Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Altair: A Record of Battles
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 28, 2018 10:22 PM
Jul 2014
Enjoy the world building but the political plot is kinda boring. 6/10
Aug 29, 2018 5:55 PM

Jun 2011
Political anime tend to get boring fast, and easily, gotta give props to Mappa and the mangaka for making this a really enjoyable journey. While Mappa may have somewhat butchered the original source (according to the manga readers) this is still fairly enjoyable production with great music and decent enough animation. The characters have to be my favorite thing about the show though, such as Mahmut pasha, Zaganos, Cyrus and Abiriga are really enjoyable main cast, Mahmut, Cyrus and Abiriga commend each other pretty well.

Last third of the series hasn't been as good as the first two-third though, and not trying to be sexist but female characters in war just ruin the vibe for me, especially when they talk, talk, and talk even more.

A big downside to this show though is that they use a lot of terminology that weren't explained. There's a lot of foreign words that were never explained like we're supposed to get it.. (i found out there's a thread about it here but it's bothersome to keep checking) and to make matter worse, the translation by horriblesubs isn't even consistent.. they go from Chielo to Cielo, Torkiye to Torqye and that's just some of the example. It's already hard enough to remember all the terminology, the (god damn) names, and now the translation inconsistency. Honestly I lost track of stuffs a lot of times because I couldn't remember what's what when a convo keeps throwing out names.

Also I am sick of the Empire.. Louis stop trying to be all heroic and shit, remember you instigated the murder of the 4th prince from the Empire and tried to pin it on Turkiye? What "i am creating war because i am patriotic" bs? I can't believe Kokoschka and so many other people were tricked into believing his ideals.

would absolutely love a season 2, but I do want Cyrus back with Mahmut and Abiriga.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 18, 2020 12:20 PM

Jan 2010
Overall loved the settings and architecture throughout Altair. I also loved how hard the anime tried to be realistic and grounded, as well as trying to use economics as an alternative to war. The actual war scenes reminded me of Kingdom in how they maneuvered sections of armies, but smaller in scale. I definitely enjoyed the politics and economics more than the actual battles, as the politics and economics were a lot more complex to deal with. Altair definitely needed to be longer though to better detail some of its rushed episodes, as well as dealing with moments of art and animation drops.
Oct 19, 2020 2:26 PM

Dec 2015
Well this was surprisingly good i'm glad i picked it up after all this time loved the battles one of the best military fights in anime
Dec 28, 2020 11:51 PM
Jan 2020
damn, i thought he would actually adopt the cannon in warfare, but he just flat out reject it. The design was pretty outlandish though, because of the expanded outer rim, the cannonball trajectory would be pretty random. It would probably cause more harm than good. Though he claimed that civilians would be harmed, does he really want siege warfare to basically be just sitting outside the castle and waiting for them to starve to death and give up?

Although rejecting it would stick to his morals, considering his journey and maturity, I thought he would have adopted it for the Torquey.

Feb 20, 2021 7:56 AM

Dec 2012
Man, with a cliffhanger like that...one thing's for sure, this is one of the easiest manga pickups I'll be doing in a long time.

Overall, Altair ended up being a truly precious find. I found myself completely enthralled by this world of shadowy political intrigues as Mahmut went from a helpless, pure hearted idealist to a pasha who could enact his will through diplomacy & might alike. My favorite part of this journey was seeing Mahmut arm himself with knowledge & experience as he struggled to strike a balance between the reality of nation building and the ideal of peace that he seeks. And to that end, he found himself caught in a continuous paradox of obtaining peace through violent victory. Still, this series is able to convey a certain optimism towards Mahmut's ideals while still very much showing that intentions & feelings alone aren't enough to stop a clash of empires.

Altair also continuously delved into various philosophies through Mahmut's various interactions with different nations and their respective cultures. From the pragmatism of Venedik to the charity of Cielo, this series makes a humbling case for how vast the world is and how much there is to learn of it. I also really like how, for the most part, the major players in this series are all competent leaders who are simply acting in the interests of their nations. Even Louis, being the puppeteer that he was, wasn't entirely wrong to believe that empires have historically depended upon & thrived from continuous conquest & expansion. Rather than make a case of who's in the right, Altair presents the ideals & convictions of different characters who inevitably clash as they try to forward their will to power.

9/10
Jun 20, 2022 12:15 PM

Jul 2013
empire le bad
democrazy good
technologcal advancement bad, but we'd use them to pierce through shields then abandoning and completely forgetting about the existence of gunpowder after killing Balaban.
I hate Turkiye and everyone taking their side so much they're full of traitors.
Desperately need more anime like this, the anime industry is severely lacking on shows like Altair.
Sep 2, 2022 2:54 PM

Apr 2020
The beginning was a slog but the 2nd half was really good.
Hope it gets a sequel since it just ended in the middle of the war.
7/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Apr 4, 2023 1:42 AM
Nov 2019
A nice conclusion to a surprisingly entertaining anime.
Jun 21, 2023 8:42 PM
May 2020
Yes this was a slow burn but well worth it, too bad we won't get a second season
and from what I have read from the comments the whole project was rushed.

Overall a great series.
Dec 11, 2023 8:49 PM

Dec 2022
That talk between Zaganos and Mahmut was great. I always had the feeling that, even though he appears to be cold and calculating, Zaganos' motivations stemmed from an unquenchable pit of rage.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

47 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 10, 2023 10:48 PM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

41 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 10, 2023 5:43 AM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2017

42 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 8, 2023 11:58 PM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2017

46 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:41 PM

Poll: » Shoukoku no Altair Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2017

28 by antoninus_v »»
Dec 4, 2023 7:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.