Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 24, 2020 9:13 PM
Mar 2019
Let's say the male MC goes into an isekai world in episode 1 like any other show, and realizes they can be social and extroverted there, unlike in real life where they hate themselves for being introverted.
Then by episode 2, they return to the real world, and 1 female character from the isekai world follows them. However, throughout the rest of the show, the character helps the MC with their social situations in high school, leading towards a journey of self-realization for the MC.
Could there be an anime with such a synopsis? Is this a good synopsis in general for any future isekai anime?
Jan 24, 2020 9:26 PM
Jul 2018
It's not exactly an escapist fantasy, so I don't think it'd be made.
Jan 24, 2020 9:28 PM
Mar 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:

It goes too deep into reality? Isekai anime are supposed to escape from reality.... I see.
Jan 24, 2020 9:29 PM

Jul 2013
"How will the viewer self insert the MC?"

Seriously tho.. It looks promising

Jan 24, 2020 9:38 PM
Mar 2019
Livius2001 said:
So a reverse isekai? The premise doesn't sound bad albeit rather simple. Also, I would avoid high school settings.

Simple yet effective. But, High school settings can get generic quick.
Jan 24, 2020 9:58 PM
Jul 2018
I mean, if you replace introverted male MC with diverse group of kids with all sorts of issues, and girl from the other world with monsters, you basically have Digimon Adventure.

It basically is isekai where their journey in the other world is one of self-discovery that translates to personal growth in the real world.
Jan 24, 2020 10:18 PM

Jun 2012
There's an Isekai already that is close to that description. It's title is Welcome to Japan! Ms. Elf.
Jan 24, 2020 10:22 PM

Oct 2015
Digimon Adventure has already done that

Stepped out from the darkness I contained in me.
Released myself form the shackles I helped create.

I've got the power of life in my hands,
and I intend to keep it.

My life has meaning after all.

Jan 24, 2020 10:40 PM

Nov 2019
Digimon Adventure has done it. With kids though. 😅
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 24, 2020 10:52 PM

Feb 2017
Hi!, Angel Beats is an Isekai, Goodbye!
The truly intelligent person is one who can pretend to be a fool in front of a fool who pretends to be intelligent.
Jan 24, 2020 11:14 PM

Nov 2013
Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero already did that too. Though it's more about superpowers and Ecchi shenanigans. But the MC's "sister" causes him to be more sociable, I guess.

Reverse Isekai are not that rare either. For example, Orenchi ni Kita Onna Kishi to Inakagurashi suru Koto ni Natta Ken.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 24, 2020 11:45 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Uhhh, I only read a little bit of the manga for this series, but...
Doesn't that sound kinda like Inuyasha?
I could've sworn that Kagome goes to the past but does eventually get to back to her world, occasionally going back there to get the Shikon Jewel...

Andres_creig said:
Hi!, Angel Beats is an Isekai, Goodbye!

agreed but i don't think that's what OP wants right now lol
Jan 24, 2020 11:48 PM

Nov 2007
99.9% isekai with male MC is shit. Why would you need more shit just by tweaking it a bit?
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 25, 2020 3:26 AM

Feb 2010
That's not how being introverted/extroverted works. It doesn't depend on the time and place, it's just a part of your personality. There's no way being in another world would magically change who they are to their core.

Also why would he hate himself for being introverted? It's not a bad thing. I hate the mentality of treating being introverted as some sort of mental illness while being extroverted is being treated as being 'normal'. Both are normal, both are natural and both have advantages and disadvantages. We don't need more propaganda telling introverts that they should hate themselves. That synopsis sounds toxic in that regard...
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 25, 2020 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
Re:Creators is a reverse isekai. Try it, it’ll be worth your time. Everyone is lovable and MC changes a bit after all the encounters.
Jan 25, 2020 3:59 AM
May 2019
As some have already mention just watch Digimon Adventure along with Digimon Tamers they are objectively best isekai.

shanimebib said:
99.9% isekai with male MC is shit. Why would you need more shit just by tweaking it a bit?

I wish there were more isekai with girls as MC.
There is Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu this season maybe if it becomes popular enough the trend will change.
Jan 25, 2020 4:01 AM

Jun 2016
EdgeoftheLords said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

It goes too deep into reality? Isekai anime are supposed to escape from reality.... I see.

Unfortunately that's just what the target audience usually wants. It doesn't mean that such a story can't be made, just that you can't expect it to keep selling without the audience receiving their escapist guilty pleasures, and that would be tricky to do when the fantasy world itself is such a big part of that.

If you're looking for anime that has such a plotline (and absolutely need the isekai element) your best bet is to look for anime made before isekai became popular (which is when the escapism aspect was dialed up to 11). @Fario-P mentioned Inuyasha. I haven't seen it but it is an older isekai (early 2000's) so it's less likely to be about escapism. Unfortunately the only other thing I can think of is Garzey's Wing, which has the MC exist in a fantasy world and the real world at the same time, but is widely considered to be a dumpster fire that's only worth watching for the campy English dub.

You could also look for something that's not an isekai and happens to involve an introvert/extrovert pair. Something close to what you're looking for are romance anime about gamers meeting each other in an MMO and then building a real world relationship. Not that I've seen them personally, but from what I've heard Net-juu no Susume & Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? are basically that premise.
Jan 25, 2020 4:23 AM

Nov 2011
Yeah, it's not an isekai anymore, it sounds more like a drama/psychological show if self discovery is the main topic.
But I am not sure how one character from another world can help the MC with the problem of this world. Something like meeting a character from the future or ghost of dead people make more sense to this plot.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jan 25, 2020 4:46 AM
Aug 2013
Dan machi is probably the most isekai non isekai anime lmao...also not sure if gantz is classified as isekai because when they get transferred to gantz they are still on earth in the same area and everything
~AnimeDownUnder~

Jan 25, 2020 4:49 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
You are literally describing Inuyasha except change male with female.
Jan 25, 2020 5:26 AM

Nov 2007
Xstasy said:
As some have already mention just watch Digimon Adventure along with Digimon Tamers they are objectively best isekai.

shanimebib said:

I wish there were more isekai with girls as MC.
There is Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu this season maybe if it becomes popular enough the trend will change.

Might want to check it. Thanks.

If reincarnating in a Otomege counts as an Isekai then we have: Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei in April 2020.

The original light novel is a bestseller. It already has quite the hype in Japan because it breaks the Isekai and harem conventions in the same story. If you check the official PV, the PV for the LN, the tweets and the comments below/number of likes, you can tell it's probably gonna be a hit.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 25, 2020 6:18 AM
Nov 2019
I’m sensing Hataraku Maou-sama vibes.
Just a little.
Jan 25, 2020 6:54 AM

Jan 2018
Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari does the thing of going back and forth, but it's just harem isekai, not what you want
Jan 25, 2020 4:53 PM

Nov 2015
Actually I would love to see an Isekai where the MC's old world becomes relevant in some way to their new one, like if it was a place that others were trying to go to. I think [url=Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri]Gate[/url] does something similar to this, but it's not really an Isekai.

I want to see an isekai where the MC gets transported back and forth between their world and the new world. Either they lose the same amount of time they spend in the other, or no time passes between the switch. The MC has to balance their regular, mundane life with this completely different one (it could either be some regular magic fantasy world or something darker, or even something like sci-fi or cyberpunk).

From what I understand Isekai is a really good setup for Fantasy, because the main character figuring out everything is what helps the audience learn as well. But I think it's a wasted opportunity to look at how much the two worlds might differ from eachother.
Jan 25, 2020 6:25 PM
Jul 2018
ISOQuorra said:

I want to see an isekai where the MC gets transported back and forth between their world and the new world. Either they lose the same amount of time they spend in the other, or no time passes between the switch. The MC has to balance their regular, mundane life with this completely different one (it could either be some regular magic fantasy world or something darker, or even something like sci-fi or cyberpunk).

..Inuyasha. The anime you are looking for is Inuyasha. Digimon Adventure 02 as well.
Jan 25, 2020 11:50 PM

Jan 2018
World god only knows also tried to do this but mc is too smart to change for others even the teacher got mad at him.

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 8 hours ago

14 by Yuri-Crusader »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 21 minutes ago

7 by NubFix »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 3 hours ago

10 by Sorachin »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 1 hour ago

14 by joseifan »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 2 hours ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.