Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 13, 2019 11:47 PM

Mar 2019
Beyond something obvious like its boring. Most of the time "being boring" pretty much just means that you specifically couldn't get into the concept of the story. What really makes you think the story was not very well written though?

I can enjoy pretty much any genre of story out there, I like to go into a story having a pretty good idea of what to expect from it but I can also enjoy stories that are intentionally left vague so as to take the viewer on numerous plot twists. I think one of the reasons why my mean score is pretty high is because I tend to be pretty forgiving and enjoy the vast majority of stories I do come across. I do like creating my own stories a lot in my free time so often times I can see things from the creator's perspective and enjoy what they created.

The main things that I can think of that I actually dislike is 1. When I feel like the creator had a good concept that they completely failed to deliver on. In this instance, I feel disappointed. I felt like the creator had a really good idea and its frustrating to watch it executed poorly.

The second thing that really frustrates me is when the characters act really stupid, especially when they are supposed to be smart characters. I was practically tearing my hair out watching Shiki because the characters acted so idiotically during most of the anime and let so many people die that didn't need to die. A major reason why I loved Death Note, Code Geass, and Kingdom is because most of the characters in those animes are very smart. Even then though, I can accept stupid characters if it seems to be an important plot point.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 14, 2019 12:22 AM

Oct 2014
In these type of threads my answer is always the same; unnecessary exposition/unnatural dialogue ie talking to the audience, it completely takes me out of the experience. If you can't express authors notes or story/plot through an actual narrator or even better with "show don't tell" like character acting for example, it's going to make me think less of it, generally.

But for my own sake of not liking to repeat myself; i'll also go with high character stakes with no growth in any direction or consequences. Even if it's simply a death that should directly affect a character but doesn't or they simply just go back to normal rather abruptly, a character who gets put into the same or many difficult situations but never learns from them, and consequences for your own actions seems like a common thing that rarely happens. I value these in good characterization, but they aren't required, obviously, there are many different ways to write characters but these seem to come up most often for me.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 14, 2019 12:25 AM

Mar 2019
Lunilah said:
In these type of threads my answer is always the same; unnecessary exposition/unnatural dialogue ie talking to the audience, it completely takes me out of the experience. If you can't express authors notes or story/plot through an actual narrator or even better with "show don't tell" like character acting for example, it's going to make me think less of it, generally.

But for my own sake of not liking to repeat myself; i'll also go with high character stakes with no growth in any direction or consequences. Even if it's simply a death that should directly affect a character but doesn't or they simply just go back to normal rather abruptly, a character who gets put into the same or many difficult situations but never learns from them, and consequences for your own actions seems like a common thing that rarely happens. I value these in good characterization, but they aren't required, obviously, there are many different ways to write characters but these seem to come up most often for me.

So would you say that having a narrator explaining certain parts of the story feels like a lazy plot tool and makes immersion difficult?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 14, 2019 12:31 AM

Oct 2014
Ryuk9428 said:
Lunilah said:

So would you say that having a narrator explaining certain parts of the story feels like a lazy plot tool and makes immersion difficult?
I'm much more preferential to a narrator doing it than exposition dumps through the characters, at least that was the point i was trying to make, woopsie. But not if the narrator is there for just 1 or 2 scenes in the entire show.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 14, 2019 12:40 AM

Feb 2016
bad story
on a serious note
what makes me dislike a story is usually the characters I'm given
an example would be Re:Zero
I like Isekai but I can't stand Subaru or the rest of the cast, besides Emilia
I didn't even get to meet best girl felix
also episodes blended in because it's him dying and coming back to life and that's it

I also dislike openers that spoil too much, I always watch and listen to the openers of every anime. But when I saw Asta's demon form before I saw it in the anime, I was actually a little disappointed. Let me find out thru the show, not the openers.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 14, 2019 12:51 AM

Oct 2013
I can't stand when a gag that wasn't all that funny to begin with gets used over and over and over again within the same show. Like every time Yuuna tossed Kogarashi out the window every morning because her bad sleeping habits made her wake up on top of him constantly. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san is one of the few shows I continued watching entirely because I liked how some of the female characters looked.
Jun 14, 2019 12:56 AM
Nov 2017
Maybe because of a bad character? I don't know.

But what I know about my taste that I don't like anime or anything at all that has bad character, even the concept is interesting. For example, Mirai Nikki. Yeah, I know Gasai Yuuno is a good character, but not the MC. Even though the concept is cool, but the character makes the story so bad.

Even if it's just a mediocre concept, if the story has a good character, especially the MC, I will love it.
Jun 14, 2019 1:21 AM

Nov 2014
- Blatant otaku pandering. I don't mind the portrayal of otakus in animes, like in Genshiken, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Steins;Gate and but when it seems the show glorifies being an otaku, i start to cringe. Which it brings me to my next point.

- Self-indulgence and reward of cheap escapism. Like in The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Re:Creators (i swear to God with the last one sometimes i could see the anime industry's circle jerk)

- Uncompelling characters in uncompelling situations. Like in Shokugeki no Souma, where our flawless protagonist never faces any real challenge.

- The combo Isekai + Based on Light Novel + Harem + otaku MC. Like in Overlord, KonoSuba and Zero no Tsukaima.

- The narrative expect me to root for a couple which i don't want to see together. Like in Zero no Tsukaima, Angel Sanctuary, OreImo and Honey x Honey Drops.

- Teenage melodramas that try to hard to be sad with characters i can't sympathize if my life depended on it. Like Clannad, Charlotte and Ano Hana.
Jun 14, 2019 1:24 AM
Jul 2018
-Characters
-Friendship = power
-Authors failing to satisfy fan's expectations
-Inconsistencies in the plot
Jun 14, 2019 1:28 AM

Feb 2015
When a story keeps piling up more questions than it's giving answers. Mystery is okay, but I don't want to be confused on everything that's happening.
Jun 14, 2019 1:43 AM
Oct 2017
In one word it would be incoherence. I don't mind if the story does not progress according to my preference, but when it seems like the author is trying to force a twist just because they think it will be good while it feels unnatural with the rest of the story, that can be really off-putting. That, and because the story is uninteresting for me.

I feel you on the shiki one. I didn't even drop it; I lost interest to continue watching it.
Jun 14, 2019 1:48 AM
Dec 2013
I'll add a point which it seems like it hasn't been mentioned: I dislike when the MC pulls through out of "power of will" without even trying to do anything smart. When a character loses because it has been straight up overpowered by the "burning fire of friendship" or some shit like that, I feel like my brain just skips whatever is happening because it's so cliche. This is pretty much the main reason why I've given up on the likes of Black Clover.

Also when some character is too bone-headed and keeps making moral-sound decisions because "it's right" and reality often works in his favor in the aftermath. This is just absurd. Speaking more broadly, I feel like most characters don't dread over their losses/sentiments enough and "overcome difficulties" in a meaningless way that doesn't make me feel anything.
Jun 14, 2019 2:21 AM
Jul 2017
I dislike netorare
and also unnecessary character that come into the hero and heroine just to destroy their good (or not good yet) relationship.

If it is not too much, then it is okay. but something that happen on Tsuki ga Kirei (i only watch until episode 3) is too much for me.
Jun 14, 2019 2:57 AM

May 2009
I could list my usual response -- that I tend to dislike blatant fanservice, contrived premises, and asshole protags -- but this thread seems more interesting than that.

Ryuk9428 said:
Beyond something obvious like its boring. Most of the time "being boring" pretty much just means that you specifically couldn't get into the concept of the story. What really makes you think the story was not very well written though?
For me, "being boring" is actually not a problem, because -- between a combination of (a) prechoosing things that have aspect(s) I like (particularly character art), (b) wanting a story to succeed, and (c) generally being patient because I enjoy "taking in the atmosphere" of things -- I rarely end up feeling bored. This also means I can put up with long setups and "slow burns", which is nice because they tend to have quite respectable "payoffs".

(If a story is "boring" in the sense that not much happened by the time I got to the end, I usually instead describe that as "the story didn't go anywhere" instead. And that usually just gets me feeling "meh" about it, not hating it.)

Ryuk9428 said:
I can enjoy pretty much any genre of story out there, I like to go into a story having a pretty good idea of what to expect from it but I can also enjoy stories that are intentionally left vague so as to take the viewer on numerous plot twists. I think one of the reasons why my mean score is pretty high is because I tend to be pretty forgiving and enjoy the vast majority of stories I do come across. I do like creating my own stories a lot in my free time so often times I can see things from the creator's perspective and enjoy what they created.
Like you, I think I'm relatively forgiving, in the sense that I usually don't demand that a story follow certain story designs, and a variety of them (even some "tropey" ones) are ones I appreciate, so -- as long as a combination of factors can keep me engaged, and there are reasonable payoffs for the setups -- I can enjoy pretty much almost any plot type, except comedy, which is still hit-or-miss because it operates differently. Beyond this, I certainly also have preferences, such as involving setting genre and story tack (e.g. comedy vs. drama).

But a factor likely to irritate me well into a show is if I feel it takes a turn that betrays the spirit of the story, particularly for an ending. Plot twists are generally okay, as long as they feel like they contribute to a cohesive overall journey, but occasionally they feel like they're trying to totally upend some themes of the story (or screw over characters I'm particularly fond of), and I give low scores for this.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 14, 2019 3:22 AM

Nov 2011
-Inconsistencies in the world bulding and character development..
-Plot armor
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 14, 2019 9:16 AM

Oct 2008
The story is 1/3 idea (original or subjectively interesting)
1/3 - character development (backstory, Romance)
And 1/3 - plot development (progress of the story in a way that I find interesting or entertaining, or compelling)

Usually the story of an anime is generic or average or even boring. So I depend on the backstory first and the characters second.
Jun 14, 2019 9:33 AM

Aug 2015
Sometime idk why it's "boring" either.. but there are some that I can conclude.. that is either:
1. Doesn't have a genre I'm fond of
2. A lot of dragging / uselessly long dialogue or talk about topic I would likely not understand anyway (like politics or economy)
3. A whinny girl is a main FMC.

But even so, I wouldn't call it "dislike". After all, even if it's "boring", as long as there's something that can make up to it (like a character or ost that I like) I would still likely give it above 6.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jun 14, 2019 9:53 AM

Oct 2017
Anime with a serious tone/serious story, that has plot sequence/ characters' actions that is directly insulting my IQ and rationality is a big red flag , and I'd either drop it or give it very low score.

Mirai Nikki / Ousama Game/ Rising of the Shield Hero ring the bell.
SAO sometimes has this issue too, but at least the characters are bearable enough for me finish it. (guess they should be thanking the art director and animator.)

Oh, trash isekai with the most generic / boring setting and generic otaku turns op the moment he transfer to the new world like the stupid grandchild this season, I wouldn't even give it a chance. Drop it first episode and gave it a 1/10.

Jun 14, 2019 10:01 AM

Oct 2017
Meira_Eve said:
Sometime idk why it's "boring" either.. but there are some that I can conclude.. that is either:
2. A lot of dragging / uselessly long dialogue or talk about topic I would likely not understand anyway (like politics or economy)

But even so, I wouldn't call it "dislike". After all, even if it's "boring", as long as there's something that can make up to it (like a character or ost that I like) I would still likely give it above 6.

Hey the 3 points you mentioned.
Fairy Gone rings the bell.
Have you watched it :P? You'd probably hate it.
Jun 14, 2019 10:03 AM

Aug 2015
Ventus_S said:
Meira_Eve said:

Hey the 3 points you mentioned.
Fairy Gone rings the bell.
Have you watched it :P? You'd probably hate it.
No, I haven't watched it. I was planning to tho since the art looks nice...
I need to thank you for saying this. Now I don't have to waste my time.. XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jun 14, 2019 10:10 AM

Mar 2019
A severe lack of loli, traps, incest, casual domestic violence/sexual assault, and/or tentacles makes everything boring really.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 14, 2019 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Just give ad bit serious love rival to the MC and my liking will turn to be disliking or hatred. That's the only thing that makes me dislike a story really.
Jun 14, 2019 10:17 AM

Aug 2018
1)Irrational behavior for the sake of plot convenience or shock factor

2)Cliche villains

3)One dimensional characters

4)Lack of plot progression, this is why I for the most part hate episodic anime.
<Insert clever quote>
Jun 14, 2019 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
Something that doesn't necessarily make me dislike the whole show, but certainly gets me annoyed to no end is when most characters in the anime can't stop talking about how awesome the MC is. Like when every hunter in HxH keeps going on and on about how strong Gon is. Just give me evidence of his awesomeness, don't shove it down my gullet.
Jun 14, 2019 11:01 AM

Jul 2013
Bad characters and unnatural dialogue/exposition. I can bear some plot inconsistencies and conveniences as long as I like the characters.
Jun 14, 2019 11:36 AM

Jun 2019
I also like a broad range of genres (basically everything but romcoms, ecchi, and sports) in anime and outside of it. I am looking for a great story and just as with a different meal that comes in all manner of shapes and sizes and flavors that can be appreciated on different levels for different reasons.

Something that doesn't resonate with me at all is when people say "I'm bored". I could literally watch a squirrel frolic in a patch of grass for four hours and not be bored or watch moisture evaporate in slow motion. I like seeing snapshots of our world reflected like a mirror in some cases and, in other cases, heightened and transfigured for dramatic purposes in ways that make you truly think and feel on a high level.

I can relish both a long protracted epic about a geopolitical struggle between two or more real or fictional rival polities that incorporates a lot of philosophy and ideological debates, a body horror with disease or psychosis as the main antagonist, a sci-fi about space exploration, cybernetics, transhumanism, consciousness, robotics, and time travel; a Slice of Life about teen girls working in a bakery or racing box turtles, and all kinds of other stuff and everything in-between.

So I would say I fall into the category of a type of viewer who is extremely tolerant and open to new experiences.

With all that said, there are three distinct either storytelling styles or facets of poor storytelling that really dampen my enjoyment and experience and if they're bad enough, they can make me want to quit a show or actually follow through and do it:

1) Non-linear storytelling. I really don't want to have the story be told in a series of constant flashbacks and flash forwards so much so that you lose the plot of who anybody even is and why you should care what's happening. I would also tie in to this constant dream sequences or imaginary sequences that distort the reality enough so that you're not sure what you're ever watching is actually happening so in time you stop caring about any of it. I don't like when events that happened long after the series ended or from the perspective of a character we haven't even met yet are thrown into the middle of the story.

I don't want to be disenchanted watching episode six of a 13 or 26 or 50 episode series and get told I just have to wait until the end for it to all makes sense. No, not everything needs to be explained to a tee out of the gate, but I want what I'm watching now to make enough sense for me to actually feel invested in viewing it. I dislike shows where you're intended by design to not have a clue what the hell is transpiring for 90% of it and only tie it together in the last episode or last five minutes. That can make the end cathartic but 90%+ of the time watching unpleasant. That can in theory make a rewatch enjoyable but a first watch painful and it's not generally a trade-off worth it for me.

2) Excessive and gratuitous over-reliance on cliffhangers to ratchet up artificial tension. Shingeki no Kyojin and especially season two epitomize this and as I've commented on here before, that's why I ultimately dropped the show and didn't look back. It's a goddamn insult to watch five minutes of a recap, have the main part of the episode be circlejerking spinning wheels, and then just set up a big cliffhanger intended to dazzle in every single episode regardless of how important it actually is for the story or how much it's actually followed up and addressed with anything satisfying in the next episode (Spoiler Warning: It usually isn't).

This feels beyond cheap, gimmicky, and like your show lacks any substance so you just want to market suspense in and of itself and have nothing satisfying to substantiate it. It's an emperor with no clothes that makes me feel the sleazy marketing strategy in every episode.

3) Poor dialogue. Self-explanatory. When the writing is abysmal it impoverishes every aspect of the story, not just in narrative structure but making you wince and shake your head at basic character interactions. Or how about a part of the story that's really unique and promising? Let's cut to black, fade out, or in some other way never touch on it again. Let's have characters only speak in catchphrases and constant unfunny quips and demonstrate no emotional or intellectual depth or logic or sense of any realism, but have them just spit one-liners like a trading card or 80s action figure. Fuck this. Poor writing is cancer.
WatchTillTandavaJun 14, 2019 11:41 AM
Jun 14, 2019 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
If everything feels disconnected, sterile, and/or the pacing is as slow as molasses. Sometimes visuals are used to try to make up for this so I consider that hollow. Also, something that is truly incoherent. Also shows that are exploitative and promote shitty messages while addressing real problems. Also, I highly dislike shows with indulgent dialogue that isn't self-aware.
Jun 14, 2019 11:45 AM
Feb 2019
When characters have no common sense or the story goes a very cliché way. Other than that, there's not many things that will make me angry.
Jun 14, 2019 11:46 AM

Jun 2012
PantsuSenseiUwU said:
bad story
on a serious note
what makes me dislike a story is usually the characters I'm given
an example would be Re:Zero
I like Isekai but I can't stand Subaru or the rest of the cast, besides Emilia
I didn't even get to meet best girl felix
also episodes blended in because it's him dying and coming back to life and that's it

I also dislike openers that spoil too much, I always watch and listen to the openers of every anime. But when I saw Asta's demon form before I saw it in the anime, I was actually a little disappointed. Let me find out thru the show, not the openers.
The massive problem with Re:Zero was the characterizations. Given the premise of the series, there should have been a much darker tone and a greater sense of gravity. The character is being killed each time to be brought back to take another approach and try to find the right course of actions that would secure his survival, but for some reason, the character never grows or adapts accordingly. Instead, Subaru continues with his light-hearted shenanigans as if the situation isn't as grim as it really is. When you have a series with such a mismatched setting, premise and tone, you can't take it seriously, especially when characters flippantly transition between joking to serious. When the characters had serious conversations and there was exposition about the scenarios or the cast themselves, it's hard to take seriously when Subaro is still addressing his peers with pet names and acting like it's all a big joke. The times Subaro was serious or the times other cast members referred to how he has hardened eyes were a joke to me. The anime staff really needed to decide whether they wanted it all to be a joke or for it to be serious, because with the premise that was given, it couldn't be both.

These Groundhog Day-esque series are typically very disappointing and need to take a page or two out of the Higurashi book when they want to implement a thing or two about juxtaposition.

As for the topic at hand... very hard question to answer. I don't know what makes me dislike a series other than a few things specific to anime series of old that have died out for the most part in recent years. Even the shows I don't enjoy, I don't really consider as being bad. I kind of just stopped giving a shit about good and bad. I guess if something is actually frustrating or worse to watch/read, I consider it bad.
HolybaptiserJun 14, 2019 11:49 AM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 14, 2019 11:47 AM

Dec 2012
-There are major plot holes you could drive a mac truck through
-There are extreme leaps of stretched logic that don't make sense
-Rules for the world are established, then they break their own rules without sufficient explanation
-It does not give you sufficient time to get attached to the characters it's killing off left and right and you just don't care
-It has pacing that seems too fast or too slow for the story so that you can tell they are compressing things, omitting things, or dragging things out.
-If it is a show based on something real and told in a serious manner, but the facts are wrong (not just for embelishment either I mean bad research)
-The story is a mishmash of genres and cliches that don't fit well together and feel Google translated the logic of this story.
KruszerJun 14, 2019 12:02 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 14, 2019 12:36 PM

Feb 2016
@Holybaptiser I went in thinking I was getting a KonoSuba-like show, oh was I wrong.
It's like you said, the tone was very flip floppy. I have two moods when it comes to anime, mood for something funny and a mood for anything else. When I started watching this, I was not looking for anything with that tone. Would have just watched When They Cry instead.

I was in the same boat with picking something that makes me dislike an anime. So I just thought of the animes I didn't enjoy (not very many) and disected why I didn't enjoy them. Turns out it's the characters, turns out that's usually the reason I dislike something.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 14, 2019 3:44 PM

Jul 2016
The pacing definitely. Aside from that, poor directing, undeveloped characters, cliche concept.

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

71 by AverageRiceFan »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 3 hours ago

17 by Serafos »»
12 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

71 by AverageRiceFan »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

84 by Hikinekomori »»
23 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

113 by lycan_ »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.