Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 25, 2018 5:37 PM

Oct 2017
casualweeaboo said:
Animation is almost always bad. I don't care for big robots. The drama in mecha isn't my type.

The best thing they have going for them is the music.

I mean I get your last two points but there are tons of mecha shows that have really good animation. Just go look up a clip from Thunderbolt.
Oct 25, 2018 6:50 PM

Jul 2015
I mean I get your last two points but there are tons of mecha shows that have really good animation. Just go look up a clip from Thunderbolt.

The key word is "almost". There are obviously outliers.
Oct 25, 2018 10:28 PM

Aug 2014
i dont like most mecha designs and the battle scenes r too choppy and borring those all out mecha warfare types turn me off.. the only mecha stuff i watched so far was darling in the franx, code geass, Voltron Legendary Defender, Vandread
TheDiabolicEsperOct 25, 2018 10:58 PM

Oct 25, 2018 10:49 PM
Apr 2018
Tsarko said:
I guess many people assume that many/most/all mecha anime are just giant robots fighting each other or some giant monster and that concept doesn't appeal to them. When in truth mecha tag doesn't say much about the show

That’s true if you look at the genre that’s keeping
Mecha series relevant ie: harem/ecchi series
Most of the mecha suits are skullation suits “Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut, Hundred, HxH etc
Instead of 50feet mecha’s “gundam”
Oct 25, 2018 10:58 PM

Mar 2017
DoubleJEspejwan6 said:
Cabron said:
That's literally every super robot anime, it's meant to be over the top and ridiculous. Real world physics and logic doesn't apply to it, if you want that watch some Real Robot anime.

You mean to tell me that there are other mecha anime in which the protagonist pilots a mecha a couple billion/trillion times larger than they are? I mean I suspend my disbelief for a ton of different shows, but that scene made it hard to even grasp just how much was at stake considering the two in the fight were throwing around entire galaxies like Frisbees.

TTGL relationship with suspension of disbelief is less, 'attempt to make this seem kind of plausible within the rules we've established,' and more, 'shoot so far into unabashed radness that it doesn't matter if this is believable or not,' and I for have to applaud the series for this. TTGL never quite takes itself seriously, so I found the sillier elements endearing rather than grating.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Oct 25, 2018 11:57 PM
Bad Opinions

Feb 2014
I can see why a lot of people like mechas, but to me, the whole idea just doesn't spark my interest. I don't want to say I hate it, I just don't enjoy the genre.
Oct 25, 2018 11:59 PM

Mar 2016
Degenerates hate mecha anime

Simple as that
Oct 26, 2018 12:29 AM

Apr 2010
Unlike most anime genres, people don't tend to see it in "regular" movie and TV series. It may be the reason

Oct 26, 2018 2:55 AM

Oct 2015
Lack of waifu and/or husbandos.

Both of these always sells
Oct 26, 2018 3:12 AM

Feb 2010
casualweeaboo said:

Yeah, which goes for anime series as a whole so why single out mecha? Mecha doesn't look worse than any other genre on average.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 26, 2018 3:54 AM

Jun 2016
MonkeyDMike said:

Yeah I didn't phrase it that correctly. I meant when battles are revolved around them. That's unappealing to me.

Do you mainly watch for battles? To me, battles are a backdrop for plot, themes and characters. I didn't really like the battles in Gurren Lagaan, but I still love it for the ideas and symbolism.
Oct 26, 2018 4:07 AM

Sep 2014
CommieCool said:
MonkeyDMike said:

Yeah I didn't phrase it that correctly. I meant when battles are revolved around them. That's unappealing to me.

Do you mainly watch for battles? To me, battles are a backdrop for plot, themes and characters. I didn't really like the battles in Gurren Lagaan, but I still love it for the ideas and symbolism.

It's not only about the battles, I just dislike mechas so I just don't care about the genre altogether. I tried to watch shows with it before and just cannot enjoy it. If I cannot stand the genre, I have no interest in the show and what it offers.
Oct 26, 2018 12:46 PM

Apr 2015
Those who hate or find mecha anime boring probably haven't watch a decent amount of mecha. This types of people tend to generalize the genre as being nothing more than giant robots fighting against each other. Step out of your conform zone and try to experience different mecha shows besides NGE, TTGL, and GS.
Oct 26, 2018 3:28 PM

Mar 2015
People hate mecha because they don't watch it; or have barely watched any. This is how everyone I've ever met and discussed with have been, and it's the same with older anime(70s-80s).
Oct 26, 2018 6:03 PM

Aug 2015
Well i think that people just haven't watched gurren lagann and have watched Eva instead.

Oct 26, 2018 9:51 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Its becuase mecha anime tend to lack cute girls in comparison to other types of anime and these days, many anime fans are obsessed with waifus and moe.

SaltyShoebill said:
Lack of waifu and/or husbandos.

Both of these always sells

Was gundam wing and 00 not enough?

LeonhartAugustOct 26, 2018 10:06 PM
Oct 26, 2018 10:02 PM

Nov 2011
DepravedMagi said:
Its becuase mecha anime tend to lack cute girls in comparison to other types of anime and these days, many anime fans are obsessed with waifus and moe.

I mean, it’s not like that can’t be arranged either though.

TripleSRankMay 14, 2020 4:53 AM
Oct 26, 2018 10:08 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
TripleSRank said:
DepravedMagi said:

I read that manga a while ago and to be fair, it didn’t feel like a mecha to me.

Oct 26, 2018 10:17 PM

Nov 2011
DepravedMagi said:
TripleSRank said:

I read that manga a while ago and to be fair, it didn’t feel like a mecha to me.

“It didn’t feel like a mecha to me.”

Bingo. Thank you for making my point. Mecha is a very diverse category and people are wrong to try to generalize it.

It most definitely is a mecha, btw. The Rune Gods are a massive part of the plotline in the first season and they are used a whole lot in the second season.
TripleSRankMay 14, 2020 5:37 AM
Oct 26, 2018 10:22 PM

Dec 2016
@DepravedMagi MKR is a mecha because it includes mechas. The mere inclusion of "giant robots" (in this case just called in a different way, but it's the same concept) in a show is enough to be considered as mecha.

@TripleSRank Anyway, I don't consider it a show with "cute girls", it's a shoujo, but not every shoujo is a cute girls show.
Oct 26, 2018 10:39 PM

Nov 2011
Arkab said:
@TripleSRank Anyway, I don't consider it a show with "cute girls", it's a shoujo, but not every shoujo is a cute girls show.

We probably have different definitions for “cute girls shows” then. I don’t take that to strictly mean moe: People who watch anime for the girls aren’t necessarily looking solely for moe, so even if they aren’t moe in the sense of something like Cardcaptor Sakura, I don’t think that disqualifies the show.

Magic Knight Rayearth being shoujo is actually a boon for the appeal factor in this case imo, but I’m well aware shoujo =/= cute girls show.
Oct 27, 2018 10:41 AM

Jul 2015
Pullman said:
casualweeaboo said:

Yeah, which goes for anime series as a whole so why single out mecha? Mecha doesn't look worse than any other genre on average.

Because IMO badly animated robots look worse than badly animated humans. I do agree that most animation is poor but when animating something that's supposed to be as big, impressive, and complex as a mech, the quality is much more important.
Oct 27, 2018 4:02 PM

Apr 2014
its just the one more people are vocal about disliking. if we go by pure stats, then dementia is the most hated "genre" or whatever, but less people are vocal about their disdain for that so its not as perpetuated as mecha is
Oct 27, 2018 8:24 PM

Jul 2014
Of the dozen or so mecha shows that I've watched, I've found the fight choreography to usually be exceedingly boring and uninteresting. I've watched a little bit of Gundam (it isn't the only mecha show I've seen) and the swordfights just look so stiff.

It also doesn't help that, like, 80% (this is definitely an exaggeration) of shows tagged with "military" are bloody mecha shows.

Also, I know there's a lot of praise thrown around for Gundam and its themes about war, but I just find it hard to suspend my belief long enough to get past the idea of seeing robots fight each other. If the robots weren't there then I'd probably be all over it.

On a side note, I don't really understand why Ghost in the Shell is tagged with "mecha". That aspect of the show always seemed rather minor to me.
SithSteelOct 27, 2018 8:32 PM
Oct 28, 2018 12:33 AM

Mar 2013
We don't.
It's just that most aren't as good as Break Blade and BB isn't the best thing ever either.
Oct 28, 2018 12:36 AM

May 2018
Because mecha is nothing more than emotionless machine. In other word, they are boring.
Oct 28, 2018 12:44 AM

Feb 2017
I just don't like action anime much in general, even less when all the action scenes are giant robots. I just don't find giant robots visually appealing.
Oct 28, 2018 12:53 AM

Mar 2013
I kinda feel like most shows that have mechs and do well generally have another primary theme besides the mechs themselves.
It feels like they need to try harder to appeal with shows primarily themed around the mechs in the series just to make waves in popularity.
The last good mech show I watched was Planet With and it was arguably not the mechs that made the show 'good'.
May 14, 2020 4:19 AM
Dec 2018
mecha to me ain't that appealing. But it doesn't mean I hate them. Some of my fav like darling in the franxx and code geass are mecha.
I'd rather see two sweaty dude fighting than see two robots fighting.
(maybe I watched too much of power rangers while growing up)
May 14, 2020 5:10 AM

Aug 2018
If i like a mecha anime its gonna be because of the story and characters and not cause of the giant robot fights, the mecha aspect isnt enough to make me interested in it, so i dont really love mecha but dont hate it either since its not the mecha that im watching it for
May 14, 2020 5:11 AM

Mar 2016
I personally have no problem with mecha anime. In fact there are a few I really enjoy. I do feel like it's a dying genre, though. I'd like to see that change in the coming years...even though it seems pretty unlikely.
May 14, 2020 5:18 AM

Oct 2019
Mecha anime can be sometimes boring but cool mechs like gundam with good characters and story can keep me intrigued in this genre.

May 14, 2020 5:24 AM

Jan 2020
maybe because they think that :
1.Mecha anime looks childlish
2.its more like an ad show to make the viewers buy the toy
3. it focused more on battles compared to plot
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
May 14, 2020 5:30 AM

Mar 2020
It really depends between each person some people like it for the action, some may like it for the story and some just dont like seeing robots even if the show has an actual plot and everything. imo, mecha anime isnt that but aslong as its not boring and it can keep me hooked.
May 14, 2020 5:35 AM

Jul 2015
MarcusRomain said:
maybe because they think that :
1.Mecha anime looks childlish
2.its more like an ad show to make the viewers buy the toy
3. it focused more on battles compared to plot

Maybe because they never saw an actual mecha anime? lmao. I can't think of a single big name that is just merchandising for toys. Actually, you don't sell toys unless your anime/manga gets popular, so I don't understand what kind of backwards logic you need to apply to think they'remerchandising stunts lol.

The original Macross? I think the mechs get like 5-10% screentime at most, battles are over in 30s, and the romance is more adult and credible than 99% of the crap you see in romance genre.
May 14, 2020 8:13 AM

Feb 2017
I don't hate them, it's just not my cup of tea.

I've got limited interest in robots, both in Western media and in anime. The only time you'd probably get me watching one if is the mecha was secondary to something else, like romance.

I'm not interested in sports anime generally either. Idc irl, idc in anime.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
May 14, 2020 8:19 AM
Jan 2018
don't hate them just haven't started watching much yet after i have finshed SSSS.gridman i plan to start gundam
May 14, 2020 8:19 AM

Oct 2018
Most mecha, with exception for a few, are incredibly boring.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
May 14, 2020 8:21 AM

May 2020
some mecha anime is good unless its some weird ripoff of transformers
May 14, 2020 8:25 AM

Jun 2016
I just asked my sister who hates mecha to tell me why she hates the genre but she said that she doesn't know. Weird, I love the genre and I thought that giant robots would have a wider appeal.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 14, 2020 8:33 AM

Feb 2015
From what I've gathered throughout years doing inquiries among anime fans, those who tend to like the genre more took at least a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, whether they're now overseeing a project these days, or are currently doing a brief stint at McDonald's to make ends meet as students from Harvard.
May 14, 2020 8:35 AM
Aug 2018
I don't like how the mecha looks in most of them. Only mecha designs that I liked are the Evangelion desgins. I have nothing against mecha anime but mecha fighting feels boring compared to say hand to hand fighting.
May 14, 2020 8:39 AM

Feb 2020
People do?!
It's the most popular genre in Japan dude!
Not my favourite, but it's quite alright!

tysm iva-🐢💜

May 14, 2020 9:15 AM

Oct 2018
It's not that I hate the genre is just not for me. That's not me saying that I don't like any Mecha shows. My favorite anime of all time is Code Geass but even with that show the last thing I am watching it for is the Mecha fights. I'm more so love that show for its characters and the story. The only Mecha anime that I watched where I was legit into the fights was Gurren Lagann and that's just do two how over-the-top those fights were. I don't really think it's a hate thing when it comes to the Mecha genre I just think it's that most of the online anime community doesn't find it that interesting.
May 14, 2020 11:22 AM

Aug 2018
I don't hate mecha per se but I'm not really all that interested in anime where military struggle is the primary focus. I guess mechs are a good way to make important characters more powerful than one lone soldier on the battlefield could ever be.
May 14, 2020 1:00 PM
Apr 2020
I just don't find shows like that interesting, idk why
May 16, 2020 8:51 AM

Aug 2019
majority -tbh all of them??- are sci-fi and ive never been a fan of sci-fi even before i got into anime. also, the robots just don't appeal to me??? animation wise they look ugly and i just personally chose real life bodies over mechanical ones.

its funny bc nge is one of my favourite animes of all time and its a mecha. but tbh, nobody came for the mecha with nge.
May 16, 2020 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
Nobody has a reason not to, unless the reason is 'I'm not interested' or 'I simply don't'
May 16, 2020 9:12 AM

Nov 2011
Aside from shilling Rayearth like I was in this thread back in 2018, I actually have a proper answer I’m going to paste and tweak from elsewhere:

Before I even address the topic, I think it's worth noting that this is something more specific to MAL than it is the general anime community. Either that, or for whatever reason mecha fans don't mingle with your typical anime fans. It illustrate, Gundam IBO's MAL stats show that there are just over 53,000 people on MAL who watched it. This would initially make it seem niche, but back when it was airing and publicly available on GundamInfo's youtube channel the English-subbed episodes would regularly garner over 100,000 views, and would occasionally get some crazy near-300k views. That is nothing to scoff at.

If you look to the past on sites like someanithing, you'll notice that the highest-grossing opening week for BD sales on record sits with Gundam SEED and its sequel (over $45 million and over $53 million respectively), even beating opening weeks for behemoths like the Monogatari franchise and Attack on Titan.

The point is, mecha is huge and very popular both in the East and in the West. Don't let someone delude you. It is MAL that isn't very fond of mecha. MAL's community is the oddball.

With all of that out of the way, why doesn't MAL's community like mecha? I would point to closed-mindedness. They make a lot of false assumptions about the genre without actually trying much of it. So, let's clear the air a bit with some of the biggest ones and compare to reality.

Rumor 1: Mecha is about robots fighting each other.
Reality: Well, no. Mecha are generally not all about whose robot is best at smashing other robots up save for in the uncommon sports-esque robot battle style shows. In most mecha, battles (if there are any) are a backdrop to the actual focus of the plot, such as a war story, adventure story, romance, or even a mystery. There are plenty of titles where mecha battles are quite sparse and/or short.

Rumor 2: Mecha are all dry and boring and its identical twin, Mecha are all absurd and childish.
Reality: These two thoughts are opposite to each other, but both stem from the same type of assumption. In essense, the person saying this either thinks that all mecha are like Gundam, or that all mecha are like TTGL. They're each very different types of shows. For those who enjoyed TTGL, there's an entire "super robot" subgenre for them to explore. For those who don't, the "real robot" subgenre may be of more interest to them, where mecha are less superhero-like and treated more along the lines of tanks and fighter jets-- useful but expendable. For the inverse with those who have tried and disliked the "real robot" subgenre (e.g. most Gundam titles), the over-the-top zaniness of the "super robot" subgenre (with titles like TTGL) may appeal to you. And aside from either, you have mecha that primarily focus on something mostly or entirely unrelated to combat.

Rumor 3: If I try the real robot subgenre, I have to go aaaaaall the way back to the beginning with the original Mobile Suit Gundam. That's too long/old/boring-looking/the-franchise-is-too-big/other-reason.
Reality: Absolutely not. For one, Gundam is far from the only mecha in this category. There's Knights of Sidonia, Patlabor, VOTOMS, etc. plus franchises like Macross, Full Metal Panic!, and even NGE that straddle the line between real and super. For two, even if you do want to start with Gundam, you don't need to start with the old stuff. There are many newer, shorter, and flashier Gundams that don't require starting from the original MSG. You could start with Gundam SEED, Gundam IBO, Turn-A Gundam, etc. and go from there.

Rumor 4: TTGL is the best mecha eveeeeer!!
Reality: Hold up. As I said in the answer to rumor 2, TTGL is just one of many anime in the super robot subgenre. Although TTGL is pretty over-the-top even for a super robot show, if you liked/loved TTGL, watch some of the others before you say that! Aside from hybrids like Full Metal Panic!/Macross/NGE, there's Eureka Seven, Suisei no Gargantia, Infinite Ryvius, Gunbuster, Mazinger Z, etc.

I'm sure there may be some people on MAL who legitimately don't like a lot of mecha, but I believe most fall into the category of someone who believes one or multiple of the above.
May 16, 2020 9:17 AM
\(☆^∀^☆)/

Dec 2018
Not really my thing. I can’t really say I hate mecha anime because I don’t think I’ve ever watched one but I’m simply not interested enough to even try one.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
47 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - Today

48 by ShatteredSans »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour

animegamer245 - 19 minutes ago

1 by delirific »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

54 by omorashi »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

51 by vasipi4946 »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.