Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

[Unpopular Opinion] If No Game No Life were to release nowadays its rating would be less than what it is now

No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 13, 2019 9:23 AM

May 2019
[This is my personal opinion and is highly subjective. You are allowed to disagree, present a counter argument or debate. Every argument has a counter argument and I believe my argument has one too. I would like to hear it from you. An argument without a counter argument is a straight up fact which can't be debated. Please don't get infuriated just because an argument doesn't align with your beliefs]

As the title implied. If No Game No Life were to release nowadays it would get less rating. Let me clarify why?

There are two main reasons why I think that
1. The genre is oversaturated
2. No Game No Life may be enjoyable but it has flaws

1. The first point is self-explanatory and applies to most of the isekai series. Over saturation in isekai is an issue that I think almost all anime watchers are aware of. The concept has been used so many time most of the shows are a copy of each other with ever so slight changes. Even if we ignore copy pasta most of the isekai shows use cheap cliches and tropes. Personally, I wouldn't mind an isekai series that copies the typical formula but gets the basic storytelling elements right. I remembered I a guy telling me that Re; Zero is the best isekai show. When that guy said that I tried to think of a show that is better(Note 1) than Re; Zero(If you know one please let me know). Despite so many shows, the most impact an isekai show had is SAO which isn't exactly a classic masterpiece. It may be a classic if your basis is popularity but in terms of writing. It is big no. Manga/LN authors are essentially throwing stuff on a wall hoping something would stick and by a chance, something sticks. If a story does stick the writing quality of that story is usually average when compared to other genres. Basically to create a famous isekai show you need a story that doesn't completely suck but also doesn't need to completely blow your mind away as well.

2. In No Game No life our main characters play games against to win different stuff. Each match is supposed to put the viewer in dilemma or make them worried that how our protagonist can overcome the hurdle. This was only true for a handful of matches. After that the story kinda becomes predictable. Now you can argue that that is not the first time anime has done that and every shonen battle anime is like that. The important part is the journey and not the end so just enjoy the matches. Right? Fine. The journey is important but you need to create stakes in order to make sure the audience is really invested. A lot of shonen show also succumb to this issue which is created by ever-increasing stakes that become forced after a while. A lot of shonen anime that got around it fixed the issue by introducing the power scale. In No Game No Life the highest level player would be Teto and by simply having a serious matching against him and making the character lose might fix the issue. Also, this gives the audience something to look forward to. I know I am yammering about the repetitive nature of games. Let us say it is fixed somehow. My other issue would be characters and how the show treats the audience. The previous issue compared to this isn't that big of the deal. So the first issue would be even though the show says Sora and Shiro are both equally important. In reality, only Sora seems to be the protagonist of the show. Shiro is like a supporting character rather than the main character. The show uses Shiro to create stakes in the show which is fine but it should do it with a more balanced approach so that it is actually even. Besides Main Cast, the supporting cast of the show also suffers. Like Stephanie whose only purpose is to act dumb to make main characters explain what is going on. The show doesn't remain consistent with it. The show makes her dumb or smart just for convenience which makes it feels like that the show is taking a jab at the audience for being ignorant. Also, the show makes the main cast look smart by making everyone around them dumb. This is really stupid(A show airing nowadays also seems to be suffering from the same issue. Hint: Shield). The remaining is filled with typical cliche anime characters including (loli, fox girls, elf, angels, etc...) even so when our MC defeats a character. They kinda become useless or underutilized which makes them look like cardboard cutouts.

Last but not least. No game no life is an enjoyable show but 8.37 might be too high for it. Keep in mind that I am not saying that this show should have 6 > rating. An acceptable rating for me would be [7.0-8). The has a lot of things going for it but I think people exaggerate it. If you disagree with my opinion please let me know and provide detail so I know how I am wrong. Thank you for reading my big complaint note.

Note 1: When I was looking for a show that is better than Re; Zero. I wasn't counting the shows that are equal or come close it. I was looking for classics that one would say are masterpieces. Re; Zero is not there yet. In fact, no incomplete show should be given that status. Shows can turn shit just before ending so for me only complete shows can be a candidate for classic masterpieces. I put shows that are incomplete but good in a separate list.
obvious_trollJun 13, 2019 10:35 AM
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Jun 13, 2019 9:36 AM

May 2019
Where are No Game No Life fans at?
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 13, 2019 10:08 PM
Aug 2018
obvious_troll said:
Where are No Game No Life fans at?

Crying in our beds that there is no S2 yet.
Jun 26, 2019 12:00 AM
Jun 2019
You gave quite a long speech about how it has flaws and compared it even with some boring isekai anime.. but u are just ignoring the level of intelligence 'Yuu Kamiya' has put ....It had very unique ideas along with the likeable mc who don't give a damn about what the damn world thinks as he plays for WIN and not like typical shounen mc for saving his friends weak n world (I think this is more used plot than isekai and ironically u and everyone still watch them)......Some boring anime including that slime one and Noragami have 8+ then why not masterpiece like NNGL...Please just because You hate the Gener don't go on bad-mouthing about this one....And every anime has flaws including masterpiece like One Piece , Naruto, even legend Death Note.....So plz just don't ignore it's good points just because u hate the Genre ....
Nxt_ArsenicJun 26, 2019 12:06 AM
Jul 11, 2019 9:51 PM

May 2019
Nxt_Arsenic said:
You gave quite a long speech about how it has flaws and compared it even with some boring isekai anime.. but u are just ignoring the level of intelligence 'Yuu Kamiya' has put ....It had very unique ideas along with the likeable mc who don't give a damn about what the damn world thinks as he plays for WIN and not like typical shounen mc for saving his friends weak n world (I think this is more used plot than isekai and ironically u and everyone still watch them)......Some boring anime including that slime one and Noragami have 8+ then why not masterpiece like NNGL...Please just because You hate the Gener don't go on bad-mouthing about this one....And every anime has flaws including masterpiece like One Piece , Naruto, even legend Death Note.....So plz just don't ignore it's good points just because u hate the Genre ....

I don't think NGNL is shit or anything. It is probably better than most isekai nowadays since most protagonist are just self-insert. I guess from that perspective NGNL has advantage. I haven't watched slime and I don't think Noragami is masterpiece. Keep in mind just just because I think something isn't masterpiece that doesn't mean I hate it. I have started to dislike isekai genre because is often use cheap tricks. The genre has potential but it doesn't play to its strength.
Your Waifu is trash
Jul 12, 2019 1:48 AM
Jun 2019
[quote=obvious_troll]
Nxt_Arsenic said:

I don't think NGNL is shit or anything. It is probably better than most isekai nowadays since most protagonist are just self-insert. I guess from that perspective NGNL has advantage. I haven't watched slime and I don't think Noragami is masterpiece. Keep in mind just just because I think something isn't masterpiece that doesn't mean I hate it. I have started to dislike isekai genre because is often use cheap tricks. The genre has potential but it doesn't play to its strength.

Yes!this genre definitely has potential and I also think that in most of the cases in such anime mc is given too much😖😖 power and that too without any logic..(for instance..in Slime one mc could do any thing...anything means anyyytthhing and so I dropped it)...But in NGNL although mc is shown little bit overpowered but the writer makes up for it by explaining how it happened... he gives some logic...and its not like woosh-waash and mc wins like in other isekai and some shonen too...also you can also see them being weak if season 2 is made.....N if S2 ever happens it will show the real impact a isekai can have....because story gets better and better.....

Edit: I recommend you not to watch Slime one .....even if its MAL score is high ....You should watch The King's Avatar(ONA) its not isekai basically but..its S2 (or Specials) are really good and related to the story.....your opinion might change after watching that
Nxt_ArsenicJul 12, 2019 1:58 AM
Jul 12, 2019 2:21 PM

Apr 2017
I don't think NGNL won't score less if it's release today. For my opinion, NGNL is more unique than other isekai anime since it has mind games concept that is well executed/done and pretty well explained, Thanks to Madhouse.

Overused Shonen concept that is used in older anime that still used today doesn't really effect the scorings to be lower. Look at My Hero Academia even it has a typical shonen tropes, the scoring in MAL is very high. While in Black Clover, it also has many shonen cliches like MHA but it has low scorings. The scoring in MAL doesn't fall for overused concepts, it's based on how the anime is executed well.

My main problem in this anime are the huge amount of unnecessary fanservice compared to other isekai series that I watched (I don't watch isekai that much). I really love the concept of this show. For my opinion, NGNL has a huge potential for being a masterpiece but it is wasted. This show would be better in many ways. Not only NGNL, This is mostly applied to the most anime I watched that are originally based from Light Novels.
KingushiiJul 12, 2019 2:25 PM
Jul 12, 2019 2:28 PM
May 2019
Judging how popular isekai is I have to disagree if anything it would be higher.
The only bad thing about No Game No Life is the fact that there is no 2 Season.

Edit: I just saw your user name you got me this time😜
Jul 27, 2019 7:32 PM
Apr 2018
obvious_troll said:
[This is my personal opinion and is highly subjective. You are allowed to disagree, present a counter argument or debate. Every argument has a counter argument and I believe my argument has one too. I would like to hear it from you. An argument without a counter argument is a straight up fact which can't be debated. Please don't get infuriated just because an argument doesn't align with your beliefs]

As the title implied. If No Game No Life were to release nowadays it would get less rating. Let me clarify why?

There are two main reasons why I think that
1. The genre is oversaturated
2. No Game No Life may be enjoyable but it has flaws

1. The first point is self-explanatory and applies to most of the isekai series. Over saturation in isekai is an issue that I think almost all anime watchers are aware of. The concept has been used so many time most of the shows are a copy of each other with ever so slight changes. Even if we ignore copy pasta most of the isekai shows use cheap cliches and tropes. Personally, I wouldn't mind an isekai series that copies the typical formula but gets the basic storytelling elements right. I remembered I a guy telling me that Re; Zero is the best isekai show. When that guy said that I tried to think of a show that is better(Note 1) than Re; Zero(If you know one please let me know). Despite so many shows, the most impact an isekai show had is SAO which isn't exactly a classic masterpiece. It may be a classic if your basis is popularity but in terms of writing. It is big no. Manga/LN authors are essentially throwing stuff on a wall hoping something would stick and by a chance, something sticks. If a story does stick the writing quality of that story is usually average when compared to other genres. Basically to create a famous isekai show you need a story that doesn't completely suck but also doesn't need to completely blow your mind away as well.

2. In No Game No life our main characters play games against to win different stuff. Each match is supposed to put the viewer in dilemma or make them worried that how our protagonist can overcome the hurdle. This was only true for a handful of matches. After that the story kinda becomes predictable. Now you can argue that that is not the first time anime has done that and every shonen battle anime is like that. The important part is the journey and not the end so just enjoy the matches. Right? Fine. The journey is important but you need to create stakes in order to make sure the audience is really invested. A lot of shonen show also succumb to this issue which is created by ever-increasing stakes that become forced after a while. A lot of shonen anime that got around it fixed the issue by introducing the power scale. In No Game No Life the highest level player would be Teto and by simply having a serious matching against him and making the character lose might fix the issue. Also, this gives the audience something to look forward to. I know I am yammering about the repetitive nature of games. Let us say it is fixed somehow. My other issue would be characters and how the show treats the audience. The previous issue compared to this isn't that big of the deal. So the first issue would be even though the show says Sora and Shiro are both equally important. In reality, only Sora seems to be the protagonist of the show. Shiro is like a supporting character rather than the main character. The show uses Shiro to create stakes in the show which is fine but it should do it with a more balanced approach so that it is actually even. Besides Main Cast, the supporting cast of the show also suffers. Like Stephanie whose only purpose is to act dumb to make main characters explain what is going on. The show doesn't remain consistent with it. The show makes her dumb or smart just for convenience which makes it feels like that the show is taking a jab at the audience for being ignorant. Also, the show makes the main cast look smart by making everyone around them dumb. This is really stupid(A show airing nowadays also seems to be suffering from the same issue. Hint: Shield). The remaining is filled with typical cliche anime characters including (loli, fox girls, elf, angels, etc...) even so when our MC defeats a character. They kinda become useless or underutilized which makes them look like cardboard cutouts.

Last but not least. No game no life is an enjoyable show but 8.37 might be too high for it. Keep in mind that I am not saying that this show should have 6 > rating. An acceptable rating for me would be [7.0-8). The has a lot of things going for it but I think people exaggerate it. If you disagree with my opinion please let me know and provide detail so I know how I am wrong. Thank you for reading my big complaint note.

Note 1: When I was looking for a show that is better than Re; Zero. I wasn't counting the shows that are equal or come close it. I was looking for classics that one would say are masterpieces. Re; Zero is not there yet. In fact, no incomplete show should be given that status. Shows can turn shit just before ending so for me only complete shows can be a candidate for classic masterpieces. I put shows that are incomplete but good in a separate list.

If mha has that much popularity (it's average for me), then why not ngnl . Ngnl got popular due to it's unique adaptation(and comedy too).
Aug 9, 2019 12:55 AM
Jan 2019
it might true if the no game no life release nowadays
but most Isekai genre releasing right now or in the past mostly trash (i like some Isekai back then not right in summer 2019(i mean the new adaptation except Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II i guest)but it depend in naive people who like trash isekai that actually trash story line(and i'm a trash i guest so because i like Kenja no Mango in the start but i realise it was a trash to))

and i'm desperate to watch no game no life season 2
Aug 10, 2019 9:43 AM

May 2019
Anoo-Domini said:
but most Isekai genre releasing right now or in the past mostly trash (i like some Isekai back then not right in summer 2019(i mean the new adaptation except Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II i guest)but it depend in naive people who like trash isekai that actually trash story line(and i'm a trash i guest so because i like Kenja no Mango in the start but i realise it was a trash to))

I won't mind NGNL S2. This season of isekai is really trash (unwatchable level). Let's hope Madhouse in this decade will give us s2. I have heard they are working on Overlord S4.
Your Waifu is trash
Sep 5, 2019 12:08 AM
May 2019
Even a top 1 anime on MAL has some 1 and 2 score rate
It's fine that you don't like it, but others may not, so just ignore the score
Sep 5, 2019 12:28 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
NGNL had like 8.87 when it finished airing and then gradually dropped over the years when the hype started to die out. If the show had aired for the first time today it'd thus naturally also have a lot higher than its current 8.36 at least before it'd go into its drop-off phase in the same way. But yeah I doubt it'd have finished quite as high as 8.87 today considering how many isekai shows there have been in the last couple years

But anyway you can basically make the same argument for any anime that was a big part of popularizing a genre back in the day so it's a bit pointless speculating here

Nevertheless despite how saturated the isekai genre is today, I'll still maintain that nothing has come out from it yet that was quite as good as NGNL. Mushoku Tensei, Re:Zero and KonoSuba are probably the closest to it but I digress. In any case, it's still one of the most highly requested anime on the planet to get a second season one day so I'm sure it'll still get a great deal of attention if that was to actually happen. The movie brought back some of that but obviously a full season would do more
HaXXspettenSep 5, 2019 12:32 AM
Sep 5, 2019 3:02 PM

Aug 2016
I still don't know how this shit was rated high in the first place when it's barely different from SAO, which people hate.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 6, 2019 9:24 PM

Mar 2009
Ryu1908 said:
I still don't know how this shit was rated high in the first place when it's barely different from SAO, which people hate.

I stopped trying to understand this long time ago, cause it makes no sense. Like everything that people hate SAO for its in this series. It's even worse - it got more op protag than Kirito and way more pointless fanservice, more pedo bait, more incest bait. Like it's mystery for me.
3 setps to become Masochist:
1. Read source material
2. Watch anime adaptation
3. Suffer
Bonus Step: Tell everyone that anime is crap becouse Manga/Novel is better (duh..)

How to find the worst trash anime ever, so bad that people should be ashamed for even knowing this trash exist:
1. Check your favorite anime
2. Enjoy your shit taste pleb
Works everytime for everyone.
Nov 4, 2019 3:50 AM
Oct 2017
Talking about 7-8 rating for NGNL and full serious means that Re:Zero is better lol
Nov 4, 2019 12:39 PM

May 2019
YukiteruSora said:
Talking about 7-8 rating for NGNL and full serious means that Re:Zero is better lol
Hey at least it is popular enough to get a season 2.
Your Waifu is trash
Nov 7, 2019 4:39 PM

Sep 2014
robhans said:
Ryu1908 said:

I stopped trying to understand this long time ago, cause it makes no sense. Like everything that people hate SAO for its in this series. It's even worse - it got more op protag than Kirito and way more pointless fanservice, more pedo bait, more incest bait. Like it's mystery for me.

Totally agree with you two about this mystery. Heck, even Death March is better than NGNL in everything and it has a score of 6.71
Nov 9, 2019 5:59 PM
Sep 2016
So here's the thing. You may be right, except that it's been shown even through the oversaturation of the Isekai genre and through the flaws many Isekai anime have that many anime with an entertaining premise, solid visuals/soundtrack, and engaging characters, can rate very high even in 2019.

Take That Time I Was Reincarnated As A Slime and Rise Of The Shield Hero for example. Both of similar overall quality as No Game No Life, both released in an oversaturated genre, and both flawed. Yet, when you check they're both relatively at the same score as No Game No Life (8.1 - 8.4).

Does that mean that they should have scores above an 8.0? Probably not, but since the general consensus is that they should be accoriding to the scores, it would make sense that a show of a similar quality like No Game No Life would be given a similar score by the general audience.

If by lower you mean by a tenth of a point or so, I'd be inclined to agree with you more, though it's hard to tell nowadays, but if you're suggesting NGNL would drop below an 8.0 if it were released now, I'd say you're underestimating the current state Isekai genre and that, even with its flaws, a higher quality Isekai like NGNL would handle stay above a 8.0 like other Isekai have done as recent as earlier this year.
Nov 9, 2019 6:24 PM

Sep 2011
It was kind of lightning in a bottle popularity, and this was definitely a series that saw an almost immediate drop off in popularity when it ended which isnt exactly uncommon. But I feel like its kind of pointless to even speculate how it would of done now since you can say the exact same thing for tons of stuff that were popular if you released them at a different time, trends die down or change priorities. I doubt many of the things that blow up would actually retain the same impact if released at a different period, like would Madoka or Evangelion have anywhere near the same level of impact had they been released this season?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 9, 2019 6:53 PM

May 2019
JizzyHitler said:
It was kind of lightning in a bottle popularity, and this was definitely a series that saw an almost immediate drop off in popularity when it ended which isnt exactly uncommon. But I feel like its kind of pointless to even speculate how it would of done now since you can say the exact same thing for tons of stuff that were popular if you released them at a different time, trends die down or change priorities. I doubt many of the things that blow up would actually retain the same impact if released at a different period, like would Madoka or Evangelion have anywhere near the same level of impact had they been released this season?

Evangelion if released today would offend a lot of people. I can see many people labeling it edgy or bad. I do see your point.
Your Waifu is trash
Nov 15, 2019 8:40 AM
Nov 2018
Anoo-Domini said:

Why do so many of you consider danmachi an isekai? Not every adventure story is an isekai or maybe I'm missing something but since the sub-genre blew up I see many people classify it as an isekai. It has many similarities with popular isekai and has many of the tropes used but the essential part of being isekai is the "going to another word" plot device, through either being summoned, reincarnated or transferred and Bell wasn't from another world
Nov 16, 2019 3:31 AM
Jan 2019
Im_a_ge_ said:
Anoo-Domini said:

Why do so many of you consider danmachi an isekai? Not every adventure story is an isekai or maybe I'm missing something but since the sub-genre blew up I see many people classify it as an isekai. It has many similarities with popular isekai and has many of the tropes used but the essential part of being isekai is the "going to another word" plot device, through either being summoned, reincarnated or transferred and Bell wasn't from another world

oh I forgot sorry my mistake, well I don't remember that anime so much and people refer this to as an isekai genre and I have a poor memory so and I only watch half of it (first season) so if I heard this name I remember this an Isekai well the genre is similar to other isekai (comedy, romance, harem, action) so many people have mistaken it
Anoo-DominiNov 16, 2019 3:35 AM
Nov 24, 2019 8:00 AM

Jul 2014
I somewhat agree, but for different reasons.

When Rising of the Shield Hero came out, people said, "Oh no, this is misogynistic filth! It promotes rape culture!" because he gets falsely accused of rape and buys a girl as a slave, even though the show doesn't claim all rape victims are liars and he generally treats his slave like an equal.

So considering how in this series, Sora is constantly molesting other girls and treats them like objects, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bigger backlash against NGNL and it had a lower rating if it came out now.
D-ohnutsNov 24, 2019 8:05 AM
Nov 24, 2019 9:11 AM

May 2019
D-ohnuts said:
I somewhat agree, but for different reasons.

When Rising of the Shield Hero came out, people said, "Oh no, this is misogynistic filth! It promotes rape culture!" because he gets falsely accused of rape and buys a girl as a slave, even though the show doesn't claim all rape victims are liars and he generally treats his slave like an equal.

So considering how in this series, Sora is constantly molesting other girls and treats them like objects, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bigger backlash against NGNL and it had a lower rating if it came out now.

Hmm. Interesting point, Sora might even get labeled as pedophile.
Your Waifu is trash
Feb 7, 2020 12:32 PM
Dec 2018
-Ryu said:

You must watch anime with at an AMAZINGLY shallow level if you think NGNL is "barely any different" than SAO. They're barely even the same. They have completely different worlds, underlying plots, characters, character dynamics, tone, messaging. It's exceptionally clear you don't even understand the basic plot elements in either of those series.

The only think they have in common is they involve playing games and even that is in a completely different way. If it's the trivial bullshit like fan service or op characters or whatever that are you defining traits for "exactly the same" then setting aside that being the world's most idiotic criteria for drawing a comparison, because NGNL is fundamentally different that SAO in tone, themes, and characterization (aka: the meat of any story) the fan service and OP characters work because NGNL is an over-the-top comedy. There isn't a genuinely serious moment in it. Hell, NGNL the series is significantly different than even NGNL:Zero.

Also SAO is one of the most popular anime series around so "everyone" most certainly doesn't hate it and you're an idiot if you believe that. A very small, vocal group who think their elite but apparently with the depth of toddlers hates it. Most people think it's at least decent. Personally I find some of it good and some of it boring but shows that everyone hate don't get nearly 100 eps and multiple movies. That should just be common sense but then I'm talking to some who thinks SAO and NGNL are "exactly" the same so you can't be working with much up there.
Feb 7, 2020 1:55 PM

Aug 2016
DarkSaintOfGin said:
You must watch anime with at an AMAZINGLY shallow level if you think NGNL is "barely any different" than SAO. They're barely even the same. They have completely different worlds, underlying plots, characters, character dynamics, tone, messaging. It's exceptionally clear you don't even understand the basic plot elements in either of those series.

The only think they have in common is they involve playing games and even that is in a completely different way. If it's the trivial bullshit like fan service or op characters or whatever that are you defining traits for "exactly the same" then setting aside that being the world's most idiotic criteria for drawing a comparison, because NGNL is fundamentally different that SAO in tone, themes, and characterization (aka: the meat of any story) the fan service and OP characters work because NGNL is an over-the-top comedy. There isn't a genuinely serious moment in it. Hell, NGNL the series is significantly different than even NGNL:Zero.

Also SAO is one of the most popular anime series around so "everyone" most certainly doesn't hate it and you're an idiot if you believe that. A very small, vocal group who think their elite but apparently with the depth of toddlers hates it. Most people think it's at least decent. Personally I find some of it good and some of it boring but shows that everyone hate don't get nearly 100 eps and multiple movies. That should just be common sense but then I'm talking to some who thinks SAO and NGNL are "exactly" the same so you can't be working with much up there.

Maybe "barely any different" was a poor way of phrasing it, but what I meant is that NGNL a number of things people give SAO shit for: OP power fantasy protagonist, lots of pointless female characters who are there mostly there for fanservice and nothing else, as well as incest for the sake of incest. Obviously both series have different plots, characters and tones, but I'm not going to excuse NGNL having all of that crap just because it's a comedy. In fact, it has all that, plus its actual comedy elements are repetitive as hell (yes guys, I get it, Steph is fucking dumb and Sora is cool and witty), and the game aspect revolving around Sora exploiting the rules and loopholes of the games simply because he's just better at this than everyone else kills the tension of the conflicts as hard as Kirito getting into fights with other players in ALO and just curbstomping them. Why should I care when it seems like Sora and Shiro will lose a game if by the halfway point of the series it's pretty fucking obvious that they won't and never will lose any game because they're just awesome and never lose? I don't care if NGNL is a comedy that's actually doing that shit ironically or whatever, it still annoyed me just as much as the other "serious" isekai with the same elements.

By the way, I don't know where in my post I said everyone hates SAO, maybe you were seeing things in the middle of that angry meltdown of yours. I said "people" hate SAO, in a sense that SAO has a sizable amount of vocal detractors, a lot of e-celebs and their followers hate it with a burning passion and it's extremely easy to find people badmouthing the series out there, yet you don't see the same amount of hate directed towards NGNL, even though both series have a handful of elements in common.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Feb 16, 2020 9:54 PM
Dec 2015
Regarding obvious_troll's initial remarks.

-Ignoring the question of how well No Game No Life would stack up if released nowadays, I wish to address the critiques levied against it.
-NGNL has plenty of flaws, but I disagree with obvious_troll on what they are. And I find it troubling that they failed to note any of the show's strong points.

1. Anyways, I agree that the games we've witnessed are predictable in their results, and the ways those results are obtained require a sizeable amount of disbelief suspension. Honestly, the games themselves are one of the weaker aspects of the series.
-That said, what I really enjoy about NGNL is what I call the grand or ultimate game that is being played between Kuuhaku and Tet. The end goal is for everyone to "have fun and play together", but how are Sora et al going to make that happen? And as they make progress towards this end, what can they do to improve life on Disboard? These are the questions I'm really looking forward to being answered.

2. Moving on, obvious_troll also mentions the dynamics between Sora and Shiro and how Shiro feels like the sidekick. Well, that's because she is. Sora is our main point of contact; NGNL is in large part a male power fantasy, after all. Shiro is half of Kuuhaku, yes, but Sora is the main plot piece. And between the two, he has to be. Shiro is a super-genius, but not in regards to more emotional and social matters. As such, Sora, who is still OP but more relatable, necessarily becomes the predominant figure.

3. Lastly, in defense of the main cast, I think Steph is the only character written carelessly. Her ancestor from NGNL: Zero, Coronne, is much more palatable in comparison. So... yeah, I agree with obvious_troll there. But I don't think the author is taking jabs at the audience via her character. Sure, she's the "normal" one, and we're "supposed" to insert ourselves into her perspective. But for me, I relate to the whole cast, not just Steph. Kurami, for example.
-Speaking on behalf of the others, I may as well start with Kurami. The initial foil to Sora's humanist philosophy. She served as a sceptic for much of the first season, which was important. We, the audience, come from the same world as Sora, so it was crucial for a human from Disboard to illustrate reasonable concern over Kuuhaku's course of action.
-And how bout best bae Jibril? The elitist with a fetish for knowledge and propensity for violence. She had me at hello, but for those not immediately smitten, her character is softened by a handful of touching moments. Like the night when she appeared to Steph and asked her to visit Sora in light of the fierce argument the two just had.

In conclusion, I agree with obvious_troll that NGNL has a lot going against it (... I didn't even get to talk about the unnecessary ecchi fanservice), but I disagree with them on the exact nature of those flaws. And I just wanted to elucidate some of the show's strengths, since obvious_troll failed to do so.
Feb 18, 2020 8:20 PM

May 2019
Camus482 said:
Regarding obvious_troll's initial remarks.

-Ignoring the question of how well No Game No Life would stack up if released nowadays, I wish to address the critiques levied against it.
-NGNL has plenty of flaws, but I disagree with obvious_troll on what they are. And I find it troubling that they failed to note any of the show's strong points.

1. Anyways, I agree that the games we've witnessed are predictable in their results, and the ways those results are obtained require a sizeable amount of disbelief suspension. Honestly, the games themselves are one of the weaker aspects of the series.
-That said, what I really enjoy about NGNL is what I call the grand or ultimate game that is being played between Kuuhaku and Tet. The end goal is for everyone to "have fun and play together", but how are Sora et al going to make that happen? And as they make progress towards this end, what can they do to improve life on Disboard? These are the questions I'm really looking forward to being answered.

2. Moving on, obvious_troll also mentions the dynamics between Sora and Shiro and how Shiro feels like the sidekick. Well, that's because she is. Sora is our main point of contact; NGNL is in large part a male power fantasy, after all. Shiro is half of Kuuhaku, yes, but Sora is the main plot piece. And between the two, he has to be. Shiro is a super-genius, but not in regards to more emotional and social matters. As such, Sora, who is still OP but more relatable, necessarily becomes the predominant figure.

3. Lastly, in defense of the main cast, I think Steph is the only character written carelessly. Her ancestor from NGNL: Zero, Coronne, is much more palatable in comparison. So... yeah, I agree with obvious_troll there. But I don't think the author is taking jabs at the audience via her character. Sure, she's the "normal" one, and we're "supposed" to insert ourselves into her perspective. But for me, I relate to the whole cast, not just Steph. Kurami, for example.
-Speaking on behalf of the others, I may as well start with Kurami. The initial foil to Sora's humanist philosophy. She served as a sceptic for much of the first season, which was important. We, the audience, come from the same world as Sora, so it was crucial for a human from Disboard to illustrate reasonable concern over Kuuhaku's course of action.
-And how bout best bae Jibril? The elitist with a fetish for knowledge and propensity for violence. She had me at hello, but for those not immediately smitten, her character is softened by a handful of touching moments. Like the night when she appeared to Steph and asked her to visit Sora in light of the fierce argument the two just had.

In conclusion, I agree with obvious_troll that NGNL has a lot going against it (... I didn't even get to talk about the unnecessary ecchi fanservice), but I disagree with them on the exact nature of those flaws. And I just wanted to elucidate some of the show's strengths, since obvious_troll failed to do so.

Fair enough. The show does have a lot of good things plus the production quality is wayy better than average isekai nowadays.
Your Waifu is trash

More topics from this board

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

622 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 21, 5:21 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.