Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think of public displays of affection?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 31, 2020 10:03 PM
Jul 2018
I don't understand why people don't understand that there are certain things that you don't do in public. I don't understand why people constantly make dumb justifications for their behavior.
It's called following common sense.

Holding hands in public in America is perfectly normal. Maybe even hugging. But kissing? Come on. Why do you need to announce to the whole world your relationship with someone?

It's similar why I think it's stupid to wear a political piece of clothing in public; nobody wants to, or even cares to know, about you, a complete stranger's, political stance.
Aug 1, 2020 11:42 PM
Jul 2018
AbsurdTurk said:
I don't understand why people don't understand that there are certain things that you don't do in public. I don't understand why people constantly make dumb justifications for their behavior.
It's called following common sense.

Holding hands in public in America is perfectly normal. Maybe even hugging. But kissing? Come on. Why do you need to announce to the whole world your relationship with someone?

It's similar why I think it's stupid to wear a political piece of clothing in public; nobody wants to, or even cares to know, about you, a complete stranger's, political stance.

Maybe they don't do it to announce their relationship? Maybe they just felt like doing it in this moment, so they kissed their partner?

Your post sounds like: "Stop being human as a human being in public! Go and simp to society's ridiculous morals."
... which never exist anymore. Nobody baits an eye anyway. If you wanna seeputraged people over a simple kiss, you maybe need a time machine to go back to victorian era or something? Or try that in some arab countries, which might not end well tho.
Aug 2, 2020 7:35 AM
Jul 2018
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Maybe they don't do it to announce their relationship? Maybe they just felt like doing it in this moment, so they kissed their partner?

I don't care about their intentions; I don't want to see someone just announce their relationship in public, when I don't know them. The same way how I don't want to see people wear a political article of clothing, because I don't care to see a complete stranger announce their political views.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Your post sounds like: "Stop being human as a human being in public! Go and simp to society's ridiculous morals."

It's not about "being human," it's about having common sense. You can still be human while pertaining to basic morals.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:
... which never exist anymore.

I've noticed that in public, the weirdest people I see: the ones who smooch like they have never kissed before, the ones who scream and yell...are all very young people.
Why is it that I don't see people who are, say, in their 30s and above behave this way?
You are making excuses to justify behavior that I think you know is not right. It's called having etiquette. The same way how I wouldn't eat chicken with my hands, if I had a girlfriend, I wouldn't kiss her in public.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Nobody baits an eye anyway.

That's a huge generalization. In fact, it's the opposite: many people are uncomfortable with it:
http://thecampuschronicleasu.com/is-public-displays-of-affection-acceptable/
So my question to you is: why should people go out of their way to make other people uncomfortable? Why shouldn't they calm their hormones for a more private area? I'm not telling anyone not to show affection for their partner: I'm just saying they should hold their hormones for a different time, different place.
Aug 2, 2020 8:19 AM
Aug 2018
I don’t like seeing that shit, but it’s not like I want there to be a law against it.

Aug 8, 2020 10:42 PM

Sep 2007
This thread is more awkward then that time I hugged a giant hot dog.

https://youtu.be/Wp8HFN4HC9I?t=81

Aug 9, 2020 12:07 AM

Mar 2019
Lol at people thinking that couples are doing PDA to announce their relationship to other people.

Sometimes you just think the girl you're with is really cute and you can't get enough of her.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2020 10:40 AM

Feb 2019
It's cute to a certain level. Holding hands, hugging, and a peek on the cheek or lips are fine. But more than that they can keep for themselves because it can be, and is, uncomfortable,,
Aug 11, 2020 11:39 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Let them love! ain't nothing wrong with that. Makes me happy to see.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2020 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
AbsurdTurk said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

I don't care about their intentions; I don't want to see someone just announce their relationship in public, when I don't know them. The same way how I don't want to see people wear a political article of clothing, because I don't care to see a complete stranger announce their political views.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:

It's not about "being human," it's about having common sense. You can still be human while pertaining to basic morals.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:
... which never exist anymore.

I've noticed that in public, the weirdest people I see: the ones who smooch like they have never kissed before, the ones who scream and yell...are all very young people.
Why is it that I don't see people who are, say, in their 30s and above behave this way?
You are making excuses to justify behavior that I think you know is not right. It's called having etiquette. The same way how I wouldn't eat chicken with my hands, if I had a girlfriend, I wouldn't kiss her in public.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Nobody baits an eye anyway.

That's a huge generalization. In fact, it's the opposite: many people are uncomfortable with it:
So my question to you is: why should people go out of their way to make other people uncomfortable? Why shouldn't they calm their hormones for a more private area? I'm not telling anyone not to show affection for their partner: I'm just saying they should hold their hormones for a different time, different place.

But that's an american thing.
Even many older people don't bait an eye, when you show affection to your partner or anyone in general, in a way that doesn't include almost having sex on the streets.

If something so simple and human like a normal display of affection makes people uncomfortable, then sorry, but that's their problem and it shows that they are people, who are maybe blindly following certain norms they learned once and never developed their views on certain things on their own.

Your article btw:
Such displays of affection can set a bad example for children and make others feel uncomfortable.

I think it's a great example for children, since it shows them the normality and feel-good sides of relationships (and friendships that are touchy-feely with each other). I also cuddled sometimes with female and male friends in public like placed my head on their shoulders in the train, long hugs, holding hands etc.

Back then, like decades ago, parents even didn't kiss in their private area in front of their children and all such stuff made newer generations, who are uncomfortable with their emotional and physical needs, until it slowly changes.
And there is an Austrian saying in dialect, at least with younger generations, I don't know how to translate if correctly, when there is a dispute or you want to point out in a funny way that there is too much dispute in the world, like (rough translation): "People should smooch and cuddle more." And who am I to disagree? ^^
removed-userAug 12, 2020 5:45 AM
Aug 12, 2020 5:25 AM

Mar 2018
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
AbsurdTurk said:

But that's an american thing.
Even many older people don't bait an eye, when you show affection to your partner or anyone in general, in a way that doesn't include almost having sex on the streets.
If something so simple and human like a normal display of affection makes people uncomfortable, then sorry, but that's their problem and it shows that they are people, who are maybe blindly following certain norms they learned once and never developed their views on certain things on their own.
That goes both ways and you very well know it.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Aug 12, 2020 6:40 AM

Nov 2013
If it's an ugly couple I feel disgust, but if it's a cute one it reminds me of the sad reality that I'm still single.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Aug 12, 2020 6:49 AM

Jul 2014
It depends. In most instances, I couldn't care less but there are times and places where it's entirely inappropriate. For example, if you're sucking your partner's face and groping them at a funeral I'm gonna judge you pretty hard.
Take care of yourself

Aug 12, 2020 10:06 AM
Jul 2018
I usually break into ungodly amounts of rage whenever I see a couple as much as holding hands in public
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 4 hours ago

8 by Maou_heika »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

19 by Eziprez »»
10 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

39 by ProGoddess »»
43 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

25 by KitsuFrost »»
1 hour ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 10 hours ago

5 by Zettaiken »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.