Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 24, 2018 3:36 AM

Jan 2018
Preferably recent and only 1-2 seasons long.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 24, 2018 3:45 AM

Dec 2016
Eh.

Youjo Senki is one I guess I could recommend. Also the Fate series, especially Unlimited Blade Works. If you need a watch order for Fate, reply to me.
Jan 24, 2018 3:48 AM

Mar 2015
+1 for Fate

Black Lagoon & Kill la Kill as well.
Jan 24, 2018 3:48 AM

Jan 2018
Shion said:
Eh.

Youjo Senki is one I guess I could recommend. Also the Fate series, especially Unlimited Blade Works. If you need a watch order for Fate, reply to me.

Haven't heard about the Fate series before, but I'm willing to give it a try :)

What should I start with?

Mirai said:
+1 for Fate

Thanks but I think I'll decline both Black Lagoon and Kill la Kill. From what I know of both I'm not happy with how the female characters are sexualised in them. Sorry.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
NexuJan 24, 2018 6:22 AM
Jan 24, 2018 3:51 AM

Aug 2015
Well any mahou shoujo anime will suit
Jan 24, 2018 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
Attack on titan has been noted by many for its good female chatacters
removed-userJan 24, 2018 10:59 AM
Jan 24, 2018 3:53 AM

Dec 2016
CSKaori said:
Shion said:
Eh.

It's DAMN good. First couple episodes (2-3 episodes) are REEEAAAALYYYY slow, but it picks up fast. Here's the optimum watch order imo:

Fate/Zero → Fate/Zero 2nd Season → Fate/Stay Night (optional, kinda bad) → Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works → Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season → any other Fate stuff of your choice (Apocrypha, Kaleid, Extra)

It looks daunting, but it's just a bunch of 12-13 episode series. And you don't need to watch Fate/Stay Night (2006)
ShionJan 24, 2018 3:56 AM
Jan 24, 2018 3:56 AM

Jan 2013
You mean strong as in physically? Basically any battle harem like Omamori Himari, High School DXD, Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, Date A Live should do it.
If you want something more serious and not harem/ecchi, you haven't seen Fate/Zero or any Fate series. It's got Saber who's pretty much the strongest character and she uses a sword.
Elfen Lied isn't recent but it does have lots of OP girls just slaughtering people with lots of blood and gore.

Lastly, I'll recommend Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. It has a female lead who's a master assassin and pretty good at killing without super powers and just overall being badass. It might be something that would interest you.
Jan 24, 2018 3:58 AM

May 2015
Juuni Kokuki and Seriei no Moribito
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2018 3:59 AM

Oct 2014
The most recent one that I know of is Houseki no Kuni, with Phos being a powerhouse of a mc.

But, if we were to call the strongest of all time, my pics would be:

Erin from Beast Player Erin
Anne Shirley from Akage no Anne
All of the characters from Ojamajo Doremi
Jan 24, 2018 4:13 AM

Jan 2018

Prison School is a fairly recent anime that came out, and so far one season long. It's about a group of boys who join this all female school. They try to peep on the girls in the bath house, and are ultimately locked up in a prison inside the school where all the girls are in charge. The females in this anime are pretty strong and hot-tempered. Though some are sexualized in a few scenes. And the main focus are the boys in this series. You might not be into that. But I'd urge you to give at least the first episode a go, because it's a highly comedic anime with a lot of unique facial expressions.

The guy with long hair, Takehito Morokuzu ("Yours Truly") is my favorite for his dramatic personality. And he is a bit weird, but I find him a bit attractive because he has gorgeous long hair~ <3
Jan 24, 2018 4:17 AM

Jan 2018
PastelDays said:

Prison School is a fairly recent anime that came out, and so far one season long. It's about a group of boys who join this all female school. They try to peep on the girls in the bath house, and are ultimately locked up in a prison inside the school where all the girls are in charge. The females in this anime are pretty strong and hot-tempered. Though some are sexualized in a few scenes. And the main focus are the boys in this series. You might not be into that. But I'd urge you to give at least the first episode a go, because it's a highly comedic anime with a lot of unique facial expressions.

The guy with long hair, Takehito Morokuzu ("Yours Truly") is my favorite for his dramatic personality. And he is a bit weird, but I find him a bit attractive because he has gorgeous long hair~ <3

That looks disgusting and filled to the brim with fanservice. I am not watching this!
Jan 24, 2018 4:22 AM

May 2016
@CSKaori hahaha, u r right. There is fanservice iirc. And prison school is just so freaking weird that it might be disgusting for some.
Jan 24, 2018 4:24 AM

Jan 2018
CSKaori said:
That looks disgusting and filled to the brim with fanservice. I am not watching this!

Okay, sorry! Wasn't too sure if it was okay or not from your main post. Details might help.
It does have some fanservice. Though I personally watched for the comedic appeal.
Hope you have better luck finding the series you're looking for. (:
Jan 24, 2018 4:25 AM

May 2016
PastelDays said:

Did you read the Manga? I wanna know whether u still like it the way it ended.
Jan 24, 2018 4:25 AM

Dec 2016
Almost forgot about Re:Creators. Probably because it was mediocre af. But that one had strong female characters.
Jan 24, 2018 4:26 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know if you mean strong personality or strong in powers. Either way here are some recommendations:

- Ben-To
- Chrno Crusade
- Bakemonogatari
- Claymore
- Kara no Kyoukai: Mirai Fukuin
Jan 24, 2018 4:31 AM

Jan 2018
pgmhecateii said:
Akame ga Kill is a good one. In fact, all its female characters are strong :3

IKR!? It's really amazing overall and I love it!
Jan 24, 2018 4:33 AM

Jan 2018
RyoKei-san said:
Did you read the Manga? I wanna know whether u still like it the way it ended.

No I haven't, sadly. With most series I watch the anime. And I'm usually too busy for manga. But this is one anime I'm particularly fond of, so I may read the manga soon. I'm guessing the way this series ended in the manga is different from the anime or something? We can take this discussion to my profile. Don't spoil it for me though. (:
Jan 24, 2018 4:38 AM

Oct 2013
its 3 seasons but still fits
https://myanimelist.net/anime/355/Shakugan_no_Shana

has plenty of strong female characters
Jan 24, 2018 4:39 AM

Jul 2017
A lot of shounen consists of strong female characters but since you said around 1-2 seasons, I'd recommend:

- Fate Series
(Tons of strong female characters! Saber always gets the spotlight~ Also, try out Fate/stay night 2006 and see if you liked it. Yeah, a lot of people don't really like it which is understandable but I enjoyed it despite of its flaws~ (I gave it a 8/10 but I'm too lazy to update my list...))

- SukaSuka *Title really long...*
(Tons of strong female characters as well! Their names can be hard to pronounce though...)

- Kyoukai no Kanata + Movie I'll Be Here

- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (2 Seasons + Movie(you might won't enjoy the movie though))

- Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
(There's a bit of fanservice in here. I don't like fanservice too but I really like the anime despite of it~)

- Sword Art Online

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Jan 24, 2018 4:39 AM

Aug 2010
Revolutionary Girl Utena
The Book of Bantorra
Gilgamesh
Kara no Kyokai movies

Le Chevalier D'Eon
Jan 24, 2018 4:46 AM

Feb 2016
Michiko to Hatchin
Black Lagoon
Ghost in the Shell
Jan 24, 2018 4:51 AM

Mar 2017
Yona of the Dawn.

Female lead starts as weak but gradually becomes stronger. (Not physically, but mentally and emotionally)
Jan 24, 2018 4:53 AM

Jan 2018
Kenny_Stryker said:
Yona of the Dawn.

Female lead starts as weak but gradually becomes stronger. (Not physically, but mentally and emotionally)

That sounds great and I'll probably love it :D
Jan 24, 2018 4:55 AM

Apr 2015
What strong is it anyways? Strong in terms of powerlevel or mentally?

Let's just say you meant for both, so watch Kara no Kyoukai movie series.
Jan 24, 2018 5:01 AM

Apr 2017
Surprised no one has mentioned Spice & Wolf
Jan 24, 2018 5:05 AM

Sep 2014
I would strongly recommend to look past the skimpy outfit and give Kill la Kill at least a few episodes. Yeah, what they wear is definitely of the sexy kind but it does not take away from the characters at all, both female leads are great, strong characters. The nudity is in fact the means to present its themes, not there just to be sexy (in fact the way it's drawn is far from being the way it is in ecchi).
But well, if you're so strongly against any kind of sexualization then it's a shame ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seirei no Moribito has a strong female lead, both mentally and physically, an experienced warrior.
Juuni no Kokuki has an average high schooler with her own share of problems that slowly grows into a strong person and a good ruler.
Akatsuki no Yona's main character is similar, the show is kind of a reverse harem but the lead is not harmed by that and she's more than stupid girl most shoujo main characters are. You will definitely like it.
Ghost in the Shell's Major is also a great, strong woman who won't take bullshit from anyone, although I'm not sure whether it's a kind of show you would like, based on your list.
Ergo Proxy's main character is a cool as hell, great girl and she's far from being weak too, but once again, I'm not sure whether it's a show you would like.
KnK and Fate mentioned here work too.
Jan 24, 2018 5:22 AM

Jun 2009
How "recent" does it have to be? Last year? Last decade?

From last year:

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Tooru, Kana, Elma, Quetzalcoatl (pretty much all the female dragons)
Little Witch Academia: all the main characters are powerful witches
Attack on Titan Season 2 (you gotta watch season 1 first): Mikasa, Sasha, Hange, Annie, Ymir
Made in Abyss: Ouzen, Lyza, Riko
Kino's Journey (2017): Kino
Re:Creators: Altair, Selesia, Mamika Kirameki, Alicetaria, Magane Chikujouin
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul: Nina Drango (it will surprise you what she really is)
You can watch the first season: Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis where on of the main characters, Amira is very strong as well
Princess Principal: all the main female characters
Mahoutsukai no Yome: Chise has a lot of magical ability
Granblue Fantasy The Animation: Katalina is a female knight
Juuni Taisen: Sharyuu, Tora, Inounoshishi

2017 was a good year for strong female characters.

Last 10 years:

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail: Roberta, Balalaika, Revy, Fabiola, Eda, Shenhua (you gotta watch the first 2 seasons first, they have a total of only 24 episodes, so it's no big deal)
Black Lagoon has the most badass female characters, so you should definitely check it out.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Riza, Olivier Mira Armstrong, Lust, May Chang, Izumi Curtis
Gintama and it sequels, this one is quite a long one but has the best female characters in shounen: Kagura, Tsukuyo, Nobume, Kyuubei
Watch it when you have more time
Kara no Kyoukai movie series: Shiki Ryougi and Aozaki Touko
Fate/Zero Season 1 & 2: Saber and Irisviel
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Season 1 & 2: Saber, Rin, Rider, Caster
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun & Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S : Misaka, Kuroko, Kiyama Harumi, Mugino, Frenda, Shokuhou Misaki
Izetta: The Last Witch: Izetta, Ortfiné Fredericka
Claymore: Clare, Teresa, Ophelia, Irene etc. basically most of the cast are very strong female warriors
Seirei no Moribito: Balsa Yonsa
Michiko to Hatchin: Michiko
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica: Homura, Madoka, Kyouko, Sayaka, Mami
Jormungand & Jormungand: Perfect Order: Koko Hekmatyar, Valmet, Chinatsu, Chiquita etc
Bakemonogatari: Hanekawa Tsubasa, Oshino Shinobu and Kanbaru Suruga
Baccano!: Chane Laforet, Nice Holystone and Ennis
Durarara!!: Celty Sturluson and Sonohara Anri
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (from 2016) : Mumei
Canaan: Canaan and Alphard
Persona 4 the Animation: Shirogane Naoto and Satonaka Chie
Akatsuki no Yona: Yona
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic & Magi: The Kingdom of Magic: Morgiana, Hakuei Ren and Kougyoku Ren
Nanatsu no Taizai: Diane and Guila

Also the female characters in Akame ga Kill. But you said earlier you're already watching it.

There are others of course but these are my favorite. Hope it helps ^^
Jan 24, 2018 5:24 AM

Jul 2015
CSKaori said:
Mirai said:
+1 for Fate

Thanks but I think I'll decline both Black Lagoon and Kill la Kill. From what I know of both I'm not happy with how the female characters are sexualised in them. Sorry.

You'd be flat-out wrong about Kill la Kill. It has just as much male nudity and is mostly about overthrowing patriarchy and phallic towers.
Jan 24, 2018 5:31 AM

May 2012
Canaan
claymore
Cross ange
Attack on titan
Kill la Kill
Akame ga Kill
Akatsuki no Yona (the female is not too strong, but this anime is very good)

New one from 2017 and 2018

Princess Principal
Beatless
Killing Bites
Toji no Miko
Youjo Senki

CSKaori said:

Almost 95% of anime have "sexualised" females. YOu might as well jsut stop watching anime. Kill la Kill might have little more sexialised women, but black lagoon is not too much

Claymore is one of the few anime were females don't dress short skirts.
thepathJan 24, 2018 5:39 AM
Jan 24, 2018 5:31 AM
Apr 2016
Go watch mahoutsekai no yome, its still airing. Chise was chosen as best female character last year.
Jan 24, 2018 5:33 AM

Jan 2008
I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying. It takes resolve to put up with such a casual shitter.
Jan 24, 2018 5:43 AM

Aug 2015
CSKaori said:
Kenny_Stryker said:
Yona of the Dawn.

That sounds great and I'll probably love it :D
+1 for this. In fact, physically she is also quiet strong as in one of the episode she actually
(Well, literally but not really..)

And SAO fits very well too.. And it has romance.. Though it's not really my cup of tea..
Also +1 for attack on titan if you're not looking for romance and just want to see most of the female is strong and even badass.

The recent one I watch within that category is Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. It shared the same universe as Toaru Majutsu no Index since Railgun is only a side story. But the female MC is strong and to be honest very likeable for me.

And other than that.. There's Arcana Famiglia. Since it's otome-game adapted, the plot is pretty bad, but the female MC (iirc) is pretty strong..(?)

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jan 24, 2018 5:43 AM

Dec 2016
the only one I know that has not been mentioned is Flip Flappers, although I did not like the last episode, all the others are quite exciting, all the time.

It have emotionally strong characters, intellectually strong characters and all character's are physically strong
heh.
Jan 24, 2018 5:45 AM

Jun 2009
thepath said:

Claymore is one of the few anime were females don't dress short skirts.

You haven't seen much anime it seems. Yes, highschool anime usually have girls with short skirts (but some have medium and long skirts as well) but non highschool anime, especially josei anime present women realistically. Most of the women I mentioned above as strong female characters aren't sexualised or even if they are, they're more important to the story than just as fanservice eye-candy.
Jan 24, 2018 5:48 AM

Jul 2016
psycho pass could somehow work, depending on what kind of "strong female character" you're looking for.

edit:
beelzebub has also a few strong female characters, with about 60+ eps which would convert to about 3 seasons

edit 2:
youjo senki technically has a female MC but yeah it works, somehow...
also, zetsuen no tempest has a few
GATE has several, along with the fanservice ~_~
leezodneJan 24, 2018 6:15 AM

"If beautiful women don’t celebrate their beauty, the entire human race loses out. Don’t you agree?”—Sonya

ƒ ♥♥
Jan 24, 2018 6:07 AM

Jun 2009
CSKaori said:
Mirai said:
+1 for Fate

I think you should seriously reconsider Black Lagoon. You're missing out on the most badass female characters. And there's not even that much "fanservice", just that the main character, Revy, wears short shorts most of the time. It makes sense. The story takes place somewhere near Thailand, a hot, humid tropical region.

This scene from Black Lagoon is one of the best scenes in anime for me:

Also Balalaika is best leader ever. She exudes authority and power:

Balalaika was a Soviet–Afghan War paratrooper and a veteran, she also was a captain in the Soviet Army. You don't get more badass and tough than that.
Jan 24, 2018 6:13 AM

Jan 2016
Jan 24, 2018 6:14 AM

Jan 2018
HotaruKara said:
I think you should seriously reconsider Black Lagoon. You're missing out on the most badass female characters. And there's not even that much "fanservice", just that the main character, Revy, wears short shorts most of the time.

I agree with this. I haven't watched Black Lagoon in awhile, but from what I remember there really wasn't that much fanservice. I don't think back on it as a sexualized anime at all actually. Just had a bunch of badass female characters, and a crazy maid who could literally just walk through buildings and shit. XD Talking about it now makes me wanna re-watch it. It was really epic.
Jan 24, 2018 6:21 AM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Anime Discussion Board.
Jan 24, 2018 6:26 AM
Apr 2016
CSKaori said:
Shion said:
Eh.

There's the Chronological order, then the watch recommended watch order.

Recommended order:
-Fate/Stay Night (Deen's from '06)
-Fate/Zero
Any other Fate/Stay Night can be seen from ther. (If you're similar with Visual Novels, it's because Fate/Stay Night is a VN with three routes. They're alternate tellings of the same time period)

The reason you watch the '06 version first is because the visuals aren't as good (it is old) and jumping between EX-rank animation of the new ones to D- grade will make it very hard to watch.

After you watch that, you can watch the other Fate series any way you choose. Fate/Kalied (the Yuri/magic girl spinoff) is pretty famous and you've probably seen mentions of the recent Fate/Apocrypha. They're alternate universe/Timelines that could be seen any time.

Fate/Extra is coming out on the 28th, which is a big one. You don't have to watch any previous Fate/ series for that one either unless you want to know who the reoccurring characters are.

Also, I'll throw this out there:
Fate/Extra (the entire game series) and Fate/Stay Night are the only ones written by the original creator. This is why each series has different moods or styles (Fate/Zero is kinda gritty, Kalied is "cute and moe" and filled with shitty Yuri till the end of 3rd season, Apocrypha kinda funky.)
Fate/Stay Night and the others feel almost like a haram but aren't.
So some aren't for everyone, to say.
I hope I didn't confuse you.
I type too much.
Jan 24, 2018 6:42 AM
Apr 2016
-Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners)

-Re:Creators (The MC is a guy but plays role as narrator)

-Fate (already mentioned)

-Claymore (old but gold)

-Gundam Unicorn (RE:0096 is the TV version with Sawano Hiroyuki on the OST. OVA version same thing but different music and 40 minute eps.)

-Katanagatari (not part of the monogatari series- monogatari means "Story" so it's common to see)

-Kizumonogatari

-Lord Marksman and Vanadis

-Rage of the Bahamut (Genesis is season 1)

-Saga of Tanya the Evil (Youjo Senki)

-Aldermin on the Sky

-Qualidea Code

-Legend of Legendary Heroes

-Rokka no Yusha

-Hellsing Ultimate

-Drifters

-Valkyrie Chronicles

-Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere

-Ergo Proxy

Some may not be fit for what you seek, as "badass Female" is mostly an opinion. In otherwords, Though there are some universal badass females, I consider some others to be badass.
Jan 24, 2018 7:13 AM
Sep 2011
1) I'd steer clear of the Fate series unless you want "strong" female characters who are generally inferior in prowess to the dudes and suffer from generic secretly-obsessed-with-a-guy harem syndrome.

2) If you don't like fan-service/ecchi, you should stay far away from Cross-Ange.

Most other suggestions I've seen here are solid.
ClodRakerJan 24, 2018 7:17 AM
Jan 24, 2018 8:04 AM

May 2012
Pretty much everyone I might mention has been listed at some point. I'd agree that you should put Black Lagoon on your list. One of the strongest females in that show is the adolescent daughter of a Yakuza boss. Revy wears skimpy outfits which are both appropriate to the climate but do have a fanservice purpose. That's about it when it comes to fanservice in Black Lagoon.

Michiko in Michiko to Hatchin wears skimpy outfits, but she's in Brazil. Again her curvaceous body and outfits have a fanservice purpose, but they are not disempowering. In fact the anime was directed by a woman, Yamamoto Sayo. Her Lupin II: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna is full of nudity and sexuality, but again Fujiko's use of her appeal is a conscious choice. She's clearly has the upper hand in most every relationship we see.

Let me mention a few other shows that haven't yet appeared:

Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Shion no Ou - Shion is a Shougi prodigy; her strengths are mental.
Hataraki Man - Hiro survives overwork and patriarchy through force of will.
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko - Takes a lot of strength to survive in a world where you're the only ones alive.
Princess Principal
Gatchaman Crowds - why is this show so seldom mentioned?
The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Strong seconds for Moribito, Juuni Kokuki, Erin, Claymore

Jan 24, 2018 8:39 AM

Sep 2017
Toradora
But i think everybody has watched toradora
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2018 9:00 AM
Jul 2018
Attack on Titan ( Mikasa )
Black Lagoon ( All females are fuckin' Strong )
Claymore ( Same )
Kill la Kill
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Jan 24, 2018 10:35 AM
Jan 2018
RedInfinity said:
The most recent one that I know of is Houseki no Kuni, with Phos being a powerhouse of a mc.

If I recall it correctly Phos as a gem is genderless.

Although I get where you're coming from as they have pretty feminine features and a female voice actor.
Jan 24, 2018 10:50 AM

Oct 2014
@1048596beta

As you said, while the character may be genderless, they really are expressed as a female. Personally I considered them a 'she'.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 45 minutes ago

0 by Gfralp »»
45 minutes ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

6 by RaiYou »»
2 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Yesterday

4 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
5 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

20 by windyshadow »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.