Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 12, 2019 8:45 AM

Dec 2017
I want to know what makes a great villain, like if they need to be smart or cunning, look the part or not, and ect.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Jan 12, 2019 8:47 AM

Oct 2013
it depends on what the show i trying to do and use the villain for since there are so many different combos of what can make a great character
Jan 12, 2019 8:49 AM
Jul 2018
My favorite villains are honestly ones whose motives I actually agree with. Stain from bnha and Ardyn from final fantasy 15 come to mind. A villian who wants to be powerful just for the sake of it is boring to me.
Jan 12, 2019 8:54 AM

Mar 2015
They must want to live a quiet life

duwang
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Jan 12, 2019 8:55 AM

Aug 2018
1-A great villain needs a reason that justifies his actions.

2-He also needs a Good rival...a Batman to his joker.

3-He needs to specify his goal.

4-He must be interesting... and true to himself and his goal to the very end.

There are a lot of other stuff, that make a good villian...But that’s all I feel like listing right now lol.
Jan 12, 2019 8:56 AM

Feb 2010
You gotta be this guy
https://myanimelist.net/character/17646/General_Vamp
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 12, 2019 8:57 AM

Jul 2017
there isn't anthing like this.
hisoka as much as he's fun and a lovable psycopath can hardly be called a very well written character, or a humanly possible person yet he's in my top 2 most favourite characters ever.
griffith, on the other hand, is so much better written than hisoka, but he can't be called "fun", or "lovable"(depens on the person though) yet he's still in my top 2 favourites characters ever.

they are so much different, you could say "believable", "charismatic", "fun" or whatever you want, my point is: there will alwais be a counter example so you can't just list what makes a great antagonist.
Jan 12, 2019 8:58 AM

Oct 2014
A hero is only as good as their villain, and vice versa. They can be any amounts of smart, and hold any sort of ideals, but the most important thing is being able to contend with each other on all of those levels, otherwise they're just a shell.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jan 12, 2019 8:59 AM
Jul 2018
when the villain is doing the right thing in a wrong way, thats what makes a perfect villain
Jan 12, 2019 9:38 AM

Jul 2009
A good villain isn't supposed to be someone who does bad things for little to no reason, or common cliche goals like power just for the sake of it. They say that every villain is a hero in their own story, and when the author communicates that in an obvious way and gives them some depth, it makes it a bit easier to relate to them despite the things they did. In my opinion, good villains are the ones who initially had or maybe still have good intentions, but something went wrong along the way and they ended up doing bad things to make it happen.

君がいるそれだけで
命の全部が輝く
凍りついた心に
その鼓動が響き火を灯す
わからないままでも側に

君の側に 一番近くに

Jan 12, 2019 9:43 AM
Aug 2016
https://myanimelist.net/character/141358/All_For_One?q=faggot

all you have to do is be this guy ;Ddddddd
Jan 12, 2019 9:51 AM

Dec 2014
He has to have a tangible reason for doing what he does and for coming into conflict with the Heroes of the story. e.g Griffith wants his kingdom, Guts wants him dead, Griffith can't have his kingdom if he's dead and so on. A shitty villain's reasons for coming into conflict with the hero either do not exist, are incredibly stupid or feel cartoonishly evil e.g Kaguya exploding out of Madara without a will of her own or foreshadowing to be the final villain of Naruto was quite stupid.
Jan 12, 2019 10:50 AM
Jan 2019
I think
-the best thing villain should have is brain because many villain too dangerous but idiot
-villain better not to talk much, just think to juni they alway murmur something, woah it's emberrasing
-villain should lower a reason because reason just for kind charactor, even no reason they can do what they want
-villain must do complicate,impersonate.... let's example villain strong to beat hero but they use just punch to finish them do u get it, u must let people think villain strong but u musn't show how strong
-villain must look posible to do good thing but deffinitely do bad thing
Jan 19, 2019 11:33 AM
Nov 2018
The ambition he/she has and how far they can go in order to reach that ambition.
Jan 19, 2019 11:36 AM

Feb 2016
there's a whole article about it
https://myanimelist.net/featured/2264/The_Art_of_Evil__What_Makes_a_Good_Anime_Villain

MODERS – JUMP ON THE BOTTLE!!!

Jan 19, 2019 11:44 AM

Jan 2019
It depends on the story the show is trying to tell, but one thing that can make an effective villain is if they have a sympathetic aim. A bad guy being a bad guy because he is a bad guy is boring, unrelatable and has limited room for development.

But a bad guy who began as a good guy, or got into the situation he was in with the best intentions, or started out on a righteous path but had something happen to him that knocked him off his path and turned him bitter or cruel, these things propel a character arc. Even something as simple as a genuine belief that they are doing good can make a villain more effective, especially if it is directly at odds with the protagonists world view.

Saren Arterius from Mass Effect. Andrew Ryan from the Bioshock games. Saruman from Lord of the Rings. Even though the show wasn't brilliant, the villain in Psycho Pass was well written and his motives, if not his methods, were understandable.

There isn't a single answer that can cover every facet of an effective villain, but this is one.
Jan 19, 2019 11:45 AM

Aug 2017
5 Simple Rules for Writing a Good Villain

5) Make him empathetic to the person being entertained. If you can't empathize with a villain then he's just a place filler.
4) Character development without lengthy monologues. This kills the entertainment value of 99% of most good villains. If your villain has to explain himself to the hero and audience for more than 5 minutes... it's bad writing.
3) Less action is better. Let your villain use his power sparingly so that you never know his actual limitations. The more clearly defined your villains limitations are, the more the audience can anticipate his actions, there-go the less entertaining he happens to be.
2) He sometimes wins. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!! Your villain has to sometimes win in order to keep the story grounded.
1) Make the villain humanized. This is the hardest thing to do. When you get down to it villains are people to, and people have fears, ambitions, goals, they care about weird stuff, they love, they hate, they are humans. This is different from number five in that it focuses on more than a core personality trait. This is all of the other stuff which comes with a persons inner self. Writing a villains motivations is easy. Writing a villains irrational fear of staplers is not. This... is known as writing fluff details, details to flush out a character, and its surprisingly hard to do for a villain and a hero.

TWNWFM
Jan 19, 2019 2:52 PM
Jan 2019
a villain to move the history like the villain to fullmetal alchemist
Jan 19, 2019 2:58 PM

Dec 2016
The villain has to be interesting and be well written as a character. A good example of that is Kira Yoshikage which is considered by many one the best villains in anime.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jan 19, 2019 5:30 PM

Oct 2017
i don't think i'd be able to list all elements that i could find in great villains but i know some aspects that to me can completely bust a villain characterization

1. being inexplicably invencible
2. constantly resurrecting
3. being evil just for the sake of being evil with no depth to it

i like my villains with LAYERS
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 19, 2019 6:05 PM

Aug 2018
The villain should have many of the same characteristics of the hero, but they’re misdirected. Which makes it more intriguing. Most heroes represent who we would like to be but villains represent who we fear we actually are. Impeccable reasoning (personal preference) and a good amount of screen time and exposition to make you see them not as just the villain of the story but as someone who has their own motives to be there. Essentially they think they are doing what is right, so much so that they might actually be convincing enough to win over the audience.

A good villain is a villain we can understand, empathize with, and occasionally side with.
Jan 19, 2019 6:16 PM

Nov 2014
The best villains are those that have motives that reasonable people can relate to. As they rant about why they do what they do, it should really hit you that the villain probably isn't that different than you.

Some of the most powerful moments are when the villains reveal about themselves and you realise it could be conceivable that you might have ended up with the same thoughts as him. Even if you don't completely agree, you can concede that 1 small misconception and you would have come to the same conclusion.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview

More topics from this board

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 23 minutes ago

2 by alshu »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 28 minutes ago

7 by cyandaqil »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

39 by Fancyjasper »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

227 by Adnash »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.