Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2017 2:47 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh sweet, they jumped into the magic elements of this anime right away.

A lot of the scenes from the episode reminds me of the OVA. Asta is so hotblooded tbh. The first episode introduced the main concepts of the show. Yuno is more noticable for his talent already while Asta is more of the underdog. However, this kid does show potential.

I think it was overall alright episode although I really wish they had more content shown besides from the OVA. Introduced some concepts of the story and this show will probably focus more on their development.
Stark700Oct 3, 2017 2:55 AM
Oct 3, 2017 2:49 AM

Jun 2013
Sigh, I am going to freaking need somehow make my computer show Japan tv live somehow..searched Vaughn Live site up and low and not single channel showed Black Clover.

Well have been waiting for this. Let's see where this goes.

*EDIT*

So Start and Promise between these 2 that will shape their grow up and somewhat the World from here on....has begun....

Asta is like Rock Lee..X) Genius of Hard Work....especially in the World where those with 0 Magic Power and Commoner on Top of that, are Treated like lower than a Trash.

But...Asta got Perfect Weapon Against arrogant Mages...Anti-Mage Sword..XD So nice to see future Enemis Knocked Down Peg or 10...
JarjaxleOct 3, 2017 3:22 AM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Oct 3, 2017 3:45 AM

Nov 2014
At first glance, I thought it's gonna be another cliche shounen anime, especially with this rival thing, the mc being hyperactive, loud, bash, being looked down upon, and his rival being quiet, dark hair, strong, everyone likes him... Then it turns out that this rivalry is a friendly competition. They don't hate each other. And they actually are friends, instead of this love-hate relationship between frenemy. Despite the main character having a strong demon power (like how Naruto has Kyuubi, Maliodas has sin of wrath...etc), Yuno, his rival, wasn't jealous of him, even if he's always been the stronger one (except when he's younger), now even though Asta turned out to have the "stronger" power, he still treats him the same. This made this anime bearable (at the very least) to watch, despite the heavy shounen cliches and setups. The character relationship are interesting and different. I hope this friendly rivalry will continue and one of them (most likely Yuno) won't turn dark or something. I hope it stays like Gon/Killua (this floating book thing DOES remind me of Greed Island lol).
Oct 3, 2017 3:49 AM
Oct 2013
Its a pure breed mainstream anime....😍😍
Oct 3, 2017 4:11 AM

Mar 2016
that was a nice first episode.

i really really like Asta (i cant help but root for an underdog)
Oct 3, 2017 4:18 AM

Dec 2015
Nothing Much at this Episode Yet if U Watched the OVA cause its like the OVA ones
The Ova im Talking About : https://myanimelist.net/anime/33950/Black_Clover
but still it was a nice ep
Oct 3, 2017 4:25 AM
Apr 2017
Waiting for episode to release on site excited for first episode
Oct 3, 2017 4:27 AM

Jun 2014
I honestly got a headache trying to watch this. Dropped within the first 5 minutes. Good luck tolerating Asta's voice actor, the series is already bad enough as it is. Animation was pretty shitty and you know Pierrot, I won't be surprised if they put in a lot of effort in the first episode, even if it doesn't show much and the rest is going to be downhill and much worse.
alpha_shadowOct 3, 2017 4:30 AM
:3
Oct 3, 2017 4:28 AM

Apr 2017
I think the story is going to be fun.
But I think we can all agree, that Asta's screaming is super annoying and really just unnecessary.
The characters look good, their designs look cool, but as of right now, they are just cliche Shounen characters, I sincerely hope they get some kind of development, because otherwise they are going to be bland as heck.
Oct 3, 2017 4:30 AM

Jun 2014
I really disliked the mc, other than that, seems ok.

I hope he stops that retarded attitude and yelling after discovering his powers, or I'll probably drop it.
Cazador75Oct 3, 2017 4:33 AM
Oct 3, 2017 4:33 AM

Jul 2012
Pretty nice start, gotta get used to Asta's voice, imagined it differently even since the OVA.
The last part Asta getting grimoire animated looked really cool. I wonder how far they're planning to go with this adaptation.
Oct 3, 2017 4:37 AM
Jul 2018
People weren't kidding that this series is very shounen, but everything else looks ok.
Oct 3, 2017 4:39 AM
Jan 2014
Yikes this was bad. Didn't know it was possible to have a more annoying MC than Deku, but here it is. This is shonen, boys.
Oct 3, 2017 4:42 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The only thing that really bothered me was the shouting from Asta. Can you get anymore obnoxious?

Also CGI chains but we expected that from the PV.

Otherwise fairly entertaining and i really liked the animation.

Clear comparisons to Naruto and Sasuke obviously.
Oct 3, 2017 4:44 AM

Jun 2015
Asta's voice takes a little bit to get used to, but overall it's a really good start. Combination of the shouting and Asta's VA makes it a little unbearable.

Oct 3, 2017 4:45 AM
Feb 2016
Asta's voice killed the whole episode for me. Grating on my ears. i might actually drop the show because of his voice. >.>

P.S: i guess his voice fits his character.
Oct 3, 2017 4:49 AM

Aug 2016
Ah... so MC is the loud type huh?

Well did not really expect much more than a typical shounen from this from what I heard about the manga, and this introduction like episode did not really change that, but yeah overall it looks still quite interesting, not that original but let's see how this will go.

Oct 3, 2017 4:50 AM

Mar 2016
Expected more from this episode. Really like the manga so I hope Pierrot doesn't ruin this.

EnvyKills said:
Asta's voice killed the whole episode for me. Grating on my ears. i might actually drop the show because of his voice. >.>

Had the same feeling the voice of asta is legit earache.
Oct 3, 2017 4:51 AM
Dec 2016
The animation looks good, and good to see that the magical element was introduced quickly. Help to retain interest and attention.

This is definitely a pure-blooded shonen.
Oct 3, 2017 4:56 AM

Jun 2016
Just a question: should I watch the alternate version before this? Because there's an alternate version and what the hell is that? Lmfao.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 3, 2017 4:58 AM
May 2017
dvbx_073 said:
Expected more from this episode. Really like the manga so I hope Pierrot doesn't ruin this.

EnvyKills said:

Had the same feeling the voice of asta is legit earache.

eh! Asta's voice actor is seriously annoying to listen.
Oct 3, 2017 4:58 AM
Jul 2010
A bit too generic for my taste, but I'll keep watching.

Came here to see if anyone was troubled over Asta's voice acting, since it seems the VA can't keep the volume down. I know he's supposed to be loud, llively and whatnot, but it's the first time I've been this disappointed with how someone sounds in an anime. It's almost unbearable to listen to.
Oct 3, 2017 5:01 AM

Aug 2013
Good first episode. Baby Asta kicking the church guy was funny.

Oct 3, 2017 5:01 AM

Apr 2016
"And the fifth leaf represent edgyness"

Did seriously someone pay for this in nippon ? like seriously ? not way...

- Screaming kid MC, that is screaming his ass off on every direction - check.
- Second Edgy black haired kid that is OP - check.
- Screams, screams, screams - check.
- MC awakens hidden power just in time - check.

This was generic beyond realm of genericness.

People constantly asking what can happen if Kim launch nuke on Nippon, well, ... THIS is what will happen.

GARBAGE/10

That MAL score is joke.
Oct 3, 2017 5:02 AM

Oct 2011
It's been about 30 minutes since I finished the episode and I still have a slight headache from listening to the main character's voice.

Other than that, show is about as generic as a battle shounen can possibly be. Will keep watching for a few more episodes, for that's about as far as I made it in the manga.
Oct 3, 2017 5:02 AM

Apr 2016
looks like Naruto repeat for me.

But let's see what it's about this magic and especially the books.

hopefully it will be as exciting and entertaining as HxH.
Oct 3, 2017 5:03 AM
Jun 2015
Not a bad start imo. Yeah Asta's voice was really annoying but if you look at the cast for this show, this looks like a debut role for Asta's voice actor. Maybe that explains some things. I think this has potential to be pretty good!
Oct 3, 2017 5:04 AM

Jun 2016
its not completely terrible... but the Actor for Asta - the newbie voice actor: Gakuto Kajiwara... sounds like a FRICKING CROW THAT WONT STOP CAWING, and its even worse that hes constantly screaming.... excessively, incessantly and unceasingly
It grates on my ears..
I liked Yuno a bit.
Lots of Tropes.. borderlining on cliche.
Looks decently animated at the very least
The sword at the end, along with the clover leaf thing, is the only good part of the episode
It was nice to see animated, but id give the episode a 6/10. it was passable at least, but thats me ignoring how annoying his voice was if i weighed my annoyance with that itd be a 4 or 5 at best... . id rather listen to dubbed naruto @.@

Since i read half of the first volume at my book store and kinda liked it, i may have to consume this story that way if this doesnt improve a bit, and i somehow get less annoyed with Asta. Ill give it another episode or two, but i have a feeling i wont finish this, and ill just go back to Hero Aca.
OneArmedBanditOct 3, 2017 5:16 AM
Oct 3, 2017 5:06 AM
Mar 2016
TheDoggoneGirl said:
Just a question: should I watch the alternate version before this? Because there's an alternate version and what the hell is that? Lmfao.

That's just an OVA. It's basically the same as episode 1 just a worse adaptation.
Oct 3, 2017 5:08 AM

Sep 2016
WOW HAND SHAKERS STYLE AWUFL CG IRON CHAIN!!!

what a super generic anime. it's like Naruto and Fairy Tail had sex and got a children. at least it's quite entertaining with got good ol' genki protagonist. surely can't be worse than Boring no Hero Macademia.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 3, 2017 5:11 AM

Jul 2012
I thought that maybe MC's screaming was supposed to be that long and loud because he was portrayed like that in the manga... but I guess not.

Also, the story seems a bit too generic, how all the characters acted felt plain, too. I never had any expectations when I started this anime but I wonder if I'll keep watching. Typical shounen anime is even better than this...
Oct 3, 2017 5:12 AM

Dec 2015
Someone make Asta shut up! It's probably one of the most annoying voices I've ever heard in anime. And the plot is the definition of bad cliche.
Oct 3, 2017 5:17 AM

Jan 2017
The episode was very similar to the OVA. Unfortunately Asta's voice was difficult to listen to when he started his shouting. I wonder how different things will be when the dub comes along.
Oct 3, 2017 5:18 AM

Jun 2016
thiago52192 said:
Someone make Asta shut up! It's probably one of the most annoying voices I've ever heard in anime..

thatd be because he has never voice acted before in anime, so its definitely different from the norm.. dont worry i got annoyed with the crow cawing as well
Oct 3, 2017 5:19 AM
Mar 2016
Asta's voice is so irritating..i actually loved OVA...now it sucks..such a disappointment...
Oct 3, 2017 5:19 AM

May 2015
Wtf is this rating ?
It's beyond generic, you just know what's going to happen before it does happen.
For now it's really average, borderline bad, I'll watch two or three more episode to see if it goes in a better direction but for now, meh.
Oct 3, 2017 5:26 AM
Jul 2018
Hopefully the va learns that you don't have to stretch your damn wooooooooooooooooooooooooords. The voice acting in the mc is grating tbh. I love the series and hopefully pierriot pushes the guy to come off less annoying as the series goes on. The animation and art was nice though.

I'll keep watching since I've read the manga and know that it actually gets better; becoming it's own thing.
Oct 3, 2017 5:30 AM

Dec 2013
Glad to see I'm not the only one hating on the constantly screaming from Asta at the end of everything he says. And the voice actor doesn't go well with screams from what I heard.

Besides that tho I thought the first episode was interesting enough to keep watching it.

It does remind me of Naruto tho, the Asta and Yuno thing.

Oct 3, 2017 5:34 AM

Jun 2007
I watched the OVA before watching this, so it's safe to say that the OVA was basically a pilot. After watching the OVA I was not impressed, but because this is going to continue on the story, I thought that there's no harm in continuing it on.

But it's just cliche shounen trash!
I would not mind if someone who has read a bit further into the manga to message me and tell me one instant in the story that makes it stand out compared to the other shounen dribble that gets thrown out there.
Oct 3, 2017 5:36 AM

Jun 2016
TheEnhancedExe said:
TheDoggoneGirl said:

That's just an OVA. It's basically the same as episode 1 just a worse adaptation.

So, watching its OVA is unnecessary then? Thank you.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 3, 2017 5:38 AM

Apr 2013
I came to skim through a scene after hearing about how annoying the MC's voice is, and I can't stop laughing.

This character epitomizes this particular genre. Don't complain now, because he's what you guys deserve. Lol.
Oct 3, 2017 5:39 AM

Jul 2010
Fuck, I didn't like the manga and had some hope seeing Toei wasn't the studio to put its hands into this license (so perhaps the battles will be entertaining at least), but they made the MC way too obnoxious. Ruined.
Oct 3, 2017 5:47 AM
Oct 2016
Asta's VA dragging out his long ass screams was heck annoying :/ overall, a really bad collection of every cliche possible with almost non-existant world building (the side characters had NO depth to them at all). I really, really hope that this pilot episode is just testing the waters so to speak because it has a lot of potential IF they do their world building properly (like wtf is with the grimoire leaf symbolism) AND they flesh out the characters beyond generic shounen tropes and "plot" props. So I think I'll be following it tentatively, for now...
Oct 3, 2017 5:48 AM

Jul 2012
Beatrice-KF said:
Fuck, I didn't like the manga and had some hope seeing Toei wasn't the studio to put its hands into this license (so perhaps the battles will be entertaining at least), but they made the MC way too obnoxious. Ruined.

Toei would've been a better choice, studio Pierrot ruins around more than half the shows they animate.
Oct 3, 2017 5:48 AM

Jun 2014
Pretty textbook shounen tbh, and I definitely see why so many people have mentioned that this is basically a combination of Naruto and Fairy Tail. I see that clearly. I'll keep an open mind though and hope that this will become better eventually, hopefully establishing its own identity instead of being similar to other things that came before it.

This episode, though, contained a lot of the typical shounen elements. Hyperactive MC, rival character whose personality is literally the exact opposite of the MC, MC is an underdog that's disadvantaged compared to everyone else, MC has a goal that they want to achieve (which is pretty much the whole point of the story) that seems totally impossible given his situation, making him a laughingstock, and when he and others around him are in danger, he finally unlocks his special hidden power just in time. And that was just in this episode......

And for fucks sake, could Asta be any more obnoxious? That was the most annoying voice I've ever heard. I know his VA is new, but still, you don't need to drag out the final word of every sentence. After a single episode I think Asta is, for me personally, the most annoying shounen MC I've EVER seen.

Swagernator said:
GARBAGE/10

That MAL score is joke.

The score of the show immediately after it starts usually means nothing anyway, as it's most likely going to be much lower by the end of today.
thebrentinator24Oct 3, 2017 5:55 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 3, 2017 5:50 AM

Dec 2015
it's good so far! can't wait for the second episode.
Oct 3, 2017 5:53 AM

Jun 2016
Is this main brat voiced by a parrot? Needs English dub, they usually have less annoying voices.
Oct 3, 2017 5:56 AM
Aug 2013
loved it cant wait for more
Sanity... what would I do with a useless thing like that?
Oct 3, 2017 5:58 AM

Aug 2014
The voice acting for Asta is annoying, usually i would let this slide if it was a side character, but since he is on the center stage i might drop this. I will give it my usual 3 episodes before making a choice though.
Oct 3, 2017 6:06 AM

Jul 2017
MC's voice will take some getting used to. Listening to him yell like an idiot every few seconds with that voice gets grating real fast.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2020

75 by DrCarlosRamos »»
Apr 25, 10:14 PM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 144 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2020

35 by Vindicater »»
Apr 25, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 143 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2020

49 by Vindicater »»
Apr 25, 3:49 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 142 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2020

71 by Vindicater »»
Apr 24, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 141 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2020

75 by Vindicater »»
Apr 23, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.