Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 19, 2017 3:12 AM

Oct 2014
Not sure I'm posting this in the correct place, but I wanted to discuss why when I write a review on here, it asks me to rank the 'Art,' but when I look at my review it gives that score to 'Animation.' Animation is only a very small part of what goes into my score for art. I look things like art design, art direction, color palette, character designs, directing, angles, etc. when I'm deciding on a score for 'Art.' In fact, I don't think I've ever even mentioned animation or animation quality in any of my 33 reviews so far. I feel like MAL pulled the old switcheroo on me. Like, why does it do this change ONLY on Art? Does everyone see what I'm talking about or am I going crazy?

Since this is a forum post, let's discuss:

1. What anime that have great animation, but terrible art (whatever that means to you)?
I nominate Sword Art Online for this. The animation is good, but the directing makes me nauseous.

2. What anime have great art, but terrible animation?
I wanna say something like Chobits. The character designs are adorable, but it's noticeably low budget.
Nov 19, 2017 3:23 AM

Jul 2013
I think that animation is just a part of the art, really it should just be called visuals.

1. Occult nine, I didn't watch very far in, but the art seemed to be quite good. The animation on the other hand, wasn't.

2. Only one I can think of is Hetalia, sorta.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Nov 19, 2017 4:23 AM

Apr 2012
I'd break it down as:

Art: How good the pictures are.
Animation: How smoothly and evocatively they move.
Direction: How well it all works to convey the story things, includes camera angles etc.

URAHARA this season has lovely art but very limited animation.
Nov 19, 2017 4:35 AM

Apr 2016
It doesn't matter, the thing that matter the most in depth.

But beware, there are many meanings of "depth" in anime.
Nov 19, 2017 4:58 AM

Nov 2014
Art's the character design.

Animation is a combination of how fluid the animation is and the detail of animation.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 19, 2017 5:04 AM
Aug 2016
Why does the directing fall into the category of art?
AsltNov 19, 2017 5:08 AM
Nov 19, 2017 5:19 AM

Oct 2014
Fuchsia said:
I think that animation is just a part of the art, really it should just be called visuals.

That would make a lot more sense

Aslt said:

Where else would it go? It has to do with visual presentation. Like Fuchsi said, that would be a better term for it.

Swagernator said:
It doesn't matter, the thing that matter the most in depth.

But beware, there are many meanings of "depth" in anime.

To you, maybe. A lot of people don't watch anime for depth whatsoever.
Nov 19, 2017 5:28 AM
Aug 2016
Falco2424 said:

Aslt said:

Where else would it go? It has to do with visual presentation. Like Fuchsi said, that would be a better term for it.

Director's role is to interpret the screenplay with the visuals and audio he's given (+other things blah blah).
But, I guess that you meant the Animation Director, a person in charge of everything related to the animation, so I sorta take it back.

He didn't say anything like that, this is his reply:
Fuchsia said:

Do you see the word "directing" here? Because I don't.
AsltNov 19, 2017 5:46 AM
Nov 19, 2017 5:47 AM

Oct 2014
Aslt said:
Falco2424 said:

Director's role is to interpret the screenplay with the visuals and audio he's given (+other things blah blah).
But, I guess that you meant the Animation Director, a person in charge of everything related to the animation.

He didn't say anything like that, this is his reply:
Fuchsia said:

Do you see the word "directing" here? Because I don't.

I was referring to what I quoted, just the he said that it should be called visuals. And the director would most definitely be included in art/visuals. He's literally responsible for what is seen on screen. If that's not part of the visuals, nothing is. Saying what shots go where, at what speed, and at what cuts is an art in itself.
Nov 19, 2017 6:39 AM

Jul 2015
@Falco2424 While I agree that animation is the wrong term and doesn't encompass everything that has to do with visuals, I fail to see how directing should fall under the "visuals" aspect. It's so much broader, like use of the soundtrack, pacing, and generally doing things for more purposes than simply being pretty (because any use of a technique or design choice or whatever is more interesting when it's tied to the story or themes and relevant rather than just pretty)
Nov 19, 2017 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
Example of this of good animation but... well I wouldn't say bad art, but its more or less a thing that a lot of people get turned off on: Pokemon Sun & Moon. The animation is crisp and well done, however the art is degraded as sacrifice for that.

Example of bad animation with good art: The most recent example for me would be Fate/kaleid Liner Prisma Illya film. It has decent art to some good art, however the animation is pretty limited and it seems like it lost a lot of frames for me.
Nov 19, 2017 4:37 PM

Oct 2015
Most would say Ping Pong has bad art (I think It's fine) but the animation and direction were top notch.
Nov 19, 2017 4:48 PM
Apr 2016
Art is short for ''Artwork'', and the artwork is everything refered to the visuals of the show that doesnt move, like the character designs and the backgrounds. Many shows have great artwork but very limited or outright bad animation. This season's Mahotsukai no Yome, for example, has quite limited animation for the most part, without much movement, but the artwork is so consistently great that you dont even notice it.

Other series sacrifice detail in their artwork in exchange for more fluid, expresive animation, or maybe for artistic and budgetary purposes. Some easy examples are Ping Pong the Animation and Mob Psycho 100, both have simple character desings and backgrounds, that allow the animators to go crazy with the movement in the action scenes, everything is full of movement and color.

To have very detailed artwork and fluid animation at the same time, you need to do freaking wizardry, unless we are talking about a high budget feature movie. You can see this in any Hayao Miyazaki film, in the rebuilds of evangelion, etc. Some tv shows that manage to have both detailed artwork and tons of animation are Kill la Kill (wich manages it by being quite... particular in the kind of animation and movement it has) and Kyoto Animation shows (wizardry).

The directing is what makes everything come together. A badly directed show can still have great artwork an animation, but since its badly directed, it will look like shit anyway (as you said, SAO is a mild example of this).

The directing dictates the flow of the scene, camera angles, transition from scene to scene... the director also choses wich shots will be in every scene. The editing and intercutting of the frames is done by the editor, wich might or might not be involved with the director, wich might or might not be the screenwriter for the show. Im not very sure about this last paragraph, i havent worked in film industry or anything, mostly talking out of my ass anyway.
Jans6everNov 19, 2017 4:53 PM
Nov 19, 2017 4:54 PM

Aug 2014
It need to balance itself

Most of KyoAni/ufotable anime had both aspect.
A-1 mainly focus on art the animation are slight better to average.
Ufotable have better animation than Kyoani though despite being equal.

Great animation would go between Madhouse/ufotable tittle, Something like One Punch i guess?

Still on animation something like Konosuba had good animation but terrible art though aestitically it based on comedy so its reasonable.

Moving on Art like i mentioned A-1 Studio (Sword arts) Made In abyss (forgot the studio), Shaft (Undoubtly unique but also simplified).
Nov 19, 2017 5:01 PM

Feb 2015
>SAO

Ohhh I just know how it'll end. May this thread go back to 2015.
Nov 19, 2017 5:59 PM

Jan 2016
Art is just basically how it looks in a still frame while animation is how it moves.
Another difference is that judging art is subjective while judging animation can be objectively done. Since animation deals with more concrete stuff like the frame by frame movement, the fluidity of said movement etc. etc.

That said to answer your questions:
-I hated Ping Pong's art but it moves really well. You can just go frame by frame and ravel at the great movement.
-Mahouka's art is pleasing to my eye but it has rigid animation. The art actually limited how it moves.
Nov 19, 2017 6:11 PM

Dec 2014
You're better off ignoring MAL's blanket parameters and just writing the review you wish to write. If the art-style is unappealing to due the director's decision is that a problem with the art, the direction, or neither? Is minimal movement and basic back-grounds always the result of a low budget? Or could it be a directorial choice? Is there a set standard a director should have to conform to? It always comes back to an individual's opinion on the matter.
Nov 19, 2017 7:25 PM

Feb 2016
I feel like you're a bit confused as to when to use "direction"......
Nov 20, 2017 4:12 PM

Oct 2014
Clebardman said:
@Falco2424 While I agree that animation is the wrong term and doesn't encompass everything that has to do with visuals, I fail to see how directing should fall under the "visuals" aspect. It's so much broader, like use of the soundtrack, pacing, and generally doing things for more purposes than simply being pretty (because any use of a technique or design choice or whatever is more interesting when it's tied to the story or themes and relevant rather than just pretty)

Well, I'm not saying that everything the director does falls strictly and solely under visuals, but a big part of it does.

Also, I have not seen basically any of the shows you guys have mentioned lol. I'll need to check out Ping Pong and what not. Since we started mentioning things that have both great artwork and great animation, my two top picks for that are Casshern Sins and Bakemonogatari. They're the only two shows I've seen that I've given a 10 in the visuals category.

Also, no one really answered if they were bothered by MAL changing the category from the review writing side (art) to the review viewing side (animation). That really bothered me.
Nov 20, 2017 5:58 PM

Oct 2015
>casshern
>great animation
>...
>mfw
Weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but female and not incel: :soyjackwow:
weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but male and incel: :npcangry:
Nov 23, 2017 1:40 PM

Sep 2017
Konosuba 2 is an example of this. I still dont care much about the art or animation. Im more in the story or ost part.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017

More topics from this board

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

Semester1 - Yesterday

55 by animeadept »»
3 minutes ago

» Opposite sex AND same sex characters you most relate to

IpreferEcchi - 4 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you love your favorite character?

Shizuna - May 27

18 by Shizuna »»
6 minutes ago

» Secondary characters

JoeChip - 54 minutes ago

6 by kurayamiberkay »»
22 minutes ago

» What are considered 'the best anime clothes'?

SgtBateMan - 1 hour ago

5 by Spunkert »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.