Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What would you do in her shoes?
Mar 29, 2019 3:46 AM

Nov 2013
Isabella is probably the most tragic characters of the series. She was so desperate to escape several times as a kid (at least twice we see her climbing, but i'm sure she did it more than few times) but failed. She knew the truth but couldn't do anything (the fact that she knew means she must have seen the butchering, or the demons - yet she still keeps her sanity - out of hope most likely). She was all alone it seems. She lost the best friend (became desperate). She gave up on escaping after losing all hope. Got pregnant out of necessity. Convinced herself that only her own survival mattered (out of fear of death most likely). Partly gave up her humanity as a result...

In the last episode i feel so sorry for her, when the kids escape she:
1) Probably wished she had done the same thing as a kid - seeing that what she once considered impossible was now made real by other kids. It was soul crushing - Emma was basically her, but Emma had friends and she didn't give up after losing Norman. Emma was stronger version of Isabella and probably realizing just how weak she was compared to her, Isabella finally broke...
2) Probably wished she could escape with them.

After watching the last episode, what do you guys think about the character, and what would you have done in her place? Please be honest with yourselves before answering.

(note: i excluded "escape" as an option since that option was not available for Isabella)

My answer to this, i'd most likely accept survival, though it's hard to say how long i'd be able to keep on crushing a human withing me and continue serving the demons, before giving up, turning insane or probably committing suicide - depending on what i'd have to endure or witness.
Mar 29, 2019 5:43 AM

Feb 2017
I would serve to survive but also try to get at least a few kids to escape(not directly helping them since that means they're not good enough and will die once outside) even if that means I'll die.
Mar 29, 2019 6:42 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Luxeraph said:
I would serve to survive but also try to get at least a few kids to escape(not directly helping them since that means they're not good enough and will die once outside) even if that means I'll die.
This

Once I read this scene in the manga, I felt like this is what she lowkey hoped would happen for Ray and then later Norman and Emma (Them being skilled enough to escape one day I mean) most of all since they're a lot like her and her friend
TokoyaMar 29, 2019 6:45 AM
Mar 29, 2019 6:47 AM
Feb 2018
Isabella: An angel stains with blood

She may killed many, yet still beautiful at heart.. It shows since ep1 that she tried her best to nurture and provide love and happiness for them throughout their short-time. Although, she knew that Emma, Ray & Norman gonna cause her problems yet still protect them. I believe that she could terminate them from day one she knew of it. Yet, keep them safe in Shelter as there's no hope for them outside. However, her son prove her wrong, there's hope outside. There will always have.
Mar 29, 2019 6:50 AM
EDM ❤

May 2012
I really liked Isabella character, her options and how she came to be a mom were pretty clear so nothing shocking here and being so linear is what made it believable or so i think.

Edit: Loved to see how the music she hummed while taking the kids came to be.
MrParadiseMar 29, 2019 6:59 AM
Mar 29, 2019 12:19 PM

Oct 2012
I love Isabella's character. She's trying her best to live in the world she was born into. She didn't have that many friends as Emma, the boy she loved so much was dead, she found a cliff. She gave up and decided to live longer than anyone else. She wasn't really evil. She was just trying her best, and I love it.
Mar 29, 2019 12:29 PM

Oct 2010
She's a fine character. She has always had this ambiguity to her, and I really don't blame her for wanting to survive. I do blame her for her actions though and in that sense episode 12 was a nice catharsis because it really didn't redeem the character but explored her guilt. It was moving while not being exculpatory.

Other than that, I don't think THAT highly of her in the sense that aside from being a good villain and an entertaining character I don't think she'll stay in my mind for as long as the main characters. But she served her purpose well.
Mar 29, 2019 12:36 PM

Feb 2013
So did the kids use Ray's devices to disable their tracking sensors in their ears? I must have missed it if they did
Mar 30, 2019 2:49 AM

Nov 2013
Pyoung said:
So did the kids use Ray's devices to disable their tracking sensors in their ears? I must have missed it if they did
off topic question lol, but yeah, Emma and Ray had to cut their ears for deception. Others just used the device (no ears cut xD) - though it wasn't shown in the anime and can't remember if they did even in manga, but since mama wasn't able to locate the kids and they had their ears uncut - best guess is that the device was used.
Mar 30, 2019 10:57 AM

Oct 2018
Yeah, I hope she survive in the end and what more from the first episode I get the feeling that she not fully bad person in this series. love her for how much she suffer all this time but still what she done is not something you can forgive.

Want to see more development related to her in the second season.

Mar 30, 2019 11:17 AM

Dec 2014
damn the feels for isabella...she went from most hated to sort of likable to the tragic anti hero kind.... this show
Mar 30, 2019 11:35 AM

Nov 2011
Stoorainclaire said:
Yeah, I hope she survive in the end and what more from the first episode I get the feeling that she not fully bad person in this series. love her for how much she suffer all this time but still what she done is not something you can forgive.

Want to see more development related to her in the second season.

But what do you think she even could do ? She is no different than people who work in company they don't really care about.. She work in farm because that is the only way she can live ...

About the question.. I think it's a hard to answer that without really experience it.. I am not someone who will do anything to live, or at least I want to think I am not.. But who knows what will happen if I am actually in that kind of situation ...
Jim_HeartMar 30, 2019 11:40 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 30, 2019 12:00 PM

Dec 2013
Watch as I animate the review for promised Neverland series,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52-tty1XXws
Mar 30, 2019 1:14 PM
Oct 2018
Ray was more tragic than her. Knew the secret since birth, had his mom on his side yet as an enemy, even when she heard him dying in the fire, all she was thinking about was saving his brain. But her character was second tragic character for me.
Mar 30, 2019 1:48 PM
Apr 2015
A beautiful written(and appealing😏)character, I loved her before the last couple of episodes because you can feel deep down, she genuinely love those kids, and wanted them to live their best life before their time is up.
Mar 30, 2019 7:11 PM

Mar 2016
I don’t think I can entirely blame her for her choice. In the same situation, I might have done the same. Death is a scary prospect, and who knows perhaps a fate even worse than death awaits those who attempt to rebel. Seeing the hopelessness of things, she simply made the logical choice.

Although, it’s clear that years of serving have twisted her a bit.
Mar 30, 2019 7:39 PM
Jun 2014
She was utterly stupid, much like the rest of the cast in this anime.
Mar 30, 2019 7:43 PM

Feb 2014
Isabella, though she started with the mind to escape. She was bound by things that she just couldn't let go. So she took the hand that were offered to her, even though she knew what it would lead to. She did all so she could survive and broke down. But when she saw Ray, she just knew what she had done all along. She could not walk away and she hoped that one day these kids would walk their own. A mother never has choices, she's bound by things that just can't be said.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 4, 2020 6:20 PM

Nov 2012
I think she embraced her role as Mama way too hard, I don't think that can be argued as just for survival.

As someone who once attempted to escape herself you would think she would've at least subtlety assisted the escape more especially since Ray was her biological son too.

I'm just hoping she pulled some strings to save Norman, if she did that she'll be redeemed in my eyes.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Dec 31, 2020 4:50 AM

Jul 2013
i honestly didnt want the show to try and redeem her at all, you dont get to do everything you did and at the end get a sappy emotional scene.

for me it took a chunk out of her character because i really liked her villian aesthetic
Just an anime fan, doing what an anime fan does

More topics from this board

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by Sus_baby »»
Mar 25, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

245 by WuzWutz »»
Feb 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.