Forum Settings
Forums

Is sword art online as bad as some people make it to be

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 27, 2019 2:39 AM

Jul 2019
Nah, not really. SAO gets a bit too much hate imo. Mostly probably by people who jump on the hate train just to look cool. First half was pretty fine, Id say. They tried to tackle some good themes and all. It was well-produced for the most part (Even looked a bit unique back then, until everyone started going with the "A-1 artstyle". OST had some Yuki Kajiura going for it, so yeah, had some good tracks. But then the second arc happened, and my opinion of it went down by a lot. Still wont call it trash though. 6/10
Sep 27, 2019 6:07 AM

Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Tomwilde4 said:
I seen alot of people saying SAO isnt as good as what it seems to be, im dabbling with the idea of watching it but dont wanna waste my time,
what makes this show so good or so bad and is it overall worth watching
I doubt it's as bad as other people say it is. I haven't watched the first season (which I dropped for premise reasons, i.e. not why other people rag on it), and I found the second season enjoyable.

I'd definitely advise you to try out the show yourself, and not listen to the crowd for your opinion. This could be said for any show, honestly.

Jus1294 said:
season 2 was ok until Kirito got involved
I'd say the second season largely got better when Kirito wasn't involved, with the exception of like one scene.

MrZawa said:
S2 was okay in the first half again, and again I didn't really like the second part.
(also to @Jus1294) Why do you think the second part (or more accurately, the third arc) of SAO II was less enjoyable? I liked that arc the most of the three.

It was more when he got involved with GGO than outside of the game. Him still being op'd inside of a game where he logically shouldn't have been was irritating.
What a beautiful Duwang
Sep 27, 2019 1:59 PM

Sep 2018
From a general point of view, every technical aspect is done in a way that will make you wanna hurt yourself.

But i did end up enjoying some parts, for their edgy or sillyness and thats why its not a 1/10.
Sep 27, 2019 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
1. avoid wasting time
2. ask for opinions/advice on SAO on MAL

OP, you gotta pick one or the other
Sep 27, 2019 2:15 PM

Oct 2018
No, it's pretty good actually. Have watched it twice, someday I need to watch it a third time.
Sep 27, 2019 2:42 PM
May 2018
I was only able to endure first half of first season...

Honestly, the biggest problem I have with SAO is how much of a >>self-insert<< anime it is - like, no matter what the only thing that matters is Kirito, and how many girls he will connect with in some way.

Like a harem that tries really hard to seem like something "higher".

I don't blame those who like it, but to me, it is such a cheap series, so to speak.
Sep 27, 2019 2:57 PM

Jul 2019
It's a little overrated in my opinion. I remember when I learned that it was so popular, I was really surprised. I thought that season 1 and 2 were okay. What I really like is Sword Art Online: Alicization because it's kind of different and I liked the new characters.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 27, 2019 4:27 PM

Dec 2018
Rule number 1: You don't know if a show is good until you've seen it yourself.

SAO isn't great, but watchable and ocassionally enjoyable. The pacing and characters aren't great and the OST is probably the only good thing in the whole show.
Oregairu is life
Sep 27, 2019 7:17 PM

Nov 2008
Zelkiiro said:
It's bad. Like, Michael Bay Transformers bad.

Don't listen to him; it's ridiculous to accuse SAO of such crimes. :|

Sep 27, 2019 9:28 PM
Haru Choi

Mar 2012
I feel like the first season of it was pretty good. I actually really liked it, but I myself don't judge anime's on others reviews, mind you i dont really like the other seasons so...

I mean there have been animes where people have told me it was horrible and yet i watched it and liked it, or Some animes people bug and bug me to watch because they think its the best anime ever, and than it ends up in my dropped list because it isn't my cup of tea.

I say watch it and find out for yourself if you like it or not.

Sep 27, 2019 9:55 PM
Jul 2018
ChiMur said:
The answer is no, it's not as bad as you may hear. The first half of season 1 is entertaining, the second half is less so.
I think you should always decide for yourself, what to watch and what to think about it.

^ This is the nicest way to word this truth ^

Sword art online is the greatest betrayal of all anime, You get this idyllic adventure made up of the stuff all kids daydreamed about. Then someone gets the bright idea to say "we better move on from this awesomeness or people will get bored". So they quickly run into a back room, grab some plot points and sparkly glue, and give you an absolutely mundane second half of season 1.

I still say go watch it though, feeling that heart ache is a requirement for developing any kind of sane standards in anime, no matter what your preferences are. Like a right of passage, FEEL THE BURN!

HaXXspetten said:

I disagree. I think SAO's season 1 second half was such a drop in quality, it makes you feel lied to. Like being in a relationship with someone you adore, then they turn out to be super shitty. You have to talk about those things to get over them, and a lot of people are just stuck in the anger bit of dealing with their grief.
Sep 27, 2019 10:16 PM
Oct 2016
So when I first started watching SAO I thought it was pretty good. I think the anime started out great but it got shitty as it progressed. One thing that annoyed me and idr where in the series it happened but Kirito just kinda like dissapeared for some time and they focused on some side characters. Then the last episode of the season or series, he just popped back in at like the last moment. I thought that part was garbage. I couldn't tell you when I stopped watching.
Sep 27, 2019 10:19 PM

May 2016
No it’s not. People are way too toxic and negative for no reason
Sep 27, 2019 10:27 PM

Sep 2017
Yes, have a nice day comrade. In reality, it's not that bad: Of course SAO isn't a masterpiece but neither a trash show.

RogueCitizen64 said:
Don't make up your opinion without watching a show first. The opinion of others is entirely irrelevant here.
No, that is what forums are all about, to discuss topics.

TomatoSempaiSep 27, 2019 10:35 PM

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Sep 27, 2019 10:32 PM

Sep 2017
Chrome_Falcon said:
It is not devoid of problems. But if you want to know the answer to your question, read this article -

https://animemotivation.com/why-sword-art-online-is-hated/

It gives very good arguments for the most part.
I don't know, AM just covers the top of the iceberg (as always), he tends to (or his public is) the mainstream/casual anime watcher. Some "haters" have also some arguments against SAO and he doesn't even adress them, or at least mentions them.

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Sep 27, 2019 10:55 PM

May 2009
AsukiChoi said:
I feel like the first season of it was pretty good. I actually really liked it, but I myself don't judge anime's on others reviews, mind you i dont really like the other seasons so...

I mean there have been animes where people have told me it was horrible and yet i watched it and liked it, or Some animes people bug and bug me to watch because they think its the best anime ever, and than it ends up in my dropped list because it isn't my cup of tea.

I say watch it and find out for yourself if you like it or not.
Yep. I've had that happen to me a lot.

FMAB and RahXephon and Infinite Ryvius are still somewhere in my PTW/On-Hold, while instead I watched and liked (among other things) Four Rhythm and The Asterisk War. Heck, without knowing any more information I ended up watching Angel Beats and Beyond the Boundary because of haters making me intrigued.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 27, 2019 11:15 PM

Oct 2018
Oh sh*t, here we go again.

IMO it's not bad at all, I enjoyed it very much, even when I'd re-watched it. I can definitely see the reason people don't like it, but it's still a good one.

Incoming retards saying "says the guy with xy in his favorites"
Sep 30, 2019 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
I really enjoyed the start despite putting it off years ago when anime was popular among my geek friends until the damsel in distress fuckery
Sep 30, 2019 3:52 AM

Sep 2019
Yes it's terrible just watch digibro videos if you wana know why.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by Caciulacdlac »»
21 seconds ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 8 hours ago

14 by Bandulf »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 10 hours ago

13 by xthewarwithinx »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 55 minutes ago

11 by bevarnow »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

10 by Daviljoe193 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.