Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 1, 2019 5:52 AM

Jan 2018
Okay, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high, especially after the egregious attempts at adapting Itou's works in the past (Gyo, Junji Itou Collection). But with that said, there are a few reasons I feel this may be the first successful anime of his work.

1) The color palette. Judging by the trailer, it seems as though the series will be in full black and white. This is a strong choice for this particular story and will help enhance the dismal tone of the subject matter.

2) The soundtrack. Colin Stetson is a phenomenal composer. Having risen to prominence after his work on Hereditary—aka one of the most terrifying horror films of the decade—he's proven to be capable of creating some of the most unsettling soundscapes in the industry.

3) The direction. Hiroshi Nagahama is going to be at the helm, and for those unfamiliar, he's the guy who directed Mushishi. If there's any anime out there that's almost universally respected, even by those who aren't a fan of it, it would have to be that series. Both Mushishi and Uzumaki are highly atmospheric works, and while the former is mostly tranquil, I can see Nagahama's keen eye for detail working extremely well for the dreary, somber tone of Uzumaki.

4) It's only four episodes long. No beating around the bush or prolific exposition. It'll most likely take the best of Uzumaki's 20 chapters and condense them; seeing as many chapters of the manga are standalone, it shouldn't be difficult to weave the entirety of the main plot into such a short runtime.

So, I'm not going to be pissed if it turns out terrible or anything, because Itou's works are the kind that play on the strength of his medium, but I'm actually pretty eager to see how this one turns out. What are you guys' thoughts?
GreyleafSep 1, 2019 5:56 AM

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Sep 1, 2019 8:06 AM
Jul 2017
It’s been confirmed that the series will be in black and white. Someone had a link from another discussion where one of the people working on the project said so. It will be interesting to see an anime fully in black and white. I’ve never seen it done before and I’m surprised that other works haven’t really done this art choice.
Sep 1, 2019 8:17 AM

Jul 2013
I'm still waiting for The Enigma of Amigara Fault to get adapted, easily my favorite Ito work
Sep 1, 2019 8:19 AM

Jun 2015
Phlaryx said:
It’s been confirmed that the series will be in black and white. Someone had a link from another discussion where one of the people working on the project said so. It will be interesting to see an anime fully in black and white. I’ve never seen it done before and I’m surprised that other works haven’t really done this art choice.
Gunbuster did it in its final episode.
Sep 1, 2019 8:20 AM
Jul 2017
Unowen said:
Phlaryx said:
Gunbuster did it in its final episode.

Oh! Haven’t seen that one. Might have to check it out.
Sep 1, 2019 10:49 AM

Jan 2018
bledsoe60 said:
I'm still waiting for The Enigma of Amigara Fault to get adapted, easily my favorite Ito work

Amigara Fault is my second-favorite Itou work. I'd love to see that as well, though it's not nearly long enough for anything longer than a short OVA. But that'd still be really cool.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Sep 1, 2019 3:41 PM

Aug 2018
That's a very good news, finally I added a horror anime on my plan to watch list.
Sep 1, 2019 3:44 PM
May 2019
The animation style itself is so creepy. This looks so damn good already
Sep 2, 2019 7:15 AM
Aug 2018
it seems like I.G. are really putting their ear to the ground for fans and finally getting the message and giving us ito / guro fans what we deserve. A product that emulates his work accurately while doing justice to the guro genre as it has very few forays into the anime world. The guro genre is the last unexplored country in anime, and I feel that should this new uzumaki adaptation be a smash hit, it will usher in a new wave of demand for GOOD, and EFFECTIVE horror anime. I have some slight concern about it airing on Adult Swim. Typically they don't pull a lot of punches when it comes to gore, but who knows what could happen if it has to air on national television opposed to released as an OVA.
Sep 2, 2019 7:09 PM

Jan 2015
Side by side comparison between the manga and anime

Sep 2, 2019 7:32 PM

Jan 2018

Kirei looks really good in the anime.. tbh, this is all extremely impressive. Ugh, I told myself I wasn't going to get excited over an Itou adaptation, but I'm slowly starting to feel the hype. Please, please, please be good. xD

"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Sep 2, 2019 10:51 PM

Jul 2017
bledsoe60 said:
that's too short to be adapted
Sep 3, 2019 3:16 PM

Jul 2013
FinNote said:
bledsoe60 said:
I was only thinking of a short OVA
Sep 3, 2019 10:15 PM

Jul 2017
bledsoe60 said:
FinNote said:
Since it wouldn't even be one full episode, It doesn't make sense for a studio to design the characters for just a few minutes of animation. The only possible thing is for a bad studio to do it but nobody wants it if It'd suck.
Sep 3, 2019 10:54 PM

Jul 2013
FinNote said:
bledsoe60 said:
Since it wouldn't even be one full episode, It doesn't make sense for a studio to design the characters for just a few minutes of animation. The only possible thing is for a bad studio to do it but nobody wants it if It'd suck.
or as an extra on a dvd or blu-ray which is very common. Hell, Amigara Fault itself was originally just an extra included with Gyo
Sep 3, 2019 11:32 PM

Jan 2018
bledsoe60 said:
FinNote said:
or as an extra on a dvd or blu-ray which is very common. Hell, Amigara Fault itself was originally just an extra included with Gyo

Yeah, I wish I could've rated them separately because I personally hated Gyo, lmao

"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Sep 9, 2019 9:31 AM

Jan 2019
yes, already see the trailer, and its actually good. cant wait for watch it. this adaptation maybe do the right justice we all wanted since the last one so frickin bad tho.

gonna love it if they do some army of one or enigma of amigara vault.
Sep 9, 2019 9:34 AM

Jan 2019
DEVlL said:

the cloud one got me shiver. they gotta the feel of manga.
Sep 10, 2019 5:58 AM

Nov 2014
BasshunterDOTA said:
DEVlL said:

the cloud one got me shiver. they gotta the feel of manga.
I have a really hard time telling apart the screenshots from the anime to the ones from the manga.

Production values-wise Production I.G. (no pun intended) have always put more effort in their work than most studios ever put, so the adaptation is in better hands than J.C. Staff or Studio DEEN.
Sep 10, 2019 6:10 AM

Mar 2015
I think it's safe to say this will be better than the Juni Ito Collection anime. Thank god.
Sep 16, 2019 8:55 AM

Jun 2019
It won't be a good adaptation if they didn't put "walkin' on the spiral" by the pillows as the ending theme. That's what truly matters the most.
ShitasteSep 18, 2019 1:39 PM

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Jan 19, 2020 4:37 PM

Oct 2012
They got one of the most underrated directors around at the helm and from what we've heard an incredible soundtrack. This is gonna be incredible, I'm sure
Feb 3, 2020 2:50 AM
Jul 2018
AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA
Jun 10, 2020 5:46 AM

Aug 2017
I just read the entire manga and damn, I have no idea how they will adapt the best chapters and the chapters that are plot-based after a certain even in......just 4 episodes.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 10, 2020 11:21 AM

Feb 2017
Official twitter account shared some storyboards:
https://twitter.com/UzumakiAnime1/status/1270781882221735936/photo/4

Jul 22, 2020 10:23 PM

Oct 2017
4 episodes for the entire manga is kinda...

More topics from this board

» Any news when it gonna release?

Otaku_Agent008 - Mar 15

19 by Tomaenji »»
Yesterday, 6:59 AM

» Will Uzumaki revolutionize the anime industry? ( 1 2 3 )

Kanalense - Aug 26, 2023

132 by DeathNote37 »»
May 4, 5:05 AM

» WHEN?!

monke_guy - Jan 6, 2023

39 by monke_guy »»
Apr 1, 7:01 AM

» Recipes for failure ? ( 1 2 )

daywithoutgames - Oct 12, 2021

86 by hypergoob »»
Mar 11, 7:26 AM

Poll: » The 2023 tag removed !!! The wait isn't going to end

the_nitrostorm - Dec 10, 2023

33 by Garvinator »»
Jan 31, 4:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.