Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 2018 5:46 AM

Jul 2015
Pocket MAL & MALClient no longer work and the official app still sucks.
PsychoticDaveMay 24, 2018 6:00 AM
May 24, 2018 6:10 AM

Apr 2014
mal disabled their api so apps can't communicate with the main site anymore. also part of the mass password reset event earlier. iatgof said for their app, mal hasn't given any info on when it will be resolved
May 24, 2018 6:13 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Please contact DeNA's Customer Support for information.
May 24, 2018 11:05 AM

Jan 2015
I encourage all to contact customer support. Disabling api may not be serious for some, but it is for me.
May 24, 2018 11:19 AM

Mar 2012
I can confirm that MAL is not providing any info on when things may be fixed for third party applications.

If you don't like the situation, the best option is to flood Customer Support, which is handled by owner DeNA with issues. Remember to be polite if you do write, the people answering the tickets aren't responsible for the situation. The idea is to show demand for a fix, not vent anger.
Developer, sysadmin, and anime addict.
Have an Android smartphone? Try Atarashii!
May 24, 2018 12:19 PM

Jul 2015
motoko said:
I can confirm that MAL is not providing any info on when things may be fixed for third party applications.

If you don't like the situation, the best option is to flood Customer Support, which is handled by owner DeNA with issues. Remember to be polite if you do write, the people answering the tickets aren't responsible for the situation. The idea is to show demand for a fix, not vent anger.

I already did when Kineta said to. I just said third-party applications can no longer connect and MAL isn't as convenient as it was.
May 24, 2018 1:43 PM

Feb 2010
Kineta said:

OK thanks, I've done that. If you come across an ETA on when third party aps would be restored, that would be greatly appreciated if you could share it with us!
May 24, 2018 3:38 PM

Sep 2008
Funfact: You at least still can check when your friends were on last time ...
And the recent anime you added via the page is also updated.
Just most important part of those apps obviously being involved.
May 24, 2018 6:18 PM

Sep 2011
Shishio-kun said:
Kineta said:

OK thanks, I've done that. If you come across an ETA on when third party aps would be restored, that would be greatly appreciated if you could share it with us!
Zero ETA. It's indefinite.
May 24, 2018 6:55 PM

Feb 2010
Tyrel said:
Shishio-kun said:

Zero ETA. It's indefinite.

Ouch! Thanks though for the update. Indefinite is better than permanent!

May 24, 2018 8:53 PM

Mar 2012
Shishio-kun said:

Indefinite is a nice way to say "permanent" when you're leaning that way but don't want the blowback as hard.
May 24, 2018 9:17 PM

Feb 2010
motoko said:
Shishio-kun said:

Indefinite is a nice way to say "permanent" when you're leaning that way but don't want the blowback as hard.

lol yeah. Getting flashbacks to craveonline and the img-kun incident
May 25, 2018 3:20 AM
Feb 2018
motoko said:
Shishio-kun said:

do you know that as a fact or is that pure conjecture?
May 25, 2018 6:46 AM

Sep 2009
Well damn.. SO no idea when the app/apps will start working D:

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
May 25, 2018 9:23 AM

Mar 2012
Steeljackrabbit said:
motoko said:

Conjecture with a bit of experience with the service. Call it an educated guess. There's a lot of difference between "We don't know when or if it's coming back" and "We're working to restore access as soon as possible". Both are indefinite, but only one shows an actual intent to fix things. MAL has provided the equivalent of the first one to developers.
May 25, 2018 1:33 PM
Feb 2018
motoko said:
Steeljackrabbit said:

Conjecture with a bit of experience with the service. Call it an educated guess. There's a lot of difference between "We don't know when or if it's coming back" and "We're working to restore access as soon as possible". Both are indefinite, but only one shows an actual intent to fix things. MAL has provided the equivalent of the first one to developers.
fair enough, not trying to be hostile or anything. I'm just really irritated with this decision.
May 25, 2018 2:06 PM
Aug 2017
Steeljackrabbit said:
motoko said:

fair enough, not trying to be hostile or anything. I'm just really irritated with this decision.

It's a decent guess, this is the danger of building on someone else's platform they can pull the plug at any time. Typically that is made known upfront or a warning is given. Internet companies that act in a manner such as just pulling the API from under the development community that has helped them reach where they are is never a wise choice. There is plenty of examples on the internet where such tactics have backfired on the company pulling the plug.
May 25, 2018 3:51 PM

Mar 2012
Steeljackrabbit said:
I'm just really irritated with this decision.

Us developers are pretty irritated too, especially ones with active applications that then get a ton of nasty messages over this.

Keiggard said:
It's a decent guess, this is the danger of building on someone else's platform they can pull the plug at any time. Typically that is made known upfront or a warning is given.

That's the irritating thing. They had actually been working with several third-party developers to build a modern improved API, and even had it open for testing before suddenly closing it a few weeks ago. Now they did this without warning. I mean, if that outreach hadn't happened and everyone was still stuck with scraping HTML and using the ancient "API", then it may be a bit more understandable. With the recent actions they have taken, it feels like malicious betrayal, even if it is not. Unfortunately, there seems to be a gag order, so that leaves conjecture to set the narrative, and that conjecture is very negative.
May 25, 2018 3:59 PM
Aug 2017
motoko said:
Steeljackrabbit said:

Us developers are pretty irritated too, especially ones with active applications that then get a ton of nasty messages over this.

Keiggard said:
It's a decent guess, this is the danger of building on someone else's platform they can pull the plug at any time. Typically that is made known upfront or a warning is given.

That's the irritating thing. They had actually been working with several third-party developers to build a modern improved API, and even had it open for testing before suddenly closing it a few weeks ago. Now they did this without warning. I mean, if that outreach hadn't happened and everyone was still stuck with scraping HTML and using the ancient "API", then it may be a bit more understandable. With the recent actions they have taken, it feels like malicious betrayal, even if it is not. Unfortunately, there seems to be a gag order, so that leaves conjecture to set the narrative, and that conjecture is very negative.

I feel you on this, I don't have an active app made but I am an avid indie developer and try to contribute and work on Open Source projects.
May 26, 2018 8:44 AM
Jun 2010
I have written to customer support. It is extremely inconvenient that MAL Updater is not working thanks to this.
May 26, 2018 9:50 AM

Oct 2014
great malgraph doesn't work too.
May 26, 2018 9:52 AM
May 2018
In times like this remember the MAL motto; "Break what's working and don't fix what's broken."
May 26, 2018 10:02 AM

Jun 2013
Definitely it is NOT intended to encourage users to use the crappy official version at all.
May 26, 2018 10:11 AM
Aug 2010
motoko said:
Steeljackrabbit said:

Keiggard said:

My guess is that this might be related to GDPR. I'm not a programmer, but I assume the API does checks on the account info provided or however it works? Bottomline is that the owners of MAL are basically sharing our account info and probably got caught offguard (even though all this has been announced several years ago). They don't have an instant solution at hand so the fastest solution for now to avoid a penalty of up to $20 million is to cut off acces to the API and have us do the password reset.

This is all guesswork, but seems believable this is all related.
May 26, 2018 10:50 AM

Jan 2009
drefann said:
My guess is that this might be related to GDPR. I'm not a programmer, but I assume the API does checks on the account info provided or however it works?
Even if that were true, they could have simply asked the Developers of Third Party Apps to create a Pop-up Message where the Users have to tick a Checkbox or something that they agree that in order to continue to use their Service, they'd need to grant the respective App Access to their Lists. Something the Users have already implicitly agreed upon using the Apps, but getting an explicit Agreement shouldn't be impossible to implement.
NoboruMay 26, 2018 10:54 AM
May 26, 2018 10:57 AM
MyAniList Maker

Dec 2012
drefann said:
motoko said:

My guess is that this might be related to GDPR. I'm not a programmer, but I assume the API does checks on the account info provided or however it works? Bottomline is that the owners of MAL are basically sharing our account info and probably got caught offguard (even though all this has been announced several years ago). They don't have an instant solution at hand so the fastest solution for now to avoid a penalty of up to $20 million is to cut off acces to the API and have us do the password reset.

This is all guesswork, but seems believable this is all related.

It might be, but I'm not entirely sure it is. Their API authentication layer was already pretty weak to begin with, and if you notice when you reset/recover your account, they actually send you a password to enter in (i.e. cleartext). Typically, passwords in databases are stored as a hashed/encrypted representation of what you type in so that malicious users can't steal account passwords and use them elsewhere. I imagine that because in the past, MAL had very weak password criteria, they started cracking down on people who had weak passwords. However, the way they've gone about it has been pretty amateur.

Their initial attempt was to try to "lock" people out of their accounts if they made incorrect attempts at entering their password by banning them. However, the ban was done at the IP address level, which is really easy to manipulate if you know what you're doing (i.e. change from WiFi to cellular, route through a VPN or proxy). Then, they tried enforcing multiple rules for passwords, but didn't force people to reset them like they are now. And now here we are, watching them try to get people to reset their passwords, but still sending "new" passwords in cleartext. It's really insecure, and I suspect that's the main issue they're dealing with.

Using their old API, you could easily do what I just mentioned to try and brute force yourself into a user's account. Their old API used simply username/password authentication, which is inherently insecure to begin with. The new API we (third-party devs) had been working on with them used a more modern approach to authentication.

Kind of sad seeing MAL not say anything or disclose their breach while leaving us in the trenches, dealing with upset people complaining that our apps don't work.
"Happiness comes in different forms. If you believe that you're happy, you'll be happy." - Haruhi Suzumiya, The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya
May 26, 2018 11:14 AM

Nov 2009
The lack of communication with the users is disturbing.
May 26, 2018 11:37 AM
Jul 2018
84DaysWithout said:
The lack of communication with the users is disturbing.

I probably going to request to be forgotten on this service, if they can't even communicate i don't want to know what happens when they leak my data.
May 26, 2018 1:16 PM

Sep 2009
It feels like the rest of the internet is moving on, year by year, and MAL's still stuck in it's own bubble back in 1999. or something.

R.I.P. Pocket Mal and all else. :/ Hope to use you again sometime.
May 26, 2018 6:37 PM

Jun 2013
I hope they fix it soon. I feel so helpless without my MAL App. Mostly I watch Anime at my phone or TV, and without working App it's hard for me to track my List ;_;
Sep 11, 2018 6:09 PM

Aug 2009
does taiga work yet?

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3403 by nanoeiai »»
6 hours ago

» Help with my mal supporter

shelbyditz - Yesterday

1 by pichipichiHiro »»
12 hours ago

» Profile veiws

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

2 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
Yesterday, 8:06 PM

» Continually getting notifications on app from anime I do not have favorited

EverySportsAnime - Yesterday

1 by machy871 »»
Yesterday, 2:14 PM

» How to mark/save interest stacks for later?

Tannenbusch - Yesterday

5 by Tannenbusch »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.