Forum Settings
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2018 2:08 PM

Sep 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
god i wish i was dead and didn't read this chapter.
hello depression!! i cannot believe we will not see antarc ever again i'm so upset!

if you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences
for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them
to hurt you a second time in your mind.

- Shannon L. Alder

Apr 25, 2018 3:27 PM
Aug 2014
I had hopes that we could see Lapis back and Phos recovering her head but I guess I dreamed too big...
Every chapter I end up asking "where will things go from here?!", I can barely stand the monthly wait without re-reading past chapters
Thank you Orange for exposing me to this manga with your anime adaptation
Apr 25, 2018 4:06 PM

Nov 2014
What a chapter! Guess Ghost won't come back anytime soon unless they find a new body.
Apr 25, 2018 5:44 PM
Mar 2017
CAINGORM NO!
I guess in the end Ghost and Lapis won't return. It's kind a sad to see Cairngorm probably will change later.

This chapter is depressing. Hello darkness, my old friend
Apr 25, 2018 6:03 PM

Jul 2015
Houseki is all I need for my monthly dose of depression. Man what a chapter.
Apr 25, 2018 9:59 PM
Apr 2018
I wonder what will happen to Cairngorm after this.. And it's sad that Antarctitie can't be revived.
Now to wait a whole month full of depression waiting for chapter 68 ;-;
Apr 25, 2018 10:57 PM

Aug 2014
MelSeraphy said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
god i wish i was dead and didn't read this chapter.
hello depression!! i cannot believe we will not see antarc ever again i'm so upset!

Me After reading : "Hello darkness my old Friend"

Aand hope is lost..
Apr 26, 2018 3:18 AM

Nov 2014
comedylover said:
I guess in the end Ghost and Lapis won't return.

Technically, Lapis CAN return since he's 5.5. That, however, requires his head to be taken off Phos. And with Phos's 3.5 hardness, it cannot be done without permanently disabling our protagonist.
Apr 26, 2018 10:23 AM
Oct 2016
Well, i guess all hope is lost. Atarcticite is gone forever and so is phos`s head.
Apr 26, 2018 7:07 PM
Mar 2017
VarunaBles said:
comedylover said:
I guess in the end Ghost and Lapis won't return.

Technically, Lapis CAN return since he's 5.5. That, however, requires his head to be taken off Phos. And with Phos's 3.5 hardness, it cannot be done without permanently disabling our protagonist.

Yeah, this is where the conflict arise.
Lapis CAN return, but Phos gotta decacipate itself first. I believe Cairngorm doesn't mind Lapis won't return. Cairngorm stated Phos could have the head after all. (I want my good Phos return tho)

The fact that Phos is based on 7 Buddha treasures doesn't help. Phos only lost one more material, which is ruby.
AND YOU KNOW WHO IS RUBY? PADPARADSCHA!
/crying
Apr 27, 2018 5:51 AM

Sep 2013
So they only can't save Antarcticite, Lapis (because Phos has her head), Phos head and Pink Fluorite. Lol this is fucking great. They can save 12 gems.
WieczornyApr 27, 2018 7:54 AM
Apr 27, 2018 8:09 AM

Sep 2011
Aww, Cairngorm fell all to pieces. No? Too soon? Sorry...

WieczornyKac said:
So they only can't save is Antarcticite, Lapis (because Phos has her head), Phos head and Pink Fluorite. Lol this is fucking great. They can save 12 gems.

More than that I suspect. The beginning of chapter 48 when Phos has the 2nd(I think 2nd anyways?) dream of Lapis, we're shown what appear to be the pieces of the gems that have been taken to the moon in a nice color spread, and there appear to be 32 as far as we can see. I've only been able to come up with who 13 or 14 16 or 17 of them are (they mention Pink Topaz at one point, and another instance just says "Topaz" without being clear whether these are the same gem or not), but based on what they say in this chapter, the only ones (besides Phos' head) that can't be restored due to the hardness 5+ limitation are Antarcticite, Flourite (I'm not aware of a reference to Pink Flourite, though it's entirely possible I missed it), and Sphalerite (who I don't believe has been mentioned before this chapter). EDIT: I did some digging, and a couple things came up: First off, I found there was a separate mention of Pink Flourite, but it's not certain whether Flourite and Pink Flourite are the same gem... Second, I was able to confirm that Topaz and Pink Topaz were confirmed to be separate gems. Finally, I found 2 more gems who were referenced as being taken to the moon, bringing the total count as of chapter 48 to either 16 or 17 (depending on the issue of the Flourites).

Of course, Lapis and Ghost Quartz are unusual situations, and I'm curious to see what happens with those... There are still a lot of unanswered and fascinating questions about how the physiology of the gems actually works... We know they can continue to function while missing significant portions of their body, but we've also seen Phos unable to function without a head and Lapis' head unable to function without a body, but if their memories are spread throughout their bodies, then why couldn't either of these situations be capable of functioning, albeit with significant physical and mental limitations? Why couldn't a headless gem, either Phos or a restored Lapis, be re-shaped to have a head, but just be smaller overall (especially in the case of restoring Lapis from dust)? Why is there no noticeable difference in Cairngorm's size after Ghost Quartz was chipped away, did they just have extra compatible material on-hand to fill in the gaps or was there really that little quartz on the outside? What would happen if they attempted to form the pieces of Ghost Quartz into a little child-sized gem? These are such fascinating lifeforms, screw the encyclopedia Phos was supposed to write about everything around them, I want an encyclopedia just about them that answers all these questions!
MistLiighApr 27, 2018 9:39 AM
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Apr 27, 2018 9:16 AM

Sep 2011
comedylover said:
The fact that Phos is based on 7 Buddha treasures doesn't help. Phos only lost one more material, which is ruby.
/crying

Well, padparadscha is actually a type of sapphire, but sapphires and rubies are both varieties of corundum, so with its color it may be similar enough? I am curious about these 7 Buddhist treasures though, but I'm not turning up any good sources with anything more than just a simple list... Do you know of any good sources with more detail on the subject, or even an alternate name I could be looking for?

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Apr 27, 2018 12:35 PM
Aug 2012
MistLiigh said:
Why couldn't a headless gem, either Phos or a restored Lapis, be re-shaped to have a head, but just be smaller overall (especially in the case of restoring Lapis from dust)? Why is there no noticeable difference in Cairngorm's size after Ghost Quartz was chipped away, did they just have extra compatible material on-hand to fill in the gaps or was there really that little quartz on the outside? What would happen if they attempted to form the pieces of Ghost Quartz into a little child-sized gem?

Seems like it doesn`t work that way. Gem`s parts are not equal. Phos was able to act without legs and arms, but not without the head. Also, nobody tried to build new head from materials from other parts, when he lost it.
Apr 27, 2018 1:59 PM
Jul 2016
So the long awaited answer is: yeah, kinda, but not the fan favourite. The explanation for that makes sense and I like it, how it adds a layer to the plot. Unfortunately the art is so low quality I can barely feel anything, and that goes for the entirety of the comic as well.

Tho, Caringorm's... inner conflict (?) looked amazingly scary. That's actually the one thing this comic does decently-composition.
Apr 27, 2018 2:53 PM

Sep 2011
Bode said:
MistLiigh said:
Why couldn't a headless gem, either Phos or a restored Lapis, be re-shaped to have a head, but just be smaller overall (especially in the case of restoring Lapis from dust)? Why is there no noticeable difference in Cairngorm's size after Ghost Quartz was chipped away, did they just have extra compatible material on-hand to fill in the gaps or was there really that little quartz on the outside? What would happen if they attempted to form the pieces of Ghost Quartz into a little child-sized gem?

Seems like it doesn`t work that way. Gem`s parts are not equal. Phos was able to act without legs and arms, but not without the head. Also, nobody tried to build new head from materials from other parts, when he lost it.

I noticed lol. My question is simply "why?" Have they tried it before and found it didn't work? Is there some explanation why? I want to get into those nitty gritty details about how their physiology works.

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Apr 27, 2018 5:51 PM
Mar 2017
MistLiigh said:
comedylover said:
/crying

Well, padparadscha is actually a type of sapphire, but sapphires and rubies are both varieties of corundum, so with its color it may be similar enough? I am curious about these 7 Buddhist treasures though, but I'm not turning up any good sources with anything more than just a simple list... Do you know of any good sources with more detail on the subject, or even an alternate name I could be looking for?

http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.com/en/index.php?title=Seven_Treasures

Here you go buddy.

Which reminds me, Antarc hardness increases as the temperature drop, right? Can they still save Antarc if they're lower the temperature? I guess it's kind of impossible.
Honestly,just let the snail race eat the dust then gather the crystal in their shell. :'v

I guess concussion also play role in restoring gem.
Apr 27, 2018 7:51 PM

Sep 2011
comedylover said:
MistLiigh said:

Here you go buddy.

Which reminds me, Antarc hardness increases as the temperature drop, right? Can they still save Antarc if they're lower the temperature? I guess it's kind of impossible.
Honestly,just let the snail race eat the dust then gather the crystal in their shell. :'v

Interesting thought, but scientifically that's not quite right. What's really changing as the temperature drops low enough and Antarc freezes into a solid is a change in density and atomic energy. Hardness is a separate property from these; lead, for example, is very dense, which you would expect to make it very hard, but this isn't the case: despite its density, lead's hardness is a paltry 1.5, it's softer than literally any of the gems in this series! Technically, any of the gems could go through the same melting and freezing process as Antarc (at least in theory; this assumes none of them have an auto-ignition point lower than their melting point, which would make them simply burst into flames... That seems doubtful for these types of materials though), but it would occur at significantly higher temperatures. Now, if we wanted to make a gem harder, we'd need to compress it under a combination of high heat and incredible pressure, similar to the natural processes that turn coal into diamonds deep within the Earth; unfortunately, it wouldn't really work for Antarc since he's already been turned to dust; you'd still have to gather the dust together so you'd actually have enough mass to meaningfully compress, which leaves us with the same problem...

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Apr 27, 2018 7:53 PM
Mar 2017
MistLiigh said:
comedylover said:

Here you go buddy.

Interesting thought, but scientifically that's not quite right. What's really changing as the temperature drops low enough and Antarc freezes into a solid is a change in density and atomic energy. Hardness is a separate property from these; lead, for example, is very dense, which you would expect to make it very hard, but this isn't the case: despite its density, lead's hardness is a paltry 1.5, it's softer than literally any of the gems in this series! Technically, any of the gems could go through the same melting and freezing process as Antarc (at least in theory; this assumes none of them have an auto-ignition point lower than their melting point, which would make them simply burst into flames... That seems doubtful for these types of materials though), but it would occur at significantly higher temperatures. Now, if we wanted to make a gem harder, we'd need to compress it under a combination of high heat and incredible pressure, similar to the natural processes that turn coal into diamonds deep within the Earth; unfortunately, it wouldn't really work for Antarc since he's already been turned to dust; you'd still have to gather the dust together so you'd actually have enough mass to meaningfully compress, which leaves us with the same problem...

I guess I have to say goodbye to Antarc forever.
But hey, I learn something new on MAL!
Apr 28, 2018 4:33 AM

Sep 2011
comedylover said:
I guess I have to say goodbye to Antarc forever.
But hey, I learn something new on MAL!

I'm happy to teach lol. I suppose though that if the problem is collecting it all without kicking it up into space, the simple solution would be to encase the moon in some sort of outer shell that would keep it from floating off... That might be a bit impractical though, but it's hard to be sure exactly how much the lunarians/tsukijin are capable of. And collecting and sorting the microscopic dust that the gems below 5 have been ground into as Aechmea describes certainly wouldn't be easy even if they could keep it confined to a certain distance from the planet, but maybe they could do it?

Still, given the direction of this series thusfar, it's probably best not to get our hopes up too high for a reunion with Antarc outside Phos' hallucinations...

"PLUS ULTRA!"
May 4, 2018 4:59 AM

Feb 2015
Tbh, I want to see somehow rude Cairngorm a lot more than the kind Cairngorm.

But anyway, I feel bad for them. Always locked inside a cage they cannot escape, not acknowledged by anyone (back when they were still inside), blamed for all mistakes including Lapis' kidnapping (it wasn't shown so we can't be sure if it was really their fault or not but from Ghosts and their discussion about it, it felt more like it's not something one-sided), not having own name and having to take care of someone they dislike and get annoyed by.
Tho, they prob like Phos, even if it's not as much as Ghost, because it was Phos who first came up with idea to give Cairngorm their own name and it was also Phos who wanted to retrieve their arm when it was stolen by lunarians.
HakaminahMay 4, 2018 10:58 AM
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
May 4, 2018 7:38 PM
Jan 2018
I'm a bit confused here and there but it was an ok chapter. WISH THERE WAS MORE
May 13, 2018 11:21 AM
Mar 2018
Having binged that anime then the manga I feel empty now and I need my fix
May 14, 2018 11:28 AM
May 2018
Who is Aechmea used to be when he live?
I mean he knew detail about Sensei. Like Sensei outer shell made of unalloyed artificial hexagonal diamond. And how he knew about Sensei liking Shiro?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 108 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kizumi91 - Yesterday

75 by shxtter »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 107 Discussion

Snovia - Mar 24

33 by Mugglus »»
Apr 22, 1:12 AM

» "Land of the Lustrous" (Houseki no Kuni) manga by Haruko Ichikawa will be COMPLETED NEXT MONTH

deg - Mar 19

30 by Atsunome »»
Apr 21, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

4 by CritiCold »»
Apr 2, 11:02 AM

» Theory of Phos being the tower of seven treasures

_YukiNoHana_ - Mar 27

4 by _YukiNoHana_ »»
Mar 29, 7:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.