Forum Settings
Forums

Netflix is a terrible company that doesn't care about the anime industry whatsoever

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 14, 2019 3:10 PM

Dec 2016
I've said this before, but the "binge watching" thing makes no sense to me... If Netflix simulcasts the anime, then it changes literally nothing for binge watchers, and all it does is bring in more viewers who want to watch it as it airs. The full collection will still be there afterwards for people who want to binge watch it. No idea why they're sticking with this dumb model of not simulcasting, and this is coming from someone who prefers to binge watch.

Overall, though, I'd still say Netflix has been a net positive for anime. I have a Netflix subscription not because I want to watch anime but rather because I want to watch other shows on Netflix, but the fact that there is anime on Netflix has led me to watch some anime I normally wouldn't have bothered to watch. And as some people pointed out, Netflix has a huge subscriber base, so it is giving a lot of new exposure to anime.

What's the difference?
Aug 14, 2019 3:37 PM

Aug 2016
Still a better company than Crunchyroll.

How is that High Guardian Spice coming along by the way?
Aug 14, 2019 3:38 PM
Jul 2018
Wavey_Nooby said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

You can't really call Netflix trash then proceed to praise KissAnime.
KA is, possibly, the single worst anime site in existance. All it has is quantity. No quality of service, whatsoever.

At least torrent the damn shows...
Kissanime isn't perfect by any means. But as long as you have a good adblocker and know what servers to use it's perfect. I can find literally any anime I want on there regardless of the publisher or IP holder. Torrenting movies and shows is not worth the trouble considering the legal ramifications involved. What if I wanted to download the entire Dragon Ball GT series(trash) via torrent overnight and my VPN stopped working. Low chance but next thing I'll know I'll have Toei or Funimation emailing me about a lawsuit. IMO torrenting files is only good for Old video games that most publishers don't care about anymore.

No one is going to knock on your door for torrenting your anime, but if you truly must stream, then by the love of all the Gods in this universe and the next... use Anime Twist or something. Not KissAnime.

PS: The first 16 episodes of GT are actually good.
Aug 14, 2019 4:46 PM

Jul 2019
Daemon said:
I've said this before, but the "binge watching" thing makes no sense to me... If Netflix simulcasts the anime, then it changes literally nothing for binge watchers, and all it does is bring in more viewers who want to watch it as it airs. The full collection will still be there afterwards for people who want to binge watch it. No idea why they're sticking with this dumb model of not simulcasting, and this is coming from someone who prefers to binge watch.

what do you think the cost comparison is between licensing a currently airing program on a weekly basis vs licensing a completed series after it's off the air? and how many people do you think exist who don't have a netflix sub for the sole reason of not simulcasting but would sign up if they did? let's be real, maybe a couple dozen?

unless weekly licensing was the exact same price as buying up the finished season, it would be a fiscally retarded decision on their part.
Aug 14, 2019 5:29 PM

Dec 2016
ubernewb said:
what do you think the cost comparison is between licensing a currently airing program on a weekly basis vs licensing a completed series after it's off the air? and how many people do you think exist who don't have a netflix sub for the sole reason of not simulcasting but would sign up if they did? let's be real, maybe a couple dozen?

unless weekly licensing was the exact same price as buying up the finished season, it would be a fiscally retarded decision on their part.

Not sure about how big the cost difference is, but I would suspect not much, if any at all. IIRC, Netflix actually simulcasted Violet Evergarden in almost every country except for the US, so they clearly had the capability to do so but just chose not to.

What's the difference?
Aug 14, 2019 5:33 PM

Oct 2014
Daemon said:
ubernewb said:

Not sure about how big the cost difference is, but I would suspect not much, if any at all. IIRC, Netflix actually simulcasted Violet Evergarden in almost every country except for the US, so they clearly had the capability to do so but just chose not to.
They tried it, and decided it wasn't fruitful to do outside of Japan. You may not understand binge watching and that's fine, but that's what their 140 million subscribers are built on and what Netflix have decided to do for anime going forward.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Aug 14, 2019 5:36 PM

Dec 2016
Lunilah said:
They tried it, and decided it wasn't fruitful to do outside of Japan. You may not understand binge watching and that's fine, but that's what their 140 million subscribers are built on and have decided to do for anime going forward.

I do understand binge watching, and like I said, it's actually my preferred way to watch anime. The thing I don't understand is why Netflix can't do both, because simulcasting does not deprive anyone of binge watching if they want to.

It would only make sense if simulcasting actually did cost more like that other guy was saying, but Netflix's broadcasting of Violet Evergarden makes me think that they have the rights to simulcast if they want to anyway. Also, similar streaming platforms like Amazon Prime Video simulcast.

What's the difference?
Aug 14, 2019 5:38 PM

Oct 2014
Daemon said:
Lunilah said:
They tried it, and decided it wasn't fruitful to do outside of Japan. You may not understand binge watching and that's fine, but that's what their 140 million subscribers are built on and have decided to do for anime going forward.

I do understand binge watching, and like I said, it's actually my preferred way to watch anime. The thing I don't understand is why Netflix can't do both, because simulcasting does not deprive anyone of binge watching if they want to.

It would only make sense if simulcasting actually did cost more like that other guy was saying, but Netflix's broadcasting of Violet Evergarden makes me think that they have the rights to simulcast if they want to anyway. Also, similar streaming platforms like Amazon Prime Video simulcast.
Amazon Prime Video hasn't marketed themselves with the binging philosophy like Netflix has, and is completely dwarfed by them regardless. If streaming Violet Evergarden week to week wasn't fruitful for their audience, then they aren't going to continue doing week to week broadcasts. Simple as that.

Aug 14, 2019 5:44 PM

Nov 2008
BlancaXLobo said:
I need to atch Enter the Anime just to heard, if it is true. Also, don't you think the documentary's fault was mainly from the ones who made it, who aren't Netflix? Netflix just put the money.

Also, the only bad thing about how they broadcasted Little Witch Academia was that because of it the show didn't have the impact it could have. To be honest i was glad seeing all those entitled seasonal watchers accostumed to simulcast bitch and complain.

Then the EVA dub. Well, an english EVA dub that sucks, what a surprise, only this time we don't have Spike Spencer's annoying voice as Shinji.

@Chiibi if ADV Films actually cared they wouldn't cast Spike Spencer as Shinji.

I agree he can be irritating....but at the same time, I thought it fit Shinji. xD just like how Tiffany Grant is REALLY annoying so she was perfect for Asuka.

Aug 14, 2019 5:46 PM

Dec 2016
Lunilah said:
Amazon Prime Video hasn't marketed themselves with the binging philosophy like Netflix has, and is completely dwarfed by them regardless. If streaming Violet Evergarden week to week wasn't fruitful for their audience, then they aren't going to continue doing week to week broadcasts. Simple as that.

Again, it only makes sense if simulcasting costs the company extra, because simulcasting does not affect the "binging philosophy" in any manner whatsoever.

What's the difference?
Aug 14, 2019 5:47 PM

Oct 2014
Daemon said:
Lunilah said:

Again, it only makes sense if simulcasting costs the company extra, because simulcasting does not affect the "binging philosophy" in any manner whatsoever.
Except it does directly effect it if they're getting less numbers due to breaking off what they've built themselves to be, proving to be a bad investment. Operating on a loss.

Aug 14, 2019 5:51 PM

Dec 2016
Lunilah said:
Daemon said:

Except it does directly effect it if they're getting less numbers due to breaking off what they've built themselves to be, proving to be a bad investment. Operating on a loss.

Why would they get less numbers? If Netflix simulcasts, no binge watcher is going to cancel their subscription. They will still be able to watch the entire series at their own convenience like they always have been, and it will make no difference whatsoever to them.

What's the difference?
Aug 14, 2019 5:54 PM

Oct 2014
Daemon said:
Lunilah said:

Why would they get less numbers? If Netflix simulcasts, no binge watcher is going to cancel their subscription. They will still be able to watch the entire series at their own convenience like they always have been, and it will make no difference whatsoever to them.
Less numbers watching a show that is week to week rather than released all at once, due to them marketing themselves as the binge network, i'm not talking about subscription numbers. They've licensed a ton of anime that has already been finished and a handful that haven't, they have the numbers and they stopped doing week to week, probably because people forget something exists after 3-4+ months and don't bother with it. Netflix is a business like any other, they aren't going to do something that isn't in their best interest, they tried it, and stopped doing it.

Conceptually sure, people can just watch it later. But they don't. They're dealing with the reality of their situation. Perhaps Amazon Prime releasing 3 episodes of Vinland Saga at once was a test.

Aug 14, 2019 6:01 PM
Mar 2015
Daemon said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/netflix-dubbed-tv-shows-default-subtitles-1201937425/#!

It's most likely about releasing the show with it dubbed into other languages. Violet Evergarden, the one show Netflix did simulcast, had a same day English dub.
Aug 14, 2019 6:02 PM

Dec 2016
Lunilah said:
Less numbers watching a show that is week to week rather than released all at once, due to them marketing themselves as the binge network, i'm not talking about subscription numbers. They've licensed a ton of anime that has already been finished and a handful that haven't, they have the numbers and they stopped doing week to week, probably because people forget something exists after 3-4+ months and don't bother with it. Netflix is a business like any other, they aren't going to do something that isn't in their best interest, they tried it, and stopped doing it.

Conceptually sure, people can just watch it later. But they don't. They're dealing with the reality of their situation.

Do you have a source for that, or are you just guessing? Maybe you are right, because I really can't think of any other explanation why Netflix wouldn't just do the obvious thing and simulcast. Crunchyroll and Amazon Prime don't have this problem, but for the former, at least, it may be due to it being mainly for anime fans.

Perhaps Amazon Prime releasing 3 episodes of Vinland Saga at once was a test.

Didn't NHK in Japan release all three episodes at the same time too, though?

What's the difference?
Aug 14, 2019 6:06 PM

Oct 2014
Daemon said:
Lunilah said:

Conceptually sure, people can just watch it later. But they don't. They're dealing with the reality of their situation.

Do you have a source for that, or are you just guessing? Maybe you are right, because I really can't think of any other explanation why Netflix wouldn't just do the obvious thing and simulcast. Crunchyroll and Amazon Prime don't have this problem, but for the former, at least, it may be due to it being mainly for anime fans.

Perhaps Amazon Prime releasing 3 episodes of Vinland Saga at once was a test.

Didn't NHK in Japan release all three episodes at the same time too, though?
Don't have a source for that, it's just deduction, including the fact that Japan is greatly accustomed to week to week content so it would make sense they don't change it there. I also don't think there is any single reason for anything, but i do think licensing fees on top of people not being as interested over time are definitely tied together when you've built 140m subscribers on a single concept.
I made a more detailed post here responding to the OP, i'm not knocking the fees, just from deduction i think it's wrong to ignore as a factor for inserting something week to week into a platform that almost exclusively does binging and for a new medium at that.

I don't know what NHK released, i was just assuming because i don't actually know.

Edit: A comma.
LunilahAug 14, 2019 6:10 PM

Aug 14, 2019 6:08 PM

Dec 2012
1. Binging shows is way better than weekly simulcasts. I do agree that it takes too long for them to release it though.

2. There's probably some legal issues they couldn't get around for them not to use the original dub, it wasn't that great of a dub anyway so no loss. Evangellion (the TV series, the movies are better) kinda sucks anyway. Most of Netflix's live action anime are indeed pretty unremarkable though, yeah, but that's what we've all come to expect from an anime live action project so it's nothing new.

3. Non issue. I don't watch documentaries anyway.
KruszerAug 15, 2019 10:06 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 14, 2019 6:25 PM

Aug 2018
This is a classic story of a brand not being in touch with their target demographic and viewers, even tho i still think netflix cares about anime (cause it can bring in the big bucks) but they still seem to misunderstand how anime broadcasting should work, which is why they just give it the same treatment any other medium gets such as releasing it all at once and putting up older shows from previous years for people to binge (which is one thing i actually like theyre doing) they treat anime in such a way because it seems like they dont know how to treat anime, for them its basically like any other thing, and in the large scale of things theyre, kinda right, for them its just another show thatll bring money to the table via broadcasting it.

For the politically correct thing, netflix have been known to pander to political correctness, and while its your decision to say if its bad for creativity or good for marketing, i myself agree that it butchers the show and it really sucks for the original work to be changed like this, you shouldnt censor eva just like how you shouldnt censor black lagoons english dub.
But you gotta keep in mind that the original dub might have not been legally available for netflix to use, which is still not a very good case to why they changed it to this extent, but makes more sense

Other than that, you still gotta appreciate the amount of original anime we got from them, and keep getting, this kinda stuff, to me, show us that they do care (even if its cause the money) about anime, but just dont know how to approach it, i feel as if bringing in people who actually know a thing or 2 about the anime fandom like how crunchy and funimation do, would make a huge difference, those companies got their own problems but at least they are a lot more in touch with how their demographic works, cause they ARE that demographic
Aug 14, 2019 6:52 PM
Mar 2011
Zalis said:
The anime industry operates with the intent of making money. A lot of the titles Netflix streams are or were on other anime-centric streaming sites, true, but their presence on Netflix makes it much more likely that "normies" will discover them and potentially seek out other anime as well. The licensing money that Japanese companies get from Netflix is worth a lot more than the "exposure" they get from bootleg streaming sites, that's for sure.

I can understand frustration over NF's lack of simulcasting, and don't blame people for pirating them during the JP broadcasts, as that is a genuine "service problem." At the same time, let's not pretend that a substantial majority of the audiences for LWA, Violet Evergarden, etc. weren't just going to pirate them anyway, even if they were simulcasted.

Masutado said:
Netflix's second offense would be their generally out-of-touch relationship with and blatant disregard for the anime community. It was honestly pretty exciting seeing Netflix pick up Evangelion at first. They finally broke a several decade long curse of having almost no legal ways to enjoy the show, and after tons of positive feedback, it was clear they could redeem themselves of past transgressions by simply making Evangelion streamable. They still messed it up though, and pretty badly too. After being begged to bring back the original dub, Netflix still proceeded to make a new dub which, although undoubtedly more consistent, lacks any charm or character. They redid the subtitles into a more literal, politically correct version that ruins many emotional scenes and spits in the face of anybody who worked on the original script. They even removed FMTTM, which is an objectively crucial part of the Evangelion experience, which shows how little they really cared about the project to begin with, and Evangelion's only one of many instances of Netflix disrespecting and flat out ignoring the anime community.
Evangelion's last US release was in 2008 -- a little more than one decade, but hardly "decades." It's funny, anime viewers are always complaining about companies taking liberties and changing things in the Japanese script. Then Netflix comes along with a more faithful NGE localization, and everyone's all "We want our late 1990s liberal translations back!!" It's possible that ADV and Manga had retained the rights to those old dubs, as contracts were done differently back then, and those dubs might not have reverted to Gainax/khara after the licenses expired. But it's also likely that khara wanted to throw the old version out and start again fresh. Either way, the new dubs and subs on Netflix were created by or heavily supervised by Studio khara themselves, much like the way Rebuild 3 was supervised to the point that Funimation had to redo the dub/subs and delay the release. If you don't like the changes, blame khara. I mean, what was Netflix supposed to do, disrespect and flat-out ignore the wishes of NGE's creators?

As for Fly Me to the Moon, apparently it was sacrificed on the altar of global accessibility. If NF had done a more limited, region-locked release of Evangelion, perhaps the rights would've been affordable. It's up to them to decide if the revenue from fringe regions is enough to offset any losses incurred by not including FMTTM. They were already spending a presumably astronomical amount to license NGE in the first place. Sspending even more for a song that, let's be honest, a large portion of viewers is going to skip anyway, might have made the whole process of licensing/streaming NGE into a money-losing endeavor.

more accurate translatiion the better i just what non Japanese fans to gte what i got that has always been my stance on the whole subs dubs debate

alsoa bout the muisc rights most of the covers of fly me to the moon are owned these days by avex and there vry slowing opning up and ZnT the opening is owned by lantis so NF could gte lantis in baord but not Avex im sorry i find that higy dubious
DateYutakaAug 14, 2019 6:56 PM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 14, 2019 7:05 PM

Jul 2019
yotamdin said:
This is a classic story of a brand not being in touch with their target demographic and viewers, even tho i still think netflix cares about anime (cause it can bring in the big bucks) but they still seem to misunderstand how anime broadcasting should work, which is why they just give it the same treatment any other medium gets such as releasing it all at once and putting up older shows from previous years for people to binge (which is one thing i actually like theyre doing) they treat anime in such a way because it seems like they dont know how to treat anime, for them its basically like any other thing, and in the large scale of things theyre, kinda right, for them its just another show thatll bring money to the table via broadcasting it.

For the politically correct thing, netflix have been known to pander to political correctness, and while its your decision to say if its bad for creativity or good for marketing, i myself agree that it butchers the show and it really sucks for the original work to be changed like this, you shouldnt censor eva just like how you shouldnt censor black lagoons english dub.
But you gotta keep in mind that the original dub might have not been legally available for netflix to use, which is still not a very good case to why they changed it to this extent, but makes more sense

Other than that, you still gotta appreciate the amount of original anime we got from them, and keep getting, this kinda stuff, to me, show us that they do care (even if its cause the money) about anime, but just dont know how to approach it, i feel as if bringing in people who actually know a thing or 2 about the anime fandom like how crunchy and funimation do, would make a huge difference, those companies got their own problems but at least they are a lot more in touch with how their demographic works, cause they ARE that demographic

because anime lovers account for 100% of cr/funi viewership, where they could account for less than 1% of netflix viewership? changing your business model for such a slim % of your customers doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint.
Aug 14, 2019 7:18 PM

Aug 2018
ubernewb said:
yotamdin said:

because anime lovers account for 100% of cr/funi viewership, where they could account for less than 1% of netflix viewership? changing your business model for such a slim % of your customers doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint.
i see where youre coming from but a company like netflix that aims to be a more general service for everyone should know how to treat different demographics, its kind of a "you made this platform that way so now you gotta deal with it" kinda thing, also i wouldnt be surprised if netflix has the budget and resources to make a better "anime departmemt" that focuses more on anime
Aug 14, 2019 8:08 PM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
syncrogazer said:
Wavey_Nooby said:
Low chance but next thing I'll know I'll have Toei or Funimation emailing me about a lawsuit. IMO torrenting files is only good for Old video games that most publishers don't care about anymore.

So, kissanime shills are now using fear-mongering to sell their shitty site. funny stuff.

lol wtf are you talking about? I'm not selling the site to anyone. i could care less if you use it or not. I'm just telling you that I like the website. You really think I give a fuck about you going on the website? Also if you believe that you can't get caught torrenting files on the internet from big companies you're dead fucking wrong. You won't get a visit from the FBI. But when you receive that email from a copyright troll telling you to pay X amount of money for the shit you downloaded you're gonna shit on yourself.
Aug 14, 2019 8:26 PM

Aug 2017
Good points and good criticism.
I think Netflix is just awful and terrible with every content they have.They plan to ruin other loved franchise with their live action (ATLA) and they don't even made the original serie avaible to watch.They only sponsors the most popular show (like Stranger things,which it's too much overhyped and I'm literally sick of seeing it everywhere) and the new ones doesn't even get a trailer:for example Forever Twelve.Also not only original netflix anime sucks but most of his movies and series,which still get overhyped and popular anyway:ex.13 reasons why. And if this happens they will propably decide to make a sequel for money,which is usually unnecessary,nonsense,terrible and offensive for the fans.
I don't understand why Netflix is so popular,people should understand how much is terrible as streaming site.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2019 8:33 PM

Mar 2016
Wavey_Nooby said:
But when you receive that email from a copyright troll telling you to pay X amount of money for the shit you downloaded you're gonna shit on yourself.

To me, it definitely reads like a terrible advertisement for a shit product. I mean, going out of your way to watch bit rate starved re-encodes on a garbage website out of fear of some lawsuit that's never going to come? It's too hard to believe.

I'll be looking forward to it though. I'm sure those seedy porn companies are just waiting for my next obscure anime download. Maybe they'll help seed some stuff I've been stuck on for a while.
syncrogazerAug 14, 2019 8:37 PM
Aug 14, 2019 8:43 PM

Dec 2016
Space_Invader said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/netflix-dubbed-tv-shows-default-subtitles-1201937425/#!

It's most likely about releasing the show with it dubbed into other languages. Violet Evergarden, the one show Netflix did simulcast, had a same day English dub.

If that were the case, then that means that Netflix only licenses anime that have dubs. I don't know if that's actually true or not. Also, it's clear that no other anime streaming site, including similar competitors like Amazon Prime, think that they absolutely need a dub or they won't air the anime.

Lunilah said:
Don't have a source for that, it's just deduction, including the fact that Japan is greatly accustomed to week to week content so it would make sense they don't change it there. I also don't think there is any single reason for anything, but i do think licensing fees on top of people not being as interested over time are definitely tied together when you've built 140m subscribers on a single concept.
I made a more detailed post here responding to the OP, i'm not knocking the fees, just from deduction i think it's wrong to ignore as a factor for inserting something week to week into a platform that almost exclusively does binging and for a new medium at that.

I don't know what NHK released, i was just assuming because i don't actually know.

The thing that strikes me as weird is that simulcasting won't affect binge watching. With or without simulcast, the full, completed show is still on Netflix for the same amount of time, so even if someone had started the anime and then forgot about it like in the scenario you said, they would still be able to see it on rotation on Netflix later and maybe be reminded that they started watching it and then they could go back and finish the whole thing.

But I agree that there has to be some reason, or a combination of reasons, that is making Netflix choose not to simulcast, so you could be right in the end. The only flaw to this argument is that competitors like Amazon Prime still choose to simulcast anyway...

What's the difference?
Aug 14, 2019 8:51 PM

Jul 2019
netflix has plenty of sub-only content.. hell, when i'm browsing the catalog, it seems like most of it is subbed
Aug 14, 2019 9:26 PM

Oct 2014
Daemon said:
Space_Invader said:

If that were the case, then that means that Netflix only licenses anime that have dubs. I don't know if that's actually true or not. Also, it's clear that no other anime streaming site, including similar competitors like Amazon Prime, think that they absolutely need a dub or they won't air the anime.

Lunilah said:

The thing that strikes me as weird is that simulcasting won't affect binge watching. With or without simulcast, the full, completed show is still on Netflix for the same amount of time, so even if someone had started the anime and then forgot about it like in the scenario you said, they would still be able to see it on rotation on Netflix later and maybe be reminded that they started watching it and then they could go back and finish the whole thing.

But I agree that there has to be some reason, or a combination of reasons, that is making Netflix choose not to simulcast, so you could be right in the end. The only flaw to this argument is that competitors like Amazon Prime still choose to simulcast anyway...
The only retort would be about Amazon, they haven't built themselves as the brand for binge watching so it wouldn't apply to their viewers.

Aug 14, 2019 10:07 PM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
syncrogazer said:
Wavey_Nooby said:
But when you receive that email from a copyright troll telling you to pay X amount of money for the shit you downloaded you're gonna shit on yourself.

To me, it definitely reads like a terrible advertisement for a shit product. I mean, going out of your way to watch bit rate starved re-encodes on a garbage website out of fear of some lawsuit that's never going to come? It's too hard to believe.

I'll be looking forward to it though. I'm sure those seedy porn companies are just waiting for my next obscure anime download. Maybe they'll help seed some stuff I've been stuck on for a while.
you’re digging a grave buddy I’m telling you. VPNs arent perfect. But hey, you do you. Also I’m not using kissanime because I’m afraid of torrenting. I just refuse to pay for a service like crunchy roll or funimation. They got me fucked up. Also you complain about the site being shitty but doesn’t know that it’s quite easy to circumvent advertisements and pop ups. I’ll take that over paying a subscription every month with my hard earned cash.
Aug 14, 2019 10:20 PM

Jul 2019
the paranoia is real.. srs, nobody really gives a shit. especially about your anime torrents. seeding some $$$ hollywood megamovie right before/after release has about a one in one billion chance of you catching an email, but that's about it.

that said, kiss is a pretty garbage site imo.. if you do want to sail the seas, i'd second twist. no extra junk, just decent quality shows to stream. i've been using it to catch up on shows that cr doesn't have
Aug 14, 2019 10:24 PM

Jul 2019
but somewhat back to topic.. just watched that 'enter the anime' documentary (even tho i have a really hard time calling it that). god that was awful. basically just a poor excuse of a commercial for a few shows on netflix with a shit host who knows nothing about the topic at hand.
Aug 15, 2019 12:45 AM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
ubernewb said:
the paranoia is real.. srs, nobody really gives a shit. especially about your anime torrents. seeding some $$$ hollywood megamovie right before/after release has about a one in one billion chance of you catching an email, but that's about it.

that said, kiss is a pretty garbage site imo.. if you do want to sail the seas, i'd second twist. no extra junk, just decent quality shows to stream. i've been using it to catch up on shows that cr doesn't have
Ill check out twist. never heard of it before and didn't think there could be a free streaming website better than kiss. Thanks for the recc
Aug 15, 2019 2:18 AM

Jul 2019
Netflix is kinda in a rough spot. The company has already plenty of competitors and for managers anime is just a risky niche market in which people are used to getting the same service for free. I guess they just wanted to create a footholding of sorts and not dedidacte too many resources in the field. All the faults rn are just pure negligence. Except for the politcal correctness. Personally, I don't like it either but this is the current Zeitgeist and hence, a safer way to operate.

btw they just hired the GoT Writers D&D for $300 million which is for me a sign of desperation to land the next big hit and make people join in big numbers. Live action was, is and will be where their money's at. I would not be suprised if out of the blue they decided to sell off all their assets in this genre.
Aug 15, 2019 3:17 AM

Dec 2016
Daemon said:
Space_Invader said:

Lunilah said:

I think they chose bing watch bc when non anime fans open one anime and see that It is incomplet they decide that It isn't worth to jeep up with It.

And even when The anime is complet, they don't pick It up again thinking that It probably isn't done yet, our because The show is at Netflix for a long time but no one seems to talk about It, its bad.
heh.
Aug 15, 2019 3:32 AM

Jan 2018
I completely agree, however I still enjoy all their originals. They're rarely great, but they're all entertaining.
Aug 15, 2019 4:58 AM

Aug 2017
the only reasons i use netflix at all for anime streaming is because i'd be wasting the subscription my family pays for, and because it allows me to watch the shows on my television. if not for those reasons i would only use crunchyroll and pirate shows not available on there. i've done it before for tons of shows not licensed on netflix, and following their treatment of Eva i've considered just pirating that anyway after all the hype. it's a shame because i want to be able to support anime creators through watching their works legally, but really who's to say netflix is even sending any money to the companies who's work i watch? real shame imo
Aug 15, 2019 6:40 AM

Mar 2016
Wavey_Nooby said:
Also you complain about the site being shitty but doesn’t know that it’s quite easy to circumvent advertisements and pop ups. I’ll take that over paying a subscription every month with my hard earned cash.

Yeah, dude, because ads are the only reason why pirate streaming sites are shit.

So if you're not actually afraid of getting sued, you're eating garbage because you like it? That seems even worse to me.
Aug 15, 2019 6:55 AM
Oct 2016
I thought something bad had happened when I read the title of the topic.
Aug 15, 2019 9:14 AM

Feb 2015
The new Evangelion dub has nothing to do with Netflix, all the changes were studio Khara's decision.
Aug 15, 2019 9:53 AM

Dec 2017
Netflix have destroyed some in the past, but I appreciate their efforts to bring the anime to a wider audience
Aug 15, 2019 10:09 AM
May 2019
It's not that bad, and while I don't agree with everything that they are doing at least they are introducing anime to more people and creating more anime fans in the process so that's nice.
XstasyAug 15, 2019 1:56 PM
Aug 15, 2019 11:14 AM

Sep 2018
holy fuck get a life

i can't understand why this post needed to be so long
Aug 15, 2019 11:30 AM
Sep 2018
Netflix suck ass, kissanime is the way to go. The end of the argument.
Si-Ran said:
holy fuck get a life

i can't understand why this post needed to be so long
You look retarded.
Aug 15, 2019 1:36 PM

Jan 2019
Wavey_Nooby said:
syncrogazer said:

you’re digging a grave buddy I’m telling you. VPNs arent perfect. But hey, you do you. Also I’m not using kissanime because I’m afraid of torrenting. I just refuse to pay for a service like crunchy roll or funimation. They got me fucked up. Also you complain about the site being shitty but doesn’t know that it’s quite easy to circumvent advertisements and pop ups. I’ll take that over paying a subscription every month with my hard earned cash.

I am with you on Kiss Anime. Still one the best selections on the web with most animes being in decent 720p quality. Throw in some Ublock and a pop up blocker and you are good to go. I don't understand the complaints about quality, I stream rip every show I watch on there and the quality is perfectly fine when I HDMI it from my laptop to TV. A couple servers have sound distortion issues, but I just don't use those sources.

As for P2P, its hard to find active seeds for the more obscure shows so its back to Kiss. Anyway, stream ripping is often faster than trying to leach from one guy in Croatia seeding the show you want. I have torrented a few shows with the VPN and never had any problems with my ISP though.

syncrogazer said:

So if you're not actually afraid of getting sued, you're eating garbage because you like it? That seems even worse to me.

I don't see how what Kiss provides is garbage. Their steams sound and look fine on a TV, isn't that what the are supposed to do?
Aug 15, 2019 1:50 PM
Dec 2013
You are too privileged, dude. Netflix is doing some good stuff and bringing anime to a huuge audience. I'm totally fine with them dropping an entire show later on than doing a weekly release. The people translating and doing with a short deadline each week provides us with sub-par translations, that they always fix later on.
Aug 15, 2019 2:06 PM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
DiscoDespot said:
Wavey_Nooby said:

I am with you on Kiss Anime. Still one the best selections on the web with most animes being in decent 720p quality. Throw in some Ublock and a pop up blocker and you are good to go. I don't understand the complaints about quality, I stream rip every show I watch on there and the quality is perfectly fine when I HDMI it from my laptop to TV. A couple servers have sound distortion issues, but I just don't use those sources.

As for P2P, its hard to find active seeds for the more obscure shows so its back to Kiss. Anyway, stream ripping is often faster than trying to leach from one guy in Croatia seeding the show you want. I have torrented a few shows with the VPN and never had any problems with my ISP though.

syncrogazer said:

I don't see how what Kiss provides is garbage. Their steams sound and look fine on a TV, isn't that what the are supposed to do?
they just have buttfuck shitty booty potato router internet and can’t stream shit so they have to torrent
Aug 15, 2019 2:55 PM

Mar 2016
Wavey_Nooby said:
they just have buttfuck shitty booty potato router internet and can’t stream shit so they have to torrent

wut. Torrents can download at way faster speeds (and the file sizes themselves are way bigger) than what is required to stream shitty kissanime MP4s.

DiscoDespot said:
I don't see how what Kiss provides is garbage.

Hmm, maybe it's the comically awful interface, the shitty hardsubbed re-encodes, or the fact that they profit off of the works of other people, whether in the anime industry or the community who does fansubbing and encoding for free. No torrent site I use has ads, and whether I can block them is besides the point.

I mean streaming sucks anyway. You can't archive anything (who the fuck rips streams lol) and you have no control over the source of what you're watching. I laugh whenever I see someone upload subs that have been machine translated, which happens sometimes for new releases like movies, because I know the shitty streaming sites are going to steal them and host them forever, even after better subs or a better encode is released. I mean you people do realize that kissanime steals everything they have from torrent sites, right?

But are there really anime pirates who've never seen a proper BD encode that they can say with a straight face that pirate streams look good on a decently sized TV? Seriously?
syncrogazerAug 15, 2019 3:20 PM
Aug 15, 2019 3:11 PM

Aug 2019
syncrogazer said:
Wavey_Nooby said:

wut. Torrents can download at way faster speeds than what is required to stream shitty kissanime MP4s.

DiscoDespot said:
I don't see how what Kiss provides is garbage.

Hmm, maybe it's the comically awful interface, the shitty hardsubbed re-encodes, or the fact that they profit off of the works of other people, whether in the anime industry or the community who does fansubbing and encoding for free. No torrent site I use has ads, and whether I can block them is besides the point.

I mean streaming sucks anyway. You can't archive anything (who the fuck rips streams lol) and you have no control over the source of what you're watching. I laugh whenever I see someone upload subs that have been machine translated, which happens sometimes for new releases like movies, because I know the shitty streaming sites are going to steal them and host them forever, even after better subs or a better encode is released. I mean you people do realize that kissanime steals everything they have from torrent sites, right?

But are there really anime pirates who've never seen a proper BD encode that they can say with a straight face that pirate streams look good on a decently sized TV? Seriously?

Yeah, I mainly dont use kissanime despite knowing the work arounds to the ads because they ban you for like a week if they spot you doing it cause "muh money income even though my gig isnt legal how dare you"
Gotta love how an illegal website making money off others work gets pissy if you use any sort of ad block on their site and bans you
This made the site a joke to me, they used to be great and not so ad filled and selfish like that, but that changed when they got bigger.
Aug 15, 2019 3:21 PM

Aug 2013
ubernewb said:
Lunilah said:
All in all, Netflix is doing amazing things by exposing more people to the industry on a scale not even close to what anybody else has ever done and probably wont for a very long time. What they're doing is good.

exactly.. the more people they expose to it, the more people seek more anime out elsewhere. more interest in anime in general = more money invested into getting even more anime and anime merchandise out there for everyone to consume.

Please stop with this 'getting more people into anime is a good thing' meme. It was never funny.
MindOfOsaka said:
You are too privileged, dude. Netflix is doing some good stuff and bringing anime to a huuge audience. I'm totally fine with them dropping an entire show later on than doing a weekly release. The people translating and doing with a short deadline each week provides us with sub-par translations, that they always fix later on.

Except the fact that subs on Netflix are literally worse than anything else. It's even worse than commie-like crap.
And trust me, doing something as bad as this is not easy.
rsc-plAug 15, 2019 3:26 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 15, 2019 5:26 PM

Jan 2016
I don’t have subscription, nor have I liked ANY of their original series. The only bone I have to pick with them is releasing that god-awful documentary that not only makes anime fans look like degenerative freaks, but also just hoisting their doubly god-awful shows up for promotion.

ーSide NoteーI still have difficulty believing that Mari Okada wrote Hisone to Maso-tan with how cheesy & one-note the writing was.
EggheadLunaAug 15, 2019 5:29 PM
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Aug 15, 2019 5:31 PM

Jan 2016
MindOfOsaka said:

I would rather Netflix promote anime in a positive way.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - 6 minutes ago

1 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
46 seconds ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 8 hours ago

26 by Paul »»
1 minute ago

» Categorize your Profile Favorite Characters as sadist, masochist, or switch

IpreferEcchi - 30 minutes ago

2 by Timeline_man »»
2 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

20 by logopolis »»
3 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.