Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2020 3:27 PM
Jan 2017
It should have been a monthly manga published in Jump SQ. This is what Kishimoto originally planned but he changed it.

This would have been better because,
1. Yahagi works at Jump SQ. Yahagi was the editor for Naruto from the start to the Pain arc. He could have edited Samurai 8 and given Kishimoto good advice like he did for Naruto.

2. Kishimoto could have drawn it. Kishimoto couldn't write and draw his own weekly series anymore because its too difficult. But if it's monthly he could have written and drawn it. Kishimoto's art is way better, just compare Kishimoto's rough draft to Okubo's final draft:

3. It would have time. It is way harder to get axed in Jump SQ then weekly shonen jump. In fact even if it sold as poorly as it did in WSJ, it probably still would sell enough to keep going in Jump SQ.
AxelthrowMar 19, 2020 3:36 PM
Mar 19, 2020 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think it would have been a success even if this happened. The story simply wasn't good. That's all there was to it.
Mar 19, 2020 8:43 PM

Dec 2016
The story isn't good, the characters aren't fun or engaging and there too much exposition. You would need a complete overhaul of the mnaga for it to become a hit.
Mar 20, 2020 4:54 AM
Apr 2016
Axelthrow said:
It should have been a monthly manga published in Jump SQ. This is what Kishimoto originally planned but he changed it.

This would have been better because,
1. Yahagi works at Jump SQ. Yahagi was the editor for Naruto from the start to the Pain arc. He could have edited Samurai 8 and given Kishimoto good advice like he did for Naruto.

2. Kishimoto could have drawn it. Kishimoto couldn't write and draw his own weekly series anymore because its too difficult. But if it's monthly he could have written and drawn it. Kishimoto's art is way better, just compare Kishimoto's rough draft to Okubo's final draft:

3. It would have time. It is way harder to get axed in Jump SQ then weekly shonen jump. In fact even if it sold as poorly as it did in WSJ, it probably still would sell enough to keep going in Jump SQ.

Wow that would be awesome if he did like that
Mar 20, 2020 8:44 AM
Apr 2016
But for now, if he wants to make something good for this manga(for the future of S8) and get people interested in this manga, it's better if he does the sequel, I don't think it's a bad idea (if he wants to do it)
Nb : this is just my opinion(dont take it seriously)
Mar 20, 2020 8:46 AM
Apr 2016
But for now, if he wants to make something good for this manga(for the future of S8) and get people interested in this manga, it's better if he does the sequel, I don't think it's a bad idea (if he wants to do it)
Nb : this is just my opinion(dont take it seriously)
Mar 22, 2020 10:25 AM

May 2009
Axelthrow said:
It is way harder to get axed in Jump SQ then weekly shonen jump. In fact even if it sold as poorly as it did in WSJ, it probably still would sell enough to keep going in Jump SQ.

I don't think so, Black Torch and Demon Tune were first removed from Jump SQ, put on WSJ+ and then axed anyway with 5 and 4 volumes.
Mar 26, 2020 3:50 AM

Jan 2009
there is just too much exposition or info dump that are like difficult to understand too on what like the first 15 chapters and as they say first impressions last and im not gonna lie those first 15 chapters are like so boring to read and we know a lot of consumers today are impatient thats why the first episode of any anime now a days are like the best of what the show can offer so same logic applies to manga
Mar 26, 2020 5:21 AM

Oct 2019
The main issue for me is that the series simply got a lot of dialog.

I feel like Kishimoto tried to hard to first set the sci-fi adventure elements, the first few arcs arcs of S8 should have been like the first arcs of One Piece without much focus on world building and power scaling the majority of the focus should have been on the characters, small scale adventure and action.

then after around 5 volumes just flesh out the grand sci-fi adventure elements more.

Shoko664Mar 26, 2020 5:32 AM
Mar 26, 2020 7:38 AM

Oct 2017
I haven't kept up with Samurai 8 outside of the first few chapters but the big reason I was disappointed with it was the fact Kishi relied way too much on exposition as a way of developing his world. That isn't something you want to do often in literature forget a comic where it very much should be about showing rather than telling. As someone pointed out in any grand adventure you don't want to have too much heavy exposition at the start. It's best if you use it sparingly in this medium and use more visual and less explicit ways to build your world.

It wouldn't have mattered the sales it had were pretty poor not even by Jump's standards. Of course it could have built it up but even by around Volume 4 from what I could see it had barely risen from where it started. When you compare that to other titles like Act Age which at the outset had way more barriers to overcome to be a regular in Jump you have to put blame on Kishi.

I get some people don't want to do that because the art would have been better if he had drawn it and the world could have been very interesting but the actual writing was the major issue in the small bit I had checked out.

I would like to see him try again but if he isn't that interested or doesn't want to it's not like he has to. Considering that Kubo is getting a lot more attention due to the anime adaptions he is receiving I wonder if Jump is going to focus on marketing something new from him next. (maybe even his one shot)
BilboBaggins365Mar 26, 2020 7:44 AM
Mar 29, 2020 9:52 AM

Dec 2016
Too much exposition, I'm big fan of sci-fi (hard, soft doesn't matter) and honestly I didn't had hard time to follow the story at early chapter but I remember how hard to me was to understand how (I think) regeneration worked in this universe, there was so much of technobabble cramped in few panels that I was thinking "what causes what?", so I can only imagine what casual readers were thinking.

But monthly releases would definitely help.

Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Mar 29, 2020 11:58 AM

Dec 2016
Nieznajomy43 said:
Too much exposition, I'm big fan of sci-fi (hard, soft doesn't matter) and honestly I didn't had hard time to follow the story at early chapter but I remember how hard to me was to understand how (I think) regeneration worked in this universe, there was so much of technobabble cramped in few panels that I was thinking "what causes what?", so I can only imagine what casual readers were thinking.

But monthly releases would definitely help.

Actually most concept in S8 aren't that hard to understand. it just the way Kishi present those elements that make it hard to understand. Like he could just call the Key Holder "mount"
Mar 31, 2020 9:18 AM

Nov 2013
The rough draft actually looks better than the published version lmao.
You all need to watch Nami.

Apr 12, 2020 1:22 PM
May 2016
the editor statement really hit home on how important an editor can be to production sometimes. I think you've got the right idea, people say the story was bad, but if it were monthly, things may have been different enough to make a difference
Jul 18, 2020 10:53 PM
Jan 2017
NG_Chloe said:
the editor statement really hit home on how important an editor can be to production sometimes. I think you've got the right idea, people say the story was bad, but if it were monthly, things may have been different enough to make a difference

Yes, the editor he got was a newbie and probably was too intimidated to criticize, and the other editors thought his name could carry it.

The manga had concepts I was interested in seeing like references to enlightenment and climate change. But the basics like plot and art weren't good imo.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den Chapter 43 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Thorf - Mar 22, 2020

50 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 17, 2023 11:45 AM

Poll: » Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den Chapter 42 Discussion

deg - Mar 15, 2020

4 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 17, 2023 11:40 AM

Poll: » Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den Chapter 41 Discussion

deg - Mar 8, 2020

9 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 17, 2023 11:37 AM

Poll: » Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den Chapter 40 Discussion

deg - Mar 1, 2020

10 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 17, 2023 11:33 AM

Poll: » Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den Chapter 39 Discussion

deg - Feb 21, 2020

12 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 17, 2023 11:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.