Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 7, 2019 4:58 PM
Oct 2018
I am going to be a sophomore in high school, and was wondering how to give time to anime, without taking time out of my studies. I am taking quite a few honors courses and an AP course. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem to ask for help. I don't want to feel stressed out, but I have anime as a hobby. I want to get really good grades, but also be able to enjoy anime. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to express your opinion.
Jul 7, 2019 5:24 PM
Feb 2017
Do your homework first and then watch anime. Don't wait until the last minute. Mind blown.
Jul 7, 2019 5:30 PM

Apr 2019
Studying is your priority. You should always do that first and, with the time you've got left, watch anime. Due to that, you should research a bit about which animes you want to watch the most, as you won't have time for all of them. It shouldn't be that hard, you know, even in high school you should still have plenty of time.
Jul 7, 2019 5:32 PM

Sep 2018
ALWAYS prioritize entertainment last, whether it be games, TV, anime, etc, you want that to be last, or else you might lose yourself in an activity, and leave no time for schoolwork to studying.

If you don't have time at the end of the day for any sorts of entertainment after schoolwork, then tough luck I guess.
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Jul 7, 2019 5:34 PM
Oct 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
Do your homework first and then watch anime. Don't wait until the last minute. Mind blown.

It's more abt studying for tests instead of hw and I want to make sure I remember everything for the exam.
Jul 7, 2019 5:42 PM

Oct 2017
having finished sophomore year not TOO long ago, let me give you some advice -

if youre watching seasonal anime, know the dates that all of the shows you wanna watch air, and then plan which days you wanna watch each one. on weekdays, make sure you don't have more than two episodes a night, that really works best imo

if youre trying to binge, save it for weekends.

my week looked something like this:

Mon - 1 seasonal
Tue - 2 past aired
Wed - Nothing
Thu - 1 seasonal
Fri - 2 seasonal
Sat - Binge day!
Sun - 2 seasonal

idk how much anime ur trying to watch, but i was able to make school, homework, extracurriculars and anime all balance ok like this.

also, watch on the go if u commute or get driven to school. if u can use phones in school, try seeing if you can catch an episode at free period, break (whichever u have) or lunch. downloading anime might help with this if u dont care about piracy.

generally know yourself and how much time your life is gonna take tho. maybe try timing urself on homework and studying to get a better sense of how much time u can leave yourself to watch anime nightly.

hope this helps!
Jul 7, 2019 5:49 PM

Mar 2019
Take high school in one hand, and anime in the other. Now start trying to accurately throw each one into the other hand. Enough practice and you'll get it.

Lmao okay for real though. I know this sounds antithetical to what you've been told by everyone, but I think more people these days actually take high school too seriously rather than the other way around. You don't need to go to an amazing prestigious college like Harvard or Yale. Just go to a decent second tier college. Even if your grades aren't quite good enough in high school, you can always do a year or two at community college and transfer in. You can get guaranteed admission to almost any four year college that you want by going through the community college system. I know countless people who came to my four year school after doing a year or two at community college. Can't guarantee all your credits will transfer but just know that you don't need some amazing resume in high school to get into the college you want.

In-fact, I'd recommend against it. I've seen a lot of the kids that pushed themselves too hard in high school completely drop the ball upon getting to college because they spent too many years not giving themselves any freedom and now that they can choose between freedom and school, they choose freedom and once they do, they want extreme freedom. Almost as a way to make up for all those stressful years in high school.

I'd say relax, get good enough grades and you should be fine. High school can be a really fun time in your life if you look for it. I can tell you that its much much easier to make friends, get girlfriends, and socialize in high school than it is in college. Personally I found that the high school environment is a lot more forgiving of social awkwardness and being anxious. So don't listen to people who say its all about academics, you should focus on your studies and not distract yourself. There are a lot of key social milestones that you need to experience in high school and if you don't, you're going to be behind your peers and struggling to catch up for the rest of your life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2019 5:49 PM

Sep 2017
Like others have said,homework and studies are the priority here.

Always do that first and then with the left over time watch anime,but if you dont get to have that much free time then just wait until mid term breaks or watch it when you have a test that isn’t exactly important nor meaningful to ur credits or whatever. (Imo)
Also another good option is just to watch seasonals,im sure you could fit in a 10-25 min ep once a day whether its after school or before bed

But this is coming from someone who dropped out so my bad if this isnt exactly helpful lol

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jul 7, 2019 5:56 PM

Oct 2018
I fell asleep to anime almost everyday, as long as I could last. Sometimes I could only manage a few episodes, on rare occasions I would stay up until 4 finishing a whole season lol.

I had a decent workload as well, taking numerous AP classes. I was in a sport and club as well.

I would suggest watching anime only at the end of the day. If you watch it before homework or right after school you can get lost in the show and don't want to leave your room lol. Have a bit more restraint than I did if you are willing to take up my advice, set up a bedtime at like 11 or 12 or something.
youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Jul 7, 2019 6:02 PM

May 2015
As others said, you definitely should prioritise studying over anime.

I'm not sure how often you have exams, but surely there's a period of time after them where you're free right? For me, I used to use that time after an exam to reward myself with anime. If I didn't watch anime in the days leading up to an exam so I could study, then it always felt so good to be able to sit down and watch everything I'd been missing out on after the exam was over. It felt like I'd truly earned it.

If you're studying casually everyday and not for specific exams, then at least one episode a day is still valid. Its natural to have entertainment breaks during studying - you'll definitely fry your brain if you study for the whole day without breaks. I used to study during the day and reward myself with some episodes at night.

But at the end of the day, its down to how good you are at not procrastinating. There were times where even if I knew I couldn't afford to watch anime, I'd still do it instead of studying because that's just the way I am. I always felt really guilty about it though, which kind of defeats the point of anime being for entertainment. So probably don't do that.

Just remember that anime will always be there, but this is the only time you'll be in high school.

FYI I'm talking about my experience with juggling anime and university because I didn't watch anime in high school, but same difference really.

♡ artist
サコ
Jul 7, 2019 6:17 PM

Dec 2014
Pfft, once you get out of high school, you then realize working your ass off in it is completely meaningless. Just get a D average.
Jul 7, 2019 6:33 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
Don't feel the need to burn through anime, even if you've done it in the past.

Don't be afraid to drop shows you don't like.

Remember to have a proper social life, too. Your friends will be happy if you spend time with them, anime won't care if you spend time on it or not.

Sit down and plan at the beginning of your week what studying/homework things are most important. Give yourself deadlines for them that are before the actual deadline (i.e. "English hw on Friday isn't worth many points, so can wait until Thursday, but I have a huge Engineering project due Friday, too, so I should work on it at the beginning of the week so it can be finished by the end of Wednesday).

Flashcards can help you learn terms at a faster pace.

Though it is encouraged to do hw on the front end of your day, it's all right to take breaks (i.e. 1 ep every hour of studying). I wouldn't do this if you can't keep to just 1 ep, though, so I would also avoid nailbiting thrillers/shounen that invite you to say "just one more episode..."
OfDeathandLoveJul 7, 2019 6:37 PM

Jul 7, 2019 6:36 PM

Aug 2013
I'm having trouble understanding the problem here. Do the obvious thing, which means prioritizing your studies. Then, whenever you have free time, use it to watch anime.
Jul 7, 2019 6:38 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
ImWaltz said:
I'm having trouble understanding the problem here. Do the obvious thing, which means prioritizing your studies. Then, whenever you have free time, use it to watch anime.

I'm assuming this is more meant for studying tips to get everything done faster so more time for anime. Or, at least, I assume this is what the OP wanted.

Jul 7, 2019 6:51 PM
Aug 2017
DualSabers said:
BlakexEkalb said:

It's more abt studying for tests instead of hw and I want to make sure I remember everything for the exam.

If you're worried about tests, I would usually make sure to review all the material and not watch any anime on the day before, especially if it was crucial to my grade or something like that. If you're really anxious for the test, you can try taking breaks studying before and after watching an episode or something, so you can calm your nerves and make sure to remember everything on the test. Also make sure not to cram.
Jul 7, 2019 6:57 PM

May 2019
I mean.... the obvious answer is school>anime. Your studies come first. Study and do homework before you watch anime. If you watch anime before doing your homework, you'll probably not want to stop whatever you're watching to do something like homework/studying. Look at anime as a motivation and reward to finish your homework and studying.
Jul 7, 2019 7:05 PM

Mar 2016
Who needs school when you can just leech off your parents while watching anime all day.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Jul 7, 2019 7:13 PM

Nov 2018
inflowing said:
I mean.... the obvious answer is school>anime. Your studies come first. Study and do homework before you watch anime. If you watch anime before doing your homework, you'll probably not want to stop whatever you're watching to do something like homework/studying. Look at anime as a motivation and reward to finish your homework and studying.

very true but who actually does that?
just watch anime while learning or doing homework, you will probably take 3x the time to do it and remember neither afterwards but technically it works
Jul 7, 2019 7:17 PM

Jul 2017
Just drop out lol ez.

But for real it depends on how well you can study and your overall school performance. If you're one who can effectively study with less time and get good grades, then you can easily fit in a lot of animu to watch. On the other hand, if you need more time to study, then I'd suggest either watching an ep as a break here and there or reserve some time beforehand to watching. Make sure you prioritize doing homework though, as it can come a long way especially later on when not every teacher is gonna teach the way you like it

Idk about the US, but in Canada at least 1st and 2nd-year grades don't actually count for anything when it comes to post-secondary, so don't be too stressed if they're not up to par.
Jul 8, 2019 8:02 AM
Jan 2019
I started watching anime when I was a sophomore back in high school (2007). To be honest I thought high school was a joke and spent my time gaming, watching anime, reading manga, hanging out with friends. Eventually I graduated with a 69.5% average, got a scholarship to our small city's local college because nobody else in my graduating class (120 people) applied to the local college so I got the scholarship by default despite basically having - C+ - 69.5% - 1.5 GPA -. I ended up graduating from college with a 3.65 GPA and earned the President's medal for highest all years GPA.

I was lucky, purely lucky. Don't put anything before your GPA. Anyone can be lucky, few rarely are. Be serious and watch an episode or two before going to sleep at night.
Jul 8, 2019 11:11 PM
Dec 2017
Do your homework, any leftover school work, projects, and studying first. When you have free time, maybe watch an episode or two. If you find yourself not having enough free time to watch anime, you should try to do some of your work ahead of time (if they allow you to do so). This way, you''ll most likely end up with more free time later on.

Trust me, you don't want to end up like me who had to spend a majority of their school breaks working. The only reason I have time to be on here is because I finished all the work I was behind on before school ended.
Jul 8, 2019 11:36 PM

Jan 2018
I don't know what it's like to be taking more than of those kinds of classes.
I dropped out of my honors English in after the first quarter lmao.
But tbh I'm glad I did because my grade in my regular english ended up being a solid A for the entire rest of the year.

Just relax and try not to procrastinate/work too hard.
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Jul 9, 2019 12:37 AM

Jun 2019
Watch anime first and then do homework at the last minute
Jul 9, 2019 4:42 AM

Jan 2018
Like post 2 said, watch your homework first and do your anime after.
Jul 9, 2019 5:15 AM

Aug 2009
If you don't finish your meat, you can't have any pudding.

...No Pink Floyd reference intended.

Jul 9, 2019 5:49 AM

Jun 2014
The best advice, would be for you to drop out of high school, and focus on Anime full-time.

I wish I had dropped out of high school, as graduating was pointless.

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

6 by nishant0 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 3 hours ago

20 by Horshu »»
2 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 2 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

234 by FZREMAKE »»
8 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 56 minutes ago

5 by WatchTillTandava »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.