Forum Settings
Forums

Do you agree on myanimelist rating/score or ranking on anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 19, 2020 6:28 AM

Jun 2016
Some of them are right but the majority of them are wrong. Some are too high, some are too low, some are lower than shows that are worse.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 19, 2020 6:30 AM

Oct 2018
It's a 1 to 10 rating system... What other system could even be used? Emojis?
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 19, 2020 6:38 AM

Dec 2018
No I don’t agree with the ratings, but I respect it since it’s a mean score by the community. Who am I to say everyone has shit taste when it’s I that has shit taste.
Apr 19, 2020 6:39 AM

Sep 2017
The general top anime ranking is great imo (and I'm not afraid to rely on scores to select what anime to watch)

The rating system could be a little better though, by adding decimals we could give anime more precise scores like in Anilist
Apr 19, 2020 8:04 AM

Feb 2020
It doesn't tell me if I will enjoy it, but I don't really watch anime with MAL ratings below a 7.

NO_U_ETC said:

I like your signature.
Apr 19, 2020 8:39 AM

Oct 2018
SansWobbles said:
It doesn't tell me if I will enjoy it, but I don't really watch anime with MAL ratings below a 7.

NO_U_ETC said:

I like your signature.

Thanks! I like your avatar ;)

As for finding out if I'll like an anime or not. I find that the number ranking has little bearing on if it is good or not.
So, instead of going off the MAL number, I'll partially read a few reviews (that don't have spoilers). Picking reviewers that gave a 10 or close to, and a few that gave a 1 or close to.
That way I get a contrast of what to expect.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 19, 2020 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
I use them to know if an anime is generally considered good, bad, or alright by the majority of people. But if we're talking specific scores, then many aren't that accurate. Especially due to hardcore fans giving new seasons of anime they like straight 10s, e.g. Haikyuu!! to the Top
Apr 19, 2020 8:45 AM

Apr 2019
I usually don't agree because MAL ratings are just the median of the votes, without normalization. This means people giving out 10s like candy are rewarded, while those trying to spread out the rates over the full range are punished. It now happens to be that younger viewers who think "their" shows(s) should lead the list push ratings to unrealistic heights, while fans of more obscure and mature shows are more critical and on average hand out lower ratings. Normalization would remove the effect.

You can look at the FMA:B & Co. rating on anidb.net to see the effect. Shounens have half a point higher median scores easily, which after normalization drops and ranks them much lower. I don't criticize anybody's taste here, each his own. But this adds a bias towards certain genres to the ratings which make them far less usable for folks who dislike those genres.

MAL, like anidb, should display both media (raw) and normalized (to full range, cooked) ratings. That way people can still play the rating inflation game, while those who are actually interested in a neutral view can use the normalized version.
inimApr 19, 2020 9:07 AM

Apr 19, 2020 8:48 AM

Dec 2015
The only thing I'm not agreeing with woud the top show.

If we don't count that one, I don't really care about that's top 2 -> 1000.
As I'm not watching anime based on score and if you, do the only thing I can do is pity you.

Score dosen't matter when it comes to entertainment, we have different opinion so it makes sense that I coud rate Ousame game high vs some that woud rate it low.

I'm here for entertainment so going for score woud be a bad idé in my case.

And I like to have scoring system so I know what I loved and hate, I think MaL woud not be the same thing without it.

Apr 19, 2020 9:46 AM

Apr 2019
Pullman said:
On average 8+ rated shows are better than 7-8 rated shows which are better than 6-7 rated shows etc...
Unfortunately this only holds if you like certain genres with a rating inflating fan base. An 8/10 means very little for my shit taste, many of them bored me to death.

Apr 19, 2020 9:53 AM

Jan 2010
Yes because Gintama is in top. That's all that matters.
Apr 19, 2020 10:53 AM

Sep 2014
Obviously not. I oppose the rating of every single anime. Yes. Every Single One!
Apr 19, 2020 10:56 AM

Oct 2017
Seems like a dead topic has been resurrected.

But no, I don't agree with the current rankings. There are a lot of bot accounts that were made to specifically boost FMA:B score, and decrease the score for anything close to it, people don't have anything better to do.
Apr 19, 2020 11:02 AM

Jan 2013
If you mean the top anime then well, I don't agree with everything there, but it's still way better than rankings I've seen on other sites.
Apr 19, 2020 2:29 PM

Feb 2020
Not really, I found myself truly liking some shows that are rated pretty badly and in opposition disliking shows that have a very good score. But that's normal, we all have our own tastes, so we can't always 100% agree with the general opinion.
Apr 19, 2020 2:31 PM

May 2017
I used to, but I realized that trusting opinions on the Internet alone can leave you being close minded to things that you never managed to give a chance. The anime that low scores on here were sometimes the shows that I enjoyed the most.
Apr 19, 2020 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit
Apr 19, 2020 6:46 PM

Jan 2019
there's thousands of anime shows on this site. of course i'm going to disagree with at least one show's score. the point of an aggregate score though is to get a general consensus. honestly, the scores don't matter that much. just read the reviews.

animeanimeanime

Apr 19, 2020 6:53 PM

Oct 2019
Horrible anime still only get an average of 7, which is considered (personally) quite an overate.

If a standard anime is a 5/10, why is a majority over 7? hm...

I don't agree with the ratings, but I'm afraid the fmab fanboys would roast me alive.
Apr 19, 2020 6:58 PM

May 2019
It's based on the opinions of all the anime community so its perfectly fair, few are the people who actually analyze it from a more critic point of view, so its a popular opinion and most of the time, pretty accurate.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Are newcomer edgy anime fans not edgelords but actually normies? ( 1 2 )

LenRea - May 16

72 by FruitPunchBaka »»
58 seconds ago

» What's the most disturbing/scary hentai you've seen? ( 1 2 )

Mini_usagi - May 20, 2020

75 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that made you feel emotional

ST63LTH - 30 minutes ago

4 by Ratris_Decision »»
4 minutes ago

» Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

Dragevard - 7 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the harem genre trashy? ( 1 2 )

JustSomeone15 - May 19

58 by TheMechaManiac »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.