Forums

"I want to cherish you so I won't have sex with you"

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 20, 2019 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
operationvalkyri said:
_Ridley_ said:
Acting like the whore-madonna complex is unique to Japanese otaku subculture is so amusing I may never stop laughing. That's so old and Western a concept that Freud wrote about it.

Some of you have never read any feminist theory, and it shows. What you're describing isn't Japanese, it's patriarchy, and it's just about everywhere.

Very much this. Not a Japan thing. Even Twilight did it, for God's sake.

Wasn't the author a Mormon and wanted to shove her ideals down teenage girls throats?

And no, I don't like the idea of promiscuity in a more extreme form or encouraging young people that they sleep with the first person, who wants to. For many people, sex is also emotionally very intimate, especially with their first partner or in a relationship.
Truth is, most people are neither a madonna nor a whore and people, who choose that they don't want to have sex do this either because of personal reasons, or because they are more on the demi/asexual-side. I speak of people, who choose that and not those, who are forced to, because they are always rejected.

But in some anime these aren't portrayed as choices, but as an ideal.
These "virgin girls" are sometimes portrayed as painfully innocent and naive, like they came from 1900 and giggle everytime and turn red or act like people violated her holy innocence, when someone mentions sex or sexual organs in any way lol. These girls, or all of these people, become somehow annoying, if they are older than 13 or 14.
Although maybe this behavior holds some truth for the typical Japanese school girls, I dunno. ^^"
removed-userSep 20, 2019 12:22 PM
Sep 20, 2019 12:23 PM
Jun 2019
good topic for discussion. I think it's that way, otaku thought that teen romance is in this way
Sep 20, 2019 12:49 PM

Jul 2014
This happens in BL manga as well (common plot point to force drama down the readers throat) so I don't think it's an otaku thing but a human thing that just hasn't properly died out yet
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Sep 20, 2019 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
Victinimad said:
This happens in BL manga as well (common plot point to force drama down the readers throat) so I don't think it's an otaku thing but a human thing that just hasn't properly died out yet

Boys Love is often a very conservative heterosexual relationship in disguise.
Sep 20, 2019 3:20 PM

May 2018
NeoYami said:

Wtf 😕 rape happens when someone forces itself on other, without their consent

See my remark "in anime usually".

NeoYami said:
sex is a way to pleasure yourself and your partner

NeoYami said:
yes its primal but isnt a bad thing

And if in your real life it's in the same time "primal" and absolutely, definitely, kind of, maybe, from certain point of view "not a bad thing"...your statement sounds a bit suspicious.

And if not obvious - I was joking the both times.

About the main topic.
This is Japan, eventually this is the polite way to refuse...thus the OP is going a bit overboard. Also Mari Okada just likes to force drama out of nothing.

Sep 20, 2019 3:32 PM

Jul 2017
stupid moralist view of things - I don't know about this anime you're talking about but: relevant

rinbaud: "morality is the weakness of the brain. acquired without any reflexion, it prints itself inside us at our detriment"

though this character is probably some teen, I know japanese are quite moralist in their ways of doing things(even if they're one of the best nations) and I would never want to live there. exept with other immoralists.

I mean it looks like I went of topic but I didn't at all. it's as simple as "japanese's morality" and I don't like this morality. even my country(france)'s morality is a morality of weaklings. (the strongs must subjet to the weaks and be egals to weaks gnagnagna that's not living in the real at all) but no nation's morality is good anyway since it's morality exept if it isn't dogmatic and it changes (unlike christianity's).
ZehennagelSep 20, 2019 3:36 PM
Sep 20, 2019 3:49 PM

Feb 2017
I'm sure Japan really open about this stuff and doesn't shy away to highlight this matter, it's more of how this trope appeal to mass audience. I must say I kind of hate it though since things like sex is happening like everywhere except for most conservative countries
Sep 20, 2019 3:53 PM

Mar 2016
japanese media advances that view since japan still has a very puritan culture, similar to 1950s america except japan never got the counter-culture movement that completely changed america in the 1960s. sure there are still americans that think this way, but it doesn't compare to japan in scale

u can see how well it works if the existence of hentai is any indication lol
Aure0linSep 20, 2019 3:57 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Sep 20, 2019 5:11 PM

Aug 2018
alshu said:
NeoYami said:

Wtf 😕 rape happens when someone forces itself on other, without their consent

NeoYami said:
sex is a way to pleasure yourself and your partner

NeoYami said:
yes its primal but isnt a bad thing

And if in your real life it's in the same time "primal" and absolutely, definitely, kind of, maybe, from certain point of view "not a bad thing"...your statement sounds a bit suspicious.

And if not obvious - I was joking the both times.

About the main topic.
This is Japan, eventually this is the polite way to refuse...thus the OP is going a bit overboard. Also Mari Okada just likes to force drama out of nothing.

I didnt get the "see my remark "in anime usually"
How it is suspicious I said it was a primal thing and not bad, because primal behaviour is often connected to violent and retrograde
Sep 20, 2019 5:34 PM

Jan 2013
I haven't seen the show in question but I see zero problem if the guy isn't into casual sex and doesn't want to do it with a girl unless they're both willing to commit to each other long term. If waiting another year or two until they graduate highschool (or whatever the case may be) is a deal breaker then maybe the relationship wasn't so strong in the first place. And of course there is the idea that sex is something that you do after marriage so we're basically talking about a more mild version of that.

I definitely wouldn't see it as an insult unless you put the girl in a position where she is willing to commit to you and rejecting her makes it seem like you don't feel the same way. But on the other hand if the girl is just forcing herself to do it because of social pressure or because she thinks you want to even though she's not ready yet, then turning her down might be the correct option.
Open and honest dialogue is the key here. Try to understand and respect the other person's point of view.
Sep 20, 2019 11:02 PM

Dec 2014
Indeed, Japan has a fascination with purity and chastity, especially the otaku... yet to be honest, I can't count the number of comments and threads that would ask about if X female anime character is still a virgin, and put an accent on it as something that matters, and her not being a virgin anymore and being ''used goods'' was seen as a negative... And those weren't Japanese. I see them all the time in anime comments, manga comments... I think I saw a bunch on this forum itself. So it's something that is adopted together with the otaku culture, so it's not ethnic... But I notice that most of those guys have something in common - most of them are teenagers around 13yo-18yo.

As for the ''you should cherish yourself more...'' Is a bit more complicated than you make it seem. First of all, when you see this it's mostly in shows about underage teens? So obviously you can't go and promote sex between children like is nothing. Japan, as liberal and weird as it is, it still has some laws and some limits. Also, if you really look deep into it, often you will discover that this troupe is used in manga written by females. And the anime you mentioned is such an example. So you basically have an adult, mature woman creating a situation in which the boy would say something that a woman would want to hear in that situation... Is not a secret that often women regret their early, and especially their first sexual experience. No matter what peoples say you are not prepared for sex at 15 ... that's nonsense. You are not mature enough for such a decision. But let's not enter in such debates. Anyway, so what happens is that you the female author creates a situation where the young girl is said not hurry to do a mistake and wait for a day you are more prepared - cherish yourself more... Is something that she thinks a young girl in that situation should do or is projection - something she wishes would have done or heard herself at some point in her life.

Anyway, is a complex problem... is sexism ... Like ''You need to remain pure and untouched forever cuz I am sexist and love virgins!'' It's more about adults trying to send a message to their way younger readers, about responsibility and dignity, is about wise decisions, is... Peoples must understand that this world is big, and not everyone shares the sexual liberation or hook up/one night stand culture of the West. From an outsider point of view, the Western culture puts too little value on sex... it makes it really cheap and irrelevant. It trows out of the equation the idea of compatibility, love, connection, trust and knowing each other, for an as numerous as a possible number of superficial, purely physical encounters... And when I talk about cheap sex, I am not using a metaphor... When you find sex partners on Craiglist, the same platform from which you buy second-hand furniture, thats really low... So of course that if you are from West a man refusing sex and telling the girl to cherish herself more may sound weird, but outside of the Western world, there are other ways of seeing the world too.
Sep 20, 2019 11:12 PM

Jun 2015
Araburu is full of lines no human in his right mind would ever consider saying.

Also in the scene that sentence is a rejection if nothing else. You're reading too much into it.
Sep 21, 2019 3:33 AM

May 2018
NeoYami said:

The literally go and see my remark "in anime usually". Like what usually happens in anime.

NeoYami said:

How it is suspicious I said it was a primal thing and not bad, because primal behaviour is often connected to violent and retrograde

I am joking here but it sounds creepy because it could be used as an excuse for predatory behaviour.
Sep 21, 2019 8:03 AM

Aug 2018
alshu said:
NeoYami said:

The literally go and see my remark "in anime usually". Like what usually happens in anime.

NeoYami said:

I am joking here but it sounds creepy because it could be used as an excuse for predatory behaviour.

Oh ok, I didnt think of the children...they still cant take full responsability for their actions so they cant be involved in this topic
Sep 21, 2019 8:26 AM

May 2018
NeoYami said:

Oh ok, I didnt think of the children...they still cant take full responsability for their actions so they cant be involved in this topic

This time I don't get it.
How is this relevant to anime conventions?
Sep 21, 2019 10:24 AM

Aug 2018
alshu said:
NeoYami said:

alshu said:
NeoYami said:

😐...Nice question...😕
I dont know it myself
Oct 6, 2019 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
I think there are other ways of looking at it.

In the context of the show, the dude wasn't sexually attracted to her.. he admits it, and sexuality is such a nebulous area where you never know what attracts you, what turns you off, what pacing (excuse the dull pun) you'd like in your courtship and seduction, what or how you'd like to seduce each other.

And, in a relationship which isn't based on sexual attraction right at the beginning, sometimes you just want the time to be right, there has to be an appropriate build-up between the couple to 'do it'. Otherwise, it will end up being a very sad experience for the two. And for that, both have to be on the same level of sexual attraction to each other (more or less, but the more closer you are on the scale of finding each other sexually desirable, the better the dance of love).

That is why he says 'I want to cherish you'. Sometimes, couples also like the giddy anticipatory period where you wait wait and wait until it happens.. and truly find a moment or time when you are sure about your love for them and then make the move. There is a beauty in such waiting or as the dialogue went "cherishing" too, when the pleasure is delayed and you are driven mad in love / desire for each other. In the case of this show, he wants to fall in love, cherish her as an object of desire and then proceed. He loves her a lot and wants a relationship with her, but is waiting to be attracted to her enough to actually do it.

Sorry my mind is thinking dirty things hehe
removed-userOct 6, 2019 8:54 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

20 by SuperAdventure »»
3 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

13 by MichaelJackson »»
5 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

67 by meyve »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

30 by Shirayukin »»
5 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9071 by appledude1221 »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.