Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2020 2:50 PM
Jan 2020
I've seen a lot of popular/mainstream sad romance anime, so I was curious about some that were more underrated or under appreciated. Although if there are any that I havent seen that are mainstream I dont mind those suggestions either.

You can check my list for reference as well, but here are the ones I have already seen that fit my description:

Your Lie in April
A silent Voice
Your name
Plastic Memories
Hotarubi no mori e
Tamako Love Story
Blue Spring Ride
Darling in the Franxx
Angel Beats
Anohana
I want to eat your pancreas
Tsuki ga kirei
Anthem of the Heat
5 cm per second
Toradora
Clannad
Bunny Girl Senpai
Love is War
Sep 20, 2020 2:56 PM

Sep 2014
benn14_ said:
I've seen a lot of popular/mainstream sad romance anime, so I was curious about some that were more underrated or under appreciated. Although if there are any that I havent seen that are mainstream I dont mind those suggestions either.

You can check my list for reference as well, but here are the ones I have already seen that fit my description:

Your Lie in April
A silent Voice
Your name
Plastic Memories
Hotarubi no mori e
Tamako Love Story
Blue Spring Ride
Darling in the Franxx
Angel Beats
Anohana
I want to eat your pancreas
Tsuki ga kirei
Anthem of the Heat
5 cm per second
Toradora
Clannad
Bunny Girl Senpai
Love is War

The Legend of Condor Hero

Victorian Romance Emma

Hanasakeru Seishounen

Elemental Gelade

Kumo no You ni Kaze no You ni
Sep 20, 2020 3:03 PM
Dec 2017
umm nothing at all you have mentioned are underated and under appreciated like not at all in the slightest like you only been in the community that long and now you see them as underappreciated. 0_0
If you want something thats redisciple underappreciated try Dead Leaves.

Sep 20, 2020 3:04 PM
Oct 2019
Boarding School Juliet
Sep 20, 2020 3:35 PM

Sep 2020
Crow_Black said:
umm nothing at all you have mentioned are underated and under appreciated like not at all in the slightest like you only been in the community that long and now you see them as underappreciated. 0_0

I think he's asking for underrated suggestions and not calling the mentioned ones underappreciated/underrated.

As such, some of the more popular ones would be Akatsuki no Yona although you might find the element of romance a bit lacking in comparison to others, still a very good show imo, and personal favorite Golden Time, towards which I might be a bit too biased since it hits close to home (except for the amnesiac protagonist). There's also 5-toubun_no_Hanayome if you're willing to lean towards the harem genre and Akagami no Shirayuki-hime with plenty of wholesome moments and character growth but a little slow paced.

Feel free to dm me if you need more recommendations of the sort.
KeenPinnSep 20, 2020 3:47 PM
Sep 21, 2020 7:57 AM
Jan 2020
KeenPinn said:
Crow_Black said:

I think he's asking for underrated suggestions and not calling the mentioned ones underappreciated/underrated.

As such, some of the more popular ones would be Akatsuki no Yona although you might find the element of romance a bit lacking in comparison to others, still a very good show imo, and personal favorite Golden Time, towards which I might be a bit too biased since it hits close to home (except for the amnesiac protagonist). There's also 5-toubun_no_Hanayome if you're willing to lean towards the harem genre and Akagami no Shirayuki-hime with plenty of wholesome moments and character growth but a little slow paced.

Feel free to dm me if you need more recommendations of the sort.

Yeah, exactly. I was using the shows I mentioned as reference. Maybe I should have made it more clear, my bad.

I have actually seen Quintessential Quintuplets (maybe I should have listed it as well) and I really enjoyed it.
But thank you for the recommendations! Ill definitely look into the other ones you mentioned.
benji24Sep 21, 2020 8:02 AM
Sep 21, 2020 7:59 AM
Jul 2018
Tsuki ga kirei is gold. A real underrated romance anime.
Sep 21, 2020 8:01 AM
Jan 2020
Zuunen said:
Tsuki ga kirei is gold. A real underrated romance anime.

Sorry, Ive already seen it! Agreed though, very good and underrated.
Sep 26, 2020 7:10 AM
Oct 2018
Kanon 2006 (One of my favs)
Kimi ga nozomu eien
Golden Time
Koi Kaze
Bokura wa minna kawai sou
Ef: a tale of
Sep 26, 2020 7:21 AM

Feb 2014
Maison Ikkoku - Can get pretty frustrating at times, but the ending more than makes up for it.

Cross Game - Cross Game has better romance than most "regular" SoL romance anime I've watched. Especially if you want one with a childhood friend character winning (no, it's not a spoiler). Sure, it's a sports anime, but it's more like a slice of life anime with sports elements in it. The focus is always primarily on the relationships.

Spice and Wolf - Well, not really underrated but missing from your list.
Sep 26, 2020 7:32 AM

Feb 2018
I love EF tale melodies, it's really good but why do people stay away from it.
Sep 26, 2020 10:14 AM
Aug 2020
Yosuga no sora
Are you the only one who likes me
Sep 26, 2020 10:49 AM

Mar 2016
All anime romance sucks.

Sep 26, 2020 11:14 AM

May 2010
In terms of Western recognition? Definitely KOR since it was hard to license it back then

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1087/Kimagure_Orange%E2%98%86Road
Sep 26, 2020 11:46 AM

May 2012
Seconds for
Cross Game
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Nodame Cantabile isn't really underrated or under-appreciated, but it doesn't get much play these days. It comes from the peak anime year of 2007. Nodame is a veritable franchise in Japan with the original manga, an anime adaptation with two sequels, a live-action television adaptation, and live-action movies that cover the sequels.

It is also totally unavailable in the US through legal means. Siren released a version in Australia; can't find it being sold anywhere though. It also wouldn't likely play on Region 1 DVD players.

So you're on your own.

Saiunkoku Monogatari
The male lead Ryuuki is madly in love with Shurrei, but she has her own agenda to pursue.

Sep 26, 2020 11:51 AM

Sep 2014
Vhailor said:
Maison Ikkoku - Can get pretty frustrating at times, but the ending more than makes up for it.

Cross Game - Cross Game has better romance than most "regular" SoL romance anime I've watched. Especially if you want one with a childhood friend character winning (no, it's not a spoiler). Sure, it's a sports anime, but it's more like a slice of life anime with sports elements in it. The focus is always primarily on the relationships.

Spice and Wolf - Well, not really underrated but missing from your list.

Yea forgot to mention Maison Ikkokun the ending is pretty amazing.
Sep 26, 2020 11:54 AM

Sep 2014
SeijiSensei said:
Seconds for
Cross Game
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Nodame Cantabile isn't really underrated or under-appreciated, but it doesn't get much play these days. It comes from the peak anime year of 2007. Nodame is a veritable franchise in Japan with the original manga, an anime adaptation with two sequels, a live-action television adaptation, and live-action movies that cover the sequels.

It is also totally unavailable in the US through legal means. Siren released a version in Australia; can't find it being sold anywhere though. It also wouldn't likely play on Region 1 DVD players.

So you're on your own.

Saiunkoku Monogatari
The male lead Ryuuki is madly in love with Shurrei, but she has her own agenda to pursue.

Yea, but that's the thing, It's so one sided, can you really call it a romance anime(I just can't bring myself to do so)
Sep 26, 2020 2:44 PM
Apr 2020
A romance anime that I rarely see talked about and rarely find fans of is Kamisama Kiss! It's a really cute romantic comedy anime that I'd really recommend! It also has some supernatural elements.
Sep 26, 2020 8:03 PM

Aug 2018
Sola is a hidden gem for those of us who like stuff like Clannad:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1965/Sola

But yeah, like Clannad it's not exactly a romance.
Sep 27, 2020 7:52 AM

May 2012
Zoltor said:
Yea, but that's the thing, It's so one sided, can you really call it a romance anime(I just can't bring myself to do so)

Shurrei clearly has feelings for Ryuuki though not of the kind she felt later on with Sakajun.

I usually think twice about whether to recommend SaiMono as a "romance" for the same reasons you do. On the other hand, it's among my favorite series and not widely known, so I tend to suggest it more often than perhaps I should.
Sep 27, 2020 8:07 AM

Jul 2017
I can understand most of them, but are ones like Tamako Love Story and Anthem of the Heart really popular/mainstream though? Hardly hear anyone talk about them tbh

I agree with the Emma rec above, but ones that don't get talked a whole lot about are

Kobato.
Photokano (make sure you watch the BD version)
I've Always Liked You
Our love has always been 10 centimetres apart
Tada Never Falls in Love
Hello World
Ristorante Paradiso
From Up on Poppy Hill
Nande koko ni Sensei ga
Sep 27, 2020 8:11 AM

Jul 2020
O maidens in your savage season is a solid series
Sep 27, 2020 8:43 AM

Sep 2014
SeijiSensei said:
Zoltor said:

Shurrei clearly has feelings for Ryuuki though not of the kind she felt later on with Sakajun.

I usually think twice about whether to recommend SaiMono as a "romance" for the same reasons you do. On the other hand, it's among my favorite series and not widely known, so I tend to suggest it more often than perhaps I should.

One of my favorite anime as well, easily top 10, and omg my top 10 has some crazy competition.
Sep 27, 2020 1:39 PM

Aug 2016
Syureria said:
I love EF tale melodies, it's really good but why do people stay away from it.
I watched both seasons a couple of weeks ago, and I wouldn't say that this is something weeblets out here can take, I heard some people getting depressed over YLIA for 2 weeks or more, and now imagine if they watch EF rofl.
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあなたが選んだ兄弟です
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2静か先生88#7307
Sep 27, 2020 10:15 PM
May 2020
uta koi, it's not long and ecosystem's opening was a revelation
Sep 28, 2020 4:43 AM

Jul 2020
i'd suggest boarding school juliet. its a good one
Sep 30, 2020 6:57 PM
Apr 2016
- OREGAIRU.
LIKE WATCH IT RIGHT NOW.
- 3D kanojo
- Akagami no shirayuki hime

More topics from this board

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
8 minutes ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

5 by MeguSae38 »»
35 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

20 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 9 hours ago

3 by vasipi4946 »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

9 by AnimeDownUnder »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.