Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 21, 2008 8:31 PM

Mar 2005
NOTE: These rules are for the Spring Season 2008. This is only for reference while the Fall Season's rules are being finalized. There will be changes, but most of the rules will remain the same.

Make sure you read this first:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=738

Please read through carefully, as many things have changed.

Registration (MOST IMPORTANT)
This season's registration requires only one step: PM kei-clone with your team+bench in the following format:

anime1
anime2
anime3
anime4
anime5

bench1
bench2

kei-clone must receive your PM before March 30th, 11:59 PM EST for your team to qualify. If there is any problem with this deadline feel free to contact kei to discuss.

Rules (IMPORTANT)
The rules for the Fall 2007 season are now void shall be replaced by the following rules:

1) Each manager will choose five (5) active series and two (2) bench series of the Spring 2008 season, listed in the post below. NO movies/OVA's.
2) Sequels are banned from all teams. Spinoffs/remakes are fine (i.e. Gundam 00, Kanon 2006, Magical Girl Pretty Sammy)
3) The spring season starts on March 31st, 2008.
4) Points will only accumulate within the 14 or so weeks this event is in session. Later episodes and weeks will not count towards your score. Only the anime on the player's active list will score points, the bench anime will not score any points.
5) A player may swap up to four (4) anime in the entire season. Thus, if both anime in the bench are swapped for two active anime at the same time, that counts as two chances out of four. There is no limit to how often the player swaps, so he/she may swap consecutive weeks if desired.
6) Players are not required to be active for the duration of this event. Nor are they required to actually watch the anime in their team. They simply need to set a bracket at the beginning and let their anime rack up points, and swap benches when they feel it beneficial to their score.
7) In the event that at the end of the FAL season two or more players wind up with the same score, both their bench anime will be used as a tie breaker. The player with bench anime that score the most points in the entire season wins.
9) The winner of the Spring Season will be able to choose from the following list of prizes:

Lucky Star Figure Collection #2
Lunar Legend Tsukihime set
Eureka Figure
Cloud Figure
$10 gift certificate to rightstuf.com

These prizes will be shipped to the winner, who will need to provide his/her mailing address to receive it. If the winner is unwilling to provide a mailing address the prize will be awarded to the runner-up.

------------------------

Points Criteria (less important)
Every week:
  • +1 point for each user who has anime under "Currently Watching" or "Completed" that week on MAL
  • Double the anime's "Currently Watching" points for the week if only one player has it on his/her active team
  • +10 points for each blog post on AnimeNano posted in the previous two weeks (counted every two weeks)
  • +100 points if found on MAL Top #30 TV Series that week

Scored Only Once:
  • +1 point for every post in episode discussion topics
  • +500 points for each group that fansubs the anime in English (starting from 1st episode) Joint projects count only once. NEW: Fansub groups MUST have an IRC channel or a website to be counted.
  • -400 points if dropped by a fansub group unless due to license
  • +250 points for each group that fansubs the anime in English (starting after episode 1 of the anime)
  • -200 points if dropped by a fansub group that started in the middle
  • +3000 points if licensed in America during the season. If anime is licensed before season begins then points are awarded in first week. (Licenses shall be defined by AnimeSuki's License Database)
  • +500*(unweighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon Week 7
  • +1000*(unweighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of FAL season

--------------------
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
The FAL staff is currently still in the process of working on a feature which shall be revealed shortly before the season begins. This feature should spice things up this season. At the moment we're still working our butts off like Blizzard making sure this addition will keep the game balanced, so please be patient. :)

Update: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=18094
---------------------

This feature should not affect anyone's team, so there is no need to wait for this before figuring out your lineup. Everyone good luck and start sending in your teams. :)
kei-cloneSep 23, 2008 3:10 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 21, 2008 8:31 PM

Mar 2005
Eligible Anime for these Season Will Include:
Allison and Lillia
Kure-nai
The Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk
Amatsuki
Itazura na Kiss
Nabari no Ou
S.A - Special A-Class
Soul Eater
Vampire Knight
RD (Real Drive) Sennou Chousashitsuht
Crystal Blaze
Kaiba
Toshokan Sensou
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki
20 Mensou no Musume
Junjou Romantica
To Love Ru
Kanokon
Kamen no Maid Guy
Blassreiter
Wagaya no Oinari-sama
Neo Angelique Abyss
Monochrome Factor
Himitsu: Top Secret
Golgo 13
Chi's Sweet Home
Internet Ghost PIPOPA
Zettai Karen Children
Hakkentai Kennai Suki! Shimajirou

and here are some links for more information on these series:
Fansub Wiki
Memento's Spring Anime Preview
MAL Spring Anime Lineup Thread (may not be complete)

Also, if anyone has any updated anime information (series that I missed, series that are actually not airing this fall but are listed above, above anime are actually OVA, etc.) or if anyone has any questions, please post them here.
kei-cloneMar 22, 2008 11:00 AM
Mar 22, 2008 5:35 AM

Oct 2007
RD Sennou Chousashitsu

^ Thats the same thing

Help the poor Ninja! Click Billy vs Snakeman link today!
Mar 22, 2008 6:41 AM

Sep 2007
Hoshi no Umi no Amuri is OVA.
Mar 22, 2008 7:05 AM

Dec 2007
What if a fansub group was forced to drop a series because of a license, but then another mysterious underground sub group re-appears to take its place (ala "True Tears")
Mar 22, 2008 7:43 AM

May 2007
Code Geass R2 not included in the Spring '08 lineup?
Mar 22, 2008 7:50 AM

Apr 2007
vindemon64 said:

Rule number 2. No sequels in any teams.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Mar 22, 2008 8:57 AM

Mar 2007
tainteddonut said:
vindemon64 said:

I would just like to go on record to say that I like this rule. A LOT. :)

Kokujin-kun said:
What if a fansub group was forced to drop a series because of a license, but then another mysterious underground sub group re-appears to take its place (ala "True Tears")

This is a good question. Surely it doesn't make sense to give points for a group to sub a project, then drop it when it gets licensed, then give more points for the same group with a different name when they "pick it up" after the first episode.
You've come a long way, baby.
Mar 22, 2008 9:20 AM
Oct 2007
GAMBLING XD

It's actually pretty cool with the fansub staff
Mar 22, 2008 9:36 AM

Mar 2005
Nobleman said:
RD Sennou Chousashitsu

^ Thats the same thing
SamuraiTom said:
Hoshi no Umi no Amuri is OVA.

Thanks, these have been fixed :)
Kokujin-kun said:

Hopefully this mysterious underground subgroup won't have an irc channel or website.
Mar 22, 2008 9:41 AM

Mar 2007
kei-clone said:
Hopefully this mysterious underground subgroup won't have an irc channel or website.

Well, that is the case sometimes, but what about things like m.3.3.w "dropping" True Tears and then w.0.0.f. "picking it up"? They both have IRC channels, AFAIK.
You've come a long way, baby.
Mar 22, 2008 10:41 AM

Oct 2007
Darn it, Petite Eva is ova (according to ANN)

And i have it on my bench....
Could you swap Petite Eva for S.A - Special A-Class?

---EDIT---

Candy boy is ONA released way back in 22.11.2007 so you should cross that out too.
NoblemanMar 22, 2008 10:57 AM

Mar 22, 2008 10:44 AM

Oct 2007
I am assuming we can only chose from the list given to us by Kei-clone at her second post.
Is that right? Or are there still some that we dont know about?
Mar 22, 2008 10:49 AM

Oct 2007
Friendlysoul said:
I am assuming we can only chose from the list given to us by Kei-clone at her second post.

If you manage to find more tv series, then probably we could pick from them too.

Mar 22, 2008 10:59 AM

Mar 2005
Nobleman said:
Friendlysoul said:

If you manage to find more tv series, then probably we could pick from them too.

The ones listed are all the eligible ones I can find. If you guys find other anime you believe is qualified then ask here to have them listed.
Nobleman said:
Darn it, Petite Eva is ova (according to ANN)

And i have it on my bench....
Could you swap Petite Eva for S.A - Special A-Class?

---EDIT---

Candy boy is ONA released way back in 22.11.2007 so you should cross that out too.

goddam fansub wiki, they're only supposed to list series! also, Candy Boy does have a release in May it seems. however, May is too far into the spring season, so i'll be taking that off as well.
Mar 22, 2008 11:36 AM

Sep 2007
What about The Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk? Will you count Gonzo too?
Mar 22, 2008 1:10 PM

Mar 2005
in light of recent actions by anime companies I have modified the criterion for licenses
Mar 22, 2008 3:08 PM

Oct 2007
kei-clone said:
Nobleman said:

goddam fansub wiki, they're only supposed to list series! also, Candy Boy does have a release in May it seems. however, May is too far into the spring season, so i'll be taking that off as well.

Above that list (on Fansub Wiki) said:
The list is taken from Moonphase. Title translations can be wrong or differ from official ones. The table includes only TV series (first airing) or pre-DVD airings of OVAs (first episodes only). Please DO NOT add OVAs that are not airing on TV.

Either creators making Candy Boy tv spin-off or pre-DVD ova (sequel/spin-off of ONA) will be aired in may.

Mar 22, 2008 4:53 PM

Feb 2008
i guess, if alot of people compete there will be a whole bunch of similiar teams.
i'll send you my team tomorrow, now i have to get some good sleep.

i'm looking forward to it!
耳を塞いでも両手をすり抜ける真実に惑うよ。
Mar 22, 2008 5:14 PM
Sep 2007
how do we go about swapping characters on our benches

Mar 22, 2008 5:19 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
coros said:
how do we go about swapping characters on our benches

There will be a topic in which you can say that you'd like to switch anime entry abc with anime entry xyz. Your switch will be accepted as long as you make it in time for the end of the week on Sundays.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 22, 2008 8:07 PM

May 2007
tainteddonut said:
vindemon64 said:

Oh...I knew that! I was...er...just making sure to see if everyone else knew it. Hehe *Sweatdrops.*

And here I figured the rules would be the same as in the Fall. Better make sure I read up on it to see other differences.
Mar 23, 2008 11:58 AM

Jul 2006
Team sent it, and ready to relive my performance from the first FAL.

Mar 23, 2008 10:05 PM

Apr 2007
When is Shina Dark's release scheduled?
Mar 24, 2008 11:22 AM

Jul 2007
Sent in my team. I chose at complete random, so let's see if it's gonna work >_>
Mar 24, 2008 2:44 PM

Jul 2007
Team sent, and this should be fun considering I don't plan to watch any ongoing anime this spring :P
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Mar 26, 2008 2:46 PM

Oct 2007
Hmmm team sent... i'm quite slow so we'll see how this turns out...
Mar 29, 2008 2:41 AM

Nov 2007
Does Macross Frontier not count as a spring series?
Mar 29, 2008 2:43 AM

Jan 2007
Asako said:
Does Macross Frontier not count as a spring series?

we did not count that due to the fact that the first episode aired already.
Apr 8, 2008 8:46 AM

Oct 2007
It's still a spring show and the first episode was different from the preview ep. But it wouldn't count anyway because it's a sequel right?
Apr 8, 2008 9:08 AM

Mar 2007
No we considered it as a spin-off, but like Faust said, it started before FAL's season started, so it would've been unfair to let it enter.

Besides, if it did enter, you'd miss out on fansub points from subbers which started subbing before FAL started. ;)
Apr 8, 2008 9:48 AM

Oct 2007
Ahk fair enough I guess.
Apr 13, 2008 10:46 AM

Oct 2007
So, if i switch my bench with main, do i still get points for fansubbers?

Apr 13, 2008 10:57 AM

Mar 2005
whatever's in your main for the week fansubbers begin subbing an anime gets points
Apr 14, 2008 5:52 AM

Aug 2007
I think i had the rules all wrong,
my team for week 2 was worth 12543 points, but it seems the bench swaps are allready counting in the week they are posted, so i lost about 1000 points.
thats stupid, the bench swaps for the coming week should be done before the week starts.
thats what i thought, it would be a lot more interesting.

the fun of predicting what going to happen in a week is the best part,
without it, there is no challenge.

edit:
some extra information.
I had Allison & Lillia on my team in week 2 and they allready had two fansub groups picking it up, so i figured there would be no more fansubs for A&L in week 3,
so it would be better to switch them for Nabari no Ou, from which i was sure that they would have subs in week 3 and outscore Lillia in week 3. so i posted my switch because i was pretty sure Nabari's subs wouldnt come out in week 2 anymore.
i was taking some risk, because indeed there was a Nabari sub sunday evening, and there could be no other coming out in week 3. but that makes the game appealing. (i thought)

How it should be played: wait till sunday, see which subs are out and put the best scoring shows on the team. ---> boring game, winner is the one with the best starting team and keeps track a little.
pietelApr 14, 2008 6:07 AM
Apr 14, 2008 8:14 AM

Feb 2007
How it should be played: wait till sunday, see which subs are out and put the best scoring shows on the team. ---> boring game, winner is the one with the best starting team and keeps track a little.

not boring at all, you're limited to 4 swaps so you'll don't have the chance to swap every time a sub is out.
you can throw away all your swaps in the first weeks but if one of your active serie is licenced early you're screwed.

A little bit tactical thinking does something here. also consider how people will rate animes at the 9th and last week, if you can't swap from a bad rated serie you're also screwed.
we're playing here with some unpredictable senario's in wich you should find your way to make the most points out of it or just lay back and see how many point you get~

Donate to my awesomeness! | "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Apr 14, 2008 8:38 AM

Oct 2007
Talon said:
A little bit tactical thinking does something here. also consider how people will rate animes at the 9th and last week, if you can't swap from a bad rated serie you're also screwed.

Yep, Kanokon which is going to be a champ (5th group just picked it up) for most of this season is going to suck bad for those rated weeks.
Apr 14, 2008 8:48 AM

Feb 2007
Westlo said:
Talon said:

Yep, Kanokon which is going to be a champ (5th group just picked it up) for most of this season is going to suck bad for those rated weeks.

I didn't wanted to point that out but that's how it looks for now XD
but it's still to early to say that for Kanokon sucks at the rating. MAL ist full of those Ecchi people who see naked breasts and give it a 10 on default~

Donate to my awesomeness! | "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Apr 14, 2008 9:54 AM

Mar 2007
Talon said:
also consider how people will rate animes at the 9th and last week
I think you mean week 7 and week 14?

After week 9 you can start using your wildcard. ;)
Apr 14, 2008 10:19 AM

Feb 2007
Boursk said:
Talon said:
also consider how people will rate animes at the 9th and last week
I think you mean week 7 and week 14?

After week 9 you can start using your wildcard. ;)

yea, thanks for the correction.

Apr 14, 2008 11:14 AM

Aug 2007
Talon said:

we're playing here with some unpredictable senario's in wich you should find your way to make the most points out of it or just lay back and see how many point you get~

Yes i understand there is still some tactics left, but im still disappointed.
its far less unpredictable than i thought it was.
and my way to make the most points out of it just got a 1000 point kickback.
Apr 25, 2008 12:28 PM

Nov 2007
Is it too late to enter? It kind of snuck up on me... >.<
Apr 25, 2008 3:11 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lacrimosa said:
Is it too late to enter? It kind of snuck up on me... >.<

Yes it is, it's already running. But maybe you can join in the next season. :)

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Best Profile Design (April 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - May 3

5 by Bunnyama »»
May 8, 10:11 AM

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Winners

Nate - May 1

9 by Bunnyama »»
May 4, 6:59 AM

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (May 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - May 3

0 by KarenShirotori »»
May 3, 7:57 PM

» [CLOSED] Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Voting

Nate - Apr 22

23 by Nate »»
Apr 30, 12:42 PM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (April 2024) VOTING

KarenShirotori - Apr 21

23 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Apr 29, 11:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.