Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 3, 2018 3:04 AM

Feb 2018
I wasn't an anime fan unless I saw Monogatari. Fullmetal is also nice, but it is not like a regular anime - even if a person likes it it doesn't mean the person will like anime as a media type.
May 3, 2018 3:07 AM

Jul 2015
It really depends on the person. Not that I have friends who "don't like anime", they're neutral about it.

I got a lot of success with FLCL, and NGE works well on SF fans. I usually just suggest good 80's or 90's movies to people who aren't into it too much. Jin Roh, Ghibli stuff, Ninja Scroll, those things.
May 3, 2018 6:01 AM

Nov 2009
Attack on Titan is certainly a good choice. Other I think are Code Geass.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

May 3, 2018 6:07 AM

Sep 2013
I like to pick really famous and mainstream animes, like mirai nikki, re:zero, another, death note, shingeki no kyojin, because there is a reason they are famous/mainstream and that is because they can easily hook up most of the audience, I kinda use their effectiviness on this and honestly I've been pretty sucessfull with my attempts.
May 3, 2018 11:49 AM
May 2015
I'm not like a huge fan of animes, but just watch to keep it up with the New.
When I was in high school I would watch all day, but now it's changed.
The reason why is bc animes are dull, comparing with the animes a decade ago.
The same storyline, characters and the predictable endings.
I'm waiting for a change in the anime...
May 3, 2018 5:10 PM

Mar 2015
Black Lagoon came to my mind as soon as I read the title of this thread.
May 3, 2018 5:18 PM

Oct 2015
The real questions is what is someone, who doesn't like anime doing on website that is dedicated to anime and manga called myanimelist
May 4, 2018 1:53 AM
Jul 2018
Mob Psycho 100 has to be watched by EVERYONE
May 4, 2018 2:35 AM

Jul 2008
Among recent series, "One Punch Man" is one I can see people who aren't fans of the medium enjoying.

Back in the day, things like "Vampire Hunter D", "Akira", "Cowboy Bebop", the Cowboy Bebp movie, Berserk from 1997, "Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust", Kaiji, and Samurai Champloo were all fine choices.

Speaking of Bloodlust, Kawajiri's other movies like "Ninja Scroll" and "Highlander: Vengeance" would also qualify.

In terms of more sleeper picks, Golgo the Professional from 1983 is a damn good crime movie that simply happens to be anime.
May 4, 2018 2:52 AM

Jul 2015
@YoungVagabond Kawajiri works very well with John Carpenter's fans. I suspect the former is inspired by the later. Especially with the long and slow expositions.
May 4, 2018 2:53 AM
Oct 2017
Either "Your name" for a film, or Violet Evergarden for a series. both look visually stunning and both have good plots without too many "weird anime tropes"
May 4, 2018 3:09 AM

Jan 2017
I think casual girls can like Sword Art Online? That melodrama might be perfect for them
May 4, 2018 3:13 AM

Apr 2015
Sailor Moon, it is seen as a cartoon by majority.

But I guess they might enjoy Hunter X Hunter, it seems to be entertaining for everyone, not just anime fans, it has that vibe I guess.
May 4, 2018 9:44 AM
May 2017
PrettiBoiSlim said:
...I don’t think anime is for everybody...

You wrote it all.

A person who is not used to anime, never watched it and say he/she do not like anime is ignorant, there is nothing to do, let him/her be.

But if a person has an interest on anime and wants to watch and know it, I recommend any Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movie because it is a quality introduction to the anime.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 4, 2018 9:59 AM

Sep 2016
EcchiGodMamsterP said:
There's plenty of ppl on here who started anime as an ecchi fan

Preach it! Shout the gospel of ecchi from a mountain top, spreading it far & wide.

Back on topic:
"Series for people who don't like anime".. if you mean they haven't watched any anime yet (that they know of) and so aren't considered as "liking anime", then you're just asking for a gateway anime to get them interested. Search other gateway anime rec threads for ideas.

If they actually don't like anime, then it's unlikely you'll change their mind. It won't matter what you show them or finally convince them to try.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

May 4, 2018 10:06 AM

Apr 2017
short stuff like snk, mirai nikki, psycho pass and madoka magica.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

May 4, 2018 3:46 PM

Jul 2008
Clebardman said:
@YoungVagabond Kawajiri works very well with John Carpenter's fans. I suspect the former is inspired by the later. Especially with the long and slow expositions.

That's an interesting comparison. I can definitely see some similarities (and I like John Carpenter a lot, too), although Carpenter's films have more humor, while Kawajiri's work is more streamlined and action-heavy.
May 5, 2018 3:40 AM

Apr 2017
Berserk 1997
Gungrave
Samurai Champloo
Rainbow
Hellsing Ultimate
Parasyte
Cowboy Bebop

"I don't like anime" usually means "I don't like the typical mainstream Shounen that everybody watches".
May 5, 2018 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
Code Geass and FMAB are probably super safe choices.
May 5, 2018 8:05 AM

Oct 2011
I'd say stuff that hasn't a super-Japanese/foreign setting. So no High school drama and stuff like that. I find ecchi also not the right place to start, as some people might be weirded out by some common anime tropes used in shows like that.

Just like many ppl mentioned. Shows like SnK or FMA are a good place to start. I also like to recommend Cowboy Bebop or Wolf's Rain, especially because they have really great dubs.
May 5, 2018 1:38 PM
Jul 2018
I guess most people start up with something like one piece and naruto or Dragon Ball. Probably that's the best option for anyone who likes good fights.
May 6, 2018 5:50 AM

Nov 2017
Depends on who's asking me. I do remember getting my professor to watch Love Live Sunshine. There was also this time I told someone about Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, lol good times.

Anyway, my go to recommendation series is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood because it has a broader appeal than most anime, and I can see the quality of the story, music, animation, characters, and writing appealing to people who aren't necessarily fans of the medium. Also the English dub/voice acting is solid
May 6, 2018 10:13 AM

Jan 2017
IMO, Psycho Pass is also a good starter.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 34 minutes ago

9 by Otakupervert890 »»
14 seconds ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Yesterday

47 by NubFix »»
2 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

27 by Ratris_Decision »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

121 by Mishiia »»
17 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Apr 26

74 by TheFlyingSoda »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.