Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 12, 2018 12:23 PM
Feb 2018
Can there please be an option to display names in English for the watch list?

I find it really hard to track certain anime with very different because the names are not in a language I can understand.

Thanks
Feb 12, 2018 12:46 PM

Sep 2015
It's already a mix. Some are added to the list with english title, others with japanese. You'll get used to it as you pick up words while watching.
Feb 26, 2018 3:34 AM

Jun 2011
Heldengeist said:
It's already a mix. Some are added to the list with english title, others with japanese. You'll get used to it as you pick up words while watching.

I really hate it when the title is in Chinese though. I mean, I get it, there are "anime" from China, but, when you know it by the name it goes by in Japan, and then it is in your list as the chinese name, you forget even what it was in the first place.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 1, 2018 3:38 PM

May 2010
also, not all have english names to even display, on my list i've added the english name of some to the tags section so i get a reminder instead of having to view the anime page.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7125-myanimelist-mal-tags-updater
ShaggyZEMar 1, 2018 3:46 PM
Mar 1, 2018 3:53 PM
Feb 2018
Would be even better if I could only display anime that is english dubbed...

Save me wasting time reading about Anime only to find I can't watch it in English.

Subtitles don't count for me, I only watch series with English voices.
Mar 1, 2018 4:05 PM

Jul 2017
ben7872091384 said:
Would be even better if I could only display anime that is english dubbed...

Save me wasting time reading about Anime only to find I can't watch it in English.

Subtitles don't count for me, I only watch series with English voices.

This will require some work, but if you want to limit your list to dubs, look at the anime under the Funimation licensor list (as well as other dub licensors) and add all the anime you want to watch from those lists. That way nearly every single anime you add will have an english dub.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/102/Funimation

Just add from there

Mar 2, 2018 8:23 PM
Mar 2014
ShaggyZE said:
also, not all have english names to even display, on my list i've added the english name of some to the tags section so i get a reminder instead of having to view the anime page.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7125-myanimelist-mal-tags-updater
MAL should have a feature like AniList where you can choose how titles are displayed. Thanks for the link!
Mar 17, 2018 11:58 PM

Jul 2007
Heldengeist said:

No, you really won't. There are any number of titles in my list, shows or movies that I've seen multiple times, where I have to click on each individual entry to have the slightest clue as to what the hell they are. (The massive glut of One Piece movies and specials are a particularly big offender.) It kind of defeats the purpose of having a list in the first place if I can't even read a decent chunk of it. What really gets me is that all of that information is already in the database: just about every title has an English entry on the show page, and in the majority of cases, those are the official English translations approved by the series' creators. So can it really be a herculean feat to have an option to read that part of the entry as the display text, instead of whatever happens to be the default title? Hell, I made a thread asking about this all the way back in 2007. It boggles my mind that such a fundamental quality-of-life improvement never went anywhere.

(Or I could just keep having to take several seconds of thought every time I want to know what the hell something called "Ookami to Koushinryou" actually is.)
Mar 18, 2018 7:33 AM

Apr 2014
would your suggestion of changing the language of the list be something only you can see or do others see your list with other language names too? because if someone with another language list asked for a recommendation, it would be more work for the people trying to provide a recommendation to sort out titles in a language they don't know. sure some can "list override" but not everyone does that. if someone asked me for a rec and their list was all in german (or korean for something more closer to home) then i wouldn't help them since i don't want to squint at tiny pictures to figure out what every entry is and click on every entry
Mar 18, 2018 10:20 AM

Jul 2007
RedPlaty said:
would your suggestion of changing the language of the list be something only you can see or do others see your list with other language names too? because if someone with another language list asked for a recommendation, it would be more work for the people trying to provide a recommendation to sort out titles in a language they don't know. sure some can "list override" but not everyone does that. if someone asked me for a rec and their list was all in german (or korean for something more closer to home) then i wouldn't help them since i don't want to squint at tiny pictures to figure out what every entry is and click on every entry

Personally, I think it'd make the most sense for you to see everyone's lists with the language you had selected. I mean the whole point of a list in the first place is to keep track of what you've watched yourself, and to see what someone else has watched, so displaying everything in the language of your choice works best from a communication standpoint. If I'm generally familiar with the English titles of series, then seeing a friend's list that way will help me understand exactly what they have there, and likewise if they know the default Japanese entries better, I'd rather they see my own list that way so they can understand it too.

Really my frustration with this is spurred on with titles like Satoshi Kon's lone TV series. Pretty much the entire English-speaking world knows that show by the name "Paranoia Agent"...it's literally written in English as such in the original Japanese logo for the series, and both my old beloved R1 Geneon DVDs and the current R2/R4 English releases title it as such. Yet when I look at my list, all I see is an entry for "Mousou Dairinin," which means absolutely nothing to me. And that's only one of hundreds of examples of series that have super-identifiable official English titles yet show up on MAL as something completely different. I shouldn't have to do a double-take at the title of one of my all-time favorite series on my own personal anime list, should I?
Mar 18, 2018 10:51 AM

Jun 2011
Top_Gun said:
RedPlaty said:

Personally, I think it'd make the most sense for you to see everyone's lists with the language you had selected. I mean the whole point of a list in the first place is to keep track of what you've watched yourself, and to see what someone else has watched, so displaying everything in the language of your choice works best from a communication standpoint. If I'm generally familiar with the English titles of series, then seeing a friend's list that way will help me understand exactly what they have there, and likewise if they know the default Japanese entries better, I'd rather they see my own list that way so they can understand it too.

Really my frustration with this is spurred on with titles like Satoshi Kon's lone TV series. Pretty much the entire English-speaking world knows that show by the name "Paranoia Agent"...it's literally written in English as such in the original Japanese logo for the series, and both my old beloved R1 Geneon DVDs and the current R2/R4 English releases title it as such. Yet when I look at my list, all I see is an entry for "Mousou Dairinin," which means absolutely nothing to me. And that's only one of hundreds of examples of series that have super-identifiable official English titles yet show up on MAL as something completely different. I shouldn't have to do a double-take at the title of one of my all-time favorite series on my own personal anime list, should I?

I swear, that is a title that trips me up so often. That and Ghibli movies.... lol.
Mar 18, 2018 2:03 PM

Jul 2007
Oh yeah, the Ghibli titles are brutal too. I have no idea what the vast majority of them are just from looking at the list entries.
Mar 18, 2018 2:26 PM

Sep 2015
Top_Gun said:
No, you really won't. There are any number of titles in my list, shows or movies that I've seen multiple times, where I have to click on each individual entry to have the slightest clue as to what the hell they are.)
I don't think it's necessarily because of that. I can't recall by title everything I've seen - not just anime - either and it's not language related. I've seen some thing just far too long ago, I've seen too many similar things or it didn't give me a deep impression to begin with.
Mar 18, 2018 2:38 PM

Jul 2007
Heldengeist said:
I don't think it's necessarily because of that. I can't recall by title everything I've seen - not just anime - either and it's not language related. I've seen some thing just far too long ago, I've seen too many similar things or it didn't give me a deep impression to begin with.

No, in this case it definitely comes down to language for me. If I see an English title of something I've watched before, I'll at least have a vague idea of what it was about or how I felt about it, even if it's been long enough that I've forgotten many of the details. But seeing a bunch of random words in a language I don't speak and don't have any plans to? That does nothing.
Mar 18, 2018 10:20 PM

Jun 2011
Top_Gun said:
Oh yeah, the Ghibli titles are brutal too. I have no idea what the vast majority of them are just from looking at the list entries.

"Majo no Takkyuubin"
"Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi"

I really hate the senseless change of Captain Harlock to "Captain Herlock". lol The original series has always been known as Harlock. The one known as Herlock is an OVA released by Geneon (in the days you could have accidentally bought the same thing twice in 2003). And in Japanese his name is said "Ha-ro-ku" It says that right on the cover. Why change it to Herlock? It is the weirdest case of going with an english OVA title because... they put it on the original series and it is just not correct at all.
Energetic-NovaMar 18, 2018 10:25 PM
Mar 19, 2018 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
ben7872091384 said:

I find it really hard to track certain anime with very different because the names are not in a language I can understand.

Thanks

Not all anime will even have a proper English translation. Furthermore, if you can't recognize an anime from the Japanese title you clearly aren't an elite yet... Jokes aside, there's really no need for this as the vast majority can recognize and anime from the Japanese name or at least the image cover. The search function already allows you to search an anime or manga with its English name, shouldn't that be enough?
Mar 19, 2018 3:33 PM
Feb 2018
changelog_ said:

Not all anime will even have a proper English translation.

That's extremely easy to work around eg:

If Anime has english release, then display english name.
else
Display Japanese name.
done

There needs to be an entry in the database as to if an Anime has an english release or not and the name of the official english release.

Then the above logic can be applied.
Mar 19, 2018 6:53 PM

Jul 2007
changelog_ said:

Not all anime will even have a proper English translation. Furthermore, if you can't recognize an anime from the Japanese title you clearly aren't an elite yet... Jokes aside, there's really no need for this as the vast majority can recognize and anime from the Japanese name or at least the image cover. The search function already allows you to search an anime or manga with its English name, shouldn't that be enough?

Even if there isn't an official English translation, many other popular shows tend to have widely-accepted English fan translations that could be entered in the field. Regardless, as ben said, if a series doesn't have an English title entered, the list can default to the Japanese title. "If A is present, then display A, else display B" isn't a super-complicated usage case. And yes, I can search for titles by that English names, but again, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a list. (The thumbnails don't apply, since I use the old-school text-only list style to save space.) I use MAL to chronicle the series and movies I've seen and want to see, but right now, that's half-defeated by the fact that I can't even look down my list and tell what a good third of the titles are. And that just sucks.

(And I'd love to see the "vast majority" who would recognize those two Ghibli titles over "Spirited Away" and "Kiki's Delivery Service." Especially given that the former received vast publicity in the English-speaking world by, y'know, winning an Academy Award.)
May 27, 2020 7:27 PM

May 2020
ben7872091384 said:

Thanks

I would LOVE for the english names to show up alongside the Japanese names in the ANIME LIST.
The site is already great with finding the animes, this is a suggestion that would make it better and I'm not alone in that!
Aug 24, 2020 3:09 AM
Jul 2014
Yeah, what annoys me personally is how there are a lot of titles which *used to* have their English names, which now have their Japanese names, which is great if both names are used interchangably, i.e. Kara No Kyoukai. Meanwhile, who the eff has ever referred to Ghost in the Shell as anything other than Ghost in the Shell? A lot of the time I see a Japanese name I don't remember and go like "Huh?" Especially if it's an anime I watched like, once and forgot about and just added to my list for the sake of completeness.

There's being thorough, and then there's being annoying.
Sep 5, 2020 2:09 AM

Jan 2013
I've been wanting this option for years, it would make things a lot easier.. example:

Enen no Shouboutai: Ni no Shou

Alternative Titles

English: Fire Force Season 2

Synonyms: Enen no Shouboutai 2nd Season

Japanese: 炎炎ノ消防隊 弐ノ章
Sep 5, 2020 3:36 AM
Sep 2020
I think the japenese is fine enough bc some anime titles cannot be literally translated into english...
Soon enough you will learn some japanese words and it will appear normal to you so dont worry and learn more about your favorite anime:D
Sep 5, 2020 4:05 AM

Jan 2013
kobayashiii said:
I think the japenese is fine enough bc some anime titles cannot be literally translated into english...
Soon enough you will learn some japanese words and it will appear normal to you so dont worry and learn more about your favorite anime:D

I watch dubbed anime so how will it appear normal to me?..
Sep 5, 2020 11:34 AM
Sep 2020
I don't think watching watch dubbed will change a thing, is it ?
Sep 19, 2020 2:46 AM
Jul 2014
kobayashiii said:
Except a lot of them can and are, yet we have to play a guessing game when we see a name which was in English changed into Japanese and we've never heard the Japanese name before?
Sep 22, 2020 7:09 PM

Dec 2019
Karlsburg said:
ben7872091384 said:

Thanks

I would LOVE for the english names to show up alongside the Japanese names in the ANIME LIST.
The site is already great with finding the animes, this is a suggestion that would make it better and I'm not alone in that!

This might help you and others
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1863367#msg60744848
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Jun 15, 2022 3:49 PM

Dec 2019
removed-user said:
ben7872091384 said:

Thanks

9anime uses english names, being able to easily identify an anime by the english name makes sense. Many anime already have this name listed under the corresponding MAL page. There should be an option to just display using that name instead (IF THE ENGLISH NAME IS AVAILABLE)
Jun 16, 2022 12:31 PM

Dec 2019
Cladocera said:
thirty-thirty said:
9anime uses english names, being able to easily identify an anime by the english name makes sense. Many anime already have this name listed under the corresponding MAL page. There should be an option to just display using that name instead (IF THE ENGLISH NAME IS AVAILABLE)
It is already a thing though.

For a second I was so excited by your reply, but on the homepage, for example showing all the spring anime like Rising of the Shield Hero 2, it still doesn't show the english titles even with the english selected. Thank you for showing me that though. Appreciate it!

More topics from this board

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

8 by Dr_Stoned »»
7 hours ago

» Correction Slice of life definition

aule10 - May 12

3 by fluffycow17 »»
Yesterday, 8:50 AM

» Add Volume tab for Manga, like the Episode tab for Anime

Readerio - May 11

0 by Readerio »»
May 11, 2:35 PM

» re-watched titles

macmetric - May 10

1 by hacker09 »»
May 10, 8:15 PM

» Are there any plans to revamp mal on mobile?

Akuya - May 10

2 by Alexioos95 »»
May 10, 9:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.