Forum Settings
Forums
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2020 6:06 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
What a trio of volumes this was, kinda funny the writer did say on the afterwords for vol9 that he disliked doing a story that didn't end with a single volume (even if he had to dramatically increase the number of pages), yet it took 3 volumes to cover this introduction, this idea he had for the Xenos.
And I couldn't be more glad about this decision of his.

The last few chapters of volume 10 were about consequences of your actions, coming to terms and be called a fool even, the fall from a hero, YET, doing what you felt it was right, and for Bell that was protecting Wiene and the rest of the Xenos... last volume later chapters were brilliant and dire, and I m was ready to sink my eyes on the next volume, to see the outcome and I was not disappointed.
I don't think Finn was a jerk, he was doing what he believed, for his fame and familia (and he actually is slowing changing behind the scenes, if you have checked Sword Orotaria vol.10), if anything only Hermes fits such description and I will never be trusting on that character ever again.

Making plans to deliver the Xenos back to the Dungeon may have some slower moments, but I really was invested in seeing how the world around Bell's, shaping from his decisions.
Everyone was on edge, it was also nice to see Fels development from the last volume to this one, considering how he was in volume 9, I would say he made some huge progress here.

And Freya... it is hard not to like her, even if I know this likeness may turn to hate someday, it was due to her, that the worst outcome was avoided and Bell was able to come out of the situation with both his life, reputation and its goal achieved.
Asterius was awesome... I already knew who he was from his mentioning early on vol 9 I think, and damm, that fight was AMAZING, it was long, it was just as good and dire as the one from volume 3 but properly scaled to the current status quo.
It was a very meaningful way to make good use of volume 3, really just the most fitting rival to Bell and just played damm well with the whole Xenos thing.

He was also not at the peak of his capacity yet he didn't care and gave it is all, and won... and spared Bell, considering it a tie, to make for volume 3, what a brave soul, I think he was a bit too OP, considering less than 5 months have passed, yet he grew so much, to the point of overpowering all Loki Familia like that, that felt a bit too unbelievable that just a few months on the deep zone (aka dungeon level 37 or lower), would do that, but I do think he probably also faced a fate of fighting to the death to get stronger there, dying and being reborn again and again, getting stronger and growing his will more and more with each reincarnation, to fight what he considered the strongest and most worth opponent, his dream's.
Hell of a fight, I m hopeful that if the adaptation fucks, for the most part, they will at least be forced to do as good as a job with this fight, as they did with vol3.

But the most impactful scenes for me where obviously Bell and Wiene facing Aiz.
You can point the reveal of Xenos and Bell's parting with Wiene as the highlight of vol9, Bell protecting Wiene, and seeing her fall to ashes was the highlight of vol10... the fight with Asterius was one, the resolution of Wiene and Bell against Aiz was the other.

Seeing the extent to which Wiene was ready to go to be able to live with Bell, the same for Bell, it was for me, at least for now, the warranted emotional conclusion his story with Wiene deserve to take, after all, being able to live along with the Xenos, defeating Asterius and catching up to Aiz are things that will take quite a long time, the writer has to move on, and I was happy, sad but fulfilled by such a conclusion, again Aiz's side with SO vol10 goes in more detail about her, but I really won't be forgetting Wiene at all, tremendous development achieved in these 3 volumes, and that promise between her, Bell and Haruhime gave me hope I will be able to see it one day as well.

Epilogue with Aiz was a great read too, "And So I Start to Run Again".
By the point I m writing this, I have already finished vol12 and in the middle of vol13, Bell's resolution along with Aiz was sweet... his grown after this arc so damm great, and it was nice to see him reach this answer.
He will get stronger, and he will fulfill his promise and reach out towards his goals.
This has become quite a journey with these last 3 volumes, and I really like enjoying the consequences this arc brought, shaping the whole Oratio to a much brighter future of cooperation and union with the Xenos.
Nov 21, 2020 12:12 PM

May 2020
The scale of the action and strategy involved in the Xeno's escape plan was a delight. I loved how the author showcased the importance of communication and the art of misinformation! It made this part of the story so much more realistic!

I definitely agree with you, @Playcool, that Finn is not in the wrong. He is thinking about the town and his familia first, which as a leader is what he should be doing.

Mmmh, yes the Bell vs. Aiz scenes in this volume were fantastic. The initial humor was great when all of the girls met up with Bell and all Bell was thinking was "don't misunderstand, Aiz!". I love the light-heartedness that is mixed in with the seriousness to keep it to a fine balance. When Wiene showed up and torn off her nails and wings and showed Aiz she was willing to die for Bell, it was a truly powerful moment. It also showed Aiz's fundamental philosophy of all monsters are to be killed being shattered.

The Haruhime standoff against Bete was also very nice. My respect for Haruhime has grown, same with Aisha and Lyu.

And in terms of the gods, specifically Hermes and Freya, I honestly love them as plot devices. Sure, it's not the greatest writing to use plot devices like them, but it allows Bell to grow so much faster under their "guidance" / interference. Finally, Bell fighting Asterios was just hella epic. I mean wow. Somehow it topped the epicness of their first match (which is when I fell in love with this series). The crows cheering, the orphanage kids rooting for him, ugh, it was beautiful.

But what made it even more powerful was that Bell lost. The author could have easily taken the Bell defeats the nearly dead Asterios and called it a day, but he didn't. By having Bell lose, truly experiencing the bitterness of defeat, and having that become a new catalyst that surpassed the initial desire of his chasing after Ais was significant. When Bell brow down in tears, all I could think is this is great character development. This is where Bell has undergone his second evolution, the first being the first minotaur fight. Wonder if he leveled up from this, haha!
I say goodbye unto you,
And with this parting,
My most beautiful dream dies inside me...
But I tell you goodbye,
For the rest of life,
Even if I spend all life thinking about you.
Apr 20, 2021 8:27 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Intense arc this one. I must admit I found the change of tone a bit jarring at first, but after a while I realized that this was not turning into grimdark for darkness sake but to really develop Bell and make him grow. His defeat at the hand of Asterios was so well written.
His fight and the dialogue with Aiz was gripping stuff. Never expected those two to communicate with such earnestness and intensity. Finally they seem to take a step up from their innocent exchanges of the past.
At one point Freya will want her payback for this and it won't be pretty for Hestia familia.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 18 Discussion

NaughtySempai - Apr 3, 2023

2 by skyhei1995 »»
Apr 20, 2:28 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka Volume 2 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Sep 1, 2014

3 by Phaetons_Folly »»
Feb 22, 8:28 AM

» How many more volumes?

RealityChanges - Aug 13, 2023

1 by majin_mark505 »»
Aug 13, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 17 Discussion

Syureria - Jul 7, 2021

2 by NaughtySempai »»
Mar 15, 2023 12:38 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Volume 16 Discussion

Zaphkiel_El_Rem - Sep 15, 2021

1 by Playcool »»
Aug 17, 2022 4:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.