Forum Settings
Forums

Wondering what the average opinion here is on Gainax plots/endings

New
How do you feel about Gainax endings?
Sep 4, 2019 1:03 AM

Jun 2019
For those that don't know (which I'm sure is almost nobody here), people refer to an ending as a Gainax ending when it's a complex, usually purposely underexplained, often supernatural ending. Think Evangelion, which popularised the trope.

Personally, I'm pretty tired of them, but I don't want to make this a biased thread. I want to see what others have to say.

I will say though, that I was talking about this with someone, and they said ''I like that, because I don't want my hand held like a child throughout the plot". As if a plot can't be deep and intriguing without being the way Gainax endings are.

Personally, I like the way Code Geass did it. It used elements of one to give the viewer something to crunch their mind on, but the last 5 or so episodes had nothing to do with it, and it focused on having a more grounded ending that fit with the rest of the show's tune.

So yeah, let me know what you like or don't like about these types of plots or endings.

Sep 4, 2019 2:20 AM

Nov 2017
Well, I liked the endings to Gunbuster, Diebuster, FLCL, Gurren Lagann as well as The End of Evangelion, so... Maybe? I'm not sure I would call any of those 'Gainax endings' despite them literally being endings to Gainax shows. The ending to Revolutionary Girl Utena was maybe a bit gainaxy and I liked that one, but I can't say I'm too fond of the ending to Serial Experiments Lain which is maybe also a bit gainaxy? I suppose I don't quite know.
Sep 4, 2019 2:24 AM

May 2018
But I have different options about theirs entire titles.
For example I liked GunBuster 2, Dead Leaves, Abenobashi Mahou☆Shoutengai, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Ouritsu Uchuugun: Honneamise no Tsubasa but didn't liked GunBuster 1 or will never touch even with a stick the Neon Genesis Evangelion teen melodrama.

I can't generalize like you want me to.

On topic I think that the end should fit the story not be chosen buy some formula "complex, purposely underexplained and supernatural".

By the way the end of Code Geass (because you mentioned it) was kind of fitting but the show itself was a horrible exploitation of "What tropes and dramatic plot twists are popular nowadays?". It went with this to such excess that the story didn't made any sense many many times.
With such type of content it doesn't really matter what the ending will be...
Also isn't the ending of s2 changed in the movies?
alshuSep 4, 2019 3:07 AM
Sep 4, 2019 2:55 AM
Jul 2018
Even kids series Princess Yushie by Gainax which was also supervised by Anno, had an ending close to the apocalypse and reseting, though there was supposed to be a sequel.

Made the series very unique for its genre
Sep 4, 2019 3:08 AM

May 2013
Man, I went into Gunbuster thinking it would be a short and fun series, but that last episode messed up my brain for some reason. On the other hand, I'm kinda used to endings like these as long as they fit the narrative. Going with indifferent.

alshu said:

On topic I think that the end should fit the story not be chosen buy some formula "complex, purposely underexplained and supernatural".

By the way the end of Code Geass (because you mentioned it) was kind of fitting but the show itself was a horrible exploitation of "What tropes and dramatic plot twists are popular nowadays?". It went with this to such excess that the story didn't made any sense many many times.
With such type of content it doesn't really matter what the ending will be...
Also isn't the ending of s2 changed in the movies?
I kinda liked the ending of Code Geass (TV) too, since it ended just the way I wanted. I was laughing at it. Mostly it's do with Lelouch being a rather unlikeable character for me. And yes, it didn't really matter what kind of ending would have been given the content and how the story had evolved.

Regarding the movie, it's more like an alternate continuity. The TV series is its own thing, the movie series is its own (and the supposedly 'official' timeline). There are some differences concerning the fates of some characters during the course of the movies, the ones who are confirmed dead in the TV series.
KreatorXSep 4, 2019 3:12 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Sep 4, 2019 4:34 AM

Dec 2012
I hate them with a burning, firery passion which has caused me to rate down numerous series. Give me conclusiveness or give me death.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 4, 2019 5:34 AM

Jun 2014
I haven't seen many Gainax works, but I didn't like Gunbuster, and Wings of Honneamise was a snorefest.

Sep 4, 2019 5:40 AM

May 2014
Panty and Stocking's ending was great since it was just a troll ending and i didn't mind Evangelion's. I'd say i'm indifferent to them though. None of them had much of an impact on me and i haven't seen many Gainax anime anyways.
Sep 4, 2019 6:11 AM

Nov 2017
It's kind of funny how this type of indecipherable ending has been named after a studio whose shows usually have pretty straightforward endings. Even Evangelion was originally supposed to have a much more traditional, clear-cut ending, which only got scrapped at the last moment. The End of Evangelion still ended up a bit on the gainaxy side of things, but nowhere near the incomprehensibility of the TV-ending.
Sep 4, 2019 6:44 AM
Mar 2018
It depends on how they're executed, but I generally like Gainax endings. I'm someone who would defend them.
Sep 4, 2019 7:02 AM

Nov 2011
I am not sure that everyone will agree that show A had gainax ending and show B had no gainax ending, etc. A complex ending is usually a good thing though, but if it comes from nowhere or too abstract for my brain like NGE TV series, I will hate them.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 4, 2019 8:43 AM

May 2009
I love the Evangelion TV ending and don't think it's confusing or underexplained, but hate End of Evangelion's ending and think it is confusing and poorly-explained.

What should I vote?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 4, 2019 9:16 AM

Jun 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I love the Evangelion TV ending and don't think it's confusing or underexplained, but hate End of Evangelion's ending and think it is confusing and poorly-explained.

What should I vote?

Wow, that's an opinion you don't see often.. Anyway, feel free to vote indifferent if you sometimes like them, and sometimes don't like them.

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

58 by maya2003s »»
33 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

31 by Reecey91 »»
35 seconds ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 1 minute ago

0 by Catalano »»
1 minute ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

15 by Largo_ »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 52 minutes ago

10 by RobertBobert »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.