Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 18, 2017 4:01 AM
Oct 2017
Just started volume 2 but am wondering if, to get the best chronology, whether there is a show/special/film or series I should go to first?

Also, where's best to purchase volume's 4/5/6 online for UK delivery, cheap?

Thanks for any and all advice in advance :)
Nov 18, 2017 8:37 AM

Jan 2010
I'd say if you plan to watch the anime eventually, I advice you to watch the anime first before manga. However the anime is huge, so there's that.
Or just read the manga. I personally like watching than reading. And I don't like watching after reading the manga first either.

Idk about the best place to purchase manga though
Nov 18, 2017 10:26 AM

May 2015
I've heard many people say that the anime is shit after a certain point. Many people debate on what that point is, but I mostly see the time skip/New World sited as the starting point. I decided to read the manga after hearing that, and I did the math and realized that it would take me twice as long to catch up with the anime compared to the manga.

So I'd say it comes down to whether you like watching or reading more, and how much time you're willing to spend.

Also, I think Book Depository is a good place to buy manga in the UK. A lot of manga haul channels on YT recommend it. I don't live in the UK though, so I don't know how good it would be for you.

Nov 18, 2017 11:24 AM

Jan 2014
Well I don't read manga.. like at all. The only exception is Hunter x Hunter and Magi, but even then it's rare. I'm on episode 31 of One Piece and I like the show so far.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 18, 2017 1:43 PM
Nov 2017
I would say to read the manga. The anime is good for a while but the showrunners Toei I believe do their best to stretch things out to ridiculous lengths. Not for suspense just to make episodes longer. The manga will be much easier to catch up on and what I did was read the manga online and buy the volumes on the book depository website. That's my opinion.
Nov 18, 2017 2:52 PM

Dec 2015
Read the manga, it's far less time consuming and as such will become a bother / a tedious work to go through much later than the Tv show would, also the graphical quality is relatively constant and the course of the tempo doesn't suffer as much as in the series.

Bookdepositery (url is bookdepositOry) is pretty reliable as a UK provider, even for me who live in France.
I just found this american box on their website: https://www.bookdepository.com/One-Piece-Box-Set-East-Blue-Baroque-Works-Volumes-1-23-with-premium-Eiichiro-Oda/9781421560748
23 tomes for the price of only 9 tomes seems like a good deal (but I don't know the quality of Viz's releases).

If you can, better buy UK publications rather than expensive pocket size manga from VIZ and other US companies who are sold at 10-11 dollars piece(!!). Though, if you read french, then go with Glénat's edition, french prices are "decent" as far as non-japanese editions go: 6€50 to 6€90.

@babycomet Have a nice time reading then.
Rei_IIINov 19, 2017 12:15 PM
Nov 19, 2017 3:43 AM
Oct 2017
I am really enjoying reading the manga actually, finding it quite a nice break from the screen, so I'll probably just stick to them for the minute.

I have vols 1-3 then 7-9 and 9-12 just found out how much more there are too! I have my reading cut out for me... Haha

Will check out the book depository but then I guess Amazon will probably suffice if not
Nov 21, 2017 4:03 AM

Feb 2016
Watch the anime it's great you will lose alot if you didn't watch it but take your time and don't rush it

Once you catch up switch to the mangaka

Believe me I did the same and it was the best Decision ever....

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1113 Discussion

FMmatron - Apr 23

33 by Kanelbullar »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 799 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Georesa - Sep 2, 2015

228 by KenjaTimer »»
Yesterday, 6:46 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 798 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2015

138 by KenjaTimer »»
Yesterday, 6:44 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1112 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 16

32 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 8:44 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veronin - Nov 1, 2009

73 by crumb_fr »»
Apr 22, 3:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.