Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 3, 2019 4:08 PM
Jul 2018
So my co-worker was getting coffee. Steaming hot stuff. I told her to be careful. She didn't listen of course. She dropped it on her hands and it burned them pretty bad. She started to whimper and kinda collapsed on her knees. I went on to get my coffee, set it down on my desk, told another co-worker to not take it, and then I walked outside to greet a customer.

This co-worker looked like he wanted to say something but nothing was coming out. I mean if he wanted to help her, why didn't he help while responding to me? Anyway, from my peripheral vision, I saw some of the interns helping her out.

So after my business with the customer was done, I walked back to see a lot of bandages around her hand. She gave me the death glare. The people helping her started chewing me out asking me why I didn't help, that I'm a psycho, etc. Her death glare intensifies. Her hands looked kinda painful.

So I don't get it. There was a customer that needed service and I warned her to be careful. I did my part in warning her and I also did my job. Also, I trusted that the co-worker and the interns could help her out. I couldn't leave a customer hanging. How bad would it be if we lost a customer? She can't rationally blame me, can she?

What could I have done anyway? Man this shit is confusing. So yeah, am I a douchebag or am I misunderstood here? If I'm wrong though, I gotta learn from this :/
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 3, 2019 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah, no, you put your coffee first, that's awful. I don't see you worst for it as you had legit reasons and you seemed pretty discounted from the situation(emotionally I mean). Still, though, I would apologize for that.
May 3, 2019 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
Well, I think she overreacted too, because it's not like she almost died there (tho, I never had such hot coffee that it would burn me this bad, I think)
But I never understood that "ha, your fault, so I don't need to have empathy." It doesn't matter. The pain, you could feel for, is always the same, no matter, if she should have been more careful or not.
May 3, 2019 4:19 PM
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
Well, I think she overreacted too, because it's not like she almost died there (tho, I never had such hot coffee that it would burn me this badly, I think)
But I never understood that "ha, your fault, so I don't need to have empathy." It doesn't matter. The pain, you could feel for, is always the same, no matter, if she should have been more careful or not.
I don't think that was what they were getting at. More so to say they didn't listen, and that they saw people helping her. So in a more "someone else would take care of this" kind of reasoning.
May 3, 2019 4:19 PM

Mar 2012
Your coworker burned her hands so badly that she was crying and needed bandages. You witnessed it and your response was to walk away to go greet a customer.

HungryForQuality said:
am I a douchebag
Yup.

I'm a psycho
Definitely.

How bad would it be if we lost a customer?
Not even the slightest bit bad.

What could I have done anyway?
Almost anything other than what you actually did.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 3, 2019 4:33 PM
Jul 2018
Josh said:
Your coworker burned her hands so badly that she was crying and needed bandages. You witnessed it and your response was to walk away to go greet a customer.

HungryForQuality said:
am I a douchebag
Yup.

I'm a psycho
Definitely.

How bad would it be if we lost a customer?
Not even the slightest bit bad.

What could I have done anyway?
Almost anything other than what you actually did.

I didn't see her cry really. Though she never seemed the type to cry in a public setting. I really thought the rest of the guys could pick up the slack. We could split up in a sense. I handle the upcoming sales and they handle the injured person. I mean you can't put all your eggs in one basket. You have to accomodate several things to maximize value.

Does it matter who does it as long as medical care is administered? If I was injured, I wouldn't care who helped me as long as I was helped. The feelings shouldn't be personal if the people around me have no vested emotional interest in me and vice versa.

The boss would be disappointed if I lost a customer and I owe a lot to the boss. Hell, he vouched for me after this saying I had the best interest of the company at heart and that she should have been more careful.

Man I haven't had a situation like this in 3 years. I always kept my affective empathy up but damn maybe I was just too tired this time or my vested emotional interest in the person was too low.

If it was my niece or any of my friends or my sister, I would do anything to help them. Anything. But that's because I have an exorbitant amount of emotional connection with them. They give my life meaning in a sense.

So can such a distinction be made? Is that ok? Haven't thought about such topics so often till now.

May 3, 2019 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
Well, I think she overreacted too, because it's not like she almost died there (tho, I never had such hot coffee that it would burn me this bad, I think)

It wasn't that petty. That was a minor reason. It was more I thought we could kill two birds with one stone. I handle the upcoming sale and the rest handle the injured person. Maximum efficiency.
May 3, 2019 4:40 PM

Dec 2015
Dude, she burned her hand on coffee, maybe attend to that before dealing with some slack jawed customer.
May 3, 2019 4:43 PM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
Dude, she burned her hand on coffee, maybe attend to that before dealing with some slack jawed customer.

But I thought the rest could do it. There were 5 people there. What difference would a sixth person make? This wasn't some heart operation. So I just thought I could maximize efficiency, both in a profit and moral sense.
May 3, 2019 4:47 PM
Jul 2018
Idk man regardless of whether or not you warned your coworker I still think you should have at least acted a little bit upset when she burned her hand that badly.
May 3, 2019 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:
Maneki-Mew said:
Well, I think she overreacted too, because it's not like she almost died there (tho, I never had such hot coffee that it would burn me this badly, I think)
I don't think that was what they were getting at. More so to say they didn't listen, and that they saw people helping her. So in a more "someone else would take care of this" kind of reasoning.

Well okay, seems right.

HungryForQuality said:
Maneki-Mew said:

It wasn't that petty. That was a minor reason. It was more I thought we could kill two birds with one stone. I handle the upcoming sale and the rest handle the injured person. Maximum efficiency.

That was more like... these things work like "ha, it's your fault", not that you said it.

It depends on how bad her injury, if she had one, actually was. I couldn't understand that you leave the room, but at least, you know for the next time.

HungryForQuality said:
Bobby2Hands said:

But I thought the rest could do it. There were 5 people there. What difference would a sixth person make? This wasn't some heart operation. So I just thought I could maximize efficiency, both in a profit and moral sense.

It's just there you are there to care and maybe to speak to her, if she is actually injured, not that it would make a practical difference.
May 3, 2019 4:55 PM

Jan 2009
profit over people (capitalism at its finest)

but kidding aside ye just say sorry dude nothing much you can do than to be better next time, you greeting the customer happen after you saw her get injured so nah thats a bad excuse in your part
May 3, 2019 5:02 PM

Mar 2018
Nice job.

You should have just stood there sipping your coffee as she wriggled on the floor lol
Help stop the spread of Korean propaganda (KPrOP) and sign this petition!
http://chng.it/Yw8Vzwk4Tg
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

Well okay, seems right.

HungryForQuality said:

That was more like... these things work like "ha, it's your fault", not that you said it.

It depends on how bad her injury, if she had one, actually was. I couldn't understand that you leave the room, but at least, you know for the next time.

HungryForQuality said:

It's just there you are there to care and maybe to speak to her, if she is actually injured, not that it would make a practical difference.

She'd probably be disgusted honestly. She's treated me poorly and condescendingly for as long as I've met her. I'm not sure why since I take steps to prevent this sort of thing from happening ( this one kinda slipped through).

I don't like being treated poorly and occasionally that results in inaction. But again, this was a small reason. Most of it was because of efficiency and making the best decision for everyone. Even if I helped her, it wouldn't have changed basically anything.

Jul 2018
In regards to this subject. Mom used to tell me about a crowd mentality similar to what OP experienced. Where people would assume someone else would take care of the problem(To see what I'm talking about go to #2 on the list). Mom always warned against telling me to help regardless of whether there was a crowd or not. I think this is what happened to OP.
May 3, 2019 5:06 PM

Jan 2009
Peaceful_Critic said:
In regards to this subject. Mom used to tell me about a crowd mentality similar to what OP experienced. Where people would assume someone else would take care of the problem(To see what I'm talking about go to #2 on the list). Mom always warned against telling me to help regardless of whether there was a crowd or not. I think this is what happened to OP.

that site blocked the VPN im using, is it pointing out the bystander effect? if so ye that is a reasonable explanation to what happen here
May 3, 2019 5:08 PM
Jul 2018
deg said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

that site blocked the VPN im using, is it pointing out the bystander effect? if so ye that is a reasonable explanation to what happen here
Ah, that's what it's called, yeah the article pointed that out(not labeling the effect though).
May 3, 2019 5:21 PM
Jul 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:
deg said:

Ah, that's what it's called, yeah the article pointed that out(not labeling the effect though).

But they actually did help. It's not like I chose not to help and then no one else helped, resulting in her not getting help. It happened.

Should the results dictate the method or not? Maybe for somethng large scale that involves the death of many lives, this way of thinking is dangerous and faulty.

But for something small scale like this, is it so bad when the desired outcome came true? (her getting help pretty quickly).
May 3, 2019 5:23 PM

Jan 2009
Peaceful_Critic said:
deg said:

i see but he cannot use the bystander effect as an excuse though lol, i mean most people will just say wtf are you talking about when you pointed out explanations like that
May 3, 2019 5:32 PM

Jul 2012
Based on the description of events, yes. Because according to the order of events you listed; after she burned her hands you did 4 different things and none of them were attempting to ask anyone for assistance. You even made a specific point how you put more emphasis on telling a coworker not to take your coffee than you did helping the person who just burned their hands.

Even the case with the customer seems like post event rationale. If you had called somebody over to assist her and then said you would go handle the customers that would be a different story. But according to the events as you described them you completely disconnected yourself from the incident and to some extent actively acted as if it wasn't happening.
GamerDLMMay 3, 2019 5:37 PM
May 3, 2019 5:33 PM
Oct 2018
I probably would have done the same
I'm a bit surprised by some of the responses
OeufhbpiMay 3, 2019 5:44 PM
--
May 3, 2019 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
GamerDLM said:
Based on the description of events, yes. Because according to the order of events you listed; after she burned her hands you did 4 different things and none of them were attempting to ask anyone for assistance. You even made a specific point how you put more emphasis on telling a coworker not to take your coffee than you did helping the person who just burned their hands.

Even the case with the customer seems like post event rationale. If you had called somebody over to assist her and then said you would go handle the customers that would be a different story. But according to the events as you described them you completely disconnected yourself from the incident and to some extent actively acted as if it wasn't happening.

You're right. I should have mixed it up more to make it more balanced. In my pursuit of efficiency, the time between doing my job and helping her was too wide and implied callousness.

If I balanced the emphasis regarding my words to my coworker and the injured person as well as rearrange and spread out the 4 different things, perhaps the reaction wouldn't have been so harsh.

I can see how it looked like I disconnected myself from the situation. I was just afraid that helping her out would keep the customer waiting and not only annoy the customer, but also let my boss down.

I can't apologize because she's also hated me before and now she probably wants to kill me. But if I can keep note of this and make a smarter decision later, then this mistake might not be entirely in vain.

Any personal feelings I had towards her should not have interfered with my judgement. It is irrational for this situation is bigger than me.

Thanks. I really mean it.

May 3, 2019 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
deg said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

i see but he cannot use the bystander effect as an excuse though lol, i mean most people will just say wtf are you talking about when you pointed out explanations like that
Yeah it's not an excuse, that said, I don't think of them as an awful person or a psycho for it. They do seem to feel guilty. I don't think they would've made the thread if they were.
removed-userMay 3, 2019 5:45 PM
May 3, 2019 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
HungryForQuality said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

But they actually did help. It's not like I chose not to help and then no one else helped, resulting in her not getting help. It happened.

Should the results dictate the method or not? Maybe for somethng large scale that involves the death of many lives, this way of thinking is dangerous and faulty.

But for something small scale like this, is it so bad when the desired outcome came true? (her getting help pretty quickly).
The order you put the events, they didn't do it until after. You didn't describe them helping her straight away.
May 3, 2019 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:
HungryForQuality said:

The order you put the events, they didn't do it until after. You didn't describe them helping her straight away.

They eventually did it. Of course human shock comes to play. That's what I'd attribute to the hesitation or delay.

Either way, I see the error of my ways. I thank @GamerDLM for pointing out what I did wrong and what I could have done better.
May 3, 2019 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
HungryForQuality said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

They eventually did it. Of course human shock comes to play. That's what I'd attribute to the hesitation or delay.

Either way, I see the error of my ways. I thank @GamerDLM for pointing out what I did wrong and what I could have done better.
Human shock is a good explanation as well. May of been that as well.

GamerDLM did a great job of explaining it. Hats off to them.
May 3, 2019 5:51 PM
Jul 2018
Maenads said:
Seems like the kind of thing everyone will forget by next Thursday. Honestly I don't see how this would matter, unless your coworker is a petty and whiny person.

How bad can you get burnt from coffee? I've never worked in an office and to me people getting minor burns is fairly common, mostly they just treat themselves. If she didn't have to go to the hospital I wouldn't stress it.

Yeah it does rank low on the "something an evil bastard would do" list. Still, it's better to account for my errors here so that I'll be well prepared and equipped for future, possibly more dire moral dillemas. ( that are apparently obvious to most people in general society)
May 3, 2019 5:53 PM
Jul 2018
Maenads said:
Seems like the kind of thing everyone will forget by next Thursday. Honestly I don't see how this would matter, unless your coworker is a petty and whiny person.

How bad can you get burnt from coffee? I've never worked in an office and to me people getting minor burns is fairly common, mostly they just treat themselves. If she didn't have to go to the hospital I wouldn't stress it.
She had bandages, so it was most likely not just a minor one. I spilled steaming spaghetti water on myself once, and I didn't need them. It's likely it was worse than that judging solely on the reactions.
May 3, 2019 5:54 PM

Oct 2018
If I know that the co-worker is clumsy I would of helped her regardles if she didn't want my help. In the end most people are stuck up with pride and don't want help for simple things cause they think they can do it alone. We all have our fuck ups though there's always the things that need your attention right away and some that can wait. The customer could of waited. You wouldn't have lost your job over it if he had left from not being able to wait a minute desu.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
May 3, 2019 5:58 PM

Aug 2009
Honestly sounds like your co-workers are over-reacting, how well do you know this co-worker anyway? Like do you greet her in the morning and shit? Tbh unless she asked you for help specifically I don't think its a big deal. Hell I've cut my arms/fingers, burned myself and had some pretty bad sprains at work and I didn't need people to fucking come to my aid and save me. I kind of feel like your co-worker either just wanted to the attention or she felt really dumb for not listening to your advice and wants to make you feel guilty.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 3, 2019 5:58 PM

Jan 2013
Mmmm, I wouldn't say you're a "psycho", just maybe a little bit insensitive, judging by your reaction in that case. Everyone makes mistakes and that doesn't determine who you are as a person nor how you will react to similar situations in the future. I would probably apologise to her and do better next time.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
May 3, 2019 5:59 PM

Dec 2008
Empathy-what is that? Never heard of it before.
Life Is Short But Intense.
May 3, 2019 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
L_o_l_i said:
If I know that the co-worker is clumsy I would of helped her regardles if she didn't want my help. In the end most people are stuck up with pride and don't want help for simple things cause they think they can do it alone. We all have our fuck ups though there's always the things that need your attention right away and some that can wait. The customer could of waited. You wouldn't have lost your job over it if he had left from not being able to wait a minute desu.~

Yeah the problem is my boss probably would have been ticked off at me for not putting the customer first. And my friendship with the boss is very important.

Hell, he's in my very small circle of people I genuinely care about emotionally as opposed to just logical underpinnings.

He's also the brother of my best friend who's known me for 10 years now. If I ticked him off, she'd probably chew me out lol

So ultimately, my friendship with the boss reigns supreme over the hands of that co-worker.

Don't get me wrong, I see the error of my ways. @GamerDLM made that clear. I could have done this without the controversy and you bet I'll keep that in mind.
May 3, 2019 6:06 PM
Jul 2018
LoneWolf said:
Honestly sounds like your co-workers are over-reacting, how well do you know this co-worker anyway? Like do you greet her in the morning and shit? Tbh unless she asked you for help specifically I don't think its a big deal. Hell I've cut my arms/fingers, burned myself and had some pretty bad sprains at work and I didn't need people to fucking come to my aid and save me. I kind of feel like your co-worker either just wanted to the attention or she felt really dumb for not listening to your advice and wants to make you feel guilty.

I know it's not a justification according to general society, but I dislike her personally. She's always treated me poorly and condescendingly. And so maybe that partly caused the inaction? It's definitely possible for I'm not a robot.

Ultimately though, I should have been impartial and not let my personal feelings get in the way of something that was bigger than me.
May 3, 2019 6:11 PM

Aug 2009
HungryForQuality said:
LoneWolf said:

I know it's not a justification according to general society, but I dislike her personally. She's always treated me poorly and condescendingly. And so maybe that partly caused the inaction? It's definitely possible for I'm not a robot.

Ultimately though, I should have been impartial and not let my personal feelings get in the way of something that was bigger than me.

Oh yeah if she was being a bitch to you and expecting you to go out of your way to help her after she didn't even seem to heed your warning about being careful that's just entitled on her part. Yeah I burnt my palm at work and just laughed it off after wrapping it up (I have first aid training tho); she sounds like a drama queen tbh. Best to avoid those types unless its work related.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 3, 2019 6:12 PM

Nov 2011
given that all she needed was bandages, the injury probably wasnt that serious.
still, it would be proper to offer help in this situation. not offering makes you look as though you dont care.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 3, 2019 6:13 PM
Jul 2018
LoneWolf said:
HungryForQuality said:

Oh yeah if she was being a bitch to you and expecting you to go out of your way to help her after she didn't seem heed your warning about being careful that's just entitled on her part. Yeah I burnt my palm at work and just laughed it off; she sounds like a drama queen tbh. Avoid unless its work related.

Oh shit, so you're like an anomaly of general society. Damn, I thought my boss and my close friends were the only ones ( who aren't in prison, a mental asylum, or a filthy rich CEO)

That shit's really interesting.
May 3, 2019 6:14 PM
Jul 2018
I surprised that you guys are allowed to drink coffee while on the clock.
May 3, 2019 6:15 PM

Nov 2012
After seeing the responses I feel like I'm gonna come off mean here but I'd say it depends if you like this co-worker or not. If you do then yes, you should show more compassion and give her a sincere apology, explain the reasons you didn't go to immediately help her as they're justified in a professional environment. If you don't however, I'd say just move past it, we're not obligated help people and in this scenario you've already done more than enough for her by the initial warning.
JVskunkapeMay 3, 2019 6:18 PM
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
May 3, 2019 6:16 PM

Mar 2011
Maenads said:

You can get burned...is that not enough? lol You can get seriously burned (2nd) by most things when hot enough.

HungryForQuality said:

So hot coffee burned your co-workers hand? More precise, your coffee--
If it's not part of their job duty to get you coffee, than was it a small favor, even asking them to do so?
Did it impede on their own ability to work in the immediate future (can she use her hands w/o pain)?

In the end, it seems you didn't have consideration for what they did, nor went through (regardless of fault) to get you coffee. Should've said aloud your thought process, that way your actions didn't socially come off the way it was felt. was I close?
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
May 3, 2019 6:19 PM
Jul 2018
BallistikJuice said:
I surprised that you guys are allowed to drink coffee while on the clock.

There's a caveat. We're allowed to drink coffee on the clock if we can sell the same amount or more to the customer in terms of dollars. Which is a challenge I'm up for. So I get a lot while the lazy ones get barely any.

It's how the boss incentivizes us.
May 3, 2019 6:20 PM

Oct 2018
HungryForQuality said:
I'll keep that in mind.
I'm an even scale type of person and I wouldn't choose to keep a pitch perfect friendship with someone if it meant knowing that someone else could get hurt and possibly loose any chances to have em as an ally later on. Why am I saying this? I had a really good friendship with my boss at a restaurant I used to work at too and a customer walked in wanting to eat food but they didn't have any money. I told the cook to make em a sandwhich on the house because I wanted to do a good deed for em. My boss yelled at me in the back and gave me the death stare as well that day even after I told him that I'd pay for the meal. Days later the same customer walked in and chose to eat there again, they ordered a bunch of food and gave me a 50 dollar tip, they whispered to me saying thank you for the meal. They became a returning customer from then on. If I would of done nothing for him the day he wanted to buy food they would of probably gone hungry and I don't like to have a dirty conscience knowing that someone could get hurt is what I'm trying to get at. Sorry for telling you a story that probably has almost nothing to do with the topic at hand and that I'm a total stranger to you desu.~

Ps: Gomenasai for not greeting ya earlier. Konichiwa and I hope that most of your day goes as planned from now on.~

L0LlMay 3, 2019 6:24 PM

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
May 3, 2019 6:21 PM
Jul 2018
Silverstorm said:
Maenads said:

You can get burned...is that not enough? lol You can get seriously burned (2nd) by most things when hot enough.

HungryForQuality said:

So hot coffee burned your co-workers hand? More precise, your coffee--
If it's not part of their job duty to get you coffee, than was it a small favor, even asking them to do so?
Did it impede on their own ability to work in the immediate future (can she use her hands w/o pain)?

In the end, it seems you didn't have consideration for what they did, nor went through (regardless of fault) to get you coffee. Should've said aloud your thought process, that way your actions didn't socially come off the way it was felt. was I close?

The boss will probably find some bullshit reason to sack her and replace her with an unpaid intern. I know the guy and I can smell it.

You're right. My actions were callous even if that was not my intention. I genuinely realize the error of my ways.
May 3, 2019 6:26 PM

Aug 2009
HungryForQuality said:
LoneWolf said:

Oh yeah if she was being a bitch to you and expecting you to go out of your way to help her after she didn't seem heed your warning about being careful that's just entitled on her part. Yeah I burnt my palm at work and just laughed it off; she sounds like a drama queen tbh. Avoid unless its work related.

Oh shit, so you're like an anomaly of general society. Damn, I thought my boss and my close friends were the only ones ( who aren't in prison, a mental asylum, or a filthy rich CEO)

That shit's really interesting.

Honestly I don't think its that different, I'm a pretty polite person IRL and I feel like I generally treat ppl well, but like I just don't like going out of my way to help ppl, because then I feel responsible for them. Like I just don't like half-measures.... if I really care about someone and want to see them happy and successful in life I'll try to put some actual effort and time into it. If not then its w.e they can help themselves if not someone else can. 7 billion ppl on this planet I'm sure 1 of them gives enough of a fuck about you to go out of their way, but it isn't me lol.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 3, 2019 6:28 PM

Mar 2011
HungryForQuality said:
You're right. My actions were callous even if that was not my intention. I genuinely realize the error of my ways.
Most people do it to some extent. The allure of the thread wasn't the question of empathy for me, more so your rationale for tasking her care to others while you handled the customer--
My old boss calls that management material, and I like the mental-negotiation and execution being used. Something about that speaks to character or work ethic to me.
May 3, 2019 6:32 PM
Jul 2018
Silverstorm said:
HungryForQuality said:
Most people do it to some extent. The allure of the thread wasn't the question of empathy for me, more so your rationale for tasking her care to others while you handled the customer--
My old boss calls that management material, and I like the mental-negotiation and execution being used. Something about that speaks to character or work ethic too.

Yeah I get it. Thanks for approaching the topic that way.

I guess I just want to hold on to what I have so badly that maybe I lose sight of what's really important. But I can't deny what I feel and this job is one of the best things that's ever happened to me. For my psyche, my self-esteem, my living conditions, etc.

I'm not the moral crusader people want me to be. But I am trying my damn best to build up my life to something respectable. Not a fucking junkie thug piece of shit. But something that people'll look at and see something different.

Seriously, as bad as shit is sometimes, I've never been so cared for and well , fulfilled for as long as I can remember.
May 3, 2019 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
L_o_l_i said:
HungryForQuality said:
I'll keep that in mind.
I'm an even scale type of person and I wouldn't choose to keep a pitch perfect friendship with someone if it meant knowing that someone else could get hurt and possibly loose any chances to have em as an ally later on. Why am I saying this? I had a really good friendship with my boss at a restaurant I used to work at too and a customer walked in wanting to eat food but they didn't have any money. I told the cook to make em a sandwhich on the house because I wanted to do a good deed for em. My boss yelled at me in the back and gave me the death stare as well that day even after I told him that I'd pay for the meal. Days later the same customer walked in and chose to eat there again, they ordered a bunch of food and gave me a 50 dollar tip, they whispered to me saying thank you for the meal. They became a returning customer from then on. If I would of done nothing for him the day he wanted to buy food they would of probably gone hungry and I don't like to have a dirty conscience knowing that someone could get hurt is what I'm trying to get at. Sorry for telling you a story that probably has almost nothing to do with the topic at hand and that I'm a total stranger to you desu.~

Ps: Gomenasai for not greeting ya earlier. Konichiwa and I hope that most of your day goes as planned from now on.~

I appreciate it anyway. Thanks for the story. Truly.
May 3, 2019 6:55 PM

Jan 2009
Peaceful_Critic said:
deg said:

Yeah it's not an excuse, that said, I don't think of them as an awful person or a psycho for it. They do seem to feel guilty. I don't think they would've made the thread if they were.

agreed on that, those people that call him a psycho might just be exaggerating
May 3, 2019 8:16 PM

Mar 2011
Maenads said:
Silverstorm said:

No not really, burns are not created equally..for example one of my coworkers was welding while harnessed in the air and he caught himself on fire. Nobody could get to him so he was just stuck up there burning for a while. He got fired for wearing improper clothing and he spent a month in the hospital. I would think with coffee that you could shake it off, bandage yourself, and get back to work. But I wasn't there so I don't know.
True, it just seem odd to compare an extreme case of burn like your co-worker's to other lesser burns. I would say the conclusion from that just means his burn is as bad as you would want to get. Burns are not equal is true but to say something liquid or common as coffee can't inflict serious burns (Not suggesting the coworker mentioned in the thread suffered such a thing) would be a faulty logic to follow, if you consider the effect is medically termed scalding.
May 3, 2019 8:25 PM
Jul 2018
Silverstorm said:
Maenads said:

No not really, burns are not created equally..for example one of my coworkers was welding while harnessed in the air and he caught himself on fire. Nobody could get to him so he was just stuck up there burning for a while. He got fired for wearing improper clothing and he spent a month in the hospital. I would think with coffee that you could shake it off, bandage yourself, and get back to work. But I wasn't there so I don't know.
True, it just seem odd to compare an extreme case of burn like your co-worker's to other lesser burns. I would say the conclusion from that just means his burn is as bad as you would want to get. Burns are not equal is true but to say something liquid or common as coffee can't inflict serious burns (Not suggesting the coworker mentioned in the thread suffered such a thing) would be a faulty logic to follow, if you consider the effect is medically termed scalding.
McDonald's Coffee incident. A lady had an extreme burn from it. If hot enough it could lead to serious injuries.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

26 by MeanMrMusician »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

42 by cyandaqil »»
23 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

69 by neol3 »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

63 by cyandaqil »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - Today

29 by cyandaqil »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.