Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 2, 2019 1:53 AM

Dec 2017
1- scores are good. it is a way to make a short version that allow others understand how people feel about the work. but i would argue they do not matter much when compared to detailed opinions.

2-scores are limited. they are inherently flawed.

3- good reviews or good detailed opinion is better.

4- everyone is different. how they score works is different. and no matter how very different we are from each other, a detailed opinion is much much better than scores.

5- being overrated and underrated do not matter

6- works of fiction such as anime and manga are complex works with many layers. a simple number or simple phrases is not enough.

my point or rather what i am trying to say is that people whould not worry too much about scores or average scores.you should not care if someone rated something you liked with a lower score. the opposite is true. it is just opinions. everyone is different. we are all the same. if i were in your place and got affected by the same factors such as environment and people around you, i would probably done similar stuff in your anime/manga journey. maybe. do jot take stuff seriously. have a good day.
HussFeb 2, 2019 2:03 AM
Feb 2, 2019 1:59 AM

Aug 2018
some animes that are rated below a 5 (some as in all) are garbage. the chances of most people liking one of those is low, hence id say they are pretty accurate. don't forget a lot and i mean a LOT of people do not rate below a 5. for a show to be rated below a 5 on mal means something LOL.
Feb 2, 2019 2:01 AM

Jul 2017
yeah true scores are great but it should not decide wether you will enjoy the stuff or not
Have a good time ^-^)/
Feb 2, 2019 2:04 AM

Jul 2015
Didn't we all learn in like elementary school that opinions don't matter?

This isn't new information.
Feb 2, 2019 2:06 AM

Dec 2017
PsychoticDave said:

it was new for me. I did not learn that in elementary nor in high school.
Feb 2, 2019 2:08 AM

Jul 2015
Huss said:
PsychoticDave said:

So like... you care about what people think about stuff? That's crazy bro.
I need a minute on that one.
Feb 2, 2019 2:14 AM

Dec 2017
PsychoticDave said:
Huss said:

So like... you care about what people think about stuff? That's crazy bro.
I need a minute on that one.

i do not understand my friend. what are you trying to say here? my English is not that good.
Feb 2, 2019 2:18 AM

Apr 2017
Huss said:
1- scores are good. it is a way to make a short version that allow others understand how people feel about the work. but i would argue they do not matter much when compared to detailed opinions.

4- everyone is different. how they score works is different. and no matter how very different we are from each other, a detailed opinion is much much better than scores.

6- works of fiction such as anime and manga are complex works with many layers. a simple number or simple phrases is not enough.

my point or rather what i am trying to say is that people whould not worry too much about scores or average scores.you should not care if someone rated something you liked with a lower score. the opposite is true. it is just opinions. everyone is different. we are all the same. if i were in your place and got affected by the same factors such as environment and people around you, i would probably done similar stuff in your anime/manga journey. maybe. do jot take stuff seriously. have a good day.
It's impossible for me to be not care if someone rates a show I loved low...

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Feb 2, 2019 2:24 AM

Dec 2017
Kuraya said:
Huss said:

that is understandable and is fine. but i think i can somehow convince you, maybe. i will try hahha. so there are about 7 billion on the planet, right? there must be people who will disagree with you there are many people coming from different backgrounds and environment and culture. it is really insane how there are many different people around the world. it is good thing that there are many different people.imagine if most people are same, it would be a boring life for sure. anime wouldnt be as diverse as it is. there is no single anime where people agree itnis good. you will always have people whondo not like it or be indifferent to it. so when you think about that opinion of someone you disagree with wont affect much about your life. imagine caring for the dosens different opinions around the world. you would be crushed by depression hahaha
Feb 2, 2019 2:28 AM

Apr 2017
Huss said:
Kuraya said:

that is understandable and is fine. but i think i can somehow convince you, maybe. i will try hahha. so there are about 7 billion on the planet, right? there must be people who will disagree with you there are many people coming from different backgrounds and environment and culture. it is really insane how there are many different people around the world. it is good thing that there are many different people.imagine if most people are same, it would be a boring life for sure. anime wouldnt be as diverse as it is. there is no single anime where people agree itnis good. you will always have people whondo not like it or be indifferent to it. so when you think about that opinion of someone you disagree with wont affect much about your life. imagine caring for the dosens different opinions around the world. you would be crushed by depression hahaha
I'm not some dumb kid, I'm completely aware that the difference between humans is crucial. However that can't stop it, when I hear someone hating on a show I like I just feel bad... There's nothing I can do, just keep myself away.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Feb 2, 2019 2:34 AM

Oct 2015
PsychoticDave said:

i guess they thought you the wrong thing then
Feb 2, 2019 2:34 AM

Sep 2016

Scores do matter because they:
  • do not spoil anything
  • can be tabulated
  • are quick to read

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 2, 2019 2:36 AM

Dec 2017
Zarutaku said:

• do not spoil anything

• can be tabulated

• are quick to read

they matter yes, but check out what I wrote to understand what i am trying to say.
Feb 2, 2019 3:07 AM

Jan 2010
Kuraya said:

Why? Does it affect you in any way?
I don't care if someone rated One Piece a 1/10
As long as they keep making my favorite anime, I don't care about haters nor people who doesn't enjoy the show.

Anyway,
Scores do matter, as a way to see what majority of people here like. But that's all. In the end you should judge the show yourself because one man's garbage might be another man's treasure (and vice versa).
Feb 2, 2019 3:29 AM

Nov 2017
Shicchi said:
Kuraya said:

Why? Does it affect you in any way?
I don't care if someone rated One Piece a 1/10
As long as they keep making my favorite anime, I don't care about haters nor people who doesn't enjoy the show.

Anyway,
Scores do matter, as a way to see what majority of people here like. But that's all. In the end you should judge the show yourself because one man's garbage might be another man's treasure (and vice versa).

People don't really get to decide what their emotional gut reactions are. I too feel a bit bad if someone dislikes something I like despite knowing full well it doesn't affect me in any way and that it's just a matter of personal taste. It just happens.

Other than that, yeah, scores are a decent enough way of measuring general consensus (in the case of average scores) or for getting a general idea on how much someone likes a certain show (in the case of personal scores), but obviously aren't going to be as insightful as detailed opinions. That said, detailed opinions aren't always available and take a lot more time and effort to formulate into something other people will understand, so scores do have their place. Nothing new in this paragraph, was there...
Feb 2, 2019 5:25 AM

Jul 2017
yea
scores are indications of our personal taste and affinity toward those anime
i disagree with some of my friends' scores on a lot of anime but i do not care if they dislike the ones that i adore
it kinda interesting to know the reasons behind their dislikes though and i can learn something from their perspectives

the 1-10 scale doesn't cover everything, and you have to ask and gather the opinions from raters to understand why

personally, whenever i see someone rated an anime below a 5, my expectations are spitefully betrayed, and i cannot do anything about it but accept the fact that they're thinking negatively of the anime that i hold positive opinions of
Feb 2, 2019 5:42 AM

Jul 2017
how many times we've had these topics with poeple coming in and thinking they have an opinion nobody has ever expressed before that's gonna change anything...
when in actuality it's been said thouthands of times before and is one of the most obvious thing about this topic.
also, this is agaisnt AD rules.
Feb 2, 2019 5:46 AM

Jul 2007
@Huss nice Battle Angel Alita sig. Fantastic manga, more people should read.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Feb 2, 2019 5:59 AM

Apr 2017
I would say that those points are pretty apparent. It's true that more detailed opinion is always going to be better representation of it. However, while one does not necessarily have to let it affect one's actions and opinions, I wouldn't call them entirely useless. If one knows how to interpret them, overall anime score on MAL can be useful piece of data, even if somewhat flawed. One can tell what is approximate likely hood of liking said show, for instance. Personal scores of each person can also tell something about their taste, and whether one could enjoy talking about anime with said person or not. They are in a way empty data if there is no explanation how to interpret them, since everyone scores differently, but taking into consideration how they differ from person's average, and how many other shows are rated the same can already be telling a lot.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Feb 2, 2019 6:03 AM

Nov 2017
You are right, bravo! Even if trolls are crybabies, you shouldn't care because they have no life.
Feb 2, 2019 6:10 AM

Dec 2017
Zehennagel said:
how many times we've had these topics with poeple coming in and thinking they have an opinion nobody has ever expressed before that's gonna change anything...
when in actuality it's been said thouthands of times before and is one of the most obvious thing about this topic.
also, this is agaisnt AD rules.

nothing wrong with that. it is better than some of the wierd posts in mal anyway.
Feb 2, 2019 6:14 AM
Nov 2018
Score matter when you want to see if an anime had a good reception and that way it makes you feel positively towards said anime.
Feb 2, 2019 6:14 AM

May 2017
scores matter a little bit.

I have never seen a low scored show that I wholeheartedly enjoyed and where I rated it above 8.

However I have seen a ton of shows with high scores that I think are extremely overrated and don't deserve a score that high.

A mixed bag for me. I'll change my opinion on this when I watched an anime with a score below 8 that I enjoyed as a 9 or 10.
Feb 2, 2019 6:23 AM

Mar 2017
PsychoticDave said:

learning is different from understanding
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Feb 2, 2019 6:32 AM
Jan 2018
Huss said:
Zarutaku said:

• do not spoil anything

• can be tabulated

• are quick to read

they matter yes, but check out what I wrote to understand what i am trying to say.
What you're trying to say is that people shouldn't care about a (in their opinion) too high/low score of a show, right?

Which raises the question why anyone should care about a review or detailed opinion. They can be just as wrong.
Feb 2, 2019 6:49 AM

Feb 2016
While scores do matter, it shouldn't be taken way too seriously as there are people complaining that a show is rated "too high" or "Too low" while its airing.

While searching Anime, I rather check the score of my friends (Specifically those whose taste is similar to mine and are very honest with their ratings) and then ask them what do they think of the show. I usually don't bother with reviews unless the reviewer is someone I know and knows what he's talking about.

"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Feb 2, 2019 11:45 AM
Sep 2017
Ofc what matters to be more than anything is my taste, but the scores are definitely more relevant to me than any "objective" review.
Feb 2, 2019 11:55 AM

Apr 2018
I can understand this to a degree. I think most shows that have low scores are generally agreed upon by the community to be bad.

However, I think some scores are pretty misleading. I still refuse to understand why Charlotte has a higher score than shows like Shiki, School-Live!, and Zombieland Saga.
Feb 2, 2019 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
I agree with literally everything. I never really cared about scores, but now I don't even think about them.
Feb 2, 2019 12:04 PM

Aug 2018

I totally agree I don't understand why so much people argument about it,just watch what you like it doesn't matter if it's overrated or underrated..

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Feb 2, 2019 12:04 PM

Apr 2016
Huss said:

>everyone is different. how they score works is different. and no matter how very different we are from each other, a detailed opinion is much much better than scores

You are contradicting yourself here. Scores and reviews, or "detailed opinions" how you like to call it, are pretty much the same. They are both subjective and should not matter. The most notably difference between a score and a review is the wall of text surrounding its given score, whereas just a score is lacking its reasoning behind its scoring.
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Feb 2, 2019 12:26 PM

Jan 2017
Huss said:

I feel like this is pointless, there was no real point to this. Because the point you said you had is common sense that everyone who uses this site would already know unless they are like 5.
you're cool
Feb 2, 2019 12:35 PM

Aug 2018
1 and 5, that's how I feel. I personally don't understand why people don't rate shows. It shows people more or less what you think of a show and like...why not?
Gnyo ho!
Feb 2, 2019 1:15 PM

Apr 2018
Isn't the fact that u took the trouble to create this topic a proof that scores matter to u at least?
Feb 2, 2019 1:23 PM
Feb 2019
If the scores are too low, then it must be waste of time to watch it. People don't give low scores for nothing, there must be something that's really awful /ridiculous to get low score.
Feb 2, 2019 2:25 PM

May 2018
My scores did matter to me. They remind me what I think about the shows I have given them.
But I never care about overall ratings.
Feb 2, 2019 2:37 PM

Aug 2018
Huss said:

1 - It matters and it helps to understand the more detailed opinions.
2 - They are limited, but I don't think they are flawed because they aren't missleading.
3 - Good reviews and detailed opinions are pretty rare, only a small minority of them worth reading.
4 - A score without context is pointless, so I guess you are right.
5 - Yes it matters, the viewers differ in both cases, so if the point of view is different so it's the opinion.
6 - They are not complex, they are pretty subjective.
Feb 2, 2019 8:00 PM

Jan 2010
Vilkku92 said:
People don't really get to decide what their emotional gut reactions are. I too feel a bit bad if someone dislikes something I like despite knowing full well it doesn't affect me in any way and that it's just a matter of personal taste. It just happens.

Well yeah... I mean, ofc I too felt sad when I see ppl who dislike my favorite, and anger when I see ppl who bash and score it blindly. All my favorite shows are popular, so yeah with that popularity also means a ton of haters. So I learned how to ignore them lol.
Feb 2, 2019 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
My scores are more general and cover a range of quality. For example, 6 can be anywhere from somewhat good to solidly good but it's never great.

Shows in different genres with completely different stories can't be equated just because they have the same score. That's asinine

I often rate based on what the show focuses on, how well it does on what it focuses on( partially considering runtime), and how well it is paced. Also the concept although it's less important (usually).

Characterizatoin is important but character development doesn't have to be as it varies based on what the show is about.

I used to be an idiot and grade everything in halves and then I realized how pointless and counterproductive that was.
Feb 2, 2019 9:52 PM

Jul 2016
did an affinity check with the OP and was completely baffled
Feb 4, 2019 12:31 AM
Nov 2018
I don't think scores don't matter. It's just that scores are subjective. An anime I consider a 9 might just be a 7 to you. My 9 and your 9 are probably different as well. Personally I would say "popularity" or the member count are a much better indicator since you know that X amount of people felt that this show was worth their time to watch.

Scores are more of a guideline than a testament to how good something is
Feb 4, 2019 11:24 PM

Jun 2012
Scores are the only semblance of order in my life and are therefore very important
help
Feb 4, 2019 11:28 PM
Jul 2018
Why is it that when I make 2 threads asking people of what they think of dominant female characters, people complain, but when people like the OP make threads that do NOT encourage discussion nobody complains?
Double standards, anyone?
Feb 5, 2019 10:29 PM

May 2013
Scores matter as its a general sense of the viewing experience for the general audience.

More likely you will find a show you like in the higher rated ones than those in the lower rated ones.

Feb 6, 2019 1:07 PM

May 2014
DUDZ_DNA said:
some animes that are rated below a 5 (some as in all) are garbage. the chances of most people liking one of those is low, hence id say they are pretty accurate. don't forget a lot and i mean a LOT of people do not rate below a 5. for a show to be rated below a 5 on mal means something LOL.

^This. Shows with the higher scores, like Steins;Gate, FMAB, Your Lie in April etc tend to be of better quality than shows with a 6 or lower. There's a margin of error sure, but the score system is useful.
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Feb 6, 2019 1:08 PM

Jan 2019
Thanks for sharing OP, everyone already knew this but you decided to waste your time making this thread anyway.
Feb 6, 2019 1:14 PM

Dec 2012
They only matter in that they remind me what I thought of titles I've seen as a supplement to my own memory. They're not of any use to anyone but yourself, because all those numbers mean different things to everyone else.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 6, 2019 1:26 PM

Mar 2017
I never knew about this. thank u OP for enlightening me
Feb 6, 2019 1:29 PM

Nov 2010
I think they do give some idea if anime is good or not. Of course opinion changes scores a bit, some high rated aren't enjoyable to me when some lower rated are. But those with high scores are usually well-made animes even if I'm not fan of all themes and genres they have, for example Bakemonogatari that I recently watched, wasn't worth that 8.35 it has, gave it 7 myself, but it was pretty well made even if I was quite annoyed of "waifu of the ep" thing. And those that have lower than.. even 7 usually aren't that well made, they have quite some issues even if they might have enjoyable stuff.

Feb 6, 2019 7:19 PM

Jul 2013
I always give it a shot if it has over 7.5, however there are some titles out there, seasonal releases, that i enjoyed and they have a rating below 7.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

24 by Maou_heika »»
1 minute ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

57 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

4 by Maou_heika »»
5 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

17 by mizukasa »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 10 minutes ago

0 by MillerEvans23 »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.