Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 1, 2017 5:21 PM

Mar 2014
Why did the English translators go with "Mr. Osomatsu" for the official English series title?

Not only does it sound so lame and awkward, but I also can't think of any translation of "Osomatsu-kun" that would work alongside it...

"Jr. Osomatsu"? Bleh.
"Little Osomatsu"? Nah...

Normally this kind of thing doesn't bother me too much, but when I went on Tubi TV and saw the logo that you can see in the screencap below, it really freaked me out knowing that the name truly is here to stay.

I'm trying to think of alternative English titles they could have went with, but can't think of anything. Does anybody have any that they would have preferred? :)
::End of Transmission::

Nov 1, 2017 5:30 PM

Nov 2013
"Osomatsu-san" is the Japanese title which means "Mr. Osomatsu" in English.
Nov 2, 2017 3:53 AM

Mar 2014
Blarey said:

You're mistaken. The honorific "san" is not exactly the same as "mr", they're just very similar. Similar enough where this is the most common translation, but it's not 100% accurate or anything. There's room for interpretation to have a better sounding title.

Nov 2, 2017 4:00 AM

Apr 2012
More importantly why didn't they translate the pun?
(osomatsu = poor; lame; ill-prepared)
Nov 2, 2017 10:46 AM

Nov 2013
vigorousjammer said:
Blarey said:

You're mistaken. The honorific "san" is not exactly the same as "mr", they're just very similar. Similar enough where this is the most common translation, but it's not 100% accurate or anything. There's room for interpretation to have a better sounding title.

I really don't see the problem with the title, all they changed was the "kun" honorific to "san", basically san is used as a sign of respect to someone (male or female), "kun" honorific is used when speaking to someone younger than you or the same age.

So maybe since it's been decades since the old version of the show, now that they are older the "san" honorific is more appropriate?

Or do you have something better in mind?
Nov 2, 2017 2:38 PM

Mar 2014
Blarey said:
I really don't see the problem with the title, all they changed was the "kun" honorific to "san", basically san is used as a sign of respect to someone (male or female), "kun" honorific is used when speaking to someone younger than you or the same age.

So maybe since it's been decades since the old version of the show, now that they are older the "san" honorific is more appropriate?

Or do you have something better in mind?

I take no issue with the Japanese title, I'm talking about the English translated title.

EratiK said:
More importantly why didn't they translate the pun?
(osomatsu = poor; lame; ill-prepared)

Ah, true. Maybe this is why I have a problem with it, because they shoved the English in with the Japanese.
If they called it "Mr. Lameo" or "Mr. Slacker", then I could at least understand where they were going with it.
Actually, I think "Slacker Boys" and "Slacker Men" could have worked. Even though the title is technically only referring to Osomatsu himself, I kind of always think of the title as referring to all six of them in a way.

Nov 10, 2017 5:03 PM

May 2013
vigorousjammer said:
If they called it "Mr. Lameo" or "Mr. Slacker", then I could at least understand where they were going with it.
Actually, I think "Slacker Boys" and "Slacker Men" could have worked. Even though the title is technically only referring to Osomatsu himself, I kind of always think of the title as referring to all six of them in a way.

I think they should have gone with the original name, it's not like it's particularly hard to pronounce or anything.
Nov 11, 2017 5:08 AM

Mar 2014
telmo_trooper said:
vigorousjammer said:

I think they should have gone with the original name, it's not like it's particularly hard to pronounce or anything.

That too. They subtitle "san" and "kun" into basically everything anyway. People know what it generally means.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Osomatsu-san 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2018

40 by phantom346 »»
Mar 24, 2:18 AM

Poll: » Osomatsu-san 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2018

20 by phantom346 »»
Mar 22, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Osomatsu-san 2nd Season Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2018

49 by phantom346 »»
Mar 22, 2:48 PM

Poll: » Osomatsu-san 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2017

26 by phantom346 »»
Mar 18, 10:18 PM

Poll: » Osomatsu-san 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2017

31 by phantom346 »»
Mar 18, 5:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.