Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2018 5:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good amount of action this episode. Nice. It seems the soundtrack improved too and we got to see more the character abilities in this show.

That is also one hell of a flying fortress. Yozuen's leadership traits are kinda impressive while Taikoubou also isn't afraid to show what he is capable of.
Mar 2, 2018 5:00 PM

Oct 2012
Half of me liked this one. I love the different shounen powers and the team-up is exciting. The other half totally forgot what they're fighting for. The flying spaceship island and mountain is kinda weird - I haven't settled on whether I think they're cool or lame.
Mar 2, 2018 11:57 PM

Oct 2008
Damn! an intense episode!
Youzen is the game changer this episode and next!
5/5.

Mar 3, 2018 12:06 AM

Dec 2013
I still am so lost on this series. Can someone please tell me wtf is going on? Should I just drop this and read the manga instead?

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Mar 3, 2018 1:21 AM
Oct 2012
Hyuse said:
I still am so lost on this series. Can someone please tell me wtf is going on? Should I just drop this and read the manga instead?

They just skipped from chapter 60ish to chapter 110ish so it´s understandable you are confused lol

I think from now on the adaptation should be good paced, I assume they wanted to speed through the material that lead to this arc..

You can go read the manga, they skipped one of my favorite arcs (And one of my favorite manga moments ever... heck.. not one of my favorite manga moments, one of my favorite moments from any medium), anyone that has read the manga knows what I´m talking about, it happens in the fight against Chou Koumei (A character that sadly seems to have been completely omitted :-/)

So, yeah If I were you I would either read the entire manga or just read from chapter 43 (Which is where this anime straight jumped to chapter 110ish).

Alternatively there was an anime adaptation in the 90s which was pretty good, and had good pacing, but it only covered around 5 volumes.. Which was covered in Hoshin Engi (2018) 5 first episodes.

So either

A) Go read the manga from the start OR from chapter 43.
B) If you want things explained slowlier in anime form go watch the 1999 adaptation, though be warned that won´t explain the void from chapters 43-110 since that never got adapted in the previous (nor in this) adaptation.
Mar 3, 2018 5:04 AM

Sep 2016
Excellent improvement. I can confidently say this is the turning point of the anime to finally get better in other people's eyes. The action scenes were amazing and the pacing has slowed down a bit. Can't expect the next episode to pale in comparison to this now. I can easily see this show getting better and better. HYPE!!!
Mar 3, 2018 7:15 AM

Dec 2015
@perroloco They zapped Zhao Gong-ming entirely? o_O Did they remove other mostly comedical elements like that young thief or the "vehicle-maniac" "mole", etc?
Mar 3, 2018 7:35 AM

Mar 2010
This episode deserves to be in a better anime.

They finally slowed down and pacing-wise this episode was okay-ish. It could be a very good one if they just spent more time before writing characters and events instead of rushing and skipping the fuck out of everything.

The fight of Youzen against this creature in the dimensional barrier is one of my favorite parts of the manga. I hope they don't fuck it up in the next episode, because aesthetically and soundtrack-wise, I enjoyed what they did here. But again, the lack of previous development killed the greatness of this for me. If I hadn't read the manga previously, it would feel a lot worse

And jesus fucking christ, Chou Koumei's sisters are in it but he's not and Venus is holding a flower vase written "Onii-sama", they totally skiped it.

wd_nintakunMar 3, 2018 7:38 AM
Mar 3, 2018 9:07 PM
Oct 2012
Rei366 said:
@perroloco They zapped Zhao Gong-ming entirely? o_O Did they remove other mostly comedical elements like that young thief or the "vehicle-maniac" "mole", etc?

I had to google who Zhao Gong-ming is lol, That's the original name to Chou Koumei, right?

He was totally skipped, heck.. they could have maybe like I dunno at least made a fake 'in the previous episode' section and shown how Taikoubou fought Chou Koumei (After all Hoshin Engi manga made a lot of meta references and stuff), but nope.. They just skipped it..

Weird because for some reason his sisters are shown, but not him.. And yeah the mole guy and the girl that wants to marry him where skipped too...

Weird again, because they decided to show Taikoubou's disciple (Which IIRC hasn't appeared since) but skipped other characters...
Mar 3, 2018 11:42 PM

Nov 2009
A mecha battle complete with energy beams and stuff out of nowhere? This series is so convoluted and generally bad that it's hilarious.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Mar 4, 2018 1:46 AM
Mar 2018
perroloco said:

Weird because for some reason his sisters are shown, but not him.. And yeah the mole guy and the girl that wants to marry him where skipped too...

Venus insists about West when she speaks and in that direction there is the Penglai Isle.
In the manga, after the battle, the 3 sisters find Jin-Ao black box which talks about Penglai.
I believe that why Zhao Gong-Ming sister are shown : to introduce the last stroy arc.

More they propably have super baobei Kin Kou Sen...Or it's Yuanshi Tianzun who got it after his victory over Gong-Ming ?
Apr 6, 2018 10:36 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Venus, Madonna and Queen, 3 beauties!!! kekeke

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

3 by Chaos-Zero »»
Jan 11, 10:47 PM

» How is this different from the 1999 series? Is it a remake?

Zen98 - Dec 19, 2022

0 by Zen98 »»
Dec 19, 2022 8:02 PM

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2018

86 by removed-user »»
Nov 5, 2020 4:44 AM

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18, 2018

8 by Konani »»
Apr 7, 2019 3:41 AM

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2018

14 by Konani »»
Apr 6, 2019 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.