Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 25, 2018 10:11 AM
Jan 2015
Why is there a RWBY Manga but no RWBY Anime in MAL? Seems illogical to me. I know the production is American but the studio has made the effort to make the show more japanese-like. If there is a mod here, please do something about this if you can.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered somewhere.

Love and Respect,
Me.
planetarianberryDec 25, 2018 10:14 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 25, 2018 10:50 AM

Jul 2015
Phlegmberry said:
Why is there a RWBY Manga but no RWBY Anime in MAL? Seems illogical to me. I know the production is American but the studio has made the effort to make the show more japanese-like. If there is a mod here, please do something about this if you can.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered somewhere.

Love and Respect,
Me.

u just answered your question by saying japanese-like

Well...
Dec 25, 2018 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
Same issue with Avatar The last Airbender.
It looks like an anime and the majority of anime fans have already watched it, but it's produced by an American studio sooooo
Dec 25, 2018 3:47 PM

Nov 2018
Funny thing is, we have Chinese production which is not Japan but still is considered to be on the list. What makes this so?
Dec 25, 2018 5:44 PM

Feb 2010
yuccasnpk said:
Funny thing is, we have Chinese production which is not Japan but still is considered to be on the list. What makes this so?
general bias anything from korea or china counts as anime, but anything from america canada etc that has the elements of anime is not considered anime.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 25, 2018 6:56 PM

Nov 2018
hazarddex said:
yuccasnpk said:
general bias anything from korea or china counts as anime, but anything from america canada etc that has the elements of anime is not considered anime.

Well now, that's sad.
Dec 26, 2018 1:10 AM

Jan 2017
'Cause this is an anime site not a cartoon site

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jan 8, 2019 7:31 AM
Jan 2017
swirlydragon said:
'Cause this is an anime site not a cartoon site

Bub, sorry to burst your bubble but
Anime are cartoons.
Jan 9, 2019 3:07 PM
Dec 2016
Well, RWBY isn't an anime, but just looks like one. Though, it would be cool if it were one I guess.
Jan 9, 2019 3:27 PM

Jul 2016
hazarddex said:
yuccasnpk said:

seriously, who decide that? who decide what is an anime and what isn't ?
Jan 9, 2019 5:09 PM

Nov 2016
Because RWBY is in the same Gray Area as Avatar. Both may Borrows some Cliches and Tropes from Anime but none of them were made in Japan or any other Asian Country(MAL is not as strict Anymore because of Manwha adaptations). The manga is Made in Japan and Is Seriealized in a manga Magazine. Thats why its here while the Rooster Teeth Show is not.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2019 5:21 PM

Aug 2017
it's not japanese but i'd still like to see it on here tbh
Jan 11, 2019 4:46 AM
Apr 2017
I know that RWBY is produced by an American studio. But it has got a japanese dubbing too and the anime is in crunchyroll site. The manga is in MAL so i think It would be nice if the Anime will be here too :)
Jan 11, 2019 5:43 AM

Mar 2018
Um,because it's not anime?
Jan 20, 2019 4:28 PM
May 2017
just wait until a japanese studio makes an adaptation of RWBY, then RWBY will be on MAL as an anime and the salt will be glorious
Jan 20, 2019 6:17 PM

Sep 2018
Honestly, they should have it. If they can call shows from China anime despite not being Japanese, then I don't see why they can't have the likes of RWBY and Castlevania.
Jan 27, 2019 2:36 PM

Sep 2017
I think they may just have just decided to draw the line geographically instead of culturally or aesthetically, because it's a less subjective criterion for administrating a site. The same way government would do in giving legal definition for things like citizenship or the age of majority etc.

The reason why Chinese & Korean production is included while American production is excluded is quite simple: if you have drawn the line geographically, the inclusion of American animation means you will have to include every American production that fall under the technical definition of animation. That means you need to include a vast amount of American cartoon like Disney and Simpsons, and that would dilute the site for a considerable degree. It's not the same case with Chinese and Korean productions.
Jan 27, 2019 3:00 PM

Jul 2016
It's made by Americans, and is aimed at a western audience. It's not anime.

Feb 1, 2019 11:00 PM
Jan 2016
CHC said:
I think they may just have just decided to draw the line geographically instead of culturally or aesthetically, because it's a less subjective criterion for administrating a site. The same way government would do in giving legal definition for things like citizenship or the age of majority etc.

The reason why Chinese & Korean production is included while American production is excluded is quite simple: if you have drawn the line geographically, the inclusion of American animation means you will have to include every American production that fall under the technical definition of animation. That means you need to include a vast amount of American cartoon like Disney and Simpsons, and that would dilute the site for a considerable degree. It's not the same case with Chinese and Korean productions.

No you don't, only the ones that are clearly anime-inspired such as this one. Anime just means animation; though it refers to the style of Japanese animation, that does not mean it can only be made in Japan.
Feb 1, 2019 11:23 PM

Sep 2017
EricAzure said:
CHC said:

No you don't, only the ones that are clearly anime-inspired such as this one. Anime just means animation; though it refers to the style of Japanese animation, that does not mean it can only be made in Japan.

I've said it at the beginning: you don't want your bibliographic criteria to be subjective when you're running a site. You don't want the basic logistic of your site to depend on the result of some endless, facile internet debate about style. What counts as "Japanese style" is highly subjective. The style of Astro Boy is arguably closer to Disney than it is to Naruto. The style of Kaima is closer to East European experimental animation of the 70s than it is to Gundam. The style of Panty & Stocking is closer to The Powerpuff Girls than it is to Madoka Magica. You need to set a clear-cut boundary for running a site, and that's why they have chosen to use geographical criterion.
Feb 1, 2019 11:48 PM

Sep 2017
To be honest, I think the motivation for essentialising "the Japanese style" is usually juvenile: it is usually just teenagers who want to avoid being associated with the kid's shows of Western origin they watched when they were even younger. They have to emphasise what they're watching is "Japanese anime" or "anime-inspired" instead of cartoon because they don't want to be seen as a kid.

But in fact the boundary between Japanese and Western animation is just like the boundary between American TV drama and British TV drama. The only way for you to run a fan site of British TV drama is to give clear-cut geographical definition to what "British TV drama" means. You don't want to corrode your strict boundary by including "British-inspired American TV drama" which will only lead to even more in-between cases (eg. How about "British-inspired-American-TV-drama"-inspired American TV drama?)
Apr 17, 2019 8:49 PM
Jan 2015
All these arguments are complete and utter trash... Anime in Japan doesn't even mean what it means over here. If we're going to go by arbitrary definitions, then shouldn't ALL cartoons suddenly have to be included, by virtue of that being what anime is in Japan? Let me guess, the answer is going to be no, isn't it? Because this site does NOT give a damn about being culturally deferential to Japan. For one thing, as people have already pointed out, it has anime from outside of Japan already.

It even has the Animatrix! Yes, it's mostly Japanese anime studios who did the animation, but it WAS American in large part directed and written by the Wachowskis! What about Transformers? It's also technically Japanese animated but was mostly an American IP. The site even went out of its way to use the Japanese name, and poster, and lists the Japanese VA's instead of the MUCH more famous American Va's for the G1 Transformers show. This is where things get kind of hypocritical to me. Transformers is NOT an anime, it's just animated by Toei. It's technically a Japanese-American property.

But it's probably not even known by most fans that it was animated in Japan or that it was a joint venture. Why does just being animated in Japan by an anime studio grant Transformers the right to be on MAL, when RWBY which is FAR more anime in style isn't? I mean, it WAS created by a man who was at least part Japanese... Monty Oum was Cambodian, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese. All clearly Asian countries!

Does the fact that he was born in America suddenly make him no longer Asian? At the very least, it should be called an American anime. But honestly, I find it stupid and immature that people argue about whether it's anime just because it's not from Japan. I mean, Avatar: The Last Airbender is CLEARLY Asian in setting and doesn't even attempt to be an American cartoon. Yet it also gets the same response that because it's not from Japan it can't be called anime. I disagree with that sentiment, strongly.
Apr 17, 2019 8:59 PM

Jul 2014
Thread Locked

RWBY isn't on the database because it doesn't meet MAL's anime DB guidelines.

1. The following entries are allowed in the anime database:
Professionally produced, animated works created:
  • in Japan for the Japanese market;
  • in Korea/China for the Korean/Chinese market;
  • as a joint production between Japan/Korea/China and another country.
    Note: This does not include productions where only the animation is outsourced.
Take care of yourself

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » RWBY Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2015

26 by -Nekomo- »»
Nov 14, 2021 2:50 PM

» Other versions

NG_Chloe - May 30, 2019

1 by Kitlyan »»
Aug 10, 2020 3:17 PM

Poll: » RWBY Chapter 12 Discussion

Zekonze - Aug 1, 2020

0 by Zekonze »»
Aug 1, 2020 9:13 PM

Poll: » RWBY Chapter 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3, 2016

4 by TrueUtopian »»
Mar 28, 2017 6:51 AM

» Any way we can change the cover photo?

AutumnJunior - Dec 17, 2016

1 by Ochimusha »»
Dec 17, 2016 3:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.