Forums

Anime Industry is Over Saturated with trash now days

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 2, 2019 10:05 AM

Oct 2010
Zeroflamez said:
jal90 said:
You talk about slice of life like it's not the best thing to happen to a medium oversaturated with silly power fantasies.

LOL slice of life being the best thing to happen to a medium.. Are you joking?

Only half joking. It is the best thing, but it didn't replace silly power fantasies. You can still find them everywhere. The medium hasn't left you yet.
Dec 2, 2019 10:09 AM

May 2009
Zeroflamez said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Fads have happened since forever. Moë was a fad for a while. Mecha was a fad back in the day.

My problem isn't that these fad anime are being produced but the sheer volume of it being produced. In past decades the Fad Anime would only get like 1-2 shows a season opposed to like 15 today.
Actually there's only 6 isekai series this season, last I heard.

But more relevantly, there were just fewer things being made in the past, overall.

Probably useful to keep in mind that just because stuff gets made doesn't mean it's worth checking out. I think that's a mistake that some people make -- they feel the desire to keep up with the season, which ends up with them checking out a lot of stuff that just isn't to their tastes, rather than picking out only the stuff they like and ignoring the rest. Can lead to a magnification of stuff they don't like, and also burnout and resentment against them, because they're forcing themselves to wade through stuff they don't like due to a fear-of-missing-out.

I have no plans to watch the vast majority of anime works, including a variety of famous and/or critically-acclaimed series, and I shouldn't PTW stuff just because other people are talking about the current season's shows.

Also I fixed your quote formatting. Kinda. I was too lazy to properly re-add my own post's tag so I just stuck my name on my text.

Zeroflamez said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
I've said this in about two hundred threads already, but it only seems that way because of the sheer volume of anime being produced. Which is straight-up ridiculous.

The percentage of bad anime being pumped out never changed. It's the same all the way from the 80s to current times.
The problem is since there are so many shows released on a yearly basis, it becomes harder to wade through the mud.

In short, it's much more pleasing to scroll through 10 bad shows and 5 good ones than 40 (!!!!!!) bad ones and 20 good ones. It's all about the freaking volume and how it is perceived.

I absolutely agree with this. Every season it's like I sit there and just shift through all the over produced genres that look the same hoping to maybe get lucky and find something that looks different.
If you're actually a fan of those genres but also find they frequently miss the mark for you, I totally understand the feeling. It's kinda like how I end up looking into a lot of things with what I think are nice character designs only to be dismayed by how they're fanservicey (a thing I don't like), as opposed to simply letting the attractive character designs stand on their own.

Zeroflamez said:
jal90 said:
You talk about slice of life like it's not the best thing to happen to a medium oversaturated with silly power fantasies.

I dunno jal90's tastes but it might or might not be a joke depending on their tastes.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 2, 2019 10:20 AM

May 2016
Slice of life has routinely put out the best anime there is, and in fact most, if not all, of Japan's best cultural exports have literally just been slice of shit.

If you deny this you have bad taste tbh

Also before someone says Kurosawa, a reminder that Kurosawa's best film is actually High and Low, a slice of life about why we should feel bad for a shoemaker.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperDec 5, 2019 3:33 AM
Dec 2, 2019 10:32 AM

Jan 2018
Yudina said:
Slice of life has routinely put out the best anime there is, and in fact most, if not all, of Japan's best cultural exports have literally just been slice of shit.

I wouldn't say routinely, but when SoL is good it's some of the best stuff out there.
What a beautiful Duwang
Dec 2, 2019 10:44 AM

May 2016
Jus1294 said:
Yudina said:

I wouldn't say routinely, but when SoL is good it's some of the best stuff out there.
True. I'd say if the clock was dialed back a decade, or maybe even just 4-5 years, it'd be a bit more accurate.
Dec 2, 2019 11:02 AM

Aug 2019
It's why I started reading manga heavily in 2010 til now. So many good manga that have never been adapted to an anime. Also manga that have had terrible adaptations from subpar studios. Still every once in awhile a good adaption comes along or an original
Dec 2, 2019 11:04 AM

Oct 2018
deg said:
Sturgeons Law says 90% of everything is crap anyway (rule of thumb that is) so anime is no exception especially that we are like in a market bubble era right now for anime

and lol you make it sound like studios are usually the owners of anime when in fact their mostly just hired contractors with a set fee given to them by the real owners called the production committee especially when it comes to anime adaptations and majority of anime are anime adaptations instead of original anime
People that make these threads typically think it's a feasible strategy to take a major risk in producing a show without a committee whilst also trying to maintain high production standards.
Dec 2, 2019 11:10 AM

May 2019
Aha a "Why do they keep making Isekai" thread in disguise.

There are a few watch worthy shows each season so why would you focus on the bad ones?
Dec 2, 2019 11:19 AM

Oct 2017
Zeroflamez said:
TolkienFan365 said:
Ecchi has been cut down since 2010 but okay. Seriously every year someone is going to say this. It always was over saturated with mediocre content there wasn't a treasure trove of amazing stuff in the past. It's just easy to wade through older stuff than seasonals in finding content you like. Plus you literally gave Kimestu no Yaiba and Mob Psycho 100 S2 two 9's and are complaining about anime this year????

Seems to me you got two shows you enjoyed that you apparently highly rated. Just because you don't get the appeal of SOL anime doesn't mean they should no longer exist. I love SOL shows and want to continue seeing them as does a good majority of this community. You have plenty of action oriented shonen out there for you.

You misunderstand me. I don't believe these genres shouldn't exist. I've enjoyed Visual Novel adaptions like Fate, I've enjoyed slice of life like GTO, I've enjoyed Ecchi like How Heavy are the Dumb Bells you lift? It's just there's too many of the kind of Genres I listed that are overly produced every season. I have no problem with people that enjoy Slice of Life or Ecchi LN adaptions. It's just too much of it is being produced leaving next to nothing for others than want to see other genres adapted.

Those genres have to prove they are cost efficient. Look I want more war dramas or historical titles but those types of shows have different issues and may not attract a sizable enough audience. Is there are a lot of mediocre shows that come out every season yeah. That said what would you have those studios do? Do a high pace action series with animation like Kimetsu no Yaiba well um we don't have the time or talent for that? Do a massive war drama on the scale of LOTGH well again same issue. Many of those shows are easier to produce. Just because those shows get produced doesn't mean they are taking assets away from some mythical other show you are talking about.

Point to me where the genres that you want or think there should be more of are selling in the LN or manga sphere. Or originals that have done well? If they are a production committee will take a shot at it. For better or worse this industry is pretty reactive to the customer. If they see it will sell it will get made.

Also again literally the amount of ecchi titles have gone down. You have been here since 2010 I mean have you looked back on how much that stuff dominated that year? Way more notable ones than today. Slice of life is also pretty varied from something comedic or dramatic. Saying there is too much again is your subjective view.
BilboBaggins365Dec 2, 2019 11:23 AM
Dec 2, 2019 11:30 AM

Jun 2019
There's been Boku No Hero S4 & Seven Deadly Sins: War of Wrath for battle shounen fans to watch this season. I'd never watched seasonal shows as they were airing until earlier this year in Spring 2019. I've been pleasantly surprised how many good shows from a range of genres there is available.

When I hear people bemoaning how's there's nothing decent to watch despite the record high number of newly airing shows coming out each season, I wonder if they're checking out the same websites as me, if they're even in my reality. I wonder if people have their expectations set too high. I could see how some people may not like all or most of the shows coming out each season, but to say that none of them are worth watching is so far off the mark imo. I think the majority of shows are a decent standard.

Having picked anime back up earlier this year after personal reasons gave me more time on my hands, I've been in astonishment of the sheer amount and quality of all the new anime being presented to me each season, by all these wonderful studios.
23feanorDec 2, 2019 11:33 AM
Dec 2, 2019 12:05 PM

Feb 2010
from the day i joined mal every time i see a thread it's

2010 anime is dead!

2011 anime is dead!

2012 anime is dead!

2013 anime is dead!

2014 anime is dead!

2016 anime is dead!

2017 anime is dead!

2018 anime is dead!

2019 anime is dead!

it's not dead or dying you just have such narrow interests that you can't find anything to watch.

Yudina said:

everyone has bad tastes according to everyone.

anime is subjective medium.

If you believe a medium built for entertainment. To appeal to a infinite range of people who have vastly different philosophies is objective then you should seek help.
GrimAtramentDec 2, 2019 12:10 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 2, 2019 12:15 PM

May 2016
hazarddex said:
everyone has bad tastes according to everyone.

anime is subjective medium.

If you believe a medium built for entertainment. To appeal to a infinite range of people who have vastly different philosophies is objective then you should seek help.
There is literally nothing in my post that talks about whether I think anime is objective lmfao

How badly do you need to misread my statement to need to bring up and fallback on a topic just as belabored on this site as whether or not each contemporary anime is garbage
Dec 2, 2019 12:26 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Zeroflamez said:

EcchiGodMamster said:
theres NO WAY someone whos been on MAL since 2010 doesn't know this thread is made every year

I only started posting on here again this year. I never much of a message board person. My last activity on these boards prior to this year was 7 years ago. So no I don't know what threads are repeatedly posted.

this is like... top 3 most unoriginal opinions anyone who watches anime can have

and just because something is repetitive doesn't make it trash, i mean, most of what you see in anime today goes back to the 80s, yet people are still watching and loving anime

Dec 2, 2019 12:27 PM

Apr 2010

TolkienFan365 said:
Those genres have to prove they are cost efficient. Look I want more war dramas or historical titles but those types of shows have different issues and may not attract a sizable enough audience. Is there are a lot of mediocre shows that come out every season yeah. That said what would you have those studios do? Do a high pace action series with animation like Kimetsu no Yaiba well um we don't have the time or talent for that? Do a massive war drama on the scale of LOTGH well again same issue. Many of those shows are easier to produce. Just because those shows get produced doesn't mean they are taking assets away from some mythical other show you are talking about.

Point to me where the genres that you want or think there should be more of are selling in the LN or manga sphere. Or originals that have done well? If they are a production committee will take a shot at it. For better or worse this industry is pretty reactive to the customer. If they see it will sell it will get made.

Also again literally the amount of ecchi titles have gone down. You have been here since 2010 I mean have you looked back on how much that stuff dominated that year? Way more notable ones than today. Slice of life is also pretty varied from something comedic or dramatic. Saying there is too much again is your subjective view.

I never said that because these shows are being produced that they are taking away assets from other potential Anime. Production Companies can easily test new Genres and shows through OVA's like they used to. Make 1-2 episodes. If people don't buy then you don't have to commit. My point is they don't even seem to want to give niche titles or genres even a chance.

Kobayasan said:
Aha a "Why do they keep making Isekai" thread in disguise.

There are a few watch worthy shows each season so why would you focus on the bad ones?

I don't focus on the bad ones but when bad and average ones make up 95% of the list it's kind of hard not to. I'm not one for ratings but even the ratings on the seasonal charts are all mostly 6's and below.

Haunt-Me said:
It's why I started reading manga heavily in 2010 til now. So many good manga that have never been adapted to an anime. Also manga that have had terrible adaptations from subpar studios. Still every once in awhile a good adaption comes along or an original

Yeah I've been beefing up my manga list lately. More to choose from.

zagzee said:
deg said:
Sturgeons Law says 90% of everything is crap anyway (rule of thumb that is) so anime is no exception especially that we are like in a market bubble era right now for anime

and lol you make it sound like studios are usually the owners of anime when in fact their mostly just hired contractors with a set fee given to them by the real owners called the production committee especially when it comes to anime adaptations and majority of anime are anime adaptations instead of original anime
People that make these threads typically think it's a feasible strategy to take a major risk in producing a show without a committee whilst also trying to maintain high production standards.

I never said it's a feasible risk to produce a show without funding. But there are ways to test the waters before committing to more. In American television there are TV pilots. In Japanese Animation there used to be OVA's. These committees are just playing it safe and raking in their money.
ZeroflamezDec 2, 2019 12:41 PM
Dec 2, 2019 12:56 PM

May 2019
@Zeroflamez I feel like you could say that for majority of the seasons, i just went through all the seasons from 2006(which is widely considered one of the best years for anime) and while 2 seasons were great two were filled with junk. There was always some sort of over-saturation weather it be battle shonen, idol shows, mahou shoujo or light novel adaptations, years like 2006 are remembered for the anime that defined it, there were still a lot of forgotten ones.
Dec 2, 2019 1:01 PM

Aug 2009
Manaban said:
2014 called and it wants its thread back

Better yet, 2009 called and it wants its thread back.

Dec 2, 2019 1:11 PM

Jun 2008
Zeroflamez said:
Zeroflamez said:
Yeah I never said they were all shit. Just a lot of the same type of anime is produced. I've been watching No Guns Life. It's pretty decent.
Fads have happened since forever. Moë was a fad for a while. Mecha was a fad back in the day.

My problem isn't that these fad anime are being produced but the sheer volume of it being produced. In past decades the Fad Anime would only get like 1-2 shows a season opposed to like 15 today.
[/quote]

Anime got popular and more mainstream. That is the issue.
When something goes mainstream many who have no real appreciation of something get into it to make money therefore you get all this shitty light novel adaptations and anime being pumped out in crazy rates.
Dec 2, 2019 1:53 PM

Feb 2015
what is this faggot's complain, despite having a shounen anime pfp?
Dec 2, 2019 2:47 PM

Apr 2010
Kobayasan said:
@Zeroflamez I feel like you could say that for majority of the seasons, i just went through all the seasons from 2006(which is widely considered one of the best years for anime) and while 2 seasons were great two were filled with junk. There was always some sort of over-saturation weather it be battle shonen, idol shows, mahou shoujo or light novel adaptations, years like 2006 are remembered for the anime that defined it, there were still a lot of forgotten ones.

I never said there weren't bad apples every season but a least 10+ years ago we had more of a mix of shows. Yeah you had some genres get more love than others but it didn't feel as suffocating as it does now days..

_Ako_ said:

Who hurt you?
ZeroflamezDec 2, 2019 2:54 PM
Dec 2, 2019 3:03 PM

Sep 2014
I disagree on the oversaturated part. I believe we could fit way more trash in the seasonal charts.
Dec 2, 2019 3:13 PM

Feb 2018
Nah, I think the odds are that it's just as bad as it's always been. It's just no cares about the forgettable mediocre old shows, so when we look back all we see is mostly the actually good stuff that people liked. Honestly, I'm betting that 10 to 20 years down the line we'll see people saying that exact same thing sighting this as part of the "golden era."
"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Dec 2, 2019 3:18 PM

Feb 2015
Zeroflamez said:

_Ako_ said:

Who hurt you?

Is that hard to know basic common sense?
Dec 2, 2019 3:29 PM

Oct 2017
It's almost as if slice of life, isekai, and ecchi make a lot of money for studios because a lot of people enjoy watching them.
Dec 2, 2019 3:32 PM
Jul 2018
Dolabella said:
It's almost as if slice of life, isekai, and ecchi make a lot of money for studios because a lot of people enjoy watching them.

Ecchi anime really don't make much money. At all.

There are a few exceptions here and there but, for the most part, they don't sell.
Dec 2, 2019 3:37 PM

Oct 2017
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Dolabella said:

There are a few exceptions here and there but, for the most part, they don't sell.
My bad. I'm uninformed on that.

You get what I'm trying to say though, right?
Dec 2, 2019 3:46 PM

Apr 2010
Hrybami said:
I disagree on the oversaturated part. I believe we could fit way more trash in the seasonal charts.

Haha probably wouldn't doubt that.

_Ako_ said:
Zeroflamez said:

Who hurt you?

Is that hard to know basic common sense?

Common sense about what? you came in here called me a faggot because of my opinion and some how you apparently think just because I have a Shounen character as my profile picture that I haven't seen nothing but Shounens. Sorry dude try again.

MrHatz4Patz said:
Nah, I think the odds are that it's just as bad as it's always been. It's just no cares about the forgettable mediocre old shows, so when we look back all we see is mostly the actually good stuff that people liked. Honestly, I'm betting that 10 to 20 years down the line we'll see people saying that exact same thing sighting this as part of the "golden era."

There were bad shows in every era but Westerners had significantly less choices 10+ years ago. Back when I started watching Anime we only had access to so much. Not everything was fan subbed or Licensed so we couldn't watch everything in a whole season so it filtered a lot of stuff out.
Dec 2, 2019 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
Dolabella said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

I do, but the thing is, a lot of these shows are flopping. These studios are pumping out isekai like crazy and they simply aren't selling.

Surprisingly, something that sold quite well was KonoSuba. A parody of modern isekai...
Dec 2, 2019 3:53 PM

Nov 2008
LN Isekai is to blame, that fad needs to end especially with disc sales being almost extinct, despite the industry as a whole growing like a raging wildfire.

Dec 2, 2019 4:01 PM

Apr 2010
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Dolabella said:

I do, but the thing is, a lot of these shows are flopping. These studios are pumping out isekai like crazy and they simply aren't selling.

Surprisingly, something that sold quite well was KonoSuba. A parody of modern isekai...

Thats exactly why I question these Isekai anime keep getting made..
Dec 2, 2019 4:12 PM

Feb 2015
Zeroflamez said:
Common sense about what? you came in here called me a faggot because of my opinion and some how you apparently think just because I have a Shounen character as my profile picture that I haven't seen nothing but Shounens. Sorry dude try again.

ahh sorry if calling you a fag offended you. I say fag in substitute for dude just cause... There's no harm on that. Also, your profile pfp invalidates your opinion, so yah sorry if the word shounenfag offended you cause you know, shounen is basically the absolute filth in the medium
Dec 2, 2019 4:15 PM

Jan 2013
Xstasy said:
That has always been a case, most of the old anime sucks as well it's just that now a days more anime is being produced so naturally there is going to be more bad anime.
There are usually a couple of good shows every season so just watch them and ignore the rest.

The biggest problem that plagues anime industry right now are incomplete adaptations and the fact that most anime are nothing more than advertisements for the source material.
>That has always been a case, most of the old anime sucks as well
>most
Really? Come on now.

Yudina said:

Agreed, you can thank mecha anime/manga for that.
CabronDec 2, 2019 4:19 PM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 2, 2019 4:17 PM

May 2018
Ahh shit here we go again. OK boomer.
Dec 2, 2019 4:17 PM

Apr 2010
_Ako_ said:
Zeroflamez said:

ahh sorry if calling you a fag offended you. I say fag in substitute for dude just cause... There's no harm on that. Also, your profile pfp invalidates your opinion, so yah sorry if the word shounenfag offended you cause you know, shounen is basically the absolute filth in the medium

Lol what? no harm in calling random people faggot as a substitute for dude? That's something you do with your buddies joking around not to random people on the internet. Shounen Fag doesn't offend me either and it appears that someone REALLY hurt your feelings man. You're getting real hostile with me for no apparent reason. Did me calling your precious Light Novels bad and generic really make you get that salty? I never said Shounens can't be bad by the way.
Dec 2, 2019 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
Zeroflamez said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

They're being made to sell more novels, but it's a really roundabout way of advertising your product worldwide.

If these shows were insanely popular on streaming sites, sure, but not even there are they making bank.
This shit is straight-up unsalable.
Dec 2, 2019 4:24 PM

Apr 2010
Hoppy said:
LN Isekai is to blame, that fad needs to end especially with disc sales being almost extinct, despite the industry as a whole growing like a raging wildfire.

That's my issue. There are tons of great things to adapt but they want to keep limiting themselves to Light Novels.

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Zeroflamez said:

They're being made to sell more novels, but it's a really roundabout way of advertising your product worldwide.

If these shows were insanely popular on streaming sites, sure, but not even there are they making bank.
This shit is straight-up unsalable.

These show's aren't even getting good rating on MAL. It makes me wonder why these people on this thread continue to cape for these adaptions so much. Everything is rated 6 or below nearly every season except for the outliers. Very rarely is anything an 8+.
Dec 2, 2019 4:30 PM

Feb 2015
Zeroflamez said:
_Ako_ said:

Lol what? no harm in calling random people faggot as a substitute for dude? That's something you do with your buddies joking around not to random people on the internet. Shounen Fag doesn't offend me either and it appears that someone REALLY hurt your feelings man. You're getting real hostile with me for no apparent reason. Did me calling your precious Light Novels bad and generic really make you get that salty? I never said Shounens can't be bad by the way.

I'm not getting hostile to you, this how I've replied to threads like this for like how many times now? Even the thread title is ripped-off from Digibro for whatever fucking reason which makes me chuckle. I never was siding with LNfags nor whoever you think I'm siding with to prove your whatever argument that I'm somewhat tilted... It's just that not because you prefer shounen and all you can pretty much watch is Dr.Stone and hail it to heavens doesn't mean that Anime Industry is Over Saturated with trash now days cause it's not filled X that you like.
Dec 2, 2019 4:32 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
First of all, that's a lot of genres you're painting with a very broad of brush. There's always going to be something that's going to be prevalent over everything else regardless of what industry were talking about; how you thing Apple's worth a trillion dollars...

It's entirely to do with what's popular, and honestly i prefer to the ideological approach the entertainment industry has taken in the West, as much as I personally would love mecha to make a strong comeback. Anyway, why focus on the things you don't like? Soo much stuff comes out nowadays that no matter how niche your tastes are, there's likely plenty to watch.
Dec 2, 2019 4:53 PM

Feb 2018
Zeroflamez said:

MrHatz4Patz said:

There were bad shows in every era but Westerners had significantly less choices 10+ years ago. Back when I started watching Anime we only had access to so much. Not everything was fan subbed or Licensed so we couldn't watch everything in a whole season so it filtered a lot of stuff out.

So to be clear here, the issue is that more of the mediocre shows are getting translated now? Like, what's the issue then? You don't have to watch it, and there's clearly a market for it if it keeps getting made.

Dec 2, 2019 6:41 PM

Apr 2010
MrHatz4Patz said:
Zeroflamez said:

So to be clear here, the issue is that more of the mediocre shows are getting translated now? Like, what's the issue then? You don't have to watch it, and there's clearly a market for it if it keeps getting made.

You're right, I don't have to watch them and I don't. The issue is there's more mediocre than good. You can even look at the rating on the MAL seasonal charts. Most shows are 6 and below.

BatoKusanagi said:
First of all, that's a lot of genres you're painting with a very broad of brush. There's always going to be something that's going to be prevalent over everything else regardless of what industry were talking about; how you thing Apple's worth a trillion dollars...

It's entirely to do with what's popular, and honestly i prefer to the ideological approach the entertainment industry has taken in the West, as much as I personally would love mecha to make a strong comeback. Anyway, why focus on the things you don't like? Soo much stuff comes out nowadays that no matter how niche your tastes are, there's likely plenty to watch.

No I still can find 4-5 new Anime a year to watch so I don't completely focus on the bad. But the mediocre out weighs the good.

_Ako_ said:
Zeroflamez said:

I'm not getting hostile to you, this how I've replied to threads like this for like how many times now? Even the thread title is ripped-off from Digibro for whatever fucking reason which makes me chuckle. I never was siding with LNfags nor whoever you think I'm siding with to prove your whatever argument that I'm somewhat tilted... It's just that not because you prefer shounen and all you can pretty much watch is Dr.Stone and hail it to heavens doesn't mean that Anime Industry is Over Saturated with trash now days cause it's not filled X that you like.

I don't even watch Digi bro, and although it's fair for you to assume I ripped the title off, it doesn't mean that I intentionally did it because he made a video about it and I want to be "cool". I don't even like Dr Stone nor have I seen it and you really need to learn how to punctuate and put together sentences probably. I got a head ache trying to make sense of what you typed. As I said I don't have a problem with Light Novel Adaptions or whatever else is popular now being created. I just think the industry is limiting itself by producing more of the same thing instead of producing different things. Also for someone calling me a Shounen Fag you have an awful lot of Light Novel adaptions in your list. I guess I did hit a soft spot?
Dec 2, 2019 6:55 PM

Sep 2011
One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Taste is subjective.
Dec 2, 2019 7:04 PM

Feb 2018
Zeroflamez said:
MrHatz4Patz said:

You're right, I don't have to watch them and I don't. The issue is there's more mediocre than good. You can even look at the rating on the MAL seasonal charts. Most shows are 6 and below.

But my point is that we're just seeing more of the mediocre majority that has always existed. I don't think this so much signals a change in the industry so much as what we're seeing of it. Besides, we're at a point where the fandoms big enough that the anime would probably get fansubbed regardless. I mean the manga versions of a lot of these series get fan translations a good long while before the anime is even announced, so that's a good indicator that there's a demand for these stories in the West.
Dec 2, 2019 7:06 PM

Jan 2019
Lol, You have a Demon Slayer Forum picture and you're saying that only Trash is being Pumped out nowadays? This will be interesting. Hopefully it was for laughs.

ghostliness said:
Taste is subjective.

I wouldn't be able to take someone serious if they said Sword Art Online Season 1 was good. I'd immediately assume that they haven't seen much Anime. Also, Honestly, I'd very much think that they are mentally inferior. Or, just a Normie.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperDec 5, 2019 3:34 AM
Dec 2, 2019 7:14 PM

Sep 2011
Water-sama said:
ghostliness said:
Taste is subjective.

I wouldn't be able to take someone serious if they said Sword Art Online Season 1 was good. I'd immediately assume that they haven't seen much Anime. Also, Honestly, I'd very much think that they are mentally inferior. Or, just a Normie.

I mean with all reason being someone can look at something and say it's "good" because it has meaning to them. Like, stepping back I can look at animes I love, like Love Live, and realize it's not great. But, because it has such emotional value to me, I do think it's a good series.
And looking at your recommended list, Mirai Nikki is easily one of my least favorite animes, but I'm not going to think you're mentally inferior to me for liking it.
Taste is subjective. If I ever argue with someone it's almost always withing good humor.
Dec 2, 2019 7:17 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Water-sama said:
ghostliness said:
Taste is subjective.

You pointing out that you're a judgemental prick doesn't really change anything that he's saying, though, so I don't see how this is relevant.

Dec 2, 2019 7:20 PM
Jul 2018
If there's one thing that is trash nowadays is that people talk about the same damn problems all the time when it comes to anime. Including the likes of:
+ Anime is not cartoon
+ Dubs suck, subs rule
+ Anime is not for kids
+ This anime is overrated and that anime is underrated
+ Your waifu is trash and my waifu is better
and finally...
+ This thread and many other threads that contain the stuff I listed above
Dec 2, 2019 7:26 PM

Oct 2010
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Zeroflamez said:

I dunno jal90's tastes but it might or might not be a joke depending on their tastes.

Schrödinger's shitpost. It's both a joke and not.

To be honest, I think OP's views about slice of life are super reductive. And in part this is because the term can't be properly reduced. I love slice of life. I love Azumanga Daioh, Cowboy Bebop, Mushishi, Yuru Camp, Girls' last tour, Only yesterday, Sora no Woto, Chihayafuru. All of them are different and approach routine in clearly distinct ways, with different core values and unique viewpoints about life, moral and emotional significance. Some are about learning and finding motivation, others are about lazing out, others are about finding refuge in routine. Some are about friendship, some about love, some about loneliness. Some have fights and stakes, some don't. Some are about connecting with the characters, some about connecting with an overall mood or an environment.

When people mention slice of life, they usually mean a very specific sort of. And I have no doubt any reductive approach is inaccurate in any genre or label, but it's particularly untrue for this one because slice of life is literally a blank canvas that allows any kind of focus and interpretation as long as it portrays and observes routine.

I was less serious about the whole "oversaturation" of power fantasies, it doesn't really bother me, I like the few I've tried, the rest I can ignore. But that they haven't stopped existing and being popular is quite true, they typically have a wide audience, so their presence in the medium is guaranteed.
jal90Dec 2, 2019 7:30 PM
Dec 2, 2019 7:46 PM

Oct 2017
@Zeroflamez

Uh... not really I mean that was the whole reason anime started to end up on TV was the OVA market crashed as Japan economically declined. Physical sales aren't really super high. You rarely see them lots are really just again promotional material to get people to buy manga. At the end of the day they already are testing them in manga and LN where anime gets most of its content from. Still it's not like you don't have a few occasional unique originals. Next year has a lot of potential for that side of the industry. I mean it's not like the 80's or 90's were just filled with genre variety they had their own trends that they kept to. Ideally sure the industry makes tons of varied shows for a variety of audiences but I just don't see the feasibility for it.
Dec 2, 2019 7:59 PM

Jul 2017
Alot of these posts are shitting on the OP, tuff. But to be honest it is an opinion thing and in my opinion i like the shows I watch, but I'm sort of picky.
Dec 2, 2019 8:03 PM

May 2009
jal90 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Schrödinger's shitpost. It's both a joke and not.
Ahh, Schrödinger's shitpost, the worst best kind of shitpost.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 2, 2019 8:16 PM

Apr 2010
TolkienFan365 said:
@Zeroflamez

Uh... not really I mean that was the whole reason anime started to end up on TV was the OVA market crashed as Japan economically declined. Physical sales aren't really super high. You rarely see them lots are really just again promotional material to get people to buy manga. At the end of the day they already are testing them in manga and LN where anime gets most of its content from. Still it's not like you don't have a few occasional unique originals. Next year has a lot of potential for that side of the industry. I mean it's not like the 80's or 90's were just filled with genre variety they had their own trends that they kept to. Ideally sure the industry makes tons of varied shows for a variety of audiences but I just don't see the feasibility for it.

Yeah but that was then, this is now. Japan's economy is doing very well and so is Anime. It wouldn't hurt much to experiment a bit with different audiences. Just because something didn't sell when it was publishing doesn't mean it can't be reintroduced and have success with fans today.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
7 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
21 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

28 by LenRea »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
31 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.