Forum Settings
Forums

Human Again: Females in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Feedback and Comments

New
Jan 17, 2018 7:31 PM

Apr 2017
Written by @Feolkieer

Please leave any comments or feedback on the article here!

Rules:

• Be civil and polite at all times.
  • If you have criticisms, ensure that they are constructive and not personally attacking the writer.
  • If your feedback is about MAL Articles in general, please leave the suggestion here.
  • We encourage you to join our Discord server here!
MAL_ArticlesJan 21, 2018 9:46 PM
The official publishing account of the MAL Articles club.
Interested in writing or editing for us? Click here!

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 17, 2018 7:50 PM

Jul 2014
izumi blease
Jan 18, 2018 1:29 AM
Sep 2017
What about Izumi???? She has to be in the article!
Jan 19, 2018 4:05 PM
Jul 2018
I love many female characters from the series, especially Winry and Riza. :D I was so glad that I finally found a female character in a male-dominated field, who doesn't fulfill the tomboy-stereotypes and is still feminine.
Also she has a great and sad backstory and I really like her relationship with Ed.
Riza ofc is great too and others.
Yes, I miss Izumi too and Lan Fan. x3

Tho I don't get the paragraph about May Chang and Lust.
To begin with May Chang: Why is it problematic? Kids are like that. These things make characters more human to me and they show that she is still a kid. It's simply as that. They swarm about "stars" etc... that's completely normal behavior for many kids and teens.
Also I found Winry's thoughts very natural. Many people are thinking this way, when they are falling in love. And... ? ^^"

Also: Why would "problematic" character traits even matter? The series has an age rec for 15/16+. No need to make "idol characters". The audience is old enough, they don't need any imo.
Many people just are like that in real and so you don't have to take some of the human flaws or normal behaviors like May Chang's etc. away.

Lust: Well, she is just that way. People are different etc... and she should represent Lust in persona. She didn't have enough screen time to show more.
removed-userJan 19, 2018 4:12 PM
Jan 20, 2018 12:11 AM

Dec 2017
Nice article.

In regards to Lust though, I don't think the author making her the only female homunculus was a a way of saying that only females can represent the vice of Lust. Many plot points in FMA are very technical and scientific in nature, such as the explanation of how alchemy works, the ingredients of philosopher's stones, etc.

This translates over to the nature of the homunculi. Lust is the only female homunculus because she is the embodiment of Father's sexual desires. In short, she is supposed to be the representation of what he finds to be sexually attractive, which in this case, is beautiful women.

The other homunculi are male because they are extensions of Father and were created from him, which is why they all bare the same physical traits of their creator, which is that of a male body.

If Father were female, then all of the homunculi in turn would be female, with the exception of Lust, who would be male.

In regards to Wrath,
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Technical Quality vs. Enjoyment: A Strange Discrepancy - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Mar 1, 2018

8 by removed-user »»
May 11, 2022 4:12 PM

» Black, White, and Gray: What Makes an Antihero Work - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Aug 23, 2018

4 by utopica »»
Sep 1, 2021 5:23 PM

» Can an OP Character Be a Good Main Character? - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Apr 13, 2018

11 by WaifuMaster17 »»
Mar 8, 2020 12:19 PM

» Why Incest Appears So Often In Anime - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Jan 21, 2018

10 by AnchientProphet2 »»
Apr 3, 2019 8:26 AM

» Cowboy Bebop: Meaning Behind the Madness - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - May 14, 2018

2 by TomDay »»
Sep 14, 2018 6:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.