Forum Settings
Forums

Ever been mocked because of watching anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 23, 2020 7:20 PM

Jan 2008
Response from Romania: not really. In school, the worst I got was "That was kind of stupid.". But here, watching anime is OK. Absolutely no shame.
Aug 23, 2020 7:49 PM

Mar 2019
Nah i haven't been mocked I live in north england n I'm pr open about it ppl know i watch it so it's not rlly a big deal n ig i'm pr lucky tht there's a good amount of ppl tht ik tht watch anime n who i hang around with
Aug 23, 2020 7:52 PM

Dec 2019
thus far only friendly jokes by my friends, but I try to not let a lot of people know that I have watched some idol or fox maid anime, because even I think it is kinda strange for some 21 year old bearded guy to do so and then I'd surely be mocked
Aug 23, 2020 8:19 PM

May 2020
I've never been mocked for watching anime since I never tell anyone, but I'm sure if someone IRL knew that I watch anime they would mock me since I've been mocked for playing Nintendo games in school.
Aug 23, 2020 10:00 PM

Jul 2016
No because lots of guys think it's cute when girls like anime, even though they don't watch it themselves.
Aug 24, 2020 5:21 AM

Jan 2020
Yes I have been before, mainly because my friends don't understand and just think it's hentai and stuff and that's all anime is when it's MUCH more than tits and ass.
Aug 24, 2020 5:24 AM

Jul 2020
I always tell everyone that I like watching anime whenever I need to introduce myself I always say that I love watching anime.

Aug 24, 2020 5:36 AM
Aug 2018
Yes, but I didn't really care so they stopped lol
Aug 24, 2020 5:37 AM

Apr 2013
Surprisingly not, even though I'm quite open about it.
Aug 24, 2020 5:39 AM
Aug 2018
ssighless said:
Yes I have been before, mainly because my friends don't understand and just think it's hentai and stuff and that's all anime is when it's MUCH more than tits and ass.

Some of my friends are like that, too...
Aug 24, 2020 6:08 AM
Jul 2018
Nah, everyone my age grew up with anime on TV. It's still very popular here, and I'm not going to talk with old people about it.
Aug 24, 2020 7:30 AM
Dec 2019
Yes.I've been called a pervert by some people because they thought anime was inappropriate and that was like idk a few years ago?Oh well,now most people like anime so i bet the mocking decrease a bit.
Aug 24, 2020 7:46 AM
Jul 2019
It's not really mocking, it's just people reminding me that I watch something similar to cartoons so I wasn't really offended by that.
Aug 24, 2020 8:02 AM

May 2019
JASHINRYUU said:
my country currently is on bad terms with china, so my mom who doesnt know that ANIME is actually Japanese, tends to taunt me saying why you are watching chinese serials, they will corrupt ur mind and all.

Bharat right?

Hey, you could explain to her that Anime is japanese, historical enemy of China, and this way she would not only approve but supports you.

And then, since she does not have a clue, you could watch Donghua.

In special the overly repetitive xianxia genre that actually will corrupt your mind.

Aug 24, 2020 8:09 AM

Oct 2017
I probably have, but never heard them because they were discussed behind my back.
Aug 24, 2020 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
ive never been mocked for liking anime but some people ive known thought that it was kinda weird
Aug 24, 2020 12:03 PM
Jul 2018
when I was younger I tried to tell my friends about digimon,FREAKING DIGIMON,and they made fun of me.That's why we don't talk anymore.
Aug 24, 2020 12:09 PM
May 2018
Rob7 said:
JASHINRYUU said:
my country currently is on bad terms with china, so my mom who doesnt know that ANIME is actually Japanese, tends to taunt me saying why you are watching chinese serials, they will corrupt ur mind and all.

Bharat right?

Hey, you could explain to her that Anime is japanese, historical enemy of China, and this way she would not only approve but supports you.

And then, since she does not have a clue, you could watch Donghua.

In special the overly repetitive xianxia genre that actually will corrupt your mind.

i have tried explaining that to her but anything kanji or asian face is compared with chinese.
Moreover thnx for the chinese anime recommendation but i dont wanna watch them just bcs even i m a nationalist.
#BOYCOTTCHINA
Aug 24, 2020 12:10 PM

Mar 2020
Yes! In fact I got beat down once because I said that my waifu is Rem. They must've been Emilia stans.
Aug 24, 2020 3:41 PM

Oct 2013
My older brother and younger sister always made fun of me because I watch anime... Now years after those times both of them like anime and they ask me for recommendations, I control their future
/* FALLING SNOW */
.list-container:after {
position: fixed;
left: 0;
top: 0;
content: '';
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
background-image: url(https://i.imgur.com/uVN2Nk8.png),
url(https://i.imgur.com/3d7VHiA.png),
url(https://i.imgur.com/s0pY1pb.png);
animation: SNOW 20s linear infinite;
z-index: 10000;
pointer-events: none !important;
}

@keyframes SNOW {
0% { background-position: 0 0, 0 0, 0 0; }
100% { background-position: 500px 1000px, 400px 400px, 300px 300px; }
}
Aug 24, 2020 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
In real life? No. Then again, people in real life are a lot less confrontational, and anime's becoming more accepted.

Online? Certainly. Specifically in comments sections of hip hop videos.

gonzaar said:
My older brother and younger sister always made fun of me because I watch anime... Now years after those times both of them like anime and they ask me for recommendations, I control their future

Lol! The irony. I'm not trying to mock anyone; I just think it's funny how things changed.
Aug 24, 2020 3:54 PM

Jan 2008
Yeah but only online. Lot of youtube comment sections will have people who like to shit on anyone with an anime related profile picture.
๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ฐ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ. ๐˜ˆ ๐˜ค๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ด. ๐˜๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฌ.
Aug 24, 2020 4:11 PM

Sep 2019
Ciezul said:
Just wondering about this question since lots of people are getting backlash because of watching '' CARTOONS ''.

Yes, they kept on pointing this as "CARTOONS" and say that "CARTOONS" are for kids.

Well, I really don't care if they mocked me or not. But if they mocked my favorite anime or character, then ...

"You don't become friends because you decide to, it just happens." - Okita Sougo
ANIME LIST || MANGA LIST

Aug 24, 2020 4:22 PM

Apr 2019
sort of, when someone asks me if I'm watching anime I always answer honestly.
the reaction is mostly "What... that is kid stuff" or "Why???". I understand where they are coming from.
I used to not like anime either but over some time I got used to it and before I knew it, I was watching it.

People may see me different when they know I'm watching anime but ehhh, I'm still me ¯\_(ใƒ„)_/¯
:)
Aug 24, 2020 8:35 PM
Jul 2018
anime is the least embarrassing about me so i dont care
Aug 26, 2020 3:39 AM

Jun 2016
Only jokingly. And now they watch anime
Aug 26, 2020 8:09 AM
Jun 2017
goldenskinmaster said:
I got called a weeb even before I became a weeb, bc I liked things that were close to anime like Nintendo games and Doki Doki Lit Club
I think i was in a quite similar situation like you. Back when i was primary school, i was really into pokemon games (emerald and platinum). Words like "weebs" pretty much haven't existed or popular back then, but i was being called a loser all the fucking time because i like nintendo games and then now A LOT OF PEOPLE LOVE NINTENDO SWITCH and i like playstation games more than nintendo games these days.

For anime, i got mocked by my surroundings a year after i got really into anime. That time mocking people weebs is a quite popular thing to do. They got that disgusted face when they knew i'm into anime, thinking that anime fans are degenerate and needs to get a life. I'm actually do "normal" things like socializing, listening to western music, hangout with friends, etc. But just because they learned that i'm into anime they think i'm just a shut-in who had no life. These days mocking anime fans as weebs isn't really popular. I'm glad that trend is over.
PitunovAug 26, 2020 8:18 AM
Aug 26, 2020 1:15 PM

Aug 2017
Kinda but not seriously as an adult, kids mock everything "not cool" so i'll count that out. Luckily i'm a chad of an completely another level and ready to have an duel to death, if someone mocks my top rated animes.
Aug 26, 2020 1:38 PM

Jun 2016
At first my friends didn't know I was watching it, but they knew another dude was watching anime and mocked him, called him weird while talking to me about it. It was like it was meant for me and made me mortified, even though they were talking about him and didn't have a clue that I was watching it.

It was actually the reason why I stopped watching anime for like a year or two, and started thinking it was weird watching it, but here we are now lol

idgaf now, everybody be watching it right now, even those who mocked it, so what they gonna do?
Why should I entertain someone else's negative opinion of something I enjoy?
Dingus_CatAug 26, 2020 1:42 PM
"I don't care if no one likes me. I wasn't created in this world to entertain everyone"- Oreki Houtarou
Aug 26, 2020 1:47 PM

Apr 2017
No, actually never.
Both my classmates and my parents either dont give a fuck or actually like them.
Aug 26, 2020 2:17 PM

Feb 2010
yes but it seems to be happening less and less as anime becomes more and more common in the west. only really happened during high school not that i payed it much mind.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

70 by MichaelJackson »»
9 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

16 by cyandaqil »»
13 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

8 by tchitchouan »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

21 by luckyrune »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

31 by 707supremacist »»
22 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.