Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 24, 2020 12:12 AM

Jan 2019
Ummmm what the fuck. I watch this show for heart touching and wholesome moments. Nonetheless, very good episode, definitely the best episode so far and a rollercoaster of emotions.
May 24, 2020 9:41 PM

Nov 2008
WELP....

THAT WAS DARK. D:

KuroAruu said:
Hatsuyuki said:

Well, that's an assumption. And we're talking about the meat of a fantastic beast right here, for all we know even ingestion of small quantities could be fatal.

It doesn't directly explain it, but Uzoi states in the episode that people in general don't know much about human illnesses and it's not like Haitora would know why. The best they could've really done was either have the backstory explain that Haitora ate less or that Uzoi would explain that harpy blood is poisonous for some animals. It's not like all diseases and poisonous substances have a 100% ratio of success, simply being lucky (or unlucky given the circumstance) isn't out of the question.

This reminds me VERY MUCH of

I think it must be the same with how a few people experience deadly side effects of medication but many do not at all? Only the numbers are reversed and survival is rare but does happen.
ChiibiMay 24, 2020 9:45 PM

Jun 4, 2020 10:56 AM

Feb 2012
Lmao, good idea to eat a monster.
Couldn't they just take some blood from Somali and let Haitora drink it to see if it's actually helpful ?
a little bit weaker than the other episodes but at least we saw partly what would happen to humans.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Jun 25, 2020 5:03 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
I know most people love it when nice, cute anime take dark turns but I do not. What happened to my cute slice of life fantasy parent child anime?! That guy ate her mother. He didn't just lie to her, he ATE her mother and didn't tell her. That's fucked. I dunno, this anime suddenly became less enjoyable for me.
HendyJun 25, 2020 5:06 PM

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Jul 30, 2020 5:12 AM

Feb 2019
This show has turned unexpectedly dark and brutal.

Knew nothing was going to happen to Somali, but didn't guess that things would turn out this way. Didn't expect that dark and tragic backstory to Haitora and Uzoi.

Haitora's backstory was hard to watch. His home was destroyed and his neighbours probably enslaved or dead, and then out of desperation and hatred he killed a harpy and had his entire family eat it to survive... only to have his own family die brutally like that...

It was really painful to watch his wife and daughter die as those feathers grew all over their body, especially their eyes... That might haunt me.

Although I understand her feeling of being betrayed by Haitora, I think her deciding to let go during that storm was bad. I mean, if it was just herself I would understand it, but she was literally holding Somali and she didn't do anything wrong, nor did Golem.

That aside, that was a nice ending. In a way, it mirrors Golem's and Somali's situation, except that the lie is that he'll be with her forever.

The feeling I got from this episode was just despair and tragedy though. It feels like everyone's a victim and a perpetrator at the same time. This war between humans and monsters is probably because of faults on both sides, and neither are right. Humans probably committed atrocities against monsters, and so did monsters against humans (like we just saw). And it all just results in suffering for both sides...
Jul 30, 2020 5:12 AM

Feb 2019
This show has turned unexpectedly dark and brutal.

Knew nothing was going to happen to Somali, but didn't guess that things would turn out this way. Didn't expect that dark and tragic backstory to Haitora and Uzoi.

Haitora's backstory was hard to watch. His home was destroyed and his neighbours probably enslaved or dead, and then out of desperation and hatred he killed a harpy and had his entire family eat it to survive... only to have his own family die brutally like that...

It was really painful to watch his wife and daughter die as those feathers grew all over their body, especially their eyes... That might haunt me.

Although I understand her feeling of being betrayed by Haitora, I think her deciding to let go during that storm was bad. I mean, if it was just herself I would understand it, but she was literally holding Somali and she didn't do anything wrong, nor did Golem.

That aside, that was a nice ending. In a way, it mirrors Golem's and Somali's situation, except that the lie is that he'll be with her forever.

The feeling I got from this episode was just despair and tragedy though. It feels like everyone's a victim and a perpetrator at the same time. This war between humans and monsters is probably because of faults on both sides, and neither are right. Humans probably committed atrocities against monsters, and so did monsters against humans (like we just saw). And it all just results in suffering for both sides...
Aug 17, 2020 10:08 PM
Jul 2020
this episode mack me cry
Aug 30, 2020 1:52 PM

Jul 2015
Oh man Haitora's dark past and sin was pretty gruesome and sad. Glad that Uzoi could forgive him after getting to know the truth (even though its pretty messed up to he ate her mom). Don't know why but something tells me there is a lot more to why Grotesques are hunting down humans other than humans talking bad about them and why the war started.

Mar 5, 2021 10:25 AM

Aug 2018
Aww, how sad.. He lost his family. Ima cry

Apr 3, 2021 7:53 AM

Sep 2012
Reapermask said:
Oh man Haitora's dark past and sin was pretty gruesome and sad. Glad that Uzoi could forgive him after getting to know the truth (even though its pretty messed up to he ate her mom). Don't know why but something tells me there is a lot more to why Grotesques are hunting down humans other than humans talking bad about them and why the war started.

her mother was cute and he killed her that's crime and sin on its own, when u meet some1 like her ur response should not be kill her but to hit on her (ask her out) :D

to be honest at first i thought he got cursed cause he knocked her mother up and she was the fruit, well if not cursed a illness that effects humans if they do it with harpy

to me it seems harpy is not a species that eats human also possible her subspecies is vegan
Apr 6, 2021 11:21 PM

Feb 2020
That backstory was pretty sick and twisted.

SerafosJan 30, 2:23 AM
Nov 20, 2021 2:36 AM

Nov 2013
Somali is so cute. Seeing her scared running away from Uzoi made me sad.

Well that got fucked up real fast.

That scene with the family eating Uzoi's mother; what the fuck. I'm gonna have nightmares tonight.

For a second there I thought Haitora was actually going to get eaten by that monster. Only reason I can think that he's staying alive is that they might find a way to cure him of his illness.

That makes me wonder why they didn't just give him a small sample of Somali's blood to see if that would fix him.

Kinda miss the comfiness of the earlier episodes, but this darker tone is quite welcome as well. Just not what I expected going into this anime.

Feb 5, 2022 2:04 PM
Jun 2017
White_Hollow said:
Goodness... that backstory was vile. But, i don't think anyone is to blame here. Both the demi humans and Haitora did the same thing. But i think the humans really had it bad in this world :(

I don't think it'd be so easy for Golem san to find somali's parents. The ending might not go well. With all the lies between Haitora and Uzoi... i've been reminded again about how Golem san will die soon. How is he going to be responsible for this.... Somali is such a good gurl, she doesn't deserve grief and sadness!!

But well, it's nice to see Golem san to be more human from episode to episode.

Aoboba said:
Idk about you guys but that scene where they ate the mother and started morphing... that shit was brutal.

The whole bird eating scene was brutal... i agree with you. I was okay when his wife died, but when his daughter died it was horrifying. In the end... you reap what you sow... they deserve death. But tbh, it's kinda unfair because the humans are the hunted in here.

What do you mean they deserve death? They were just hungry. They were trying to survive. That world was messed up and they were driven to desperation
Vi- said:
shuu-tsukiyama said:

well, she did spend a lot of time with him, so it's kinda hard to just forget all emotional attachment with the person she always loved as a father

Hm, I wish it was just a father-daughter relationship considering he had a daughter... a wife and met Uzoi when she was just a child but..... I think she loves him in another way. In a romantic way.
She even says "he's not my father or something" (something like that).
And some of her acts suggests that it isn't a father-daughter relationship (at least in her perspective)

She is aware he is not her biological father. She was quite grown when they met. He has been her protector and tutor for her entire life. She probably just doesnt see him formally as her "father" even though the relationship is of real parentship. Plus, we dont know the social ques of this world. For all we know, incest could be perfectly acceptable. It wasnt that long ago in human history that it was seen as a normal thing. We rejected the practice because we learned of the harmful effects of it. If the conditions are not the same between monsters, then they might not come to the same conclusions.
May 15, 2023 6:12 PM

Oct 2022
Some real Stockholm syndrome here...

Well to be honest, she seemed pretty young, so frankly she spent more of her life (at an age where emotional attachment is at it's strongest) with the dude, so it does make sense, albeit a bit hard to relate to.
Oct 10, 2023 3:07 AM

Jul 2014
Man im speechless , that was some made in abyss shit, it caught me off guard. Best episode far
Dec 28, 2023 4:38 AM

Dec 2020
Wtf is up with them and eating people. The thought of eating anyone with higher thought and especially humanoid looking is disgusting.

Definitely the humans fault for their demise. Even in the back story they refer to everyone as grotesques. Literally didn't even need to kill her mom either. Look around for like a couple more minutes and he would've saw the berries too.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

145 by ShitList »»
Jan 26, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

68 by phantom346 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kuuderes_shadow - Oct 25, 2019

205 by Muow »»
Dec 26, 2023 6:36 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2020

77 by GingZ »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.