Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 11, 2018 7:48 AM

Jan 2016
All the anime you have watched in the "base building" period (the time when you started to watch anime for the first time), indivually I think it has affection on how you welcome anime now (or later). Well, of course the are other factors but let's just talk about the anime itself.

The art, the sound, the memory, the emotion that you had (esp. the affiliation you had in real life) creates prejudices strongly. So in the "expand" period, the road you go tends to drive to that "base building" feel. And gradually form your style.

How do you guys think?
Mar 11, 2018 7:56 AM
Oct 2017
thats deep dude ive never really though about that about anime
Mar 11, 2018 7:57 AM

Sep 2015
Well yeah I guess. I mean before I started watching anime, I watched a lot of fantasy, action, superhero and comedy series and movies. And to everyone's surprise, I started out by watching anime series that had those genres in them. Hunter x Hunter, Naruto, Gintama, Slice of Life comedies.

Now after a bit over 3 years of watching anime, my tastes haven't really changed. I've expanded the things I like a lot but I think that all my favorite shows still are from those genres I started out with.
Mar 11, 2018 8:47 AM

Oct 2015
I mean, To Love-Ru more or less changed me as a person, of course it has a high sentimental value for me.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Mar 11, 2018 8:54 AM

Feb 2016
I've always loved avatar the last airbender since i was a kid and i told a person about it and he was like "you should try anime"

I didn't expect to find an anime that could top avatar, and i haven't found one.
Mar 11, 2018 10:43 AM

Jun 2017
mhhm , dunno , none of my first anime is in my top 5 appart from FMAB , my first 5 anime were:

Death Note - Psychological / Suspense / Mystery / Gore
FMAB - Adventure / Psychological / Action / Drama
Bleach - Action
Angel Beats - Slice of Life / Psychological / Mystery / Romance
One Piece - Adventure / Comedy / Action / Drama

My taste have changed a lot since watching Monogatari Series , I'm more a Slice of Life / Sci-Fi degenerated madafaka boy now and I watched Monogatari Series after 3 years so it doesn't count as one of my first anime.

Mar 11, 2018 10:46 AM

Feb 2010
Not really. I constantly re-assess my values, biases and prejudices and what I like and dislike. I don't just roll over and let them decide for me. Being self-aware in that regard has always been important to me so I don't end up like OP describes it, just going down a pre-determined road based on my taste and preferences from 10+ years ago, never changing, never questioning whether I should give something new a try.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 11, 2018 11:43 AM

Oct 2015
Asterohnefos said:
So in the "expand" period, the road you go tends to drive to that "base building" feel. And gradually form your style.

How do you guys think?

Hmmmm.
maybe if I had not been too old when I began to seriously watch anime, then mabye, don't really know.

But as it is - don't think your idea applies to me, or anyone getting into anime when so old that most preferences and dislikes are already built/there.

Eg. I dropped PLANETES with the first episode, since it triggered about half a dozen of my "pet peeves in SciFi", and not because it wasn't like One Piece/ Cowboy Bebop (my first "aware" anime).
BannoBunka_snorkMar 11, 2018 11:50 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Mar 11, 2018 11:48 AM

Dec 2015
THen I guess the Club'Do period (a french TV era) helped me to be able to follow many different types of stories and for manyt different audiences.

More seriously, since I am an 80s kid (born in 87 and watching TV in the 90s when the 80s movies were the main programmation), I love everything scifi and fantastic.
Mar 11, 2018 12:58 PM

May 2009
Let's see...

Drats, I wrote up a personal history of my anime watching at some point. But I lost it.

I started with the following non-educational TV series in my childhood: Power Rangers and related series (tokusatsu, hero team), Eagle Riders (hero team), Voltron (hero team, combining mecha, space sci-fi), Pokémon (shounen adventure), and (the Ruby-Spears) Mega Man (robots sci-fi). I was aware of other shows like DBZ, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Cardcaptors, Beyblade, and western animation (from comedy like Animaniacs to superhero action/drama like Robocop, X-Men, etc.), but didn't really get into them. However, I don't think that these have been that huge of an influence, with the possible exception of Pokémon, though arguably the fact that I watched relatively little comedy did influence my present-day preference for genres other than comedy, as well as not being too big on action by itself.

My experience with more "mature" anime watching started with Evangelion (psychological, dystopian sci-fi, drama), but even this wasn't a huge influence I think. It was probably the next thing I watched which had a much bigger influence -- Kiddy Grade (space sci-fi, drama). I fell in love with that show, and I know as a direct result of that series, I went on to watch Stratos 4, Rocket Girls, Sky Girls, and Stellvia of the Universe, and still enjoy these sorts of sci-fi shows, as well as shows with strong female leads. (I guess it's arguable that liking Voltron led me to this.)

Also a big influence on my anime tastes is probably my experiences with video games. I played a number of famous SNES JRPGs, as well as Pokémon, and have a definite taste for fantasy settings (e.g. swords-and-sorcery), as well as ones that combine elements of fantasy settings with modern-day settings. This has led me to a number of different anime series with this kind of setting, some of which are adaptations of videogames. (It also led me to getting into games like Nethack and D&D.) Similarly, this has given me a taste for adventure stories in general.

Along with playing videogames, I'm also a musician, the music of videogames and anime is something that is important to me. Oddly, I'm not quite as strongly interested in shows about musicians, or at least I haven't found one that really speaks to me well yet. Rather, I care about the soundtracks of shows, and the way they shape the viewing experience and moods of scenes and such. There isn't really a genre of "good soundtracks", but the music is something that can strongly influence how much I appreciate a show.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.

More topics from this board

» Do you generate your own Anime Wallpapers with AI?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

34 by shiro-seishun »»
56 seconds ago

» why the double standard?

Cielord - 49 minutes ago

5 by Ratris_Decision »»
13 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

29 by pludel2 »»
17 minutes ago

» What are the most iconic anime scenes

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

9 by ToG25thBaam »»
21 minutes ago

» What do you think about fetishes in anime?

Anjuro - 5 hours ago

30 by Anjuro »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.