Forum Settings
Forums

What did you think of the Sonic the Hedgehog movie? *SPOILERS*

New
Feb 16, 2020 8:31 AM

May 2014
Well, to my surprise i liked it enough to see it twice! Which is something i've never done before for a movie at the cinema. Saw it Saturday and Sunday. Thankfully despite the amount of children in the theatre none of them were particularly loud or annoying, so hurrah for that lol. I've been a huge Sonic fan ever since i was little and this movie didn't disappoint.

Now Sonic was quite different from how he is in the games, his personality is very hyperactive—more cute than cool, which i'm totally fine with. Considering Sonic's backstory in this movie, it makes sense why he'd act the way he does. Jim Carrey was fantastic as Eggman; even when those first horrifying trailers dropped people were confident he would be the best best part of the film. I'm not even a Jim Carrey fan, but i have to admire his performance here, really great stuff. Tail's mid-credit appearance was of course a big treat. Hoping he'll be a bigger part of the story if there's a sequel.

The biggest flaw of the movie was that there wasn't enough baby Sonic. I need a spin off series all about baby Sonic being cute. Please and thank you SEGA.

I genuinely want this to succeed and make some money. I don't think i've ever seen a movie do such a 180 before. They listened to the fans and that deserves a lot of credit. Even though my brain still can't comprehend why they thought that original abomination of a design looked good lol.

Anyone here seen it? If so, what did you think? I'm tied between a strong 8 or a light 9/10.
FancyjasperFeb 25, 2020 4:15 AM
Feb 16, 2020 8:51 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Saw it yesterday and overall would say it was an ok film. I'd give it a solid 6.5/10.

It was certainly way better than I thought it'd be especially since the film is clearly aimed at children. My only complaint which really isn't a complaint to begin with is Sonic flossing, that's bout it.

I'm also glad they including Tails in the mid credits cause ever since it was announced that the film would just be Sonic tagging along with just a human character, I hoped for the film to show someone like Tails and that's exactly what happened. And he looks really good to boot along with being voiced by the VA that currently voices him in the games so that was an extra plus.

I do hope it does really well so we can get a sequel sooner than later.
Feb 16, 2020 12:04 PM

Dec 2014
I went to watch this Saturday with my other half (he didn't like it), but I have always been a massive sonic fan and used to play a lot of the games when I was a kid I enjoyed the film I rated it 7/10. I thought sonic was so cute and loved his relationship with donut lord. I really hope we get a sequel and that tails can feature more in the sequel.
Feb 16, 2020 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
It's pretty good, seeing it for a second time tonight
Feb 19, 2020 8:03 PM
May 2016
I had fun watching this. Some of the jokes were lame (and Sonic fucking flossing made me want to kill myself) but it served its purpose as a fun video game movie for kids that adults can also enjoy, plus the references were great!

Feb 20, 2020 6:23 AM
May 2015
Solid fun, great action and comedy. Good for a watch and can open up a franchise.
Feb 20, 2020 6:33 AM

Dec 2015
Went to see it yesterday and it was better than I thought it would be. Was a fun film to watch, mid credit scene was a nice bonus too.

Feb 20, 2020 9:00 AM

Nov 2008
I thought it was really cute!!! I loved how Sonic got a family; very heart-warming. ^^

I also loved how Jim Carrey had the scenery for lunch. xD When he pretends to get his head eaten by the T-rex, I was dying. xDDD

Mar 4, 2020 12:36 PM
Jul 2018
jimbotnik revived my horniness for jim carrey

foreal, he was arguably the best part of the movie, sonic was good, but marsden's straight man char was a little bland-ish (and if youve seen him in other productions u know he couldve been more interesting, does anyone remember him in Enchanted?). easily though, the best part was robotnik, you can't have a good hero v. villain movie without a good villain
Jul 21, 2021 3:10 PM

Jul 2021
Meh it coud've been worse but it also coud've been better, im not a fan of jim carrey, and i didn't like the constant tonal shifts, and the pretty childish humor, im sticking to the OVA.
Jul 27, 2021 10:16 AM

Jul 2013
The second one is basically original, unlike summer 2021 movies. I'll give it that. Disney are the ones getting punked left and right. Punked by fans, critics, theater owners and soon bankruptcy.

Good thing Sonic movies don't have Disney's name on it.
Jul 27, 2021 11:26 AM

Sep 2020
i watched it and i liked it, i think it was an okay movie, 7/10.

More topics from this board

» hardcore/skramz/emo/metalcore/post-hardcore/post-metal/blackened/crust

bloodecho - Feb 14

31 by Mattenan »»
2 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

3 by Theo1899 »»
2 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3384 by NiaAlexandria »»
3 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7584 by NiaAlexandria »»
3 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

11 by Toooooooooohru »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.