Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 18, 2019 9:37 PM

Jan 2009
welp the news media says this https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/18/18683609/attack-on-titan-fascist-nationalist-isayama-hajime-manga-anime

do you agree? or can you see the subtext like ye maybe Marley is the USA and the Eldians/Paradis Island is Japan lol

is Isayama trying to be political with nationalism or ultra-nationalism or master race here?

regardless of what Isayama wants to express here i still love this stuff, we just gotta separate fiction from reality especially if the fiction is trying to influence our political beliefs for example

EDIT:

this also relates to the death threats sent to Isayama years ago when fans notice Dot Pixis is modeled after a Japanese military imperialist that killed a lot of Koreans and Chinese in the name of Japan imperialism

Isayama’s official blog from 2010 where he said the character Dot Pixis was based on historical figure Yoshifuru Akiyama, who Isayama called frugal and respectable. Because Akiyama was a general of the Imperial Japanese Army who contributed to the colonization of Korea and the commander of the army stationed in Korea under Japanese occupation, Koreans commented on the post in disgust and anger that Isayama would admire someone considered a war criminal, going as far as death treats.

https://kotaku.com/a-thousand-death-threats-against-a-popular-anime-creato-631792221
https://seldomusings.wordpress.com/2013/10/19/migiteorerno/
degJun 18, 2019 10:13 PM
Jun 19, 2019 1:51 AM

Jul 2012
deg said:
welp the news media says this https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/18/18683609/attack-on-titan-fascist-nationalist-isayama-hajime-manga-anime

do you agree? or can you see the subtext like ye maybe Marley is the USA and the Eldians/Paradis Island is Japan lol

is Isayama trying to be political with nationalism or ultra-nationalism or master race here?

regardless of what Isayama wants to express here i still love this stuff, we just gotta separate fiction from reality especially if the fiction is trying to influence our political beliefs for example

EDIT:

this also relates to the death threats sent to Isayama years ago when fans notice Dot Pixis is modeled after a Japanese military imperialist that killed a lot of Koreans and Chinese in the name of Japan imperialism

Isayama’s official blog from 2010 where he said the character Dot Pixis was based on historical figure Yoshifuru Akiyama, who Isayama called frugal and respectable. Because Akiyama was a general of the Imperial Japanese Army who contributed to the colonization of Korea and the commander of the army stationed in Korea under Japanese occupation, Koreans commented on the post in disgust and anger that Isayama would admire someone considered a war criminal, going as far as death treats.

https://kotaku.com/a-thousand-death-threats-against-a-popular-anime-creato-631792221
https://seldomusings.wordpress.com/2013/10/19/migiteorerno/

How do I even begin on this and how wrong it is overall...

First Akiyama wasn't even a war criminal to begin with, in any period of his stay and even raids in Korean and Chinese territory during both First Sino-Japanese war and the Russo-Japanese war. The death threats for the supposed war crime people are claiming that he did is instead to be attributed to Yamaji Motoharu and his men under the command of Ōyama Iwao. He, Akiyama, is just considered to be the father of Japanese Chivalry and also gained a popular tv series about his life on NHK shortly before the time Isayama first introduced him in the manga, likely being the inspiration for the character.

Second, the whole direct paralels in the article are absolutely ridiculous and deceptively difamatory in nature (just look at that headlines and the very link address lol, the clickbait and agenda is real), if you consider the story's current status and developments ever since the basement reveal.

Third, the supposed mentioned tweets from Isayama didn't come from him, but from a anonymous twitter account that had impersonating behavior by a time when that was a thing in Japan (Tite Kubo abandoned Twitter because of that around the same time, they even talk to editors, production staff and other people connected to their work on the artist's behalf as if they were them). Isayama's own story and political jabs straight contradicts what it's being implied to be his opinion at that.

I can further elaborate the argument if anyone is curious about it though, I'll try to make as spoiler free (almost impossible to be honest) as I can, so please especify your questions in that case.
DanpmssJun 19, 2019 2:13 AM
Jun 19, 2019 2:12 AM

Jan 2009
@Danpmss

nah i got no specific questions just want to see the reactions of people here on the forums about this since its not just the so called far left media like Polygon that is saying this it was first mentioned by fans on twitter so im sure Polygon made this article in order to sensationalize that fans discussion for years about this fascist or pro-nazi subtext they are saying
Jun 19, 2019 2:53 AM

Aug 2012
> Polygon...

Yikes..
Jun 19, 2019 5:07 AM

Feb 2018
The stupidity subtext of Polygon can't go overlooked
Jun 19, 2019 6:29 AM

Feb 2018
papsoshea said:
I'm interested in seeing both sides arguments. Personally, never once saw this series as pro-nazi when reading throughout the years, even when I read this specific part.

Except that the other side gives out false facts and most of them are mainstream sjw's who have never read the manga.
ShinyHexJun 19, 2019 6:39 AM
Jun 19, 2019 5:50 PM

Jan 2009
papsoshea said:
I'm interested in seeing both sides arguments. Personally, never once saw this series as pro-nazi when reading throughout the years, even when I read this specific part.

you can read this excellent counter argument against the topic of this thread and to me it makes sense too https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/comments/c1s3gg/new_episode_spoilers_the_attack_on_titan/
Jun 20, 2019 2:14 AM

Mar 2014
For me history of Eldians is similar to the treatment of German and Japanese after World War II. All these great nations wanted to rule the world and at the end were conquered and to some degree enslaved. Germany nowdays have american bases, has to live in guilt over their world war II actions, has to constantly apologize.

Japan isn't even allowed to wage war, have proper military and is also a puppet of USA.

Maybe King Fritz action of withdrawing to the walls was inspired by Hirohito renouncement of his divinity.

When it comes to facism - well anime for sure has some facist spirit and by that I mean militarism and heroism.
Andrzej2Jun 20, 2019 2:37 AM
Jun 20, 2019 2:25 AM

Jan 2009
Andrzej2 said:

When it comes to facism - well anime for sure has some facist spirit and by that I mean militarism and heroism.

very true i mean in the real world countless human wars already happen so the idea of fascism is nothing new in war scenarios be it fiction and reality
Jun 20, 2019 2:44 AM

Aug 2016
deg said:
Andrzej2 said:

very true i mean in the real world countless human wars already happen so the idea of fascism is nothing new in war scenarios be it fiction and reality

B please. That's why we like it. Fascism is emotional and appealing if you get right propaganda from right perspective. It's theme that is still discussed even 20 years after Starship trooper movie, which is best trope of this kind.

Otherwise, all article and discussion about it is totally pointless, I think Isayama is trying to make best of Grey of his story, and imaginary universes in authors fiction has nothing to do with they political believe. And even if they do, it up to every reader to take interpretation from it.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2019 2:49 AM

Jan 2009
Martin_Taylor said:
deg said:

B please. That's why we like it. Fascism is emotional and appealing if you get right propaganda from right perspective. It's theme that is still discussed even 20 years after Starship trooper movie, which is best trope of this kind.

Otherwise, all article and discussion about it is totally pointless, I think Isayama is trying to make best of Grey of his story, and imaginary universes in authors fiction has nothing to do with they political believe. And even if they do, it up to every reader to take interpretation from it.

ye the reddit counter argument about the fascist subtext of this story says that too that Isayama is presenting the positives of both sides (Marley and Eldians or right wing vs left wing or fascism vs pacism) so its not a black and white thing but gray like you pointed out

its just that Isayama certainly takes influence from human history like germany
Jun 23, 2019 10:03 PM

Dec 2015
Snowflakes and SJWs strike again.
Oct 13, 2022 9:19 PM
Oct 2022
AoT heavily draws inspiration from Japan's political situation since WW2. Paradis is most likely based off on Japan, and Eldia on Nazi Germany - hence the germanic names of the proeminent Eldians and their bloodlines (for an example the Ackermans). The fact that Japan was an ally to Nazi Germany in WW2 further reinforces that; also the fact that Eldia has choosen to isolate itself as a way to atone for their imperialistic sins.

Marley on the other hand has a looser connection but most likely was inspired by the USA. A enemy nation across the ocean from the island of Paradis, with an anglophone name, that forces Paradis to remain in isolation and at bay via military dominance.

This doesn't mean however that the show necessarily spouses fascist values, because not only being opposed or critical to the USA doesnt necessarily makes someone a fascist, also Fritz and then Eren ultimately end up being depicted as villains for their actions.
SaverossoOct 13, 2022 9:24 PM
Oct 14, 2022 9:57 AM
Apr 2022
bro what happened to the AOT fandom?
Oct 14, 2022 10:28 AM

Feb 2020
Saverosso said:
Eren ultimately end up being depicted as villains for their actions.

This is so untrue. He is depicted as a tragic great man. Just being antagonist of the story doesn't make the character portrayed as villan. In the end the only course of story was to oppose eren because other option is death, there is no choice there. The choose is in his depiction- will her be depicted as a evil psychopath or tragic saviour who sacrificed himself for other people's delusional time being peace. If anything, hallucigenia or Ymir are the one who are depicted as true villans
(Death note manga is how ur show a protagonist is villan)
AdampkOct 14, 2022 10:45 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 17, 2022 5:58 AM

Aug 2020
After all, Shingeki no Kyojin was this based

Oct 17, 2022 5:54 PM

Dec 2017
Adampk said:
Saverosso said:
Eren ultimately end up being depicted as villains for their actions.

This is so untrue. He is depicted as a tragic great man. Just being antagonist of the story doesn't make the character portrayed as villan. In the end the only course of story was to oppose eren because other option is death, there is no choice there. The choose is in his depiction- will her be depicted as a evil psychopath or tragic saviour who sacrificed himself for other people's delusional time being peace. If anything, hallucigenia or Ymir are the one who are depicted as true villans
(Death note manga is how ur show a protagonist is villan)
Your arguments fall apart when you called Eren an antagonist. Let me give you a hint: Arthur Fleck can never be portrayed as an antagonist in his own movie The Joker.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 138 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Mar 5, 2021

1128 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1875 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 10:48 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 4 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Sep 11, 2011

25 by HenryDanger »»
Apr 24, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 141 Discussion

venti_e - Sep 30, 2022

32 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 20, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.