Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2008 2:16 PM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What did you all think of this show? I'm surprised there isnt a discussion already about it.

Anyway, I thought it was really interesting to see exactlly WHAT shounen bat and maromi were.

The ending was pretty confusing though. Wasn't the old man dead? And we never really quite figured out what his huge calculation was for, did we? I mean the last moment of the anime he finishes with the japanese characters "アニ" which is "ani" and he gets all shocked. My first reaction was that he was calculating what was happening in the anime as we were watching it, and then came to the realization that he was , in fact, in an anime. Sort of defying the whole "fourth wall" idea. But I could be completely wrong.

Really good show overall. I didn't really understand why they had a few of those episodes in the middle, that seemed like they didn't really relate to the show. (people who wanted to commit suicide, gossiping wives) but i guess that helped to show how people were thinking of shounen bat and how it helped him grow from a hit-and-run assailant boy to a big black blob of nothing.
KinetaNov 23, 2012 9:24 AM
Apr 8, 2008 5:51 PM

Mar 2008
The shows in the middle, which seemed unrelated to the actual events, actually advanced the motif of the show. The housewives talking showed just how the stories of shounen bat were feeding off the hysteria of the public. The three people who tried to commit suicide were also feeding shounen bat's energy by looking to death as a way to escape reality, which is exactly what shounen bat's purpose is.

I enjoyed this show immensely. It's a very poignant story about how escaping from reality does more harm than facing it.
Jun 1, 2008 4:12 PM
May 2008
I watched that show back when it was on Cartoon Network, and now I'm watching the subs out of nostalgia and a desire to see what I might have missed.

I never usually get into this scary psychological kind of stuff, but I REALLY liked Paranoia Agent. The mysteries kept me guessing until the very end. I think the thing that sets it apart from similar shows is its bizarre sense of humor. Some of the freakiest episodes were even freakier because of the misplaced humor. But sometimes that's there just to lull you into a false sense of security, so when the "WTF?" moment arrives, it hits you head-on.

One of my favorite scenes is the long chalk equation, and the way he looks shocked as he reaches the end. To me that represented the fact that if we ever truly understood all the bizarre things in the universe, it would drive us crazy.
Jul 4, 2008 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
Wonderfully written story... it all came together nicely: all the characters, their issues, the questions, everything.

So the last equation the old man was writing, is what Katsup said true?
Sep 7, 2008 4:02 PM
Apr 2008
katsup said:
The ending was pretty confusing though. Wasn't the old man dead? And we never really quite figured out what his huge calculation was for, did we? I mean the last moment of the anime he finishes with the japanese characters "アニ" which is "ani" and he gets all shocked. My first reaction was that he was calculating what was happening in the anime as we were watching it, and then came to the realization that he was , in fact, in an anime. Sort of defying the whole "fourth wall" idea. But I could be completely wrong.

I didn't notice that, but it's very interesting. Hmm. :/
But, wasn't the old man at the end the detective, Maniwa-or-something?

Also, I was under the impression that the people in the episode where they kept trying to commit suicide were already dead - they had no shadows. What could that mean?

I feel like the ending brought up more questions than answers, but I like it that way.
Sep 8, 2008 6:00 AM

Jun 2007
NumaFace said:

I didn't notice that, but it's very interesting. Hmm. :/
But, wasn't the old man at the end the detective, Maniwa-or-something?

Also, I was under the impression that the people in the episode where they kept trying to commit suicide were already dead - they had no shadows. What could that mean?

Indeed he was. He became his successor after being fired and becoming Radar Man, it seems.

As for the internet suicide group, I thought about them being dead already only near the end of the episode, when Fubayashi felt his condition getting worse, had no more medicine, yet it was like nothing happened. Also because the photography thing. As for the no shadows, it seems that it started happening after the building where they first tried to kill themselves was demolished. That explains why their latter attempts to kill themselves didn't work, why they saw the man who killed himself at the subway walking out "alive" and why the Shounen Bat ran away from them.
Oct 4, 2008 1:48 PM

Apr 2008
Woah, I was clue-less... but now... hell I think I'm no where around
D:
Oct 18, 2008 12:58 PM

Dec 2007
katsup said:

If you compare Maniwa's calculations in the final episode to the old man's calculation in the beginning of the first episode, you will see that they are exactly the same. So I would read the end of the calculation as "-- Mq^2ア=". And because the calculations are the same, that means the answer is 510. Which was the number of Sagi's hospital room. Though this time it most likely refers to something else.

So it means everything is now back in the beginning again. The story made a full circle. It just goes round and round. And that was why Maniwa didn't look so happy when he realized it.

And if Sagi is now cured of her past problems, it will simply be somebody else's turn this time. Just like in the first scenes seen in the series (and the last ones) everybody is either lying or saying that something that happened isn't their fault. Sagi's own lie came back to haunt her until she finally admitted it.

I liked this series and specially the opening song :D But about the suicide group episode, I would like know what did the girls see in the picture they took. The parts I didn't like were those were Maniwa thought he was in some game -__-' .

Maybe I watch this series again so I will understand more :D
Oct 23, 2008 1:35 AM

Sep 2007
Aoi_ said:
I liked this series and specially the opening song :D But about the suicide group episode, I would like know what did the girls see in the picture they took.

Those people were ghosts. The girls taking the picture didn't see them until they mysteriously showed up in the picture. Hence the surprise. :-P

Overall, awesome series. I'm not really sure about the whole pink/black mass swallowing everything and nearly destroying the city, though. Guess it just adds to the surrealism, but I would have liked it more if everything had occurred inside the characters' heads.
Mar 28, 2009 7:48 PM
Nov 2008
Well the series was certainly entertaining. Although I obviously didn't get as much out of it as you guys did. I suppose I'll have to give it another round to see all that I missed.
Apr 12, 2009 5:28 AM

Feb 2009
The world is about to end because of a puppy.
Apr 12, 2009 1:45 PM

Jan 2008
this show turned out to be way more WTF than i thought it would. so in the end, it seemed there was really no point to the "connections" of all the initial victims. and how come about half way through, shounen bat went from knocking people unconscious to flat out killing them. and was reality suppose to be bent so much that those video game style scenes were ACTUALLY happening or was that just what was going on in their minds. too many questions at the end of a show if you ask me
Apr 22, 2009 10:07 PM

Feb 2008
naikou said:
Overall, awesome series. I'm not really sure about the whole pink/black mass swallowing everything and nearly destroying the city, though. Guess it just adds to the surrealism, but I would have liked it more if everything had occurred inside the characters' heads.
I assumed it was in their heads. Or more accurately, the collective unconscious of the main people affected. The city being destroyed seemed to me more like a metaphor than Maromi and black goo literally destroying everything.
May 20, 2009 2:34 PM

Mar 2009
Ryderj said:
I assumed it was in their heads. Or more accurately, the collective unconscious of the main people affected. The city being destroyed seemed to me more like a metaphor than Maromi and black goo literally destroying everything.

except when ikari came out of the underground, the city was practically leveled and he mentioned that it was like "after the war"
not to mentioned when it timeskipped to two years later the news guy mentioned that the 'tokyo rebuild effort' was nearly completed
Jun 29, 2009 10:11 PM

Jul 2008
It could be both a metaphor and actual events in the anime.
I think the whole message of facing reality, owning up to your responsibilities, not trying to escape, etc. along with the revelation that shonen bat is Maromi and that they are both not of reality also tries to make a point about how people escape reality through culture, such as anime. That message kind of lets anything go, as the series is saying, "It's just an anime."
Jul 26, 2009 10:15 AM
Nov 2008
I'm the one who's quite into this...

It's kind of Surreal/Magical Realism narrative device
Satoshi Kon's styled

I missed Perfect Blue.
Aug 11, 2009 6:47 PM
Apr 2009
I Just finished this series. After reading the pervious comments I understand it more..mainly the ending part through me off....but in the epilogue of that episode the guy says everything restarted...also the part about the suicide group already being dead totally went over my head. Thanks guys :)
Oct 29, 2009 11:02 PM
Apr 2008
So that's what, not who, Shounen Bat really was. Wow.

Sheepdude said:
It's a very poignant story about how escaping from reality does more harm than facing it.

What they said. ^ It brings up a lot of interesting issues, issues I hadn't really thought about before. I really enjoyed this series, definitely going to be watching more Satoshi Kon works in the future.
Nov 21, 2009 1:30 AM

Jan 2009
I liked it.
I'm just wondering what in the world I just watched... o_o Yea, the"ani" thing was bugging me for a while. I saw that whenever he was writing.. wondering if he was writing anime. The only thing that really bugged me was the lady having a heart attack(after she decided to live), and the ran over dog(have a soft spot for dogs).
It was a nice touch killing off a ton of people last minute though. Shounen Bat was only killing off corrupted mentally disturbed people that wanted to escape from life. Everyone's like that some times though.. Everyone glows red some times.. Only was a matter of time before a mass killing. Great anime. Brought up interesting stuff.
Nov 27, 2009 3:32 AM

Nov 2009
Odd ending for an odd anime, but i liked it , it had creepy songs, not to bad animation and a overall unique storyline. I just hope that cat thing doesn't mean its starting all over again.
Dec 10, 2009 2:51 AM

Jan 2008
All that just because of her illusions and her stupid dog? Wow....
Remember guys, don't try to escape from reality, it'll be the end of the world.
Dec 17, 2009 11:41 PM

Dec 2007
This reminds me of Chaos head. With the delusions. The whole didn't make any sense. I thought it was supposed to be realistic, but I guess this works. Was that Maniwa writing the formula at the end of the episode? They still didn't explain the doll guy. I guess that it was a good series, but it was just confusing.
Jan 2, 2010 1:29 AM

Jan 2008
The ending was rubbish in all honesty.Character thoughts were turned to reality just to suit the story and given very little explanation but i did enjoy the eps showing each victims' backstory and how they became 'cornered'
Jan 9, 2010 7:55 PM

Jan 2010
When the detective says, "it's just like after the war.", after seeing all the destruction, I remembered after watching the opening first couple of times there's an image with the detective standing (I think) on a water tower in the background is an image of one of the cities blown up by the atomic bomb during the war.

Do you think it has a reference to the idea how anime came around due to the atomic bombing of japan during second world war (this is stated in Roland Kelts' book "Japanamerica") and after the second world war that pop culture started to dominate. It could also refer to how people use the "excuse" (quotation marks, as this is left up to interpretation) of the bomb, so that the war could finally end.
This would explain the circling, as a time in the past makes this case plausible.
"“Religion, the dominion of the human mind;
Property, the dominion of human needs; and
Government, the dominion of human conduct,
represent the stronghold of man's enslavement
and all the horrors it entails.”"
— Emma Goldman
Feb 10, 2010 2:32 PM

Nov 2009
I will take care of what remains of my sanity.
Mar 7, 2010 9:41 PM
Mar 2010
To be honest, ending was little disappointing, i guess I was expecting something better. Still, it's a great show, hands down.
Mar 27, 2010 3:05 AM

Mar 2010
I loved the music when Ikari destroys his world. It's not featured in the Soundtrack, or I didn't look good enough. Anyone knows its name or when I can get it?

That's some signature, eh?
Apr 9, 2010 3:01 PM
Jan 2009
I actually enjoyed this anime, even though some parts threw me off for a bit.
I like how everything came together in the end. We find out for sure how Lil Slugger came to be.

But that ending, with the old man. I don't understand...
Apr 11, 2010 9:19 PM

Feb 2010
Wow. Marathoned it on this lazy Sunday. One of my first mindfuck/paranormal/surreal anime. I seriously had goosebumps during some of these episodes, I love when an anime or any form of entertainment does this. Kind of left me on a downer. Might hold off on the mindfuck/paranormal/surreal anime for a while after this one.
Apr 21, 2010 6:50 AM
Oct 2008
kawaiimisato said:
this show turned out to be way more WTF than i thought it would. so in the end, it seemed there was really no point to the "connections" of all the initial victims. and how come about half way through, shounen bat went from knocking people unconscious to flat out killing them. and was reality suppose to be bent so much that those video game style scenes were ACTUALLY happening or was that just what was going on in their minds. too many questions at the end of a show if you ask me

I think the victims being linked was key to the spreading of Lil' Slugger's influence (I watched it subbed but I prefer LS to Shonen Bat =P) sort of a web of influence, slowly spreading from victim to victim untill all of japan was caught up in the paranoia.

I still wonder why Lil Slugger attacked his first true victim though. I guess it was to get the journalist off Tsukiko's back and stop people thinking she was lying. Oher than that I'm still not sure I understand why Slugger attacked all those people and fed off the paranoia. I guess it was Tsukiko subconsciously being afraid she'd be found out and so her delusion had to live up to all the outlandish rumours.
Apr 28, 2010 8:22 AM

Aug 2008
Mixon said:
I loved the music when Ikari destroys his world. It's not featured in the Soundtrack, or I didn't look good enough. Anyone knows its name or when I can get it?

Here is the title of the song. (Written in the notes.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_Agent_Original_Soundtrack
Apr 28, 2010 10:41 AM

Jan 2010
Enjoyed this series and the whole facing/escaping reality thing, and the mindscrewing experience that came with it.

Also love the OP.
May 9, 2010 8:45 PM

Jan 2010
This anime was really interesting to me. It was hella lot confusing, but good. I get the whole maromi's death causing Lil Slugger to appear in her imagination, but the black lagoon swamp mess was confusing.

Anyways, I like how a lot of things connected in this series as it moved along.
Things I don't get: Even though Lil Slugger was a part of Sagi's imagination, other characters, including the audience, saw the actual form of him, and his attacks. Does that mean that even though he was an illusion, he actually had a form? Lol, confusing...
May 9, 2010 9:07 PM

Dec 2007
Shounen Bat/Lil Slugger was just an amalgamation of people not taking responsibility for their own shortcomings. This is, of course, with regard to the real Shounen Bat and not the imposter Fox who went after the corrupt cop.

It all started when Tsukiko's dog got away from her as a kid when she wasn't looking and it was hit by a car (or somehow died, it's been years since I last watched PA so details are hasty). Instead of taking responsibility and saying that it was her fault that she didn't look out for the dog, she avoided responsibility and blamed it on a mythical grade schooler with roller blades and a bat.

With the attacks later of Tsukiko after her anxiety of creating a new hit character like Maromi, Kawazu after not being able to pay off the debts of so many people nor being able to write a story, Chou for her not being able to have a stable life with either of her two personalities, etc. All his attacks were on people who had heavy responsibilities and who wouldn't take responsibility for their shortcomings, or failed attacks when people would stand up to him (such as the detective's wife).

So, Shounen Bat never had a physical form. He just had an imposter (Fox) who wanted to act as a Holy Warrior of sorts.
May 14, 2010 3:18 AM

Jan 2009
lol maniwa became psychotic in the end and take the place of the old man who wrote equations on the parking lots

this is an interesting anime from start to finish the most memorable episode for me is episode 9 where it gave me good laughs and thats rare to see on an anime that is serious in nature

and i guess the story will loop again just like how Albert Einstein define insanity and thats "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" and this time the main character will not be a puppy but a cat
degMay 14, 2010 3:44 AM
May 16, 2010 1:42 PM

Mar 2010
lzumi-chan said:
Mixon said:

Here is the title of the song. (Written in the notes.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_Agent_Original_Soundtrack

Oh, never thought about looking on Wikipedia.
Thanks a ton.

That's some signature, eh?
May 19, 2010 5:08 PM

Feb 2010
Really liked this show. Great mind-boggling episodes which in the end all together make up the big picture. Also loved the intro and the music in the last episode. Epic :D
I probably regret this post by now.
May 21, 2010 1:54 PM

Nov 2008
Okay I liked this ending.
But introducing supernatural elements when I was expecting a realistic thriller was what disappointed and like aero said: "All that just because of her illusions and her stupid dog?"
Main plot was quite weak compared to the episodic stories.

I was about to give a 9 but in the end, this gets a 8.
May 24, 2010 1:34 PM
Apr 2009
Wauw, the imbetween episodes were just ''ok'' but this last episode was amazing. It all fitted together, and it was told very well..So they were the same.. And lol, its all because of her dog.

A more fitting ending would prob be that everything returned to the way it was though (seeing as they got brainwashed anyways?) instead of just still blowing the city up. Although I guess that's too cliche.

What happened to the partner of the chief though? I was kinda disappointed that the chief was the sub-main char that helped the girl, instead of the skinny dude. Cause he was the one that believed it/really wanted to investigate all this.

Good anime. 7/10 from me. Raised a point because of the last ep
May 24, 2010 1:37 PM
Apr 2009
Wauw, the imbetween episodes were just ''ok'' but this last episode was amazing. It all fitted together, and it was told very well..So they were the same.. And lol, its all because of her dog.

A more fitting ending would prob be that everything returned to the way it was though (seeing as they got brainwashed anyways?) instead of just still blowing the city up. Although I guess that's too cliche.

What happened to the partner of the chief though? I was kinda disappointed that the chief was the sub-main char that helped the girl, instead of the skinny dude. Cause he was the one that believed it/really wanted to investigate all this.

Good anime. 7/10 from me. Raised a point because of the last ep
Jun 20, 2010 12:56 AM

Mar 2009
A very weird anime overall.
Jul 2, 2010 5:56 AM
Apr 2010
For some reason, I just despise helpless and incompetent characters that won't admit that they did something wrong for fear of punishment . Tsukiko Sagi is now the embodiment of my hatred.

The entire problem in the series was her fault!!!! Is it just me or did no one else hate her for that?
Chicken_RamenJul 8, 2010 7:43 PM
Jul 28, 2010 2:26 AM

Oct 2007
Well, I wonder who Shounen Bat will feed off as the main host in the next cycle with Maniwa guiding the next successor. It truly was a circle.

Shounen Bat will never die =)
Sep 24, 2010 3:48 PM

Aug 2009
10/10 Loved it!! The music and art were fantastical!
Sep 26, 2010 2:44 AM

Aug 2009
I was wondering about 1 thing throughout most of the anime...
What the heck was Satoshi Kon smoking when he made this?

First half was great. Especially episode 5. Or 6... Or was it 7? I don't remember, but it was great.
Then the fillerish episodes started. The suicidal ghost episode was good, but who cared about the gossiping wives anyway?
After that, we got a girl and that old lady and that man... I still don't know what their connection was with the actual story.

Overall a confusing story. I know that I probably haven't picked up everything, but it was just... too weird for me.

I'm in a rating crisis at the moment. It was a great experience up to one point, and then everything just got too long-threaded and I didn't really care anymore.

And all of this... because of a delusional introvert girl's puppy dying?
I am slightly disappointed.

But it was an overall enjoyable ride.
7/10
Oct 2, 2010 5:19 AM

Jul 2010
This Anime turned out to be more "deep" that I thought it would be in the beginning. Trying to "escape" reality is not the best thing to do. The episode with the "internet suicide group" where they are using death to try "escape" reality, and then story with the detective's wife basically saying that suicide is for those "too weak to accept reality" really enhanced the overall themes.

8/10
Definitely a good psychological watch.
Will you be able to do.... what must be done?

Oct 6, 2010 9:58 AM

May 2010
SamTheNayru said:
I was wondering about 1 thing throughout most of the anime...
What the heck was Satoshi Kon smoking when he made this?

First half was great. Especially episode 5. Or 6... Or was it 7? I don't remember, but it was great.
Then the fillerish episodes started. The suicidal ghost episode was good, but who cared about the gossiping wives anyway?
After that, we got a girl and that old lady and that man... I still don't know what their connection was with the actual story.

Haha. Have you seen any other Satoshi Kon's works? If he smoked anything at all, it would be a tiny percent of what he was smokin when he made Perfect Blue or Paprika...

I actually enjoyed the housewifes' stories episodes. Some were quite entertaining =D

Good anime to watch alone after midnight)

10/10
Oct 27, 2010 11:07 PM
Oct 2009
I can't tell you guys how many times I've put this anime at the back of my watch-list and for how long. To be honest, I though it was going to be be horrible. I dont have a reason why, but I just did. Then, one day when I finally decided "Ok, this anime keeps popping up in your head. Just watch it and get it over with, it's a short series and you wont have to worry about it anymore." But, I cant tell you how wrong I was. Every episode was completely compelling to me and had it's own quirks and WTF moments I couldn't get enough of. I watched every episode in a row just to find out who exactly lil slugger was and try to make sense of everything that was going on. It was amazing and I felt like I was an investigator within the show myself, being surprised, excited, horrified and shocked by everything the characters themselves witnessed. Also, it had a great ending. Amazing anime in my opinion, a definite must watch for mystery lovers and anime fans alike.

10/10
Nov 29, 2010 7:43 PM

Nov 2009
Well this was interesting show but really confusing most of the time. 8th episode was the best for me with the trio trying die.

8/10
Jan 13, 2011 8:48 PM

Nov 2010
STM said:
And all of this... because of a delusional introvert girl's puppy dying?

suicideducky said:
The world is about to end because of a puppy.

cough cough *elfen lied* cough cough.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

90 by pennyisirl »»
Apr 21, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kawaiimisato - Apr 11, 2009

105 by lkj509 »»
Feb 6, 5:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.