Forum Settings
Forums

Kimetsu no Yaiba now has total 34,128,478 copies sold this year and its close to beating the 1 year sales record of One Piece that is 37,996,373 copies sold

New
Apr 1, 2020 12:17 AM

Jan 2009
there is still *34 weeks remaining in Oricon year 2020

damn lol will it reach 50,000,000 sales this year?

source https://twitter.com/TwtOtaku_My/status/1245207469397172224
Apr 1, 2020 12:21 AM

Jul 2017
never watched it, might someone explain to me the unprecedented popularity of what it looks like to me a normal anime with the same ever so wacky character tropes in it
Apr 1, 2020 12:25 AM

Jan 2009
Tangerine said:
never watched it, might someone explain to me the unprecedented popularity of what it looks like to me a normal anime with the same ever so wacky character tropes in it

this is the manga though and from the looks of it Japan loves simple and not too complex story telling anyway plus im a manga reader and every battle with the demons looks so hopeless lol like they barely win and some of them really die (no plot armor like other battle shonens)

Samurai 8 manga meanwhile flopped so hard (even though its the new manga of Naruto author) for being too complex or the story telling and exposition is too technical
Apr 1, 2020 12:30 AM

Jul 2017
deg said:
Tangerine said:

this is the manga though and from the looks of it Japan loves simple and not too complex story telling anyway plus im a manga reader and every battle with the demons looks so hopeless lol like they barely win and some of them really die (no plot armor like other battle shonens)

Samurai 8 manga meanwhile flopped so hard (even though its the new manga of Naruto author) for being too complex or the story telling and exposition is too technical

even if it's the manga, the whole no plot armor thing must've been done before, same with the simple plotlines.
besides, dont the japanese love the opposite of that? the protag winning every time with some difficulty but "grows and learns"
i guess it's just pure luck and coincidence then, lucky bastards
Apr 1, 2020 12:45 AM

Jan 2009
Tangerine said:
deg said:

even if it's the manga, the whole no plot armor thing must've been done before, same with the simple plotlines.
besides, dont the japanese love the opposite of that? the protag winning every time with some difficulty but "grows and learns"
i guess it's just pure luck and coincidence then, lucky bastards

i got a feeling those simple plot manga with no plot armor sold well too but i cannot point out other manga like that at the moment besides another battle shonen that is Attack on Titan (although it has more complex plot for sure)

as for the protag always winning its different here for Tanjiro like he does not make the final blow always and at times the supporting characters do more damage than him

EDIT:

oh ye for simple plot manga then just the obvious popular battle shonens like Dragonball, My Hero Academia, Naruto, Bleach, etc
degApr 1, 2020 1:09 AM
Apr 1, 2020 12:54 AM

Jan 2010
The popularity is growing pretty rapidly indeed.
Based on the amount of artwork on pixiv, KnY also getting closer to One Piece in such a short time.

For reference:

KnY 123k works
One Piece 151k works
BnHA 72k works
AoT 147k works

I think best part of KnY is how the author can make audience invested in the characters and so the emotional impact is strong. I only watched the anime, but I can tell the author is good at making interesting interaction between the characters. Not to mention I think the character design is pretty memorable too. So far I'm interested in Shinobu, Sanemi, Genya and the snake pillar.

It's a really great arrange of characters imo. Especially the pillars.
Each and every one of them, even though they might start as like only characters with a gimmick each, you can tell they are all unique and will have interesting background already in store for them. And the author totally know what kind of character dynamic is popular/ppl loved.

And also gap moe or contrast in characters. A lot of characters has it.
Genya, looks like a delinquent and angry boy, but actually the softest. Same with Sanemi.
Shinobu, seemingly all sweet, kind, mischievous, graceful, but actually hiding vengeful and burning anger inside. Also poison and doctor thing is also great contrast.
Giyuu, a cool and cold character, but is also socially awkward.
Inosuke, seems super manly, but has a pretty face.
Nezuko, a demon, but sometimes acts cute and is originally a sweet little sister.
Just to name a few.

Gap moe or stark contrast always works and is popular trope, imo.
CrimsonMidnightApr 1, 2020 1:04 AM
Apr 1, 2020 12:57 AM

Oct 2013
That is really impressive hats off to it. It will surely beat one piece record could be heading 50 million.

I think it is a waste to talk about quality there is no real 100% formula that can get a series popular, there is various factor.
Apr 1, 2020 3:07 AM
Jan 2020
I only care about total sales. KNY will need more than 100 million copies of sales to scale in length to match the OP. And that is almost certainly not going to happen. Sales of the year higher than the OP does not mean anything. And did you forget that 2020 sales make up the majority of KNY's total sales?
AntiOverrattedApr 1, 2020 3:28 AM
Apr 1, 2020 4:50 AM

Sep 2017
Probably cuz everyone loved Ufotable's Unliimited Budget Works adaptation and they were attracter to the "cute" characters and now every KNY volumes sells a lot in Japan. Before the anime adaptation it was selling like 1.4M in a year : https://twitter.com/iceemperor_mh/status/1068621203789791232 and then it boomed after the Anime , it's an average good shounen manga with an astounding anime . It's still good but not better than any other mainstream shounens like MHA for example.
yikes
Apr 1, 2020 5:53 AM

Jul 2012
I really like that it's selling well, Kimetsu is really good stuff. I don't like that people are always using this as an "argument" to say it's better than something else all around the internet tho.

Especially when the anime is clearly the superior product compared to the manga (lots of nice adaptation expansions and overall espectacular eye candy and sound directing), and that a lot of people with who I talked saying stuff like this never even read the manga in the first place.

If things continue like this, this series will start getting a lot of undeserved hate very quick just like what happened to BNHA, and I would prefer that not to happen again.
Apr 1, 2020 7:33 AM
Oct 2019
From the reprint schedule, today and tomorrow, KNY will receive more reprint copies for volume 1-19. Then on April 22-23, another reprint patch will arrive, too. I guess that Shueisha wants to boost the sales as much as possible before the series ends.

I am really happy for the success of KNY. I strongly believe that it can surpass 40 million copies this year. Unfortunately, Oricon has only started to survey manga sales since 2008 so there was no data before that year.

If KNY can reach the milestone 50 million sold copies in one fiscal year, I am sure that the series will ensure a permanent spot in top 10 manga sales of one year for many years later.

Although the anime contributes to the sales of KNY, the story is amazing itself. Many manga have their own anime series and live action movies (MHA, TPN, Dr. Stone, AoT) but their sales have not changed much or threatened OP's position.
ElvarthApr 1, 2020 7:38 AM
Apr 1, 2020 4:13 PM

Mar 2018
I really don't like the manga that much but I have to admit that's really impressive. Up until the end of last year the sales we're really bad, it is crazy how much a good anime adaptation can do to a series.

Because oricon only started measuring manga sales like 12 years ago I don't think that this is really the yearly sales record for manga, I assume the record belongs to Dragon ball because it has the highest per volume sales and in the late 80’s it was by far the biggest manga around but I don't know really.
But no matter I'm sure KnY is at least extremely close to record sales.
Apr 1, 2020 6:44 PM

Dec 2014
People probably buying it to use as toilet paper.
Apr 1, 2020 7:51 PM

Oct 2013
Elvarth said:
From the reprint schedule, today and tomorrow, KNY will receive more reprint copies for volume 1-19. Then on April 22-23, another reprint patch will arrive, too. I guess that Shueisha wants to boost the sales as much as possible before the series ends.

I am really happy for the success of KNY. I strongly believe that it can surpass 40 million copies this year. Unfortunately, Oricon has only started to survey manga sales since 2008 so there was no data before that year.

If KNY can reach the milestone 50 million sold copies in one fiscal year, I am sure that the series will ensure a permanent spot in top 10 manga sales of one year for many years later.

Although the anime contributes to the sales of KNY, the story is amazing itself. Many manga have their own anime series and live action movies (MHA, TPN, Dr. Stone, AoT) but their sales have not changed much or threatened OP's position.

Snk is a whole different series than those you list a long side it and yes snk did threatened op position a few times, even loosing by a 100k in 2014, but unfortunately it just didn't have enough to beat op, one reason is that it had like 11 to 14 volumes at the time, if it had a few more volume in 2014 it would have beaten it.

But that is the past.

MASTERLYNX said:
I really don't like the manga that much but I have to admit that's really impressive. Up until the end of last year the sales we're really bad, it is crazy how much a good anime adaptation can do to a series.

Because oricon only started measuring manga sales like 12 years ago I don't think that this is really the yearly sales record for manga, I assume the record belongs to Dragon ball because it has the highest per volume sales and in the late 80’s it was by far the biggest manga around but I don't know really.

We are working with facts here not assumption. If you don't have facts keep it to yourself.

Also one piece is only behind I believe batman when it comes to best selling comic of all time, Sales were being recorded way before oricon, but just not in a yearly basis like them. The fact that one piece is the second best selling book of all time speaks volume and suggest it sells better than dragon ball, which would suggest Kimetsu is going to be the best selling yearly series for beating one piece.
keragammingApr 1, 2020 7:56 PM
Apr 2, 2020 6:14 AM

Mar 2018
keragamming said:
Elvarth said:

Snk is a whole different series than those you list a long side it and yes snk did threatened op position a few times, even loosing by a 100k in 2014, but unfortunately it just didn't have enough to beat op, one reason is that it had like 11 to 14 volumes at the time, if it had a few more volume in 2014 it would have beaten it.

But that is the past.

MASTERLYNX said:

We are working with facts here not assumption. If you don't have facts keep it to yourself.

Also one piece is only behind I believe batman when it comes to best selling comic of all time, Sales were being recorded way before oricon, but just not in a yearly basis like them. The fact that one piece is the second best selling book of all time speaks volume and suggest it sells better than dragon ball, which would suggest Kimetsu is going to be the best selling yearly series for beating one piece.

I meant that DB has sold more single volumes because it has less than half the amount of volumes OP has but has sold only around 150 mil Less than OP which means that each volume has sold more. And we don't know manga sales per year from before 2008 so it makes sense to assume that there could be a different record from before that. And as I said I don't know I only assume and I'm allowed to do that I'm not giving out any misinformation if I state that it's only an assumption and I don't see what's wrong with that.
Apr 2, 2020 8:04 AM

May 2018
Maybe it is worth giving this show a try... im not keen on manga in general but I watch about two episodes of the series before I dropped it. Not only did I find it boring but it just felt like any other shounen anime... but if its this popular it could be for a reason. Not only that but I do need something to watch during quarantine... ehhh i'll see if I can be bothered.
Apr 2, 2020 10:21 AM

Oct 2013
MASTERLYNX said:
keragamming said:

But that is the past.

I meant that DB has sold more single volumes because it has less than half the amount of volumes OP has but has sold only around 150 mil Less than OP which means that each volume has sold more. And we don't know manga sales per year from before 2008 so it makes sense to assume that there could be a different record from before that. And as I said I don't know I only assume and I'm allowed to do that I'm not giving out any misinformation if I state that it's only an assumption and I don't see what's wrong with that.

Keep in mind that it includes worldwide sales and not just sales in Japan.
Apr 5, 2020 12:58 AM

Jun 2016
Very impressive I am proud series is really good. I love it red light district arc and infinity fotress arc were peak of series.

Apr 5, 2020 6:30 PM

Mar 2015
AntiOverratted said:
I only care about total sales. KNY will need more than 100 million copies of sales to scale in length to match the OP. And that is almost certainly not going to happen. Sales of the year higher than the OP does not mean anything. And did you forget that 2020 sales make up the majority of KNY's total sales?

it's just waiting for time to break OP yearly record. and KNY is way shorter than OP. it also already surpass OP in per volume sales in chart.

ItachiDxD said:
Probably cuz everyone loved Ufotable's Unliimited Budget Works adaptation and they were attracter to the "cute" characters and now every KNY volumes sells a lot in Japan. Before the anime adaptation it was selling like 1.4M in a year : https://twitter.com/iceemperor_mh/status/1068621203789791232 and then it boomed after the Anime , it's an average good shounen manga with an astounding anime . It's still good but not better than any other mainstream shounens like MHA for example.
got animation didn't made people buy manga. manga didn't have animation.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 5, 2020 9:07 PM
Jan 2020
Kuma said:
AntiOverratted said:

it's just waiting for time to break OP yearly record. and KNY is way shorter than OP. it also already surpass OP in per volume sales in chart.

ItachiDxD said:

Please read my post carefully. KNY surpassed OP's annual sales by putting more volumes into it, and considering the length just a little more than KNY, AOT had more than 100 million copies since a long time ago .OP now has 96 vol with 470 million copies. That is, KNY will need a total sales of more than 100 million copies to equal the average rate with OP. And I'm pretty sure that won't happen. Do you understand ?
Apr 5, 2020 9:17 PM

Mar 2015
AntiOverratted said:
Kuma said:

Please read my post carefully. KNY surpassed OP's annual sales by putting more volumes into it, and considering the length just a little more than KNY, AOT had more than 100 million copies since a long time ago .OP now has 96 vol with 470 million copies. That is, KNY will need a total sales of more than 100 million copies to equal the average rate with OP. And I'm pretty sure that won't happen. Do you understand ?
you don't even understand circulation and sales.

what do you mean putting more volume? KNY is at 19 volume, AOT is at 32 volume. KNY vol 19 sold 1.9 million, OP vol 95 sold 1.7 million. OP record is 38 million in a year, KnY already reach 34 million 34 weeks left before a year. that's all there is to it.
KumaApr 5, 2020 9:20 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 5, 2020 10:36 PM
Jan 2020
Kuma said:
AntiOverratted said:

what do you mean putting more volume? KNY is at 19 volume, AOT is at 32 volume. KNY vol 19 sold 1.9 million, OP vol 95 sold 1.7 million. OP record is 38 million in a year, KnY already reach 34 million 34 weeks left before a year. that's all there is to it.

And you forgot that KNY's sales only exploded after the anime when it had more than 17 volts and the OP's one-year sales were mostly 4 new volumes? By the way, KNY is now longer than 1/5 OP, which 1 / 5 OP total sales now 94 million copies. And I'm pretty sure the total sales of KNY at the end will not be able to surpass 94 million copies even though it is in the hottest period, not ups and downs for 20 years but still as high as the top of the top like OP. I respect the success of KNY, so everyone please don't compare it to OP because it only lowers that success.
Apr 5, 2020 10:39 PM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
AntiOverratted said:

Just a slight correction snk currently has 30 volumes, with volume 31 to be release in a few days from now.
Apr 6, 2020 1:20 AM

Sep 2017
Kuma said:
AntiOverratted said:

ItachiDxD said:

So you really think if Kny would have had an average adaptation like for nanatsu no taizai the manga sales would still have exploded? People bought the mangas because they got hyped up by the anime and didn't want ti wait for more than a year to go through the story. If the anime was average people would have just wait for the rest in anime form even tho the quality of the manga stays the same , you'd be surprised by how animation quality influences manga hype.
yikes
Apr 6, 2020 1:30 AM

Mar 2015
@keragamming thank for heads up, yeah sorry, mistaken for scanlation estimation, not sales. sorry.

AntiOverratted said:
Kuma said:

And you forgot that KNY's sales only exploded after the anime when it had more than 17 volts and the OP's one-year sales were mostly 4 new volumes? By the way, KNY is now longer than 1/5 OP, which 1 / 5 OP total sales now 94 million copies. And I'm pretty sure the total sales of KNY at the end will not be able to surpass 94 million copies even though it is in the hottest period, not ups and downs for 20 years but still as high as the top of the top like OP. I respect the success of KNY, so everyone please don't compare it to OP because it only lowers that success.

so what's the difference with OP record in 2011? it's also explosion in popularity by people catching up the manga after marine ford arc and strong world movie success. OP even have longer volume advantage with 63 volume at the time. how the hell they need 100 million? not even OP sales that much in a year.

ItachiDxD said:
So you really think if Kny would have had an average adaptation like for nanatsu no taizai the manga sales would still have exploded? People bought the mangas because they got hyped up by the anime and didn't want ti wait for more than a year to go through the story. If the anime was average people would have just wait for the rest in anime form even tho the quality of the manga stays the same , you'd be surprised by how animation quality influences manga hype.

ironic you using NNT is example since NNT popularity do explode back then and got first place for newcomer slightly above kingdom in 2015.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-11-29/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2015/.95913

but to answer, i would said yes, because the second most successful newcomer series of last year was 5 toubun no hanayome, and it has awful animation. in the contrast, you have another series with excellent animation production value like fire force but flopped hard. people buy manga because they interested IN the manga. if they interested in anime only, they wouldn't buy manga. don't get me wrong, anime DO help, but just like fire force, that's as far as they could help to advertise the story. if the story it self not liked by people, people wouldn't want to know the next story in manga.
KumaApr 6, 2020 1:46 AM
Apr 6, 2020 3:13 AM

Jul 2013
Holy shit people making up so many excuses in this thread are the most pathetic breed I've ever seen. The manga exploded in popularity due to a fine adaptation which resulted in huge sales. That's really all there is to it. Some of y'all don't even understand how sales and circulation work for fuck's sake.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rate Infinity Fortress arc

Hereforanimes - Jul 15, 2023

24 by troilus_05s »»
Yesterday, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2016

8 by heyyitsaj1 »»
Feb 22, 5:29 AM

Poll: » NO SPOILERS How different is the Manga to this anime compared to the Anime?

Lost_Hearts - Jan 14

16 by Loops007 »»
Jan 17, 5:49 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 207 Discussion

Cauliflawer - Jan 30, 2021

35 by kirubaprabagaran »»
Jan 13, 11:00 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 174 Discussion

PrideRoyalIvy - Sep 12, 2019

32 by kirubaprabagaran »»
Jan 10, 7:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.