021 12:02 PM
Jan 15, 2021 12:37 PM

Jan 2021
In my opinion, it was very bad. The characters were unlikable and unsympathetic. I'm surprised I even finished this mess.
Jan 24, 2021 6:15 AM
Aug 2015
All these people saying it's realistic are legit delusional. It's very much an anime, only with a less cartoony feel/art style than what we're usually used to. It is still very much ridiculous and the main character is extremely overpowered and naruto-runs every episode.

As for the plot itself, it starts off very strong - the first 4 episodes are very high quality storytelling with great pacing and characterization. After that there's a timeskip, and for about 10 or so episodes it remains in a single place with no real plot advancement. The ending, to be precise everything after episode 18, however is spectacular and the quality I was expecting from the show to begin with. Unfortunately, it is just barely enough to make up for the sluggish middle episodes.
Jan 26, 2021 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
I disliked it because I thought it was incredibly boring and also because of a character introduced at about the halfway point. But I still recommend it because I'm obviously in the minority position here.
Feb 13, 2021 12:27 PM
Jan 2017
Artorias- said:
Is Vinland Saga really good? Short answer: No, it's mediocre.

Long answer: It is not. It's highly rated solely for it being an anime about war, and people think war and violence = a deep and well-written story. Also, let me add that this is one of the only anime of its kind that gets an actual good adaptation, so that was a huge factor in driving up its rating. If you like good action with a mediocre story AND/OR you like war/history shows, then by all means, go for it. If you're thinking of watching it only because it's highly rated, then you will be disappointed like I was.
have you really watched vinland saga?? This show is about the opposite of what you said, it's about non violence (true warrior doesn't need a sword, people don't have enemies, unconditional love that is given to every one even stangers and people that could harm you, the nonsense of vengeance, the idea of vinland which is a place of peace where there is no slavery nor war..) these are the themes of vinland saga my dude, i don't know if you shut your mind when watching but it's obvious that vinland saga uses violence and gore to show the importance of a world of peace, and this world is constructed by contraste to a world of violence.

And vinland isn't about action my dude, how many episodes of action there are? Most of the episodes are dialogue directed, there were plenty of time where fights could have happened but it was solved with talking. I don't know what are you talking about.

At least when you criticize something you should know what it's about because the vinland saga you are saying isn't good only exists in your head and that's not vinland saga yukimura wrote.
Feb 13, 2021 12:34 PM

Jan 2020
Yes. Vinland is probably my favorite tv anime of 2019

Feb 13, 2021 12:37 PM

Dec 2016
one of the most boring shows i've ever seen, worth watching only for the Norse landscapes really
Feb 13, 2021 2:12 PM

May 2018
I personally thought it was one of the worst anime I've watched. It's terrible and unrealistic. The writing was average and I just couldn't like any character in it. I wanted to punch them all especially that despicable cunt Askeladd and his stupid dog Thorfinn.
Feb 13, 2021 3:20 PM
Jan 2017
Artorias- said:
hamza121419 said:
have you really watched vinland saga?? This show is about the opposite of what you said, it's about non violence (true warrior doesn't need a sword, people don't have enemies, unconditional love that is given to every one even stangers and people that could harm you, the nonsense of vengeance, the idea of vinland which is a place of peace where there is no slavery nor war..) these are the themes of vinland saga my dude, i don't know if you shut your mind when watching but it's obvious that vinland saga uses violence and gore to show the importance of a world of peace, and this world is constructed by contraste to a world of violence.

And vinland isn't about action my dude, how many episodes of action there are? Most of the episodes are dialogue directed, there were plenty of time where fights could have happened but it was solved with talking. I don't know what are you talking about.

At least when you criticize something you should know what it's about because the vinland saga you are saying isn't good only exists in your head and that's not vinland saga yukimura wrote.

You don't seem to be able to read what I wrote, funny VS worshipper. Not once did I mention in my post that VS was about violence and gore. Please re-read what I said if you're going to respond to me. Yeah, people are blinded by violence, yeah, violence is bad, yeah, peace is good, we get that, I don’t need to watch 24 episodes without adding a single good thing (excluding what’s mentioned in the spoiler) in order to realize that, and it doesn't make the plot a good one either. Also, the anime is literally full of action. Yes, it has a good amount of dialogue, but it also has a decent amount of action, so if you think this anime isn’t action-heavy, you’re probably delusional.

If you like the show, that is fine, I never said it was a bad anime, but it's definitely not worthy of its current rating. It's a 6/10 to me, maybe a 7/10 if I REALLY wanted to bump up the score for whatever reason, but I don't think it deserves a 7 personally. The plot probably gets a lot better later (after S1), but what we were shown was nothing spectacular.

"Short answer: No, it's mediocre." so you never said it was bad, unless you don't know what the word mediocre means.

"Long answer: It is not. It's highly rated solely for it being an anime about war, and people think war and violence = a deep and well-written story."

Again, You didn't say it's about violence and war (which obviously contains gore). Do you even realize what you are writing??

You litterly said the anime is high rated " solely" because it's about war and violence, which is completely wrong. You may dislike the story or the characters, that's fine, but saying people thinks it's good only because of its action or the bullshit you said is nonesense. Vinland saga is known for it's story, character development and the realistic themes it discusses. Yeah there are people that watched it because it has war as a theme but most of people who liked it and thought it was good think the story is amazing and the writing is brilliant, the source material has always been thought to be one of the greatest manga to exist and it's not for it's limited amount of action but rather the quality of its story.

Go informe yourself before telling nonesense, if you have only expressed your opinion about the show i wouldn't have responded to you because you have the right to judge the show the way you like,but telling lies about people who love the show isn't the way you criticize a piece of art. You may not intend to lie about it but what you said is utterly wrong. If only you didn't use the world "solely" then it would have been acceptable. Because the word you used excluded any possibility of people rating the show high not because of violence and war, but because of something else.
Feb 13, 2021 9:57 PM

May 2015
It was the best anime of 2019 next to AoT s3 p2
Feb 18, 2021 10:40 PM
Sep 2008
glenmal said:
Ignore the people that say they found it boring and couldn't get them hyped. Vinland Saga is a seinen, not some shounen designed to appeal to younger audiences purely through hype

The wisest words that I have heard.
Feb 28, 2021 1:33 AM

Nov 2019
It had a great start, but got boring and lost me as it went on. I'd watch it just for Askeladd. I don't understand why Vinland Saga gets so much praise, but hey. Don't listen to me, form your own opinion.
Everyone could use some One Piece in their life.
Feb 28, 2021 5:26 AM
Jan 2021
Its fantastic but keep in mind it's not your typical shounen anime
All anime are equally bad(good).

Ladies and gentlemen and everyone in between, please join your hands with me to promote anime equality.
Mar 2, 2021 5:55 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
It's amazing, great characters, story, and animation. Waaayyyy better than 2020's overrated Jujutsu Kaisen.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Mar 2, 2021 5:58 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
Mister_Loki said:
It had a great start, but got boring and lost me as it went on. I'd watch it just for Askeladd. I don't understand why Vinland Saga gets so much praise, but hey. Don't listen to me, form your own opinion.

But you think Jujutsu Kaisen with Gojo being the only interesting character is good? Very intriguing.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Apr 16, 2021 5:16 AM
Dec 2020
I can't believe how many people actually love the first few episodes compared to the rest of the show. I thought the first few episodes were the worst way to start a story ever. The manga did it so much better, because the manga pulls you into the story and sets up questions and introduces you to the characters that actually matter to the story rather than forcing you to spend the first few episodes following the story from the perspective of a character that has so many death flags on him that he might as well have "I'm going to die" writen over his fucking forehead. The anime lacks subtlety and beats you over the head with it's main theme starting in the first few episodes rather than introducing it into the story in a more subtle and organic way. Save yourself the time, and read the manga instead, because as far as adaptations goes, this is one of those stories where it's better to read it first and then come back to see all the action bits in it's full animated glory after you've already enjoyed the story through reading it.
Apr 19, 2021 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
I am not going to say that this is a Panegyric show, bla'bla'. Just go and watch just 4 episodes of this show and after the 4rth episode, the show will tell you everything. And I promise you, after that you'll unable to leave the show.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

392 by joelius__0 »»
Apr 26, 1:16 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.