Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2020 7:41 PM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
YESSSSSS THEY KEPT THE POISON SUCKING SCENE
Dec 4, 2020 8:03 PM

May 2017
I love this ep as well, more hualian fluff, can't believe they keep the venom sucking part lol the way san lang looking at xie lian after sucking that venom tho you can feel how worried he is. Also the way san lang killed that snake damn

Cliffhanger at beefleaf appearance aaaaand waiting for another week for new ep T.T i hope we get the sinner pit part soon at least maybe 2 more ep?
livexevilDec 4, 2020 8:20 PM
Dec 4, 2020 9:09 PM
Mar 2014
I loved the moments between Gege and San Lang. Also, its interesting to see more "female" characters in the anime. I'm excited for next weeks episode! I want to see the Hualian vs Beefleaf fight!
Dec 4, 2020 9:22 PM

Jan 2020
I thought the scene of Nan Feng and Fu Yao getting pulled up into the twister was funny in the novel, and I was not disappointed in the donghua version either. Them barking at each other and their facial expressions was gold! XD

I always welcome Hualian fluff too. San Lang seemed disappointed that he was careless enough that he caused Xie Lian to get stung. At least that is my interpretation.
Dec 4, 2020 9:39 PM

May 2017
LadyYuina said:

I always welcome Hualian fluff too. San Lang seemed disappointed that he was careless enough that he caused Xie Lian to get stung. At least that is my interpretation.
after i watch it again well he def did look more disappointed to himself just like you say that he was careless caused xie lian to get stung xD
Dec 4, 2020 10:31 PM
May 2020
I really love how close this is to the novel (I mean the whole series so far). Especially that they kept all the Hualian interactions.

This episode already started off great with Ruoye binding San Lang and Xie Lian apologizing. Like, I think he wouldn't mind staying like this for the next 800 years 😂
Dec 4, 2020 10:38 PM

Jan 2016
Nice episode! Fengqing expression are hilarious lmao... Suprised that they kept the sucking scene....wondering how far they can go for future Hualian scene?hmmmm
Dec 4, 2020 11:58 PM
Oct 2017
That one scene that most people have mentioned... With Xie Lian getting stung and the poison and whatever... And then San Lang's expression when he gets rid of the offending snake. Like. AHDFOSHIlijfdaljadsjklfdaa;dlksfkl;jdsl;jadfaskl;adfl;

And okay, besides that.. The translations I'm seeing are pretty MEH.
First they translate "gege" (older brother literally, but uh, not really, more like, endearing, idk) as "Lian" (like what)

and second

"CUZ I CAN'T"
was an actual translation for a line.

Who the heck translates and then uses "cuz"
Please tell me I was watching some fan translation...

But no wait, even fan translations tend to be better...

Dec 5, 2020 12:22 AM

Jan 2016
AC9123 said:
First they translate "gege" (older brother literally, but uh, not really, more like, endearing, idk) as "Lian" (like what)
idk maybe they try to avoid the bro thing lmao....."gege" does literally mean “older brother,” but it’s definitely not being used like that. It’s definitely a pretty intimate form of address when used in this context...If I called a guy that I’m not literally related to “gege,” it would definitely mean something...in China, if a girl calls you “gege”, it represents that your relationship is much closed even be intended as subtly flirtatious. But i def agree with the trans kinda off......they should have let it as "gege" imo instead try to trans it to lian 😔...i mean its HC's pet name for XL.
Strawberry_waltzDec 5, 2020 12:27 AM
Dec 5, 2020 12:35 AM

Aug 2008
instead of ranting be happy is a translation fast... at some i wait a LOT
just change yourself as u read the meaning
problem fix
The spider is watching
Dec 5, 2020 12:54 AM

Jan 2016
dany_elle1908 said:
problem fix
i mean im happy they provide the eng trans, but as their costumer i can voiced my thought about the show too & what they lack etc.....even tho i prefer if they use 'gege' instead of lian, im still love the show and gratefull of what they did lol
Dec 5, 2020 1:12 AM
Oct 2017
dany_elle1908 said:
problem fix

I mean of course I’m happy there are translations... but why couldn’t they have done a better job? Did they not have money or something. I have no idea. (And anyway I think I’d vaguely understand what was going on without subtitles, seeing as I read that part in the book already. Key word “vaguely”)
Dec 5, 2020 1:24 AM

Feb 2014
Thanksss god, everything is according the original plot! :')
So many tension scenes between Xie Lian and Sang Lang i love it..
Dec 5, 2020 1:08 PM

Jul 2009
I don't remember too much about the current Arc I think, but I do remember it being my least favorite because it was as slow as many keep complaining about.
I think it IS pretty underwelming for people who expect shit to go down right now. The short 'battle' scenes (when you can even call it that, lol) aren't that impressive, either.

But it's still entertaining because at this time they focus more on the characters and their relationships. With every episode we learn more small details about the characters that are going to be very important later on when shit is REALLY going to go down.

I can totally see people liking future seasons much more than the 1st one.
Just like I liked the novel much more later on, as well.

Loved Hualian's interactions in this episode were beautiful as well. I didn't think they'd show the poison sucking scene but I'm glad they did!
Dec 5, 2020 1:32 PM

Jun 2011
dany_elle1908 said:
problem fix

It is possible to critique something while still appreciating and enjoying it.

Vedrun said:
I don't remember too much about the current Arc I think, but I do remember it being my least favorite because it was as slow as many keep complaining about.

Yeah, same. At this point in the novel, I remember being skeptical as to whether I'd want to continue reading. I'm glad I decided to keep reading because eventually I was completely hooked - it definitely paid off - but the plot does take a while to really get moving while the pieces of the characters' intertwined histories gradually come together.
Dec 5, 2020 2:05 PM

Feb 2011
'Lian' instead of 'gege' threw me off too.

San Lang's expression was like :[ at one point, that cracked me up.
眠れないのは君のせい
Dec 5, 2020 4:17 PM
Jul 2020
Ooo this was a good ep!
AryaleDec 5, 2020 4:35 PM
Dec 7, 2020 12:50 PM
Dec 2018
so... just caught up as an outsider.

This is my first CN anime and i disagree with the current ratings.
I dont see anything super interesting going on. (Art and animation are good)

And from the comments ive read it seems like *later* the great and amazing shit wll be adapted and that we need to get through the slower start first. But then it should be appropriate to rate what we have and not what is still to come in future seasons lol.

so yea im not bored when watching this show but im also not really entertained. Its a 6.5/10 for me right now.

I also dont like the gay ship that is going on. Not a big fan of this development. There are times where im in the mood for gay shows cuz its a breath of fresh air, but sometimes im simply not. And this anime is not tagged as a yaoi show so im a lil bit upset. If id like to watch a gay anime i would watch the Given movie since S1 of the anime was pretty sick

i can understand your peeps excitement about your CN LN getting adapted but lets evaluate the present and what we have.

Dunno if the season will end on a climax, but from what it looks like... Probably not. (Dont spoil me if im wrong.)

Rating here reminds me of Current AoT S4 where everyone spams the *anime* with a 10 because of what theyve *read* in the manga.

these are 2 seperate mediums and the anime should be rated in terms of how well it **adapts** the content of the original source and how well it translated it into anime.
its wrong to rate an anime based off the manga counterpart.

And tbf AoT ep1 had lots of problems with blurryness, a trash OP and sometimes wonky CGI that didnt blend in well with the 2D environment.

Sorry didnt want to talk too long about AoT
Anyway, despite this maybe "negative" post, i hope im welcome into the "Donghua Community" as i plan on watching a couple more mainstream shows like MDZS, Kings Avatar and a few others.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk
Dec 7, 2020 7:07 PM
Nov 2020
DruMzTV said:

And from the comments ive read it seems like *later* the great and amazing shit wll be adapted and that we need to get through the slower start first. But then it should be appropriate to rate what we have and not what is still to come in future seasons lol.

so yea im not bored when watching this show but im also not really entertained. Its a 6.5/10 for me right now.

I also dont like the gay ship that is going on. Not a big fan of this development. There are times where im in the mood for gay shows cuz its a breath of fresh air, but sometimes im simply not. And this anime is not tagged as a yaoi show so im a lil bit upset. If id like to watch a gay anime i would watch the Given movie since S1 of the anime was pretty sick

i can understand your peeps excitement about your CN LN getting adapted but lets evaluate the present and what we have.

Dunno if the season will end on a climax, but from what it looks like... Probably not. (Dont spoil me if im wrong.)

Rating here reminds me of Current AoT S4 where everyone spams the *anime* with a 10 because of what theyve *read* in the manga.

these are 2 seperate mediums and the anime should be rated in terms of how well it **adapts** the content of the original source and how well it translated it into anime.

And tbf AoT ep1 had lots of problems with blurryness, a trash OP and sometimes wonky CGI that didnt blend in well with the 2D environment.

Anyway, despite this maybe "negative" post, i hope im welcome into the "Donghua Community" as i plan on watching a couple more mainstream shows like MDZS, Kings Avatar and a few others.

I'm glad you're willing to share your thoughts truthfully and with respect. I'm relatively new to donghua too (anime really), and more importantly, the source material (from MXTX, the author), so I understand how you feel about this show.

I do agree that we can evaluate a work better only when we can look at it as a complete whole. In the case of TGCF, we will need to wait until Jan 2 (not that far off).

One of the flaws of TGCF, but one that may be resolved in later seasons, is its inability to be a stand-alone piece (yet). You really need to know the backstory (wonderfully crafted by MXTX, by the way) to really feel the impact, the emotion, and the implications expressed in this show.

I don't have anything more to say now, so I will end off by saying that I'm glad to have a conversation with you and other forumers in this thread. Stay safe, and have a nice day.
Dec 7, 2020 7:13 PM

Jun 2011
DruMzTV said:

Even as a fan, my assessment would not be too different. I'm enjoying it, but it has not yet gotten to the point where the characters and relationships are truly interesting. Moreover, many of the main characters have yet to even be introduced. I can understand why some people would not have the patience with the pacing.

DruMzTV said:

I don't know what to tell you. If it's this early in the story and the main relationship is already rubbing you the wrong way, maybe just drop it? I mean, on the one hand, Chinese censorship means that you won't likely see anything too demonstrative that would confirm the romantic nature of it - but it is still based on a danmei (Chinese equivalent of BL/yaoi) novel, and the relationship is a very significant part of the story.

DruMzTV said:

I don't disagree, but everyone has their own way of determining how they rate something. For example, I refuse to rate something unless (1) I've completed it, or (2) I've gotten to the point that I feel it's necessary to drop it. (Therefore, I haven't given TGCF a rating yet.)

Moreover, I try to take various elements of it into consideration (plot, character development, relationships, soundtrack, animation/cinematography, etc). I also factor how much I enjoyed it/felt engaged in spite of its flaws.

But some people may rate simply based on their love/enthusiasm for something. I understand where you're coming from, but there's no point in getting upset over people rating differently than you; people are going to do what they want to do.

DruMzTV said:

Just in case you didn't know, MDZS is based on a novel by the same author as TGCF. The two (male) main characters are romantically involved in the source material. The romance develops later in the storyline compared to TGCF, so it's hard to say at this point how much of it will or will not be censored in the donghua.

I'm not sure what it is you don't like about the "gay ship" in TGCF when gay content is apparently sometimes acceptable to you, but thought you should know ahead of time.
Dec 8, 2020 3:48 AM
Dec 2018
celestialocean said:
DruMzTV said:

Even as a fan, my assessment would not be too different. I'm enjoying it, but it has not yet gotten to the point where the characters and relationships are truly interesting. Moreover, many of the main characters have yet to even be introduced. I can understand why some people would not have the patience with the pacing.

DruMzTV said:

I don't know what to tell you. If it's this early in the story and the main relationship is already rubbing you the wrong way, maybe just drop it? I mean, on the one hand, Chinese censorship means that you won't likely see anything too demonstrative that would confirm the romantic nature of it - but it is still based on a danmei (Chinese equivalent of BL/yaoi) novel, and the relationship is a very significant part of the story.

DruMzTV said:

I don't disagree, but everyone has their own way of determining how they rate something. For example, I refuse to rate something unless (1) I've completed it, or (2) I've gotten to the point that I feel it's necessary to drop it. (Therefore, I haven't given TGCF a rating yet.)

Moreover, I try to take various elements of it into consideration (plot, character development, relationships, soundtrack, animation/cinematography, etc). I also factor how much I enjoyed it/felt engaged in spite of its flaws.

But some people may rate simply based on their love/enthusiasm for something. I understand where you're coming from, but there's no point in getting upset over people rating differently than you; people are going to do what they want to do.

DruMzTV said:

Just in case you didn't know, MDZS is based on a novel by the same author as TGCF. The two (male) main characters are romantically involved in the source material. The romance develops later in the storyline compared to TGCF, so it's hard to say at this point how much of it will or will not be censored in the donghua.

I'm not sure what it is you don't like about the "gay ship" in TGCF when gay content is apparently sometimes acceptable to you, but thought you should know ahead of time.

yo thanks. to you and the comment above you, got nothing really to say except that i read both of it.

about the gay ship, its not that i can think of flaws where i can put my finger on and say "yeah that was bad" its just that i dont *feel it* right now.
maybe i prefer more homosexuality explored in anime when its more open and acceptable towards gay stuff.

Most likely not a perfect reason but hard to explain
Dec 8, 2020 3:48 AM
Dec 2018
ilalochezia said:
DruMzTV said:

I'm glad you're willing to share your thoughts truthfully and with respect. I'm relatively new to donghua too (anime really), and more importantly, the source material (from MXTX, the author), so I understand how you feel about this show.

I do agree that we can evaluate a work better only when we can look at it as a complete whole. In the case of TGCF, we will need to wait until Jan 2 (not that far off).

One of the flaws of TGCF, but one that may be resolved in later seasons, is its inability to be a stand-alone piece (yet). You really need to know the backstory (wonderfully crafted by MXTX, by the way) to really feel the impact, the emotion, and the implications expressed in this show.

I don't have anything more to say now, so I will end off by saying that I'm glad to have a conversation with you and other forumers in this thread. Stay safe, and have a nice day.

thanks~
--------------------
Dec 8, 2020 9:21 AM

Jul 2009
@DruMzTV
I totally agree with you.

The thing is just... It's very hard (at least for me) to just ignore that I know the whole story already. Because I know the story, I see hidden meaning in the character's interactions and a certain anticipation that "outsiders" don't see and feel hence they don't enjoy it as much. Because I can imagine that THIS is exactly what prevents it from becoming boring at certain points.

So it's less people rating it high because it's their favorite novel, but more that they just get more enjoyment out of it.

The first season is more or less an "instruction season" you could say.
Dec 8, 2020 9:35 AM
Dec 2018
Vedrun said:
@DruMzTV
I totally agree with you.

The thing is just... It's very hard (at least for me) to just ignore that I know the whole story already. Because I know the story, I see hidden meaning in the character's interactions and a certain anticipation that "outsiders" don't see and feel hence they don't enjoy it as much. Because I can imagine that THIS is exactly what prevents it from becoming boring at certain points.

So it's less people rating it high because it's their favorite novel, but more that they just get more enjoyment out of it.

The first season is more or less an "instruction season" you could say.

that was actually a good post. Think i can see it better now if there are like subtle hints placed throughout.
Dec 8, 2020 3:00 PM

Jun 2011
DruMzTV said:
maybe i prefer more homosexuality explored in anime when its more open and acceptable towards gay stuff.

Most likely not a perfect reason but hard to explain

No, actually, that does make sense. The homophobia some of the characters express is also grating to me. I just ended up loving TGCF (and MDZS) so much overall that I am willing to overlook it.
Dec 8, 2020 3:52 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Great episode, as per. I can't believe there's only four episodes left of this season. I might have to go read the novel once it's finished.

It's still crazy to me that despite not really knowing a single word of Chinese, I can understand a few of the characters in the subtitles just because it's the same as the kanji.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Dec 8, 2020 8:07 PM

Jun 2019
The editing remains off on occasion with there being awkward silence before some cuts. The gay moments between the leads is done decently well, but I wish it was done a little more naturally. It isn’t as bad as some other shows, but it does feel fanservice-y.
Dec 20, 2020 6:31 AM

Dec 2016
I really enjoyed this episode as well. I personally don't mind the slowness and step-by-step revealing this donghua is doing. It's not unbelievably boring like some top anime on MAL that you need to watch to __ep to really enjoy.
Characters are very pleasing and that's a very big thing for me. Animation and art is like a cherry on top. And if they do arcs like the first one, I have no worries for the plot. MXTX (author) probably left a ton of foreshadowing and clues already in these episodes, so pay attention.
On the side note. I adore XL's silk and the reactions of everyone when they were tied.
Jul 29, 2022 2:22 PM

Dec 2016
Oh dear, San Lang acts like a good but still mischievous child when he's around Xie Lian. (╯▽╰ ) ♥

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tian Guan Ci Fu Episode 8 Discussion

Xealias - Dec 11, 2020

25 by Karva1 »»
Apr 9, 4:17 PM

Poll: » Tian Guan Ci Fu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xealias - Oct 30, 2020

140 by Karva1 »»
Apr 6, 10:13 PM

Poll: » Tian Guan Ci Fu Episode 11 Discussion

Xealias - Jan 1, 2021

31 by BladeRunnerAri »»
Feb 6, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Tian Guan Ci Fu Episode 9 Discussion

livexevil - Dec 19, 2020

34 by ProudtobeMAD »»
Jan 26, 11:43 AM

» Anyone watch the Japanese version?

Mishiia - Jan 23

4 by Mishiia »»
Jan 24, 10:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.