Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 27, 2018 1:16 AM

Jul 2013
I can't help but feel sorry for Big Mom despite everything. Even though raising a lion or a tiger is way safer than raising her still, she's a kid who've been abandoned twice. I think what happened was the people from the World Government came and tried to take all of the kids but they couldn't take Linlin because of her monstrous strength so they just gave up and settled for the other kids. And then Carmel just vanished, retiring on some private tropical island where she has built a castle with many servants, fast internet, all the lastest gadgets and she has someone who buys her food and copies of latest video games and anime. Or Big Mom ate all of them that could be too.
Aug 16, 2018 5:40 PM

May 2010
Okay, so apparently Caramel wasn’t THAT kind lol. I definitely wouldn’t have guessed she was selling these poor orphans though… And it doesn’t make any sense, why would she suddenly disappear like that, with all the other kids? Weeeeird.
Aug 31, 2018 11:34 AM

Dec 2014
well that was absurd that everyone just vanished.. I guess we are missing something… Hmmm still believe linlin should be dead or so…
Oct 23, 2018 7:44 AM

Jan 2013
Wait wait wait ... she ate everyone!?
Considering her comment about accidentally biting the table it wouldnt surprise me since she barely knows what she's doing when in that state.
Nov 4, 2018 11:00 AM

Dec 2016
It's interesting how Oda decided to take Mother Carmel's character this route considering that most old people who interact with a character in a flashback usually help them, then die protecting them, or die in some indirect way for involving themselves with them. But in case it was literally the exact opposite
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 13, 2020 12:55 PM
Jul 2018
This is certainly tragic and dark. I can see the clear picture now. The reason Big Mom loves tea parties is that they serve as a reminder of her best day ever, the reason she wants to turn humans to giants is to relieve here childhood days in Elbaf, the reason why she has such a rocky relationship with the giants in the first place is due to her unconscious crimes she committed against them, and that's why she holds Caramel in high regards to put her picture frame in every tea party she holds. Never realizing that the only reason she was able to gain her devil fruit powers was due to devouring Carmel and, in turn, obtaining her powers, which also explains how Prometheus fell to her possession. Such a sad turn of events for Big Mom. I honestly pity her.

As for Mother Carmel's surprise reveal, glad she got devoured.
removed-userJan 13, 2020 1:12 PM
Jul 21, 2020 1:12 PM

Jun 2016
I can suddenly relate with Corazon, I want to dedicate my life to Lin Lin. I wished I had the courage and compassion that Mother Carmel does because this world is hardly compatible with Lin Lin if not for the few amazing people like her. Seeing the situation that started her backstory occur all over again, the forced exile of Lin Lin, but this time with having Carmel do what I had wished her original parents chose to do, leave alongside her, Carmel won over so much respect from me. But then Oda did something more cruel than I could ever expect. My worst nightmare was Lin Lin killing Mother Carmel without knowing it, and while keeping this horrific notion intact, he wrote Carmel to stab us in the back. Despite the heroic actions of Carmel, there was no compassion behind them. This had been foreshadowed by giving a holy nun a constant cigarette as to show her dual nature, but because One Piece is so quirky with its characters, I hadn’t given it the narrative importance it deserved.

I have to wonder why Lin Lin has resonated with me more than any other childhood tragedy in One Piece and one reason is due to the type of sadness which has plagued her from the start of her story. A sadness which is accompanied by naive bliss, a ticking time bomb to disaster. From her first scene, waving goodbye to her parents while eating sweets, she had no realization that they would never be coming back until it slowly sank in. We see this dualism in her very character traits, she is empathetic, kind, compassionate, appreciative, yet she ends up killing bears and giants accidentally and mourning them immediately after without knowledge of the true harm inflicted by her actions. Hell, the orphanage of children amazingly appreciated her when I’ve seen kids be absolutely cruel to one another for tiny things like stutters, and this place of family and belonging, this one constant in her life, was insidious from the beginning. More naive and blissful happiness, ignorant that it will end in abandonment and suffering, perfectly depicted with the happiest moment of her life spiraling into the most traumatic. She is the epitome of someone born in a world which is hardly compatible with them, deserving none of the suffering they are forced to face.

What makes her existence all the more miserable is that one cannot blame Lin Lin for her actions, at this point she is naive and unaware of the harm she causes, nor can one blame those who despise her. She threatens people's lives, she kills ancient heroes, and she burns down beloved villages. That giant hero was crying tears of heartbreak and pain when Lin Lin had killed his best friend, I don’t blame anyone for exiling her, or for despising her actions. Her existence was going to be incredibly hard from the get go, its unfair, relying on the people around her to take the initiative to love and teach her despite how hard it is. And, whether she knew it or not due to the horrifying ending of this episode, she never got that.

In my last post I had expressed the power of this kind of explicit storytelling when it comes to villains. Like with Doflamingo, Mom’s family was made infinitely more powerful because of this decision. Now we can begin to understand why Mom’s family has become what it is. We can understand the importance of the tea party or the wedding cake, finally, we can understand why Carmel’s portrait was so crucial for her sanity. We can see much of the same innocence and childishness in Mom today as we see in Lin Lin all those years ago. She is trying to relive that final day of happiness and acceptance she had, the portrait of Carmel being destroyed probably represents her disappearing from Mom's life yet again. She, like Judge, is completely living in the past. We can even extrapolate why she is such a tyrannical leader. In her eyes, she has been abandoned by the only ones who cared about her and accepted her twice. In my mind, that teaches a child a lesson that unless she enforces her family to stay together, to not break off from her no matter what, they will leave her alone again. This continues the strong themes of belonging and familiar acceptance we have seen throughout this arc, it also forces me to see how Mom has coped with a desire for family in a different but similar way to Mr. Don Quixote Doflamingo, both forming harmful conceptions of what family is.

Yep, the Big Mom family has become fleshed out and therefore I adore every party involved in this wedding with my entire heart. Good stuff Oda, seriously. There are still questions of how Big Mom developed so that she would kill her family members willingly if they fail her while not in her hunger pangs, assuming that is true, as that seems counter intuitive to her abandonment issues. We saw with Doffy a disdain and hatred for betrayal, but utter forgiveness until that occurred which would feel more fitting. Regardless for Mom, we only have a brief glimpse into how she spiraled into how she is today and I’m eager to see all the coping mechanisms, nuances, and hypocrisies she carries with her.
Nov 24, 2020 8:17 AM
Aug 2016
I am sorry but Big Mom existence is a mistake. I believe Big Mom real parents try to educate her but perhaps due to young age plus monstrous strength and uncontrollable desire, she can't get anything. Even the giants can't handle her, who else can?
Aug 9, 2021 8:25 PM

Sep 2015
I guess Carmel can't retire after all, the sinister smile look on her face creeps me out. I didn't expect there to be connections to one of the characters that go as far back as the Marineford arc.

Hajrudin has a grudge against Big Mom, if he is shown in the flashback, they might come face to face seeing each other in the present, there has to be a reason why they showed him and why Oda added him in with her.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Aug 23, 2021 3:04 AM

Jun 2019
So... she ate them all? I didn't expect that at all. That was quite dark.
Sep 5, 2021 6:06 AM

Aug 2021
Holy fuck that was too dark
Nov 1, 2021 11:45 AM

May 2016
Mother Carmel's double life as a child trafficker that's been colluding with Cipher Pol for all those years was really disheartening. Her having the Soul Soul Fruit already foreshadowed the grim events that will follow but I didn't expect things to end this way...

You'd think that Carmel learned her lesson to never give Linlin Semla since her cravings ended up with her burning down a whole village and killing the oldest warrior in the world but no. Linlin happily devoured her friends and family and the worst part is that she had no idea about what she's done. I can only imagine how gory the whole ordeal was in everyone else's perspective.

Mar 14, 2022 6:12 AM

Jan 2014
if big mom acquire the devil fruit power, then it's the first case of transfering devil power through canibalism.
May 18, 2022 4:25 PM

Dec 2012
Well son of a gun. Carmel felt off ever since we first saw her portrait. Something about a sweet nun with a punchable face who can't stop smoking. I thought she was lying to herself to give little big mom the benefit of the doubt, but her real identity is truly nefarious.

This definitely puts Big Mom's character in a new perspective. Completely abandoned & deceived as a little (big) girl, all she had were delusions & fairy tales to cling onto. The birthday party said it all - the happiest day of her life was one spent in the solitude of her own childhood fantasies and followed her for a lifetime.
Jun 1, 2022 10:27 PM
Jul 2018
I think mother Carmel and the kids got devoured by linlin carmel wasn't a good person but it's too cruel I know that wasn't her intention but still after seeing big mom's backstory I think she's messed up and one of the craziest villains in one piece but
removed-userAug 13, 2022 5:07 AM
Jun 28, 2022 9:00 PM
Mar 2021
cannibalism huh, well thats... scary
Jul 30, 2022 10:00 PM

Jan 2021
Did she eat them ! It’s either that or they all ran away with mother it was surprising that the mother turned out to be a child trafficker but it’s whatever she didn’t really care about the kids all she cared about was the money
Aug 19, 2022 11:11 PM

Dec 2018
skipped again; i don't give a shit
this arc has been the worst thing to ever happen to me in my entire life
Nov 8, 2022 6:07 PM
Sep 2018
JESUS, this episode was dark!!! Probably one of One Piece's most in my sentiment. I never would have guessed that LinLin may have eaten them if not for others' more intuitive observations. I actually started crying for LinLin, and her origins are heartbreaking. She's such a fascinating case, and it's sad that even our real-life community has a hard time accepting her... Particularly disturbing how the giant hit the ground too, ow... Curious now about how Carmel grew up.
Dec 18, 2023 10:07 PM
Jun 2022
damn where they all go
Feb 27, 3:24 PM
Oct 2019
Man Jorul was right, she should kill Linlin right there.

I was suspicious before, i knew it mother Carmel was too good to be true.

Nahhh did she eat all the childrens and mother Carmel? bruhh
This is insane.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 219 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaito__Kid - Nov 17, 2009

60 by X1ma »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1011 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Feb 19, 2022

58 by Marcos-1 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 411 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Aug 2, 2009

79 by gannoncannon55 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 410 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hayato_kun - Jul 18, 2009

76 by gannoncannon55 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 409 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hayato_kun - Jul 11, 2009

71 by gannoncannon55 »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.