Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 10, 2019 11:16 PM

Feb 2017
A lot of series,heck probably almost all the the series preach about philosophy one way or another and thats all fine and good but the fuckery happens when the story somehow starts to become hypocritical to whatever philosophy its are preaching about.

Have encountered such series? What were those?

For example just recently i came across a very high acclaimed series which literally is about teaching and many of you may have guessed which series im talking about.

Im talking about GTO.

I explained why i think gto is hypocritical in its series discussion thread but i'l just copy paste here.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1800012#msg58300836

foscor70Sep 10, 2019 11:26 PM

Sep 10, 2019 11:20 PM

Jan 2018
This sounds like an interesting question. I'll be watching :0

Wow, that happened in GTO? This is surprising to me. o.o
A treasure the color of the rainbow, the color of happiness
Sep 11, 2019 12:24 AM

May 2018
I don't get @foscor70 .
GTO actually teaches you some life lessons - like that people ARE hypocritical and evil. You must survive them somehow.
And I am deeply antipathic towards Onizuka (thus I dropped the manga) but you can't say that his comic/show is hypocritical - it shows you sincerely how the things are and doesn't hide what a jerk Onizuka is. This is the whole point.

If not obvious this title is a deconstruction of certain school drama tropes.

Yeah there are anime/manga that go against what they preach (some LN adaptations come to mind) but GTO is not one of them.
alshuSep 11, 2019 12:39 AM
Sep 11, 2019 1:57 AM

Feb 2017
alshu said:
I don't get @foscor70 .
GTO actually teaches you some life lessons - like that people ARE hypocritical and evil. You must survive them somehow.
And I am deeply antipathic towards Onizuka (thus I dropped the manga) but you can't say that his comic/show is hypocritical - it shows you sincerely how the things are and doesn't hide what a jerk Onizuka is. This is the whole point.

If not obvious this title is a deconstruction of certain school drama tropes.

Yeah there are anime/manga that go against what they preach (some LN adaptations come to mind) but GTO is not one of them.

Well you do make sense. I totally forgot how the other teacher while teaching about manners and discipline,themselves were molesters and onizuka while being the lead also acted like a hypocrite.

Damn now i get it why this manga is called realistic. Everybody is a freaking hypocrite and imperfect.

Well said bro.
foscor70Sep 11, 2019 2:03 AM

Sep 11, 2019 2:07 AM

Oct 2010
In death note the police is calling kira a murderer, yet they kill criminals too, like lind l taylor. Then, at the end, criminal activity rises high and the police force is incompetent. You may argue that kira too killed innocent people but they got in his way of doing justice, so they were bad.
Sep 11, 2019 2:32 AM

May 2018
foscor70 said:
I totally forgot how the other teacher while teaching about manners and discipline,themselves were molesters and onizuka while being the lead also acted like a hypocrite.

Yeah, I think this is the point.

foscor70 said:
Damn now i get it why this manga is called realistic.

Is not that realistic tho.
It goes excessively overboard with everything and the MC gets out of too many troubles without any consequences - more of a grotesque but it has some very realistic aspects.

foscor70 said:

Well said bro.

So you agree that your example is not of "hypocritical philosophy" but of "how ugly and well accepted by society hypocrisy is"?
Sep 11, 2019 3:13 AM

Sep 2017
It happens a lot in anime. GTO is definitely one of them. The show in general sell cheap sentimentalism to young teens who are dissatisfied with school and they want their teachers to tell them it is all the adult's faults. There is really no critical examination of the structure of schooling system and what is wrong in it, only people getting sorted into good guys (teens) and bad guys (adults).

Another thing anime needs to get rip of is treating female characters as trophies for a harem hero who can act just a little bit nicer (but also often intrusively "nice" -- he has to help you even when you've said you don't fucking need his help.) Imagine someone reading a harem manga and literally getting a sense of moral satisfaction that his avatar in the story is "helping girls out". I mean, nothing against harem fantasy itself, but the idea that you get a harem in return of your moral achievement is completely hypocritical.
Sep 11, 2019 3:22 AM

May 2018
CHC said:
There is really no critical examination of the structure of schooling system and what is wrong in it, only people getting sorted into good guys (teens) and bad guys (adults).

- It actually critics all the society not only school.
- If I remember correctly 70% of the time the teens were the bad guys.

CHC said:

Another thing anime needs to get rip of is treating female characters as trophies for a harem hero who can act just a little bit nicer (but also often intrusively "nice" -- he has to help you even when you've said you don't fucking need his help.)

Isn't this played for the laughs? Like a really sick joke...

I don't know...but you guys make it sound like a different title...is the anime like that?
Never watched it but the manga gave me different vibes from what you are describing.
alshuSep 11, 2019 6:26 AM
Sep 11, 2019 4:39 AM

Jul 2016
For some of these, i'm not sure if it really was hypocritical or me, misunderstanding the movie's message. Like, I was gonna say From Up On Poppy Hill and the semi;colon series, but I honestly don't know.

That said, I can be pretty sure about the Love, Chunibyou & Other Delusions! It simultaneously derides Rikka for her delusions while at the same time endorsing it and never quite settles on a judgement. Like, you've been telling us this whole time that what Rikka is doing is annoying and potentially harmful to others, but then you visually frame it as awesome, cool and sexy. So which is it?!
Sep 11, 2019 4:51 AM

Feb 2010
Shigatsu is trying to tell us that to overcome trauma by reinforcing it, which is just retarded and contradicting.
I probably regret this post by now.

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

26 by traed »»
58 seconds ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 5 hours ago

18 by bucciest »»
2 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 17 minutes ago

6 by GudBoy »»
5 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

72 by bucciest »»
5 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 11 hours ago

44 by TsutanaiFuun »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.